Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Non Rangefinder Cameras > SLRs - the unRF

SLRs - the unRF For those of you who must talk about SLRs, if only to confirm they are not RF.

Old 12-21-2012   #376
ruby.monkey

I think Jon Goodman (interslice as was) still sells his light seal kits? If so, 't'would be hard to find better. Try contacting him at [email protected].

Old 12-21-2012   #377
menos

Hey thanks a bunch! I contacted Jon - he has lots of satisfied customers regarding his light seal kits obviously ;-)
Looking forward, using that F3 again!

Old 12-21-2012   #378
agoglanian
Roaming.

Jon has always had what I needed for resealing every camera I've asked about. Great guy!

That grip on the F3p is SO AWESOME. I want one! I also want an F3P while I'm talking about wants

Kind of already want to buy another F3 (an HP this time) to go with mine so I can run a dual lens setup.

Analog - Digital

.Blog. // .Website.

Old 12-26-2012   #379
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mw_uio View Post
Lord Nikon - where did you obtain your F3 grip? Very cool looking!

Mark
Quito, EC
A fellow RFF'er had the grip for sale in the classified.

Cal

Nikon F3 Tribute
Old 12-26-2012   #380
Walter Leporati
Silver Gelatin

Nikon F3 Tribute

I would also like to get a grip like that for my F3. Do you know the name of the RFF'er name?? Thanks
Walter Leporati

Old 12-26-2012   #381
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Leporati View Post
I would also like to get a grip like that for my F3. Do you know the name of the RFF'er name?? Thanks
Walter Leporati
I don't remember his name, but he was not a dealer. The seller was just a regular guy like use selling some used gear. These grips are not that common, and I was lucky.

Cal

Old 12-26-2012   #382
ianstamatic

My F3 I have had since my early 20's.
It has fallen off tripods onto concrete several times, the previous owner said it had been submerged in salt water, I took thousands of shots with it. I used to get it serviced once a year as i was using it as my main camera. It is a rock of a camera.

My site

My Blog
My Instagram

Rollei 2.8E, II and Vb, Autocord, Ricoh Diacord +225, Ikoflex
Leica M3 x2 + CL, Contax G1 +28 +45 +90, Rollei 35s, Nikon F3, Lynx 14, Oly OM1, 35RC, 35SP,Konica EE, S2
Fuji gs645 folder +645W, Agfa Isolette's J,I, III, Iskra x2, Welta Waltur x2, Zenobia x3, Super Ikonta 532/16, ZI Nettar
Mamiya RZ Pro x2 bods, 50, 65, 110, 180, 240
Crown Graphic, Toyo 45a : 75 + 90 + 120 +135 +150 + 203 + 210 + 240
PhotoTherm SSK-8R, Aztec Drum Scanner

Old 12-26-2012   #383
maggieo
More Deadly

Still going strong, even with heavyweight competition:

The Three Tenors, December 23, 2012 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

Old 12-26-2012   #384
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Nikon View Post
Cal was kind enough to bring his 58F1.2 and his (very cool) F3p to the NYC area meet a couple weeks ago. I snapped some pics of his camera.

All of these were shot with the Nikon 58F1/2

The following photo was taken with my Ricoh GRD-IV

A few taken with the very impressive Noct Nikkor wide open, or close enough to wide open for our purposes.

Ok, so I like to buy stuff over the internet. Far too many people with no clue like to post FS ads clearly shot at F2.8. This was shot at F1.2, so my sale is better than yours.

You're selling a Leica 75F1.4, you can clearly afford a tripod and F11...

I like how this has a very very "toy car" look, but without the obvious banding of the instacrap joke.

Ooh, its also a BMW 2002.

Another one taken with the Ricoh GRD-4. I think its pretty sexy.

Ari,

Thanks for posting these for me. The Noct-Nikkor was in very capable hands as shown by your skills shown above.

Cal

Old 12-26-2012   #385
agoglanian
Roaming.

Do you guys find that you prefer the HP finder? I'm actually plenty happy with the regular finder, but I've been curious if the HP would feel any better. I do like the .8x magnification of mine though.

Analog - Digital

.Blog. // .Website.

Old 12-26-2012   #386
Tejasican

I use the HP with a DK-17M. Looses little on the eye-point and gets 90% magnification and 100% coverage. The numbers up top are not as easy to see but as I have been shooting manual with other cameras I don't need to look at those as often as I once did.

Old 12-26-2012   #387
menos

aahh - what a coincidence! thanks for posting this!

I was just about to ask, if the DK-17M fits the F3 viewfinder as well, as I had this idea just in my head, to try it out, once the new light seals arrive from Jon Goodman!

I am really looking forward to shoot some rolls again with the F3 + 58/1.2, as my recent trial with that lens on a digital body wasn't exactly satisfying.

Old 12-27-2012   #388
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by agphotography View Post
Do you guys find that you prefer the HP finder? I'm actually plenty happy with the regular finder, but I've been curious if the HP would feel any better. I do like the .8x magnification of mine though.
I really loved the non HP F3 that I had. The extra magnification comes in handy and the VF'er is a bit more contrasty than a HP finder. In particular the Non HP finder works great with wides where the focus gets vague, where it can really make a difference.

Cal

Old 12-27-2012   #389
jwicaksana
Jakarta, Indonesia

Hmm..interesting discussion about HP vs normal finder. I myself find the HP finder very good looking, always remind me of Darth Vader! I only wear thin glasses and perhaps I could benefit from the bigger magnification of the normal finder.
Speaking of F3P, beautiful one you got there, Cal!
One week ago, I was buying a camera for a 'client', and I spotted a crinkle finished F3. I was drawn to it, naturally trying to look casual and uninterested, but sadly it's not for sale. It's an F3 alright. And what an F3 it is!

Old 12-27-2012   #390
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by menos View Post
aahh - what a coincidence! thanks for posting this!

I was just about to ask, if the DK-17M fits the F3 viewfinder as well, as I had this idea just in my head, to try it out, once the new light seals arrive from Jon Goodman!

I am really looking forward to shoot some rolls again with the F3 + 58/1.2, as my recent trial with that lens on a digital body wasn't exactly satisfying.
Dirk,

In doing the light seals on a Nikon: I found that with a dental pick I could release the two side springs that hold down the mirror to facilitate cleaning out the old foam seals; also I used 200 Proof Isopropyl Alcohol to remove the old foam seals.

Cal

Old 12-27-2012   #391
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwicaksana View Post
Speaking of F3P, beautiful one you got there, Cal!
Thanks. This camera has become part of me and has mojo.

Cal

Old 12-27-2012   #392
thejameskendall

the F3HP is the best SLR for glasses wearers, certainly from Nikon. the FE2 is wonderful but you just can't see the whole frame. i found the F3 a little heavy but apart from that a wonderful camera. it gathers dust now i have an M6, which i find easier to focus.

Old 12-27-2012   #393
thejameskendall

Quote:
Originally Posted by agphotography View Post
essential if you wear glasses, otherwise go for the standard one, which is lighter/smaller.

Old 12-27-2012   #394
johannielscom
985 & 532/16

Coincidence? Don't think so.

I bumped into a well-used and brassed F3 with brassed DE-2 tonight for EUR 60.00.

And am planning to use my 1.4/58mm Nikkor-S on it, with the 2.5/105mm Nikkor-P version-1.

After completing all that, I bumped into this thread, that I have never seen before in the 5 years that I'm around here...

Old 12-27-2012   #395
menos

Hey Cal, great tip on the mirror!
I am eager, to fix this F3 now ;-)

@Johan - that's a nice deal!

Old 01-18-2013   #396
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

What happened to the supply of Nikon F3's at KEH?

Literally only one for sale. Was shopping around for a F3 non-HP, bought one from Adorama that was clean but I jammed the shutter and had to return it. At B&H my friends say they they are sell lots of them.

Tried to secure a DE-2 VF'er (non HP) for that extra magnification, but only saw rather beat up versions. I'm finding slim pickings.

Cal

Old 01-23-2013   #397
Dez
Bodger Extraordinaire

The F3 is a beautifully integrated camera, but one ridiculous little thing tends to spoil it for me: it's the little red button that illuminates the aperture in dark situations. This is a good idea, but the implementation is cheesy. In F3's I have examined, it often doesn't work at all, and if I take the front of the prism apart to clean the contacts I find I end up with a dim and flickery glow that sort of does the job.

I realize this is a very small nit to pick, but there it is- a badly-executed feature. For me, the best never Nikon would have to be the fabulous F2AS. But then again, if you want auto exposure..............

Cheers,
Dez

Old 01-24-2013   #398
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dez View Post
The F3 is a beautifully integrated camera, but one ridiculous little thing tends to spoil it for me: it's the little red button that illuminates the aperture in dark situations. This is a good idea, but the implementation is cheesy. In F3's I have examined, it often doesn't work at all, and if I take the front of the prism apart to clean the contacts I find I end up with a dim and flickery glow that sort of does the job.

I realize this is a very small nit to pick, but there it is- a badly-executed feature. For me, the best never Nikon would have to be the fabulous F2AS. But then again, if you want auto exposure..............

Cheers,
Dez
Dez,

I have to agree with you here, but I modded my F3P to overcome this limitation. Basically I made a shim from a matchbook cover that permanently engages the little red switch. The result is that whenever the metering is engaged the light illuminates the LCD's. I find that this is even beneficial during the day, and originally I performed this mod for using my Noct-Nikkor at night.

The only downside is battery drain if you use your F3 without a MD-4 motordrive. It seems that the battery drain without the motor drive is rather severe, but withe the huge supply of power from a MD-4 it's a moot point.

I posted the mod in the sticky in the "Repairs" section of the forum. It's a pretty simple mod that can be undone, but there is real danger of loosing tiny screws.

I use to have a few F2AS's. I loved them, but for me now the F3P is the bomb.

Cal

Old 02-04-2013   #399
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Twin View Post
An F3P followed me home the other day, I couldn't help it and so far I love it! It has serial number P9002805 which makes it a very close relation to yours Cal.

Nikon F3p by Flat Twin, on Flickr

I used to use an F3HP 15 years ago and really liked it. Using this one after Leicas for the past 12 years feels like I've never been away. Nikon U.K. are supplying a new standard back and pressure plate for use without the MD4 and also a couple of spare rubber weather seals for the unique shutter release of the F3P.

Currently half way through a roll of HP5 @320!

Regards,

Simon
Simon,

My F3P has become part of me. Your example is mucho clean. Congrates.

Cal

Old 02-07-2013   #400
akitadog

I have my F3HP. Using it with Zeiss ZF lenses. Excellent camera. I originally bought an F3 when they first came out. Long time ago now. Then I bought an HP finder and used that camera for many years. I sold it to upgrade to medium format. but 2 years ago I bought a mint F3HP with AIS 50mm f1.4 lens. Sent it to Nikon to replace the foam seals and do a CLA. Now it is almost perfect again. Really missed having the F3HP around. Now with the Zeiss lenses it is really fun to use.

Regards,

Akitadog