Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Bigger than 35 RF's > 120 RF's

120 RF's 120 / 220 format rangefinders including Fuji, Koni-Omega, Mamiya Press, Linhof 6x7/6x9 cameras, Mamiya 6/7 among others, but excluding the 120 folders and the Voigtlander 667 cameras that have their own forums.

Weird Super Ikonta B
Old 07-26-2005   #1
the lobster
getting broke

Weird Super Ikonta B

So I acquired a Zeiss Super Ikonta B. The embossed leather on the back correctly states that it is model 532/16, which takes 6x6 pictures.

However, on the inside (of the same door that is correctly embossed) it is stamped (in the metal, not a sticker of anything):

Zeiss Ikon film
B2 6x9
2 1/4 x 3 1/4 in.

I guess I don't really have a question except- Weird, huh?

Old 07-26-2005   #2
jan normandale
Film is the other way

Hi Lobster

I have the same camera a Zeiss Super Ikonta B - 532/16 and like yours my door has the 6x9 – 2 ¼ x 3 ¼ on the inside of the door. My hunch is that it is a back for a Zeiss Ikonta 6x9 camera and when needed could be interchangeable for the 6x6 format Ikonta.

Jan

it's all about light

Old 07-26-2005   #3
wlewisiii
StayAtHome Dad & Photog

No, I believe it's simply an advertizement for the Zeiss brand of film - the B2 and 6x9 simply being marketing names for thier 120 roll film. The backs would not be interchangable since the B camera is shorter in the long direction than the C camera.

William

Playing and learning daily with: 4x5 Crown Graphic, Leica IIIf w/ 50/2 Summitar, Nikon F2 Photomic w/ 50/1.4 & Olympus E-PL1.

"Some people are 'the glass is half full' types. Some people are 'the glass is half empty' types. I'm a 'the glass is full of radioactive waste and I just drank half of it' type. And I'm still thirsty." -- Bill Mattocks

Old 07-26-2005   #4
jan normandale
Film is the other way

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlewisiii
No, I believe it's simply an advertizement for the Zeiss brand of film - the B2 and 6x9 simply being marketing names for thier 120 roll film. The backs would not be interchangable since the B camera is shorter in the long direction than the C camera.

William
I like your thinking better than mine!

Jan

it's all about light

Old 07-26-2005   #5
wlewisiii
StayAtHome Dad & Photog

A bit of googling turns up the info that B2 was Agfa's designation for 120 rollfilm and PB20 for 620 film. I wouldn't be surprised if ZI didn't have at least some Agfa film branded for them.

William

Playing and learning daily with: 4x5 Crown Graphic, Leica IIIf w/ 50/2 Summitar, Nikon F2 Photomic w/ 50/1.4 & Olympus E-PL1.

"Some people are 'the glass is half full' types. Some people are 'the glass is half empty' types. I'm a 'the glass is full of radioactive waste and I just drank half of it' type. And I'm still thirsty." -- Bill Mattocks

Old 07-27-2005   #6
titrisol
Bottom Feeder

mmmm /16 is not 6x45?
Sorry Paul Simon

My gallery

Old 07-27-2005   #7
Mike Kovacs
Contax Connaisseur

Back in those days, 6x6 was a new format, mostly as a result of the Rolleiflex TLR. Before that, it was just assumed that 120 film was 6x9 format.