Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Non Rangefinder Cameras > SLRs - the unRF

SLRs - the unRF For those of you who must talk about SLRs, if only to confirm they are not RF.

Old 06-06-2010   #51
hendriphile

Let the incentive continue! Used the 200mm f/4, braced but no tripod. Using 400 speed film allowed a short exposure. Big print looks awesome...(a jetliner in the center with some detail)

Old 06-07-2010   #52
gian

I love mine too... and the 105/f2.4 has a beautiful bokeh and 3D effect...

I just do not use it enough!!

Old 06-07-2010   #53
charjohncarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gian View Post
I just do not use it enough!!
I have to agree, I wonder why the 105mm has this 3D look. This isn't mine but it also has that look (Tommy Oshima):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tommyoshima/2114323047

Old 06-08-2010   #54
Paddy C
Unused film collector

Damn you...Damn you all!!!

I had serious gas for this rig earlier in the spring. This thread did it:

Just bought a 67 with metered prism on eBay.

Now for some lenses. Oh and I guess I've gotta sell some stuff!

Old 06-08-2010   #55
charjohncarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy C View Post

I had serious gas for this rig earlier in the spring. This thread did it:

Just bought a 67 with metered prism on eBay.

Now for some lenses. Oh and I guess I've gotta sell some stuff!
Be sure to look at the 'new' F4 55mm. Mine is really something

Old 06-08-2010   #56
Paddy C
Unused film collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by charjohncarter View Post
Be sure to look at the 'new' F4 55mm. Mine is really something
My list (which I put together in the spring...GAS is hilarious really) is:

165/2.8

105/2.4

55/4 or

45/4

I have a project in mind (actually two) for this camera. I think the 55/4 will be just right for a lot of the work with the 105 for some of it. The 165 is for portraits which I would really like to work on a bit.

There's also the 200/4 which is cheap as chips, but I don't know that I'll need a third lens.

Old 06-08-2010   #57
charjohncarter

I think the 165 has a built in leaf shutter so it can be used with flash at any speed. The 1/30 max shutter speed is a drawback for the Pentax 67. I have the 105 and the 55 and am happy. I'm not sure I'll get any more lenses. The 165 with leaf shutter is tempting though. I also have waist finder which is wonderful. You can probably find one cheap. It is very easy to use for indoor work with low light and portraits. Good luck.

Old 06-08-2010   #58
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Gian definitely hasn't helped the cause here ... if I get a Pentax 67 I'll definitely want the 105mm f2.4 after seeing those!

The 67ii seems like quite a modern camera compared to the earlier versions and I do have a prefence for in camera metering ... when I have a meter with me I never seem to quite know what to do with it when I'm not actually using it.

Obviously a bit of a price premium for the later camera though!

flickr ... currently all images from the DP2M, DP3M and SD1M

Old 06-08-2010   #59
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Come to think of it I'm amazed that 'venchka' (Wayne) hasn't made an apperance in this thread ... he's a big fan of the Pentax 67 from memory.

Hope he's OK ... haven't seen a post from him for a while!

flickr ... currently all images from the DP2M, DP3M and SD1M

Old 06-08-2010   #60
Wayno

Quote:
Originally Posted by gian View Post
Nice shots. I suppose that's a pretty fast lens for that focal length/format & obviously gives very narrow DOF.

Old 06-08-2010   #61
Doug

There are two 165mm lenses, an f/4 with leaf shutter, and an f/2.8 without. Earlier on, there was a leaf shutter 90mm f/2.8, as well as the no-shutter 90/2.8 as well.

A clue to earlier lenses is the Takumar name, which was given up sometime before the camera name change from Pentax 6x7 to Pentax 67. After Takumar, the lenses were called SMC Pentax 6x7. Newer lenses bear the Pentax-67 name.

Some lenses had optical differences between versions. The earliest 55mm was an f/3.5 Takumar with a very large front element, IIRC it used 100mm filters. The big Pentax 55mm lenses got a reputation for fine performance. About 1979 a new f/4 "Pentax 6x7" 55mm was introduced that used 77mm filters... much different in appearance and optics. The third and last version was "Pentax 67" 55mm f/4 which looked very similar to the previous model, but went from 9 elements in 8 groups to 8 elements in 7 groups. These are all excellent lenses, but it's useful to be aware of the different versions.

The 200mm f/4 also changed quite a bit... The S-M-C Takumar 6X7 200mm f/4 of 1971 is the same optically as the original Super Takumar 6X7 200mm f/4 of 1969 with 4 element design. Was redesigned in 1986 for lighter weight, a 5th element, closer focus, f/32, and filter size 77mm instead of 67mm... now "SMC Pentax 67".

There were also three different 75mm lenses... a regular 75mm f/4.5, and a larger manual-diaphragm Shift 75/4.5. Then one of the last lenses added to the 67 system (2001) was a smaller lighter Aspheric 75mm f/2.8 SMC Pentax 67 AL.

There are a couple of macro lenses to be aware of... First the original 135mm f/4.0 SMC Macro-Takumar 6x7 that had changes in the name and minor cosmetic changes over the years, easy to find on the market. With 5/3 construction it could well be a Heliar formula, like the small-format Pentax f/4 100mm macro. A bit confusingly, there's a later (March 1998) 100mm f/4.0 SMCP-67 Macro to replace the 135mm. This one has a front-screw-in "Life Size Adapter" allowing 1:1 magnification. It is a 6 element 4 group lens (obviously not a Heliar), and the Adapter is 3 elements.

There have been a lot of interesting lenses in the 6x7/67 lineup, as it's quite a rich system starting from 1969 but I think most didn't have optical changes (other than coating changes) across the various name and cosmetic changes.

Last edited by Doug : 06-08-2010 at 17:04.

Old 06-08-2010   #62
BillBingham2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy C View Post
I was thinking the same thing. Perhaps not Hell, but Purgatory yall do not deserve to suffer for ever.

That 105 quite frankly seems to paint light that jumps off the page (read screen).

Any posts from the 45 and/or 55?

I mean after all, I might as well explode!

B2 (;->

Old 06-08-2010   #63
charjohncarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBingham2 View Post
I was thinking the same thing. Perhaps not Hell, but Purgatory yall do not deserve to suffer for ever.

That 105 quite frankly seems to paint light that jumps off the page (read screen).

Any posts from the 45 and/or 55?

B2 (;->
I'm not sure what posts from the 45 and/or 55 means. As I've said I very much like my 55 F4:

Old 06-08-2010   #64
Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBingham2 View Post
...Any posts from the 45 and/or 55?
B2 (;->
Here are a couple with the 45mm at the Ballard Locks, Seattle, very shortly after I picked up this eBay purchase from the seller. Couldn't wait to try it out...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 030715-A13big.jpg (71.4 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg 030715-B07big.jpg (152.3 KB, 152 views)

Old 06-09-2010   #65
charjohncarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Here are a couple with the 45mm at the Ballard Locks, Seattle, very shortly after I picked up this eBay purchase from the seller. Couldn't wait to try it out...

I used to live close to those locks (Crightendon Locks??). When I went across the walk way that you show there was only one railing. You really held on to that one railing when you were 7. Nice shots.

Old 06-09-2010   #66
Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by charjohncarter View Post
I used to live close to those locks (Crightendon Locks??). When I went across the walk way that you show there was only one railing. You really held on to that one railing when you were 7. Nice shots.
Thanks! The locks on the Lake Union Ship Canal were named for Hiram Chittenden of the US Army Corps of Engineers. A cousin lives in Ballard, but my closest residence was in Northgate.

Old 06-16-2010   #67
Sikario

Light, portable and quiet... are three words that have nothing to do with this camera, but I love my 6x7.

Old 06-16-2010   #68
charjohncarter

Sikario, 3D, 3D, 3D! Very nice.

Old 06-17-2010   #69
Benjamin Marks

You'll have to forgive the hyperbole to follow, but it is impossible to overstate the difference between what you see on screen with the (admittedly excellent) photos in this thread and the detail and richness of the negatives and prints possible with this camera. The internet is the great leveler in this respect, as there is little perceivable difference between the output of a 5mp digicam with a sensor the size of a lentil and the output of a Pentax 67, when presented here. A 6x7 cm B&W negative can capture a mind-boggling amount of detail over a tonal range that will leave gob-smacked HDR practitioners witless and crying for their mommas. Also, the shutter has a satisfying thunk. Consider a tripod for exposures lower than 1/60 with this bad boy and savor each exposure like an oenophile swilling the last drop of a vanishing, great vintage. My own lenses: 55/3.5, 90/2.8, 105/2.5 and 165/2.8. Personally, I hand meter. For macros=extension tubes.

Old 06-17-2010   #70
CK Dexter Haven

@Sikario:
Which lens(es) and film(s), please?

Actually, i probably shouldn't ask. I've owned Pentax 67IIs twice before, and am looking for any excuse to acquire another.... I prolly should try the Mamiya 7, though....

Old 06-17-2010   #71
Sikario

All were taken with the 105mm f/2.4, it's the only lens I own for the 6x7.

From top to bottom the films used were Kodak E100GP, Kodak Ektar and Fuji Velvia 50.

Old 06-18-2010   #72
Benjamin Marks

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK Dexter Haven View Post
@Sikario:
Which lens(es) and film(s), please?

Actually, i probably shouldn't ask. I've owned Pentax 67IIs twice before, and am looking for any excuse to acquire another.... I prolly should try the Mamiya 7, though....
I went through this arc. The Mamiya is a fine camera, but the lenses don't focus close enough for the kind of images I like. It is the antithesis of the P67, quiet where the Pentax is loud, hand-holdable where the P67 really wants a tripod. But I just kept wishing I could take a half-step forward all of the time. In the end, of all the cameras I have sold, I missed it the least.

Ben

Old 06-18-2010   #73
filmfan

gian: tremendoes black and white portraits! I have been eyeing this for camera for a while, but can't justify it as I already have a 6x6...

Quote:
Wow, what a nice room
you have "interesting" taste...

Old 06-19-2010   #74
david.elliott

Quote:
Wow, what a nice room, and big. Nice shot, well lit with natural (?) light...

Here's an old one using my non-MLU 6x7 and early 55mm f/4 with Ektachrome 200
Black Rock at Kaanapali, Maui, November 1981.

Awesome! Must have been one heck of a fun trip.

Old 06-19-2010   #75
emraphoto

the pentax 6x7 was a great machine. the one thing that i didn't jive with is that most of the time you have to hold the base of the lens with one hand (if shooting handheld) and all the lenses i tried had sloppy aperture rings. i am sure age had something to do with it and perhaps folks can offer up their experiences with it. maybe having the lenses cla'd or having a repair shop work some magic and sort that out.

the 105 was something to behold really. a lovely, lovely lens.

Last edited by emraphoto : 06-19-2010 at 13:55.