Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > SLRs - the unRF

SLRs - the unRF For those of you who must talk about SLRs, if only to confirm they are not RF.

Old 08-18-2010   #81
Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by le vrai rdu View Post
I should get a 6x7 pretty soon
I sense some excited anticipation! I hope you like it when it comes.

Old 08-18-2010   #82
le vrai rdu

I tried the 67 ii wich I liked, but it wasn't mine so I couldn't enjoy it really (I always fear to break a stuff I can't afford) and, as I prefer more classical cameras, the 6x7 will be the perfect pentax MF

Old 08-18-2010   #83
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
I tried the 67 ii wich I liked, but it wasn't mine so I couldn't enjoy it really (I always fear to break a stuff I can't afford) and, as I prefer more classical cameras, the 6x7 will be the perfect pentax MF

I'd be interested to try the earlier camera but think I made the correct choice for me with the 67ii.

I don't like carrying round a meter for some reason and find in camera metering with the option of AE much more agreeable ... consequently my OM-2 gets preference over my OM-1, my Ikon over my M2 and so on!

And I like the built in grip of the ii ... it handles a lot like my D700 ... discounting the weight!

Old 08-18-2010   #84
ruby.monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
I'd be interested to try the earlier camera but think I made the correct choice for me with the 67ii.

I don't like carrying round a meter for some reason and find in camera metering with the option of AE much more agreeable ... consequently my OM-2 gets preference over my OM-1, my Ikon over my M2 and so on!

And I like the built in grip of the ii ... it handles a lot like my D700 ... discounting the weight!
I bought a cheap 6x7 body to try out. It's good, but you wouldn't necessarily want to hold it one-handed - there's precious little to hang on to other than a strap lug. It's a 9-shooter thanks to a worn frame-counting mechanism but a fine camera other than that, and will certainly keep me happy until I can spare the shekels for a 67ii.

Still feels like a girlie-man's camera compared to my RZ.

Old 08-18-2010   #85
Doug

Quote:
...Sometimes when you get gas for a particular camera and start a thread as I did here and go through the motions of discussing it to death and absorbing all the opinions and adulation within the thread ... you get over it and move on ... the gas seems to disipate naturally and you suddenly realise that the last thing you really need is another camera for the collection that already contains cameras that don't get enough use! Well it never happened with the big Pentax ... the more I thought about it the more I wanted one.

The 67ii that I subsequently bought from 'barnwulf' is not a camera you use without having a plan in mind ... you don't casually pick up a 5lb (with lens) medium format SLR and wander off to take some pics ... it's not that sort of camera. Often though I will take it out of the cupboard and sit it on the desk in the evening and just stare in awe at it ... that part will never change!

I intend spending the day with it next week in the dry valley behind Brisbane where the old abandoned farms and bleached winter grasses are just begging to be photographed.
Keith, I hear you and empathize... There’s just something about the P67 that has engendered fondness for it. I’ve had my first one for a long time, and it took forum-generated GAS to get me to buy into the system more and more! I like the P67II best for the improved ergonomics, better damped mirror, and AE.

By contrast I’ve never warmed to the Fuji GW670III, and while the Pentax 645NII is fine, there’s just not the fondness I’ve developed for the P6x7/67II

Expect you will get some interesting shots in that dry farm valley...

@le vrai rdu, be careful your right forefinger does not accidentally press the right-side prism release button on the 6x7 when you operate the shutter release lock! I think your lens plan sounds good. The 55 is excellent, the 90 is smaller than the 105 and focuses closer (0.65m vs. 1.0m), and the 135 won’t need a lens hood as the front element is well recessed behind the filter ring. It focuses to 0.75m, which I think gets you about half life-size. You’ll need extension rings to get closer.

Old 08-18-2010   #86
le vrai rdu

Quote:

I thing I will make a right hand grip (my father as a wood workshop :d) and the 6x7 will come with a metered prism but I have to admit AE can be very useful

Old 08-18-2010   #87
le vrai rdu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Keith, I hear you and empathize... There’s just something about the P67 that has engendered fondness for it. I’ve had my first one for a long time, and it took forum-generated GAS to get me to buy into the system more and more! I like the P67II best for the improved ergonomics, better damped mirror, and AE.

By contrast I’ve never warmed to the Fuji GW670III, and while the Pentax 645NII is fine, there’s just not the fondness I’ve developed for the P6x7/67II

Expect you will get some interesting shots in that dry farm valley...

@le vrai rdu, be careful your right forefinger does not accidentally press the right-side prism release button on the 6x7 when you operate the shutter release lock! I think your lens plan sounds good. The 55 is excellent, the 90 is smaller than the 105 and focuses closer (0.65m vs. 1.0m), and the 135 won’t need a lens hood as the front element is well recessed behind the filter ring. It focuses to 0.75m, which I think gets you about half life-size. You’ll need extension rings to get closer.
a friend had some extension rings, it was crazy the size of those
I wonder if bellows wouldn't be more interesting but time will tell me if I need such accesories

Last edited by le vrai rdu : 08-18-2010 at 17:57.

The bronica RF645 should more than fund a P67 system
Old 08-18-2010   #88
kuzano

The bronica RF645 should more than fund a P67 system

Quote:
What did the Pentax setup cost you incidentally? ... I would hope that my RF645 with 65mm and 100mm lenses would cover the cost or a possible trade for someone who wants to venture into RF land with MF and a lighter camera than the 6x7 SLR.
Although there are various models of the Pentax, they made and sold a ton of them. Not so with the Bronica RF645.... very few in the market, and lots of demand for those available.

You should easily be able to raise the money for the Pentax67, metered prism and a couple of lenses. Good luck.

Now I say this with the full knowledge that my own personal interest is in function, while some people want function with pristine cosmetics. For most Pentax 67's the camera's were working tools and will have signs of use. It would be hard for me to think that robust usage would damage the function of that camera.

However, for pristine cosmetics, expect to pay more...

You knew that... right?

Old 08-18-2010   #89
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuzano View Post
Although there are various models of the Pentax, they made and sold a ton of them. Not so with the Bronica RF645.... very few in the market, and lots of demand for those available.

You should easily be able to raise the money for the Pentax67, metered prism and a couple of lenses. Good luck.

Now I say this with the full knowledge that my own personal interest is in function, while some people want function with pristine cosmetics. For most Pentax 67's the camera's were working tools and will have signs of use. It would be hard for me to think that robust usage would damage the function of that camera.

However, for pristine cosmetics, expect to pay more...

You knew that... right?

Well history reads that I bought a Pentax 67ii with a couple of lenses and kept the Bronica so it's all good as they say!

I agree with you that the Bronica is worth more than the 67 generally but the 67ii is a slightly different kettle of fish. I saw one with a few lenses go for over a grand and a half on Oz eBay not long before Barnwulf offered me his.

As an exercise I priced up what I subsequently bought at it's original value when new in Oz dollars back in early 2000 ... it came to over seven grand!

MF has never been so cheap and the quality of what you can get for peanuts is next to nothing!

Last edited by Keith : 08-18-2010 at 21:17.

Old 08-19-2010   #90
Doug

True, the P6x7 was introduced in 1969, slowly evolved into the P67 twenty years later, and the P67II came out in 1998. Not so many 67II as the common prior models, still probably more of them than 645RF. I think the Bronica came along about year 2000, as I bought mine new in 2003 and they were already into rebates to sell remaining stock after a short production span. The longer lenses are particularly scarce. Some later P67 series lenses had only brief production too I believe.

Old 08-19-2010   #91
retro
-

I have a P67 with 55,75,90 & 105 lenses plus metered finder.
I love it. The 90 is especially good for hand-holding as it is
relatively small and lightweight but the others can be hand-held
too. I don't find the wooden grip to be of any help in hand
holding but it makes a nice handle for carrying. I would like to
upgrade to a P67II body for the interchangeable screens as
the regular P67 screen has no split-image RF which I would
prefer.

Old 08-19-2010   #92
Doug

Bob, you might find a replacement split-image screen for your P67... try Pentax's repair service, KEH, and B&H (for instance, for a Beattie Intenscreen). Pentax has offered four screens (in addition to the stock screen) for the 6x7, shown in the manual p.36: Split Image, Matte with Central Spot, Grid with Microprism, and Grid with Matte Spot. I had that last mentioned one installed in my older 6x7 by Pentax in Colorado. And put a Beattie with grid and horiz. split image in the other one later by a tech in Seattle. But, while interchangeable, this does take a technician's tools and abilities.

Note that the P67II screens will not fit the 6x7 or 67, and vice-versa!

Last edited by Doug : 08-19-2010 at 15:02.

Old 08-19-2010   #93
retro
-

Quote:
Bob, you might find a replacement split-image screen for your P67... try Pentax's repair service, KEH, and B&H (for instance, for a Beattie Intenscreen). Pentax has offered four screens (in addition to the stock screen) for the 6x7, shown in the manual p.36: Split Image, Matte with Central Spot, Grid with Microprism, and Grid with Matte Spot. I had that last mentioned one installed in my older 6x7 by Pentax in Colorado. And put a Beattie with grid and horiz. split image in the other one later by a tech in Seattle. But, while interchangeable, this does take a technician's tools and abilities.

Note that the P67II screens will not fit the 6x7 or 67, and vice-versa!
Thanks for the info. How much did these screens cost you
including installation?

Old 08-19-2010   #94
Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro View Post
Thanks for the info. How much did these screens cost you including installation?
The Pentax grid screen w/matte center was $19, but the labor for that is not known as the Pentax shops repaired the film transport at the same time (early non-MLU 6x7). But this was April 1983...

For the late-model 6x7, the Beattie Intenscreen was $124 from B&H Photo, and installation labor at CameraTechs in Seattle was $79, since part of this was making sure focus was still correct and that the TTL meter still read correctly (it did). That was in 2003.

For the P67II, in Dec 2006 I happened to catch the rare Pentax BJ-61 grid-with-center-split-image at KEH for $59. Looks similar to the Beattie, and this item is user installed.

For the other P67II, in Sept 2007 I found a Pentax BG-60 grid screen (w/matte center) on eBay for $41.20 shipped, and again is user-installable.

If you haven't noticed, I like grid screens.

Old 08-19-2010   #95
Doug

I just thought to check KEH for Pentax screens, ya never know... And as a prism accessory I see they offer a TTL prism ring for $133!!! Wow.

So another note: If you have the TTL prism for 6x7 and 67 (won't fit a 67II), it should come with a black plastic ring that fits over the body shutter speed dial and eases changing shutter speeds with the prism in place. This thing is easily lost, and I'll guess they have become hard to find... $133 is a lot to pay for a possibly $1 part!

Be careful not to lose that shutter dial ring!

Old 08-20-2010   #96
le vrai rdu

better to know somebody with a metal lathe

Old 08-20-2010   #97
venchka

A friend in Texas just bought a non-MLU (don't get one) body for $100. I found a 55mm lens (last version-Like New) for him at KEH for $300. I am soooooooooo envious of that lens. I have the 45mm lens-STUNNING!-and would like to get a 55mm if I can find another like the one Bryan got. Maybe I can sell one of my 90mm Leitz lenses.
I use the MLU hand held with the 45mm lens. It works fine. LOVE LOVE LOVE the 45mm lens.
"Leave me alone, I know what I'm doing" Kimi Raikkonen
My Gallery
My Blog-Reborn
FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Old 08-20-2010   #98
Doug

Sounds like you got a fine deal on that lens, Wayne. And I hope your friend gets fond of that old 6x7!

You use the MLU hand-held? I've never done that... must be tricky! In fact I had my non-MLU 6x7 for 27 years before getting the MLU version, so I was not accustomed to using that feature.

From introduction in 1969 through the "Pentax 67" name change in 1989 to the 1998 replacement by the P67II, there were continuous minor improvements in the design and manufacture - the 1976 MLU is just one obvious example - So the later a particular body was made, the more refined the construction. And there were options... My late 6x7 is one of the last to carry that designation, and it has an optional factory installed multiple-exposure switch.

Old 08-20-2010   #99
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Sounds like you got a fine deal on that lens, Wayne. And I hope your friend gets fond of that old 6x7!

You use the MLU hand-held? I've never done that... must be tricky! In fact I had my non-MLU 6x7 for 27 years before getting the MLU version, so I was not accustomed to using that feature.

From introduction in 1969 through the "Pentax 67" name change in 1989 to the 1998 replacement by the P67II, there were continuous minor improvements in the design and manufacture - the 1976 MLU is just one obvious example - So the later a particular body was made, the more refined the construction. And there were options... My late 6x7 is one of the last to carry that designation, and it has an optional factory installed multiple-exposure switch.

That multiple exposure function is a godsend and will get plenty of use with me!

Mirror lock up should be standard on all SLRs IMO ... It's quite simple on the 67ii to operate as it's very close to the shutter release. I find I can compose and focus then trigger the mirror lock up and retain a reasonably accurate memory of framing before I trigger the shutter. It's a lot to do but the sequence is not uncomfortable!

The Pentax feels like it really kicks in the hand but I noticed sitting the camera on a smooth slippery surface and triggering the shutter with the timer doesn't give a huge reaction ... the camera barely moves!

Old 08-20-2010   #100
Doug

About 5 years ago I saw a short video by William Robb, a photographer in Regina Sask. Canada, in which he placed a coin balanced on edge atop the focusing screen of a P67 mounted on sturdy tripod. Triggering the camera at the slower shutter speeds widely agreed to give the worst shake, the coin did not fall over. The URL to the video is no longer valid, unfortunately. But it seems the amount of vibration is largely exaggerated.

In a follow-up on his review of the (at the time) new Pentax 645NII, Luminous Landscape's Michael Reichmann tested its new MLU feature by shooting his usual long-range city buildings with and without the mirror locked up... on tripod, to assess the advantage provided by MLU... Result: No advantage at all!

Of course the P67 is a different animal, with a much larger mirror and shutter, and both contribute to the shake. But the literature claims the 67II has improved mirror damping, so there may be minimal benefit to using the MLU feature. That could be an interesting test...

Old 08-20-2010   #101
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

The mirror lockup function on my D700 is really clever IMO ... when the camera is set in MLU mode with the dial on the left of the camera, the first press of the button flips the mirror up and the second press fires the shutter and drops the mirror back down.

Old 08-23-2010   #102
le vrai rdu

still 1 week to wait

Old 08-23-2010   #103
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
still 1 week to wait

Stay calm and keep lifting those weights!

Spent the day out with mine yesterday but only managed one roll of film ... the weather was attrocious. I was expecting to shoot at least five rolls!

Old 08-23-2010   #104
barnwulf

I had Pentax 67 and 67II for quite awhile and the 55mm and the 75mm lenses were very very sharp lenses. I also had the 55-100mm zoom. I shot with those lenses almost all the time. The 55-100 set at anywhere between 55 to 65 was just as sharp as the 55mm prime lens. Excellent equipment. I always shot from a tripod though since the zoom lens itself weighed almost 3 lbs. - Jim

Old 08-23-2010   #105
barnwulf

I didn't mean to imply that the other lenses weren't excellent as well, they are. It's just that the 55 and 75 were amazing if you are looking for sharpness. - Jim

Old 08-23-2010   #106
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnwulf View Post
I didn't mean to imply that the other lenses weren't excellent as well, they are. It's just that the 55 and 75 were amazing if you are looking for sharpness. - Jim

I have yet to use the 75mm Jim ... I can't seem to get past the way the 105mm renders images!

Old 08-23-2010   #107
barnwulf

The 105 is very nice partly because it's faster than the others. It maybe a bit softer but I think that can be an advantage for some things. For what you are shooting it's probably the perfect lens for you. I am delighted that you are putting it to very good use. - Jim

Last edited by barnwulf : 08-23-2010 at 15:47.

Old 08-23-2010   #108
le vrai rdu

I and a friend get the 6x7 plus 55 plus 90 and he keeps the 67ii that come with
he managed to find a 75 f 2,8

Old 08-23-2010   #109
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnwulf View Post
The 105 is very nice partly because it's faster than the others. It maybe a bit softer but I think that can be an advantage for some things. For what you are shooting it's probably the perfect lens for you. I am delighted that you are putting it to very good use. - Jim

I love this camera!

I was using the spot metering yesterday to evaluate a scene with a lot of variation and really like that option.

As you say though ... the matrix metering is seldom wrong!

Old 08-23-2010   #110
gavinlg

Got a mint 55mm f4 the other day - haven't tried it yet but sure feels nice in the hand. Not as well built as my early 105mm takumar though!

Old 08-23-2010   #111
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

I like these revivalist threads!

Old 09-02-2010   #112
le vrai rdu

I got it

Quite brassed, need to be cleaned but it seems to work fine, I am souping the test rolls

Old 09-02-2010   #113
charjohncarter

Quote:
I got it

Quite brassed, need to be cleaned but it seems to work fine, I am souping the test rolls
Let see the roll, lvr, mine has a little brass showing too, but sure doesn't change the final product. I just got a not excellent condition but pretty close 200mm for $106 + shipping on Ebay. I'm waiting for the chromes to come back. Maybe I'll post one.

Old 09-02-2010   #114
Paddy C
Unused film collector

I'm picking up my test roll of Fuji 400H tomorrow. Shot with the 67 and 105 2.4 I bought mid summer.

I've been so busy I haven't had time to use it prior to last weekend. Really love it though.

Old 09-02-2010   #115
venchka

This week I have been preparing for a week in the mountains of North Carolina.
Monday & Tuesday were film holder and Grafmatic loading nights.
Last night was medium format night. I dug out every roll of 120 E-6 film I could find. Ektachrome & Velvia in various flavors. I loaded the medium format bag with the P-6x7, 3 lenses and the Hassy. Poor Hassy. Only one back and one lens. A 2 1/4 sq. SLR P&S.
I am really looking forward to returning to the mountains with the Pentax. I took my first P-6x7 & 105mm lens on a multi-day backpacking trip in Colorado eons ago. I still cherish those negatives.

I threw in some 120 Tmax 100 & Tri-X 400 for good measure. One can't live with color alone.
"Leave me alone, I know what I'm doing" Kimi Raikkonen
My Gallery
My Blog-Reborn
FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Old 09-02-2010   #116
le vrai rdu

Quote:
Originally Posted by charjohncarter View Post
Let see the roll, lvr, mine has a little brass showing too, but sure doesn't change the final product. I just got a not excellent condition but pretty close 200mm for $106 + shipping on Ebay. I'm waiting for the chromes to come back. Maybe I'll post one.
just some stupid shot of paris roofs you know, nothing interesting in fact

there is a protest on saturday, I will go there BTW

Old 09-02-2010   #117
le vrai rdu

anyway, a gear picture

135 macro f4 closest focus or not so far

Old 09-02-2010   #118
micromoogman

I have a nice 67 with meter prism, grip, 105 SMC + hood. I have a 45mm wide too.
I used it for a street series about shoes, handheld, and it worked flawless even during the cold winter.

Last edited by Doug : 09-02-2010 at 10:53. Reason: ad

Old 09-02-2010   #119
Doug

I like that shot of the red shoes!

Old 09-02-2010   #120
Paddy C
Unused film collector

Love the shot of the red shoes.

(what film?)...because you know someone had to ask.