Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Non Rangefinder Cameras > SLRs - the unRF

SLRs - the unRF For those of you who must talk about SLRs, if only to confirm they are not RF.

Old 06-03-2010   #26
Neare

+1 in favor of the 67. It's an amazing camera and I love the 105mm (My Norita handles the same as the 67, but the lens flares like a ...).
I love big cameras, also out on the street, big rather than discrete can produce some interesting photo opportunities.

Old 06-03-2010   #27
le vrai rdu

I have to admit the GAS is here, not yet the money

a friend lend it to me for a few days, quite an impressive camera but very easy to use, just a bigger SLR than usual

I while developpe the uninteresting pictures I made with it (the last horse race I shot with the P67 II was completely boring )

Old 06-03-2010   #28
gavinlg

I hate to brag.... but what the hell I got my series 1 6x7 for $60aud and the 105 takumar for $40aud in a secondhand camera shop in tokyo. It works flawlessly and is in great condition.

It's probably the most pleasurable camera to use that I've owned so far and the one lens that I have - an early 105mm f2.5 takumar, is just gorgeous. The negatives are quite staggering in term of detail and the bokeh from the 105mm is so lovely. I shot a roll of neopan 400 in Tokyo, and at 1/60th shutter speed, shooting out of a hotel window, the details in my scan (scanned with a lowly epson v600) are pretty crazy. I might post it up in a sec...

Old 06-03-2010   #29
Matus

I feel like changing my Rolleiflex T (after 2 years and 100 rolls) for some MF with AE. Had briefly Pentax 645N with 45-85/4.5 at home (returned it because of some problems) and now have really hard time to decide which way to go - 645 or 6x7 (P67II) or "just" some RF (Mamiya 7 or RF645).

Anyhow - I do like the AE option so it seems that in the case of P67 I woudl have to get the "II" version. However these seem to be hard to find. I have seen a few with AE prism and 105mm lens for £1000 what seems a bit too steep to me.

So - what is actually a fair price for the P67II with the AE prism and 105mm lens today?
... per camera: Olympus XA , Jupiter J3 , Rolleiflex T, Mamiya 6, Ricoh GRDIII shots

Old 06-03-2010   #30
Krzys

Hey Keith I have had the exact same thoughts as you for a long time. There have been some really cheap P67 kits on APUG recently...$150ish for beat up bodies and lenses. A good way to test out the beast I'd say.

Old 06-03-2010   #31
BillBingham2

Irv L, a friend of mine had nothing but troubles with his early one. Put it in several times and it never stood up to light professional use. YMMV.

B2

Old 06-03-2010   #32
Nettar

I wonder whether the problems mentioned in connection with the big Pentax need to be put into perspective. Cameras today are significantly more reliable than before, owing partly to new materials as well as new technology. When I used Pentax 6x7s, in the 1970s, 80s and early 90s, they were about as reliable as any other reflex medium format camera at that time. I had three bodies in all, and no problems with any of them--in particular, no problems with the shutter, meter or wind-on mechanism. (I heard of potential difficulties with the latter, but never experienced them.) On the other hand, I had friends who had no end of bother with their Hasselblads--a much more complicated system in many ways, and simply more things to go wrong. Nettar

Last edited by Nettar : 06-03-2010 at 07:17. Reason: Spelling!

Old 06-03-2010   #33
ruby.monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
Street photography with a Linhof Tech 70 is quite fun, and it's a bigger '6x7' too (72mm long - I seem to recall that the Pentax is 68mm).

Cheers,

R.
Most of the 'street' photos I capture with mine seem to be of people tripping over themselves because they're too busy staring at the Linhof to look where they're going.

Londoners are a funny bunch.

Old 06-03-2010   #34
charjohncarter

I have many 6x6 cameras and for some reason my 6x7 is the 'one' I like the best. I do like square format but when you see that 6x7 negative or especially a transparency it is heaven. I handhold even though everyone thinks it can't be done, C-41, handheld:

Old 06-04-2010   #35
le vrai rdu

this 55 mm f4 isn't a crappy lens, it is full of details
The pentax 67 can be easily used as a street camera, too bad your subject get deaf once you made your picture

to bad I have to give back this lens to its owner but my bessa R system is kept as an hostage

Last edited by le vrai rdu : 06-04-2010 at 16:32.

Old 06-04-2010   #36
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by le vrai rdu View Post
this 55 mm f4 isn't a crappy lens, it is full of details
The pentax 67 can be easily used as a street camera, too bad your subject get deaf once you made your picture

too bad I have to give back this lens to its owner but my bessa R system is kept as an hostage

Great photo ... the 55mm looks quite wide in 6x7 format!

I have now joined the Pentax Forum and will hang around there a bit more often and study the MF threads.

I'm also watching that 67ii system on Oz ebay to see where it goes ... and my Bronica RF645 is looking nervous along with some other gear that doesn't see the daylight too often!

flickr

Old 06-04-2010   #37
le vrai rdu

it looks like a 28 mm on 24x36 but off course, you have more vertical space, the comparaison between these two format is therefore limited

I will try to pick up a pentax system as soon as I get some job (studies ends in a month or so )

Old 06-04-2010   #38
Pablito
coco frío

I agree the camera is easy to handle, all the controls are just where you want them and focusing and shooting is just like a 35mm slr. I bought the wood grip but returned it because it was more hindrance than help. Of course you can shoot it in the street. I got great results at 1/30th hand held with the 90mm lens. It's loud - so what. So is the street.

I don't use mine much any more because I much prefer the square format. And I'd sell it if it were worth real money but they go for so little now, I'd just assume hold on to it!

Old 06-04-2010   #39
CK Dexter Haven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettar View Post
I wonder whether the problems mentioned in connection with the big Pentax need to be put into perspective. Cameras today are significantly more reliable than before, owing partly to new materials as well as new technology. When I used Pentax 6x7s, in the 1970s, 80s and early 90s, they were about as reliable as any other reflex medium format camera at that time. I had three bodies in all, and no problems with any of them--in particular, no problems with the shutter, meter or wind-on mechanism. (I heard of potential difficulties with the latter, but never experienced them.) On the other hand, I had friends who had no end of bother with their Hasselblads--a much more complicated system in many ways, and simply more things to go wrong. Nettar
All of the issues i heard about with regard to P67 reliability were from fashion photographers who really abused the wind mechanism, trying to shoot rapidfire.

When i was trying to shoot fashion, i had a Pentax 67II and an older model. The older one was fitted with a dedicated Polaroid back. I never understood claims that the older body was as nice to use as the II. The II is very much more refined and comfortable to handle. The older body just feels primitive. But, even after the II was released, you'd still see superfamous fashion photogs using those older bodies, usually with that big wood grip - another item i just never understood....

Of course you can handhold the Pentax. In daylight, especially. The problem comes at a specific shutter speed range, when even on a tripod, the vibration is an issue. Above 1/60, i think you're okay, and faster is definitely better if you want critical sharpness.

Old 06-04-2010   #40
Doug

Its resemblance to a big 35mm SLR drew me to the 6x7 in the first place. The Pentax left-side wood handgrip doesn't match that style, and I never felt comfortable with it. Though with a focus-assist lever clamped to the lens, and a big flash unit in the grip's shoe, it might make for a useful working tool.

I found a guy on eBay selling his home-shop made right side wooden grips, that fit close to the body, for a feel similar to the 67II's built-in grip. I don't know how many he made, but I got two, and I don't see him around any more.

Old 06-04-2010   #41
Steve M.

This is the first time I've heard the Pentax described as small and light. I've never held one, but one day the local camera repair person went to the back of his shop (cave) and came back w/ one. My eyes bugged out. He tried to hand it to me but I wouldn't take it. It looked immense, and I am sure it is darned heavy, even when compared to your 'blad. The image quality is surely great, but a Hasselblad is about as big as I want to go for a walk around camera.

I second Krosya's idea of just putting a prism on your 'blad. I have one on mine, and while it adds a lot of bulk and weight to the camera the view through the thing is just incredible. But you've probably already thought of this, and nothing but the Pentax is going to do it for you. At the prices they're selling for, just buy one. If it turns out to be not your cup of tea, sell it and you should only take a small hit. Might even break even.

Old 06-04-2010   #42
Pablito
coco frío

It's not small or light, but it's quite manageable. I used to walk around all day with it. You might have trouble if you are what the old Charles Atlas ads in comic books used to call a "90 pound weakling." But as an overweight middle age guy with a bad back, I managed just fine.

Old 06-04-2010   #43
Doug

Agreed, Pablito! For not being small or light, it carries amazingly well over a shoulder, with a wide strap. I like "vertical" carry, using the two right-side strap lugs, and put it over the right shoulder. Then, reaching with the right hand gets a good grip right away as I bring the camera to eye level.

But, I like the accessory right-side wood grip (as shown above) even better, so instead the camera hangs from the left shoulder on the left side strap lugs and my first grip is with the left hand. This has been a good way to carry it.

Old 06-04-2010   #44
aizan

i'm sure it gets heavy if you hold it in your hands for half an hour, but it never came to that. i let it hang off my shoulder vertically with an upstrap. i used the new version of the 200/4, so that helped reduce weight further. that rig never strained my hands.

Old 06-04-2010   #45
Wayno

I've never seriously considered Pentax 67 and I don't know why as Takumar lenses are amongst the finest I've used - I've got several for my Spotmatic. Judging by the results I've seen the 67 lenses are of the same standard. Great shot above Cyrille! You'd better stop this talk Keith...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
I'm also watching that 67ii system on Oz ebay to see where it goes ... and my Bronica RF645 is looking nervous along with some other gear that doesn't see the daylight too often!
Speaking of cameras in dark places, don't forget that you've got three Rolleis sitting here in a filing cabinet drawer if you need to fund a new purchase!

Old 06-04-2010   #46
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayno View Post
I've never seriously considered Pentax 67 and I don't know why as Takumar lenses are amongst the finest I've used - I've got several for my Spotmatic. Judging by the results I've seen the 67 lenses are of the same standard. Great shot above Cyrille! You'd better stop this talk Keith...

Speaking of cameras in dark places, don't forget that you've got three Rolleis sitting here in a filing cabinet drawer if you need to fund a new purchase!

LOL ... I knew you'd mention those and what a good idea ... I know you're looking after them well Wayne!

I think I'm definitely a person who likes to have a camera at eye level ... I can't see myself ditching the Hassselblad but I'll definitely consider a prism finder because it's such a fine camera and I love that 80m Planar that's on it!

Meanwhile the 67ii on eBay torments me!

flickr

Old 06-04-2010   #47
ChrisN
Striving

Keith - if you'd like to try the Hassie prism finder I can lend you a PM viewfinder.

"The mission of photography is to explain man to man and each to himself. And that is the most complicated thing on earth."
Edward Steichen

RFF Gallery

Flickr

Last edited by ChrisN : 06-05-2010 at 03:50. Reason: Edit: PM not PM5.

Old 06-04-2010   #48
bobby_novatron
Photon Collector

I have a metered prism 6x7 with MLU ... wow, it's a brute of a camera. I find it heavy and not very ergonomic. But ... every time I develop my neg's I'm amazed at the picture quality. The 105mm F2.8 lens is an especially wonderful piece of glass. Excruciatingly sharp with wonderful, fluid bokeh.

The Mamiya7 is also a nice unit (never owned one) but it's probably considerably more expensive than a decent Pentax 6x7 + lens.

I've handled a Mamiya Super Press ... I'd dare say it's even bigger than a Pentax 6x7. It has the advantages of interchangeable film masks for 6x6 6x7 and 6x9 if I remember correctly. The lenses are supposed to be pretty good, but I've never heard anyone rave about them. These cameras are getting harder to find it seems, although they pop up on fleabay. My local antique camera vendor has one on his shelf right now, he wants $290 (Canadian), with a 90mm lens, I think. So they're cheaper than a Pentax 6x7, but you don't get metering or the same flexibility in lenses.

Old 06-05-2010   #49
dng88
Dennis

I just done my switch last two months - selling M8, CV 101 T, Rollei T, ... to Pentax 67.

I did try and still have my old Hassey lens bought last year with 4 lens. The issue with Hassey is that even if 2 Prism, it is not easy to handhold on eye level. I even got the grip .... but even with it, it is much worst than Pentax 67 in handling.

I ended with now 7 lens (55, 90 both LS and non-LS, 135, 165LS, 200, 300 nonEDIF) and NII plus nearly 3 extension tube, Helicord and reverse adapter. I even have the one for using my Leica/CV screw mount. So far very happy. Even using some of these lens with my D300 and it is okish, especially the 55F4.

I did miss leaf shutter lens as hand hold at 1/30 is a luck issue with 67 even with mirror lock ... I looked at Mamiya 67RZ, may be that is an even better option but once again the modular design frighten me after Hassey. Hence, no 1/15 like one taken with my Rollei T. Also, it is non-Zeiss, non-Leica, non-Rollei, non-..., only 1/30 sync speed for flash and it has no interchangable backs, ... But I think Pentax 67 is a good compromise especially NII Is such an advance camera - I like its spot meter, very good for my Velvia 50 picture taken.

The only one thing I really hate is it is very hard to load film to it. I started my film experience with medium format from 2004 with lots of these loading :-) Holga, Yaschica 124G, Bronica 6x6 and 645, 6x9 back on 4x5, Hassey, Rollei, ... a lot but nothing as bad as Pentax 67. I do not expect it would act like my autoload Fuji 645Zi but somehow I go through all the possible advice on the web and there is no good way to load it quick. I do not want to carry 2 body and someone said using 220 is hard on NII.

Hence, if you can survive the slowness to load film, I recommend 6x7 even if it is not a RF and full of limitations which I bet many of us can live with.
Tachihara 4x5, Kodak 2d 8x10
D: Nikon D300, Epson v700, Nex III&5n

Old 06-05-2010   #50
barnwulf

After reading this I am inspired to get out my 67II and do some shooting. I used to shoot a lot of landscapes and used a 67 for a few years and then got a 67II. 67II was a nice improvement with less vibration and with the AE prism. I have a collapsed vertebra in my mid back so weight is an issue for me. I can’t say enough about the amazing image quality and size and lens quality. Even though I haven’t used the camera for several years I just can’t bare to get rid of it. I have some 120 b&w film that I purchased a few months ago so I guess I had better get it out and use it.