Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Non Rangefinder Cameras > SLRs - the unRF

SLRs - the unRF For those of you who must talk about SLRs, if only to confirm they are not RF.

Old 05-09-2011   #376
keytarjunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickT View Post
Here's one from this weekend. Believe it or not, I handheld it, without the prism, at 1/15s
20110509 by patricklikeslight, on Flickr
Wow I can't imagine holding this camera for that long! Nice shot man.

Old 05-09-2011   #377
keytarjunkie

This might be my last night photo for a while, finals are coming up and then I'm going home for the summer so no jobo (and I'm not paying to get my film developed). I have some more industrial photos that I might post later.

I'm really getting back into the 105, it's so dreamy

and yet so sharp

looking at my daytime photographs...makes me want to just keep taking night photographs

Old 05-12-2011   #378
maclaine

Well, I have succumbed. After thinking and researching and waiting and waiting, a great deal popped up here on Craigslist and I couldn't pass it up. The listing was a bit vague, with no pictures, but the price made it intriguing enough that I had to check it out. It was $200 for a 6x7 body with the TTL prism, wood grip, and a Super Multi Coated Takumar 75mm f/4.5. The body and lens both definitely qualify as "user", and maybe even borderline KEH "ugly", but that's just the cosmetics. I ran a test roll through it and everything worked perfectly. Internally, everything looks great although it will need new light seal foam at some point. The glass on the lens is flawless, and it focuses smooth. I'm really excited to burn some rolls of film this weekend and give it a proper run through!

The fellow I bought it from was an elderly gentleman who for years had a side business taking landscape photos. Many of his photos had been used for postcards of the Pacific Northwest, and he showed me a bunch of them. Pretty amazing work, to be honest. It was the kind of stuff you envision in your head when you think "landscape photography". Here's his site, although it seems to be a bit broken at the moment. In the gallery, you can't view the photos any larger than thumbnail size, which is a real shame. Also, they seem to be way more saturated than the postcards and prints he showed me.

http://ccadamsphotos.com/index.html

Now, after months of watching this thread, I'll finally be able to contribute.

75mm f2.8
Old 05-12-2011   #379
Don Parsons

75mm f2.8

Hi guys,

Is this lens pretty rare? I'm looking to get one for a trip this fall and can't seem to find any available.

Or am I just not looking in the right place?

don
Contax G1 w/35, 45 & 90 mm lenses, Canonet QL GIII Bessa R w/Canon 35mm 2.8
Eos 60D, Elan 7E, Nikon FE, FM 8008
Pentax UC-1, Yashica T4S
Panasonic LX-5

Old 05-12-2011   #380
charjohncarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by keytarjunkie View Post
This might be my last night photo for a while, finals are coming up and then I'm going home for the summer so no jobo (and I'm not paying to get my film developed). I have some more industrial photos that I might post later.
and yet so sharp
looking at my daytime photographs...makes me want to just keep taking night photographs
I like the 105 during the day, like I said I'm in bed when you are shooting. At first I didn't like the Chrysler in that 'last night shot for a while' but later thinking about it; I do. You are young and 40 years from now it will look good. I never liked my present day car shots but when I look back, well, now I do (not 6x7, 126mm Instamatic):

Last edited by charjohncarter : 05-13-2011 at 06:35.

Old 05-12-2011   #381
nlubis

105, I think at 4/5.6.
This was a Kodak Vericolor. Expired 15 years ago .

Old 05-12-2011   #382
Paddy C
Unused film collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Parsons View Post
Hi guys,

Is this lens pretty rare? I'm looking to get one for a trip this fall and can't seem to find any available.

Or am I just not looking in the right place?

don
The lens seems to be very rare. Others might have more info, but it was one of the last lenses to be introduced (2001) and I gather they must not have made many. I also gather that those who own them keep them.

I purchased one earlier this year through Japan Exposure's equipment sourcing service. I have only seen one listed on eBay (also from earlier this year). Expect to pay something like $800-900 for one in excellent condition. The one I bought was about $650, but was not considered "mint". However, I cannot find any fault with it. So I think I got lucky.

If you cannot locate one, I recommend contacting Dirk at JE and seeing what he can do for you. His service is excellent and the fee is very reasonable.

I should also note that I ordered the hood from B&H. At the time they were selling them new for $10. I paid almost three times that price to have it shipped to Canada! but, in the end, figured it wasn't a bad price for a brand new hood.

Old 05-13-2011   #383
Frontman

I finally picked up a Pentax 67 today. I couldn't pass it up, the price was only $40. Cosmetically, it is clean, but it has some issues with the shutter, which tends to stick open at the middle speeds. I found a 75/4.5 lens for another $40 (makes no sense to have a camera body with no lens).

I pulled the camera apart to lubricate and clean it, but I will have to find a manual before tackling the shutter issue. The lens is nice, with no issues, hopefully I'll get the camera up and running soon, I would like to see what it can do.

Old 05-13-2011   #384
Paddy C
Unused film collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by keytarjunkie View Post

Don't be too hard on yourself. I really like this.

Old 05-13-2011   #385
maclaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontman View Post
I finally picked up a Pentax 67 today. I couldn't pass it up, the price was only $40. Cosmetically, it is clean, but it has some issues with the shutter, which tends to stick open at the middle speeds. I found a 75/4.5 lens for another $40 (makes no sense to have a camera body with no lens).

I pulled the camera apart to lubricate and clean it, but I will have to find a manual before tackling the shutter issue. The lens is nice, with no issues, hopefully I'll get the camera up and running soon, I would like to see what it can do.
Wow! Sounds like your deal was even better than mine. $80 is a damn good price for a camera body and lens!

I'm currently putting a roll of Fuji Acros 100 through mine to see how it all checks out. I'm really looking forward to the results.

Old 05-14-2011   #386
Frontman

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclaine View Post
Wow! Sounds like your deal was even better than mine. $80 is a damn good price for a camera body and lens!

I'm currently putting a roll of Fuji Acros 100 through mine to see how it all checks out. I'm really looking forward to the results.

I hope your shots come out well. I found the problem with the shutter to e due to dirty electrical contacts, it is now working properly. I also found the meter contacts to be loose, with a little tightening the mete is also working propely. I put a roll of Trix in the camera, and I will shoot it at lunch today, hopefully I can develop it tonight.

Old 05-16-2011   #387
Frontman

Today I picked up a 55/3.5 lens with an accessory grip for $100, it's been well used, but the glass looks nice enough. I shot a roll of film yesterday, but haven't had the time to mix any chemicals, hopefully I'll be able to develop some film by the weekend.

The 55mm lens is small, but quite heavy compared to the 75mm lens. I found an Optech USA strap today which was equipped with metal clips. Unfortunately, the clips were made for smaller size studs, but I was able to modify them to work on the 67 by filing on them a bit. I like the Optech straps because they make carrying heavy cameras a bit more comfortable, and they are made in the USA (even in Japan I try to buy American).

With any luck, I hope to get out on Friday and do some shooting.

Old 05-19-2011   #388
j.scooter

Taken with the 105 @2.4 and 1/500.

Old 05-21-2011   #389
chrishayton

Just picked up the 67 MLU with the 105mm by chance at a local camera shop for a bargain. Just shot my first roll and waiting for the negs to dry.
I love this camera, the viewfinder is amazing, huge and so easy to focus. The negs make my Leicas look like a point and shoot.
Expect pics soon!

Old 05-25-2011   #390
j.scooter

One more with the 105 2.4 Tri-x and D76

Old 05-25-2011   #391
Paddy C
Unused film collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.scooter View Post
Taken with the 105 @2.4 and 1/500.
Perfect. I assume you were focussing on her hands? Really spot-on DoF here. You managed to get her face in focus just before everything else falls away.

Old 05-26-2011   #392
j.scooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy C View Post
Perfect. I assume you were focussing on her hands? Really spot-on DoF here. You managed to get her face in focus just before everything else falls away.
Thanks Paddy!!

Ummmm...
I was actually focusing on her eyes.

Focusing the 67 has been difficult for me. The viewfinder of the Metered Prism is a bit dark and I find the image in the viewfinder does not change dramatically from not in focus to in focus. So I spend a lot of time going back and forth wondering I am focused or not, I take my best guess and press the shutter.

I have shot less than 10 rolls through this camera so I am hoping that my focusing skills will increase with time and more rolls.

Old 05-30-2011   #393
charjohncarter

Some more Pentax 6x7 gas, this time extension tubes:

Old 06-07-2011   #394
j.scooter

with the 105 @ 2.4

Old 06-07-2011   #395
Paddy C
Unused film collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.scooter View Post
Thanks Paddy!!

Ummmm...
I was actually focusing on her eyes.

Focusing the 67 has been difficult for me. The viewfinder of the Metered Prism is a bit dark and I find the image in the viewfinder does not change dramatically from not in focus to in focus. So I spend a lot of time going back and forth wondering I am focused or not, I take my best guess and press the shutter.
Well it worked!

I have also found focusing difficult. My 67II has the split-image screen while my 67 has the microprism screen. The view through the 67II prism is so much better, but yet I find it more difficult to focus than the microprism in the 67.

Old 06-07-2011   #396
chrishayton

Favorite camera? no
Best quality of image I have ever had, Definitely!

I Love this format and the 105mm lens is perfect.

Old 06-07-2011   #397
bobby_novatron
Photon Collector

The 105mm lens on the Pentax 67 is really underrated, IMHO. The image quality is fantastic on this little unassuming lens.

Old 06-07-2011   #398
achman

I got mine on Craigslist.com in NYC, where I live. I got an excellent condition 67, non-metered (I hand meter everything) with a 200mm F4, 105mm F2.4, and 55mm F4 along with a waist level finder, hoods, and some other things for $650. Yes it was a steal, no it is not impossible to find a deal like that. It is one of my favorite cameras, and I have many. I find that when I shoot something that means a lot to me, I get out the 67. The 105mm F2.4 lens is magical when shot wide open. The 55mm is very sharp, and I haven't used the 200mm enough to form an opinion but it seems promising.

I wanted something to replace my ETRS which handled faster and was more conducive to shooting portraits. The 67 handles brilliantly, and I have used it to shoot portraits as well as do street shooting.

Pentax 67 with 105mm F2.4, Fujichrome.

Another with the 105mm F2.4

You can view many more 67 images on my website

www.BrianAch.com

under "Remember Film?"

Last edited by achman : 06-07-2011 at 16:42.

Old 06-07-2011   #399
jan normandale
Film is the other way

Brian I really like that portrait and the couple are equally tasteful, but that portrait.... !!

it's all about light

My 3-year-old - 67II / 90 f/2.8
Old 06-08-2011   #400
notraces
Bob Smith

My 3-year-old - 67II / 90 f/2.8

agirlwithherdog by notraces, on Flickr