Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Rangefinder Forum > Rangefinder Photography Discussion

Rangefinder Photography Discussion General discussions about Rangefinder Photography. This is a great place for questions and answers that are not addressed in a specific category. Take note there is also a General Photography forum.

Wilson Rodrigues (City of God)
Old 07-20-2005   #1
pmu

Wilson Rodrigues (City of God)

Do you know any links to Wilson Rodrigues's photos on the web? (on the web I saw his last name written in many ways; RodriQueS, RodriQueZ , RodriGueS or RodriGueZ). The absolutely fantastic motion picture "City of God" are based on his life and I would like to see the real pictures on those events that appear on the movie.

Thanks.

Old 07-21-2005   #2
stet
lurker.

bump for a good question.

And, uh, also because I wanted to ask if anyone knew what he shot with, or what the camera in the movie was.

RFF | rickv.com

Old 07-21-2005   #3
popitz
The Rangefinder Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stet
And, uh, also because I wanted to ask if anyone knew what he shot with, or what the camera in the movie was.
you tell me. i'll be damned if this picture is not a mirror image. a lefty camera!!

Old 07-21-2005   #4
stet
lurker.

ha! that's awesome. I also like the badly PhotoShopped bar likely covering the logo on the finder.

RFF | rickv.com

Old 07-21-2005   #5
Terence T
Where'd my Bessa go?

Likely a mirror image in all probablilty. There have been attempts at creating left handed SLR cameras in the past. Below is Ken Rockwell's one and only left handed F100 prototype.

V i s i t . M y . P h o t o . B l o g

E m a i l . M e ( N o . P M . P l e a s e )

Old 07-22-2005   #6
aizan

i haven't been able to find anything on wilson rodrigues! luv the movie though, and have gone out to get the brazilian version of the kodak instamatic 177x and kodak retina reflex s (from jon goodman on this forum). still gotta get a nikon f with black metered prism and 135mm lens. that's the camera in the photo.

Old 07-22-2005   #7
Pherdinand
5000 & call it a day!

I am not sure but it could be a nikon F... Pretty bulky camera, heh?
He certainly uses a 135mm, however. I remember the newspaper guy asking him if he needs to shoot from a distance, he says yes, and the guy replies 'here's a 1355m then, this will bring the image closer' or stg like that.

Old 07-22-2005   #8
Brian Sweeney

Nikon F with FTN Photomic Meter, Nikkor 135mm F3.5 lens, non-AI, single coated version. The FTn Meter Head was introduced in 1969, and continued until production of the "F" ended. You can tell if a show pays accurate attention to detail if you see a "T" head if set before 1968. A "Quantum Leap" episode set ~1968 went to that detail. Sydney Poitier used an original Nikon F with "Bullseye" Photomic head in "The Bedford Incident". A "Tn" head added a tiny white button for battery check, and went to 60/40 center weighted metering. How come no one gets "Close-Ups" of the cameras!

You can just make out the Meter Release Lever that holds it to the body, prevents Photomic Fly-Off syndrome present in the Photomic, "T", and "Tn". The 135 F3.5 has a fairly unique (for Nikkor lenses) deeper-Blue Coating on the front element.

I'll try to remember posting a shot of my setup like this.

Last edited by Brian Sweeney : 07-22-2005 at 02:39.

Old 07-22-2005   #9
Brian Sweeney

Nikon Ftn Photomic, with 135mm F3.5 Nikkor-Q, and a Black Nikon Ftn Photomic ($100 Pawn Shop rescue) with 24mm F2.8 Nikkor-N

Taken with a Nikon E3 full-frame digital camera with 50mm F1.4 AI lens, 1/10th second @F4.8