Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Clubs, Critique, RFF Projects, Salon > Photogs / Photo Exhibits

Photogs / Photo Exhibits This is the place to discuss a particular Photographer (work, style, life, whatever), as well as to post Gallery and Museum Photo Exhibitions and your own impressions of them. As we march on in this new digital world, it is often too easy to forget about the visual importance of the photographic print, as well as their financial importance to the photographer. It is also interesting to remember that some guy named Gene Smith shot with lenses that many lens test reading "never had a picture published in their life" amateurs would turn up their their noses at, as being "unacceptable."

My next exhibition - come along (Impression Milton Keynes)
Old 03-20-2010   #1
Lilserenity

My next exhibition - come along (Impression Milton Keynes)

Hiya,

I have three more exhibitions that are coming up this year into 2011. They will all be fairly short running (probably 2 weeks at a time.)

They are of my Impression Milton Keynes project, a documentary of a new city in England; of its landscape, its places, its people -- it's perhaps as Gene Smith would have said, an attempt at the synthesis of the whole.

Red balloon photo used under the Creative Commons license, photo by Mezuni (click for details) -- Ironically, I haven't taken a red balloon photo yet, hence this isn't mine. I had done in October but the roll of film went missing....

I have been working on the project for a year now and though not finished, I am almost there.

The next one is held between 23rd April 2010 through to 7th May 2010 in Midsummer Place, Central Milton Keynes, MK9 3GB, UK. It is easy to get to (half way between London and Birmingham, Oxford and Cambridge) by car, coach or train. Free parking is available but limited. It will be in the Midsummer Place 'atrium' (sits between the centre:mk shopping centre and the east/west walks.)

Needless to say it's free.

I'll be around on the morning of the 23rd April when it is being hung if you fancy popping along.

All shot on a Leica M2, some on an OM2n and Minolta Autocord.

Download the Flyer

I hope you might be able to come along.

Vicky

Last edited by Lilserenity : 03-20-2010 at 11:34.

Old 03-20-2010   #2
zuikologist

I am in Silbury Boulevard from time to time. I'll try to get along to the exhibition. Good luck in any case.

PS: The red balloon is such a reminder of the MK television adverts.

Old 03-20-2010   #3
Lilserenity

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuikologist View Post
I am in Silbury Boulevard from time to time. I'll try to get along to the exhibition. Good luck in any case.

PS: The red balloon is such a reminder of the MK television adverts.
Great! Not far at all from where it'll be. As for the red balloon absolutely spot on...

Old 03-20-2010   #4
payasam
a.k.a. Mukul Dube

I trust it will go well. You might like to make sure to have plenty of copies of something with your addresses and phone numbers -- card or A6 size paper with a photo -- for people to pick up should they want to get in touch later.
RFF gallery
Flickr gallery

Old 03-21-2010   #5
jesse1dog
Gone Digital

Vicky

That's a good point payasam is making - you probably need at least a couple of hundred - and all the best for the displays. Are you doing a lot more prints?

jesse

'A photograph shows a slice of life that is already history; just a piece of a jig-saw that you will never see completed!'

Lumix LX7 - Lumix GF1 and some others not in use!.

My Gallery

Old 03-21-2010   #6
Lilserenity

Hiya,

Fancy that, just about to reply to your PM Jesse Anyway... Thanks for the advice, I thought about getting some business cards run up for when I'm not there (which is most of the time, sadly I have to have a day job to pay the bills like most people, and I can't do that and pop into an exhibition 130 miles away, must see if I can get in on the Brighton Photo Fringe this year... anyway I digress!)

I did think of running off something like the flyer, but again it's money so I think the business card would work well. I used to have some I handed out if people ever came up to me when taking photos (shameless self promotion and a if accused of something look man I'm giving you my details -- but that has never happened) but I ran out at the end of last year.

As for running off prints, well I'm doing them in the darkroom, I'm using some of what I had done last time; and then I'm going to print the new ones in the darkroom, as I have been using my Autocord for a lot of the street/candid and portrait stuff using negative film which I can RA4 print in the darkroom. I've just gotta pay for the mounting. Thankfully I've agreed to do someone's website and that will help with the cost of that. I may need to get some more prints done depending on what I see this week when I'm up in MK and I have the camera loaded with Kodachrome but we will see.

But prints will be available for sale, not sure how much for. Not much, I'm just a no name amateur; but I do like my photos from this project on the whole (I think you kinda have to, I need a little self respect to say yeah, I can take an alright picture, nothing big headed in that -- self belief got me this far, even if really it's not that far, but to me it feels like I've crossed an ocean!)

Either way it's really exciting.

One of the things I have managed to pull off (and should have some of the local press support in this too) is to take portraits of people who live in the city who are proud of where they live, and they'll be of all ages, from all areas, of all abilities and in all locations, their houses, their front porches, riding their horse, outside their flats, riding their bikes... All sorts -- these are the really exciting part of the project which I see as the end credits sequence, bit like a movie.

The way Sam Stephenson arranged W Eugene Smith's Pittsburgh Project has hugely influenced me, it's very cinematic, and IMK follows that; but I didn't just want the candid, I wanted to put the face to a place that so many outside only know for its physical attributes or as a byword for something negative.

I'm not gonna change the world, but I felt that pride going round the city and decided to have it as integral to the project.

Anyway, enough of that...

Vicky

Old 04-26-2010   #7
Lilserenity

Just thought I'd bump this and let you know it's up and hanging now until May 7th.