Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > 35mm Film Range Finders > Leica Screw Mount Copies

Leica Screw Mount Copies Classic Leica Copy forum as listed in the book 300 Leica Copies, including but not limited to Nicca, Leotax, Honor, Canon etc. At one time there was a major part of the camera industry just trying to make a lower cost copy/dirivitive of the original Leica.

Leotax - Topcor-S 5cm f/2 and Fujinon 5cm f/2
Old 02-21-2009   #1
brobbins

Leotax - Topcor-S 5cm f/2 and Fujinon 5cm f/2

I understand that Leotax cameras were sold with both Fujinon and Topcor ltm lenses. Has anyone here tried either the Topcor-S 5cm f/2 or Fujinon 5cm f/2 lens? If so, what did you think of the lens? Is the reputation of one better than the other? Thanks.

Old 02-21-2009   #2
David Murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobbins View Post
I understand that Leotax cameras were sold with both Fujinon and Topcor ltm lenses. Has anyone here tried either the Topcor-S 5cm f/2 or Fujinon 5cm f/2 lens? If so, what did you think of the lens? Is the reputation of one better than the other? Thanks.
I've seen these lenses for sale on eBay from time-to-time. Prices see to range up to $500 or so, particularly for the Topcon lenses. Vintage Topcon is getting quite a following. They are rare for sure. My guess is that they have good optics, but that their price is more indicative of their novelty. I do own a Leotax Simlar 5cm F3.5 which in my judgment outperforms the very similar Leica Elmar.

http://legacycamera.wordpress.com

Old 02-21-2009   #3
Bill58
Native Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobbins View Post
I think they are rarer than a Republican in favor of the Obama Economic Stimulus bill; however, if you really want one, contact Jiri Ecer in Japan (jiri dot e dot jp at gmail dot com). He can comb the camera shops in Toyko for you. Like David Murphy, he's a top-notch fellow.

He might also give you an expert opinion of these lenses' comparative qualities.

Good luck,
Bill

Old 02-22-2009   #4
hilltime

I own a Topcon 50/1.5, Topcon 50/2, as well as a Fujinon 35/2 which I use on my Leotax F, TV2, and FV as well as a Voigtlander Bessa R2. Top notch lenses which I have paid $$$ for but in comparison to most of my other screw mount lenses, they are my favorites. Would love to find a Fujinon 50/1.2 but I don't think I'll have enough $$$ in my life for that one, unless of course I stoop to buying one at a ridiculous price from those people whom seem to have all the rarieties, and probably will continue for the rest of their lives.
Gary

Old 02-22-2009   #5
xayraa33
rangefinder user and fancier

If my LTM Topcor 3.5cm f2.8 lens is anything to go by, then the LTM Topcor 50mm f2 lens must be a splendid lens.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0314.jpg (65.2 KB, 38 views)

Last edited by xayraa33 : 02-24-2009 at 16:03.

Old 02-22-2009   #6
David Murphy

Stop it guys, I'm acquiring Topcon/Fujinon Class Envy! Now I have something new to endlessly lurk the backwaters of eBay and other sites to haplessly search for.

Old 02-23-2009   #7
Hacker
黑客

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltime View Post
Would love to find a Fujinon 50/1.2

Old 02-23-2009   #8
furcafe

I only have experience w/the 5cm/2.8 Fujinon, which seems to be a fine performer, though mine has some fungus (for that reason, & the fact that it's on the slow side, I haven't used it much).

E.g., http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot...hp?photo=49193
Five a Second. Chicago's Bell & Howell Co. (cameras) announced that it would put on sale this fall the world's most expensive still camera. Its "Foton" will take five 35-mm. pictures a second, sell for $700. Bell & Howell, which has found that "families of both low and high incomes now spend over $550" for movie equipment, hopes to sell 20,000 Fotons a year.

--Facts And Figures, Time magazine, Monday, October 4, 1948
My Photoblog

My Flickr stream

My RFF Gallery

Old 02-23-2009   #9
brobbins

Thanks for all the answers. You have convinced me I should try one of these.

Old 02-24-2009   #10
Erik L

whats the yellow part

Old 02-24-2009   #11
xayraa33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik L View Post

whats the yellow part
That is the 3.5cm/5cm combined finder.
The yellow is the gold reflective coating of this galilean type finder.

Last edited by xayraa33 : 02-24-2009 at 15:58. Reason: missed a letter

Old 02-24-2009   #12
Erik L

the finder is as large as the lens? how does that work? reminds me of the underwater camera finders
really confused how they can combine the finder

Old 02-24-2009   #13
xayraa33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik L View Post
the finder is as large as the lens? how does that work? reminds me of the underwater camera finders
really confused how they can combine the finder
the view is very life size, not too different from what is built in the Canon P camera, only more so.

Old 02-25-2009   #14
tooffy

Topcor & Fujinon LTM lenses are all top notch! I have some of them

"Leicaddiction is a terrible affliction" Lars Bergquist

Last edited by tooffy : 04-22-2009 at 07:11.

Old 02-25-2009   #15
richiedcruz

I really like my Topcor 5cm f/2, but it is a very heavy lens. I think it is the heaviest LTM lens I own.

Old 03-09-2009   #16
Hacker
黑客

The Fujinon L 5cm f/2.8 was one of the standard lenses that was sold with the Leotax TV, T2, and K3 cameras.

Old 03-21-2009   #17
Hacker
黑客

Quote:
Originally Posted by furcafe View Post
I only have experience w/the 5cm/2.8 Fujinon, which seems to be a fine performer, though mine has some fungus (for that reason, & the fact that it's on the slow side, I haven't used it much).
I tried it today, and it was surprisingly a very fine performer.

Old 03-23-2009   #18
David Murphy

Very nice shots - quite sharp and colorful like a modern lens - I suspect these lenses were handmade and individually collimated (this is how Nikon achieved such awesome optical performance in the mid 50's). Is that a digital camera you've got it on?

Old 03-23-2009   #19
Hacker
黑客

Yes, it was used with the M8.2. I'm actually very surprised by the quality. A couple more:

Old 04-03-2009   #20
Hacker
黑客

I believe the Fujinons were hybrids, very similar to the Topcors.

Old 04-03-2009   #21
Hacker
黑客

I'm purely speculating of course. This is from the 5cm f/1.2:

Old 04-22-2009   #22
tooffy

Topcor5cmf2 & Fujinon5cmf2 are very sharp. Pleasantly sharp, unlike stark/clinical sharpness of modern asph lenses.
Fujinon5cmf2.0: one in m & the other in feet:

Topcor5cmf2.0- There are 4 versions available & are supposed to differ optically.
However, image rendition between Type 1 & 2 does not seem to differ.
All chrome is Type 1, chrome & black is Type 2, all black is Type 3 & 4. Shown here is Type 1 & 2 (I called it 'Panda' type):

Topcor-S 5cmf1.5 (a half Sonnar). This is an improvement over the Simlar 5cmf1.5 which is a little softer.
Rendition of Topcor-S 5cmf1.5 is almost identical to Canon50mmf1.5.
See http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...t=69170&page=4 post #81 & #94

Last edited by tooffy : 04-22-2009 at 09:50.

Old 01-16-2010   #23
tooffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAN F View Post
I have sent an e-mail inquiry to Fuji HQ. in Japan to see if they have any information in their archives regarding the optical design, production numbers etc., of the Fujinon L lenses and I am hoping they might come forward with some information in due course.
That's great! Do share with us if you get anything.
Thanks.

Topcor-S 5cm F2
Old 01-17-2010   #24
ElliotV

Topcor-S 5cm F2

I actually just was provided one of these (a Topcor-S 5cm F2 lens) by a colleague who is retiring, to either keep and use myself or trade or sell (and split the income). It has been attached to a Canon 7S. Someone at the local camera store is probably interested in buying the Canon.

As to the lens, it looks very clean and the glass looks to be in excellent condition. I need to get an m39 to micro 4/3 adapter for it to work on my Panasonic G1. From what I understand of its worth, I am inclined to sell it or trade, though.

There was another lens that came with the camera, a Canon Serenar 85mm f2 lens. It looks interesting, too, and from what I read can be a decent lens, but I am even more likely to sell or trade that one because of its weight.

Any advice you can provide to me would be appreciated. As you will see, I am brand new to this forum. My interest in rangefinders began in 1962 when my father bought me a Voigtlander Vitomatic II. I learned a lot about photography through that little camera, though honestly I was always frustrated at not having a zoom lens!

Last edited by ElliotV : 01-17-2010 at 14:35. Reason: Added "(a Topcor-S 5cm F2 lens") for clarity

Old 12-22-2010   #25
Hacker
黑客

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAN F View Post
I have sent an e-mail inquiry to Fuji HQ. in Japan to see if they have any information in their archives regarding the optical design, production numbers etc., of the Fujinon L lenses and I am hoping they might come forward with some information in due course.
Did you ever get a reply for this lens? Am curious myself.