Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > 35mm Film Range Finders > Leica M -- Leica CL

Leica M -- Leica CL This forum is about all things Leica CL, the little M mount camera that could.

Anyone with picture of a home brewed hood for Summicron-C
Old 01-27-2010   #1
Gary E

Anyone with picture of a home brewed hood for Summicron-C

Would anyone out there post a pic of their home brewed hood solution for the 40mm Summicron-C? I have seen some out there with the old round 35mm Summicron mounted on or the newer rectangular hood being used with a modified retaining ring. I also thought of carefully screwing on a 12550/12549 hood from the last 50mm Elmar-M, but that's a costly venture. Also, have anyone tried the variety of metal 39mm hoods from sellers like Heavystar that are vented?

I have used this lens in the past without much notice to flare, but for some reason I have been encountering it more lately. Not sure if it's my filter causing this, but any information would be appreciated
Hoping for FF Fuji or any other FF ILC digital for that matter

For Pete's sake, they're all good. Just get out there and shoot with what you've got!

Old 01-27-2010   #2
Biggles
My cup runneth amok.

I've only used the original rubber one from Leica. If you're looking for an alternative because you don't like the original, that's okay. But if it's because you simply can't find one, be informed that they're apparently still available from Leica. Sherry Krauter has sold me two of them.

Old 01-27-2010   #3
Steve M.

The generic metal hoods look and work great. I've used the hoods from heavystar and others. Don't have any photos of them, but as you can see on the ebay ads they look almost exactly like the Leica hoods.

You can adapt most any hood w/ step rings or adapters, but your lens has a really odd size.

I think most people just lightly screw in the 39mm hoods.

Last edited by Steve M. : 01-27-2010 at 03:41.

Old 01-27-2010   #4
Paul T.

THe standarde heavstar hood seems to scrw on and off ok, despite the different thread. But as mentioned, the collapsible hood is great and not too hard to find, well worth paying the little extra - the beautiy of the Cron C, and the CL ,is its compact size and the collapsible hood retains that.

Old 01-27-2010   #5
Biggles
My cup runneth amok.

The 40mm Summicron-C has a b&stard filter ring screw thread to go along with its unique lens shade. The eternal problem is finding step rings or adaptors that match the thread on the front of the lens properly. Some people may have no qualms about screwing a mismatched thread hood into their lens, but, being the King of Crossthreaders, I'm not one of them.

Old 01-27-2010   #6
JRG

I've got a hood of the sort you describe (I think). It was put together by DAG, or so I was informed by the seller when I bought it here. I don't have any pics of it, but there's not a whole lot to show: It's a round, black hood with a filter ring attached at the back. Works just fine, as I recall.

But I don't own a 40 Summicron-C any more. I was gonna list this hood one of these days anyway; if you're interested, PM me.

Old 01-27-2010   #7
Gary E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
I've only used the original rubber one from Leica. If you're looking for an alternative because you don't like the original, that's okay. But if it's because you simply can't find one, be informed that they're apparently still available from Leica. Sherry Krauter has sold me two of them.
Well, I was never a fan of rubber lens hoods. I also have the 90 Elmar-C and the rubber hood, but I don't feel as protected as with a metal hood nor do I feel it as effective (probably unjustified). Also snapping on and off that front cap is not my cup of tea as I've almost lost it on several occasions.

I would like to fit on something similar to the one on the 50 Elmar-M or the VC 50 Heliar, but I think I'm going to try to get one of those aftermarket 35 Summicron-M looking hoods. It's just that I'm not in the States at the moment and don't have easy access to a rangefinder friendly camera store. If I wanted a Pentax K-X or a Nikon D3000 I can get one at a moments notice but not a Leica 12518 hood

For Pete's sake, they're all good. Just get out there and shoot with what you've got!

Old 01-27-2010   #8
Biggles
My cup runneth amok.

I hear ya. Availability why I have two of those damned rubber hoods. I like them fine otherwise, though. Makes the camera pocketable.

Old 01-27-2010   #9
VictorM.

Here's my solution. Using a sharp Exacto knife, I trimmed off the rubber lens hood, leaving enough rubber on the ring to create a tight fit for the 12526 hood. Then I cut tiny notches for the 'claws' on the hood.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010011.JPG (41.9 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg P1010006.JPG (60.8 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg P1010002.JPG (65.1 KB, 148 views)

Old 01-27-2010   #10
fbf

3rd party screw-on metal vented hood sells for less than $10

Old 01-27-2010   #11
Gary E

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorM. View Post
Here's my solution. Using a sharp Exacto knife, I trimmed off the rubber lens hood, leaving enough rubber on the ring to create a tight fit for the 12526 hood. Then I cut tiny notches for the 'claws' on the hood.
Whoa ho hoa now we're talking. The only thing is I foolishly threw out the old busted hood ring and all.

One thing about this lens is there is no barrel extension in front of the aperture ring to tape or grab onto (for a makeshift hood); guess this is why the lens is so compact. And there's not enough demand to create an aftermarket hood with the 0.75 thread pitch.

Old 02-06-2010   #12
Tipton
Tipton Photo

Hey Gary
.....Check this out...helped me a lot...

http://myweb.lmu.edu/sshepherd/Summicron40Hood.htm

Best of luck!
Bryan

Old 02-10-2010   #13
excellent

VictorM your hood looks great!

Old 02-12-2010   #14
rlouzan

by roudg
Robin, Singapore
n70

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...t=56800&page=3

Old 02-14-2010   #15
Al Patterson
Ferroequinologist

Yeah, the rubber hood on my 40 is around 1/3 detached. Still usable, but good to know I can either replace it or kitbash an alternative solution.

Canon QL17 GIII
Leica CL 40mm Summicron-C 50mm Hexanon
Yashica Electro 35 GSN

Old 03-06-2010   #16
Al Patterson
Ferroequinologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
Well, my original rubber hood finally came off. How hard is it to replace the original with a new one?

Note: Don't use a 25 year old rubber hood in 20 to 30 degree weather...

Canon QL17 GIII
Leica CL 40mm Summicron-C 50mm Hexanon
Yashica Electro 35 GSN

Old 03-06-2010   #17
like2fiddle
Curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorM. View Post
This is what I wanted to do, but the least expensive rectangular hood I could find was $114, and that's too much for a hood at the moment. Tried to find a used one for weeks, and finally opted to carefully screw in a 39 mm filter and bought a B&W 39mm rubber hood at B&H for 14.95.

WTB: 12526 rectangular hood

To the rocks, even the trees are just passing through...
John Stokes, the Tracking Project

My Flickr

Old 08-18-2011   #18
DennisPT

Thanks for all the suggestions above. I just happened to have an old rubber hood and a worn out 12526 and made one. I took the ears out of the square hood to make the aperture ring more accessible.

Last edited by DennisPT : 08-18-2011 at 20:00. Reason: Photo upload

Old 08-18-2011   #19
Broke

This works well for me -- includes a series 5.5 --> 39mm ring.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-Metal-Hoo...#ht_500wt_1156

I had previously filed one of the Canadian series 5.5 rings down to fit inside the 35mm summicron hood. This worked okay, but didn't have the 39mm filter threads.

Cheers,
Jim

Broke
Toronto

Old 08-18-2011   #20
DennisPT

That's how it looks on my CLE.

Old 09-10-2011   #21
rogerzilla

Clamp-on rubber 39mm hoods often appear on eBay. Minolta made them.

The Summicron-C hood thread is ES39 39 x 0.75mm (not E39 39 x 0.5mm) and Heliopan made, maybe still make, stuff for that size. I have a Heliopan ES39 UV filter which screws on perfectly.

My gallery