Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Konica RF / Zeiss Ikon ZM Leica Mount Rangefinders

Konica RF / Zeiss Ikon ZM Leica Mount Rangefinders Konica and Zeiss versions of the AE electronic film rangefinder camera

View Poll Results: Hexar Rf or M7
Hexar RF 172 40.57%
M7 252 59.43%
Voters: 424. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-12-2011   #81
Moriturii
Unsui

Can anyone with a Konica Hexar RF and a mobile phone camera please put your cellphone camera up against the viewfinder and take a picture. I am really curious how the viewfinder looks with 50mm framelines! Sounds like the RF has a very wide FoV and the 50mm view might be tiny?

Update: Never mind, saw via the manual online, looks like 90mm framelines on a Leica M2, it's tiny Dreams, shattered.

Last edited by Moriturii : 06-12-2011 at 05:33.

Old 06-12-2011   #82
barnwulf

I would choose the M7 without a doubt. I like my M7 a lot but probably shoot a little more with my MP. Jim

Last edited by barnwulf : 06-12-2011 at 17:15.

Old 06-12-2011   #83
umcelinho
Marcelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriturii View Post
Can anyone with a Konica Hexar RF and a mobile phone camera please put your cellphone camera up against the viewfinder and take a picture. I am really curious how the viewfinder looks with 50mm framelines! Sounds like the RF has a very wide FoV and the 50mm view might be tiny?

Update: Never mind, saw via the manual online, looks like 90mm framelines on a Leica M2, it's tiny Dreams, shattered.
not quite, they are considerably bigger... the 90mm framelines on my M4 are almost the size of the 75mm framelines on my Hexar RF. I'd say the 50mm framelines on the Hexar RF would be the size of the 75mm framelines on an M6.

Focus accuracy thought will be a tad lower than the M7 anyway, due to the viewfinder magnification, but I've taken some shots with a Canon 50/0.95 on the Hexar and it was accurate enough to not miss focus.
• cameras & lenses

What I've seen around: flickr

Old 06-19-2011   #84
Ron (Netherlands)

It was for the squinty viewfinder that I sold the Hexar RF: I couldn't see the small led's in bright light, in fact that was the only problem I had with the camera. That was about three years ago. Now I see its value has dropped quite considerable, I guess because nobody can fix them anymore once they break down.

Leica: IIa synch conversion, IIIb, M6 TTL Millenium, Rolleicord V, Rolleiflex 3.5F, Rolleiflex 2.8A

My Flickr

Old 06-19-2011   #85
Moriturii
Unsui

Prices going down? Seems like they are on the ups to me, but I haven't been keeping track for that long so dunno. I am sure they last longer then a Leica though. A lot more reliable shutter.

Last edited by Moriturii : 06-19-2011 at 13:52.

Old 06-20-2011   #86
illuminati_02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriturii View Post
Prices going down? Seems like they are on the ups to me, but I haven't been keeping track for that long so dunno. I am sure they last longer then a Leica though. A lot more reliable shutter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Sandhu View Post
I had an M7, sold, then bought a Hexar RF -- loved it until the damn thing broke (shutter fault) and I can't get it fixed. Wish I'd bought another M7. (But I'm happiest with my MP).
My 45 year old M2 and 6 year old M7 are still going strong. I would think the track record for the more reliable shutter would go to the Leica. If they ever did go, I could atleast get them fixed easily, and have more than a pretty paperweight. Same reason I had sold my CLE several years ago.

Old 08-17-2011   #87
Archiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by illuminati_02 View Post
My 45 year old M2 and 6 year old M7 are still going strong. I would think the track record for the more reliable shutter would go to the Leica. If they ever did go, I could atleast get them fixed easily, and have more than a pretty paperweight. Same reason I had sold my CLE several years ago.
That's one of the reasons why I have held off from getting a Hexar RF or CL/CLE - relative scarcity of repair options. I just feel more comfortable knowing that my M7 will receive a speedy cure if something ails it, rather than having to send a Hexar RF or Minolta CLE to a distant hospital or cruise the streets for unwilling donors, as it were!

Old 08-17-2011   #88
Gary Sandhu

Update-- got my hexar fixed from Japan Exposures.

Old 08-18-2011   #89
Bobfrance
Over Exposed

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmer3.5 View Post
Hi, what can i say after months using my hexar i´m son happy!

1/4000 really lets you make a few things...

cheers!
That is a really lovely shot and says more to me about the nature of film as opposed to the differences between bodies.

I used to own a Hexar RF a few years ago and now I have an M7. I don't actually think I could choose between the two.
The M7 is a really nice camera in all ways, however the Hexar had some outstanding attributes such as the higher exposure speed.
I have had to buy a ND filter for when I want to open up a fast lens in daylight in order to compensate for the lack of top end speed on the M7.

Old 08-27-2011   #90
umcelinho
Marcelo

been thinking here, the poll should be "four Hexar RFs vs one M7"

I've grown to enjoy mine more, been using it as my daily camera in the bag along with a 35/1.4 SC Nokton, using Fuji Superia 800. It will cover pretty much ANY light situation and still allow wider apertures on daylight. I prefer using a faster film as the odds that I'll be shooting in low light are higher than daylight, though. For a quick snap, I've been using an UV filter as lens cap, so one less thing to worry about: i just take the camera from the bag, frame and click. it's usually set to f5.6 during day, when i leave work at night i set to 1.4. extremely versatile kit.

but i have been thinking about getting a x100 for my daily shooting, it being digital and absolutely silent would make things even more practical. thought of a compact, but i'd miss the image quality.
• cameras & lenses

What I've seen around: flickr

Old 08-28-2011   #91
raid
Dad Photographer

A better question would be whether to get one M7 or three Hexar RF cameras.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 08-29-2011   #92
olleorama
flasher extraordinaire

Have not shot with an M7, only M6 and hexar. I would defo go with hexar.

Old 08-29-2011   #93
Moriturii
Unsui

Quote:
Originally Posted by olleorama View Post
Have not shot with an M7, only M6 and hexar. I would defo go with hexar.
M7 is exactly the same as M6, only it has aperture priority mode. In fact all Leica's are more or less exactly the same, only difference is viewfinder (and the rangefinder with the M3), and some very minor internal mechanical components that makes next to no difference, only saves cost for Leica. If you have tried/used one you have used them all. But still, people are vain enough to spend a few extra hundred dollars on a M6 instead of an M4-P, funnyyyyyyyyyy.

But don't tell anyone, best keep Hexar prices low.

Old 08-29-2011   #94
pb908

The poll should be "one m7 vs one m2/m3+a hexar RF"

definitely I'll choose m2/m3+hexar (and possible to get a VC35 as a bonus for the same price)
Let hexar be the main, and M2/M3 be the backup.
Let hexar be the workhorse, and let M2/M3 do the fun time..
I know that hexar 35mm frame line is smaller than m2's 35mm frameline, but isn't that the meaning of "rangefinder=seeing out of the scene"?

Old 09-15-2011   #95
stip80

i understand that one may say that it will be much easier to find someone who can fix m7. but at what price? at the worst case, the repair cost may cost as much as, or even more than, finding used decent hexar. dont you think so?

i agree w/ pb908. if the point is having leica vs non-leica, i wud rather spend the money on m2/m3/m4, which would not cost you a limb as m7, but would definitely be easier to fix/repair as it is a fully mechanical camera as opposed to m7. if you have to spend the money, spend the difference on those coveted leica lens.

Old 09-20-2011   #96
Nick De Marco

I'm lucky 2 have all 3 and any of them are very good cameras
If I had to choose to keep one it would be the M7, with the Seuss ikon coming very close second

And my blog, Rangefinder Chronciles:
http://rangefinderchronicles.blogspot.co.uk

Old 09-24-2011   #97
hlockwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuchs View Post
I'd go for a Leica M7 0.85 for shooting 35mm or 50mm lenses. Even the 0.72 VF has slightly more magnification than the Hexar's and this turns useful with fast lenses shot wide open.
I'm lucky to have both. I keep a 35mm Cron Asph on the Hex RF and a 50mm Elmar-M (latest version) on the 0.85 M7. Since I wear glasses, the 35mm doesn't work well on the M7.

Harry

Leica M7/0.85, Hexar RF, M9-P and a bunch of lenses.

Old 11-06-2011   #98
whitecat
Lone Range(find)er

I would go for the Zeiss 35 because of the viewfinder.

Zeiss Ikon Zm, Olympus Trip, Rolleiflex FX, Yashica Electro 35, Nikon 35 TI, Nikon 28 TI, Widelux F7, Contax TVS III, Zeiss Ikon 35, Minox, Olympus 35 EE3, Konica AA 35, Minox 35 GT, Canonet QL17, and many more....

Old 11-06-2011   #99
Moriturii
Unsui

"1 it still works at 1/60 & 1/125 without batteries which makes the m7 more reliable; 2 the m7 has a longer EBL for do using accuracy, especially useful in dIm light And when shooting faster glass."

I hear things like this, but people never compare their theory vs reality. Do you people live in the african jungle? Artic base? Or out on an oil platform and meet people once a year? If anything a Leica in my experience is less reliable, because the shutter never gives you any feedback. If it drags, bounces, overlaps, has hole in it etc you might shoot 5 rolls and when you develop you have 5 x 36 picture all of which are useless. With a metal bladed shutter when it goes it goes, maybe I am a wierdo but I prefer the latter option thanks.

And an M7 being more accurate then Hexar RF, again, GUESSING, just random speculation sitting on the sofa. I have gotten perfect focus with a 75mm summilux that I tried in a shop, wide open, close range, do people need better accuracy then that? And nothing can compare to the Hexar RF when it comes to bright viewfinder and vividness, that is a complete lie. Perphaps Zeiss Ikon, never tried one though. M7? In your dreams.

It's amazing what people will believe to justify a legend an idea of the past, kids running around on the streets of Paris with wine bottles in their arms.

I slap your OPINIONS away with FACTS.

Next!

Old 11-22-2011   #100
dogbunny
Registered Boozer

Arguing that a camera is less reliable based on battery life is like arguing a car is less reliable because you forgot to put gas/petrol in it.

Old 11-22-2011   #101
Gary Briggs
mamiyaDude

Hexar, can't imagine spending 5-6 times for the Leica.

Old 11-22-2011   #102
sepiareverb
aflutter.

M7. Every time I read the word Hexar I get reflux- and it's been years since I got rid of the thing.

Old 11-22-2011   #103
kdemas
ʎlʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp sƃuıɥʇ ǝǝS

LOL! You did have a nasty repair experience if memory serves me right. Mine has been solid, knock on wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepiareverb View Post
M7. Every time I read the word Hexar I get reflux- and it's been years since I got rid of the thing.

Old 02-06-2012   #104
Dirk

I had the Konica and couldn't warm up to it. May have been the .58 viewfinder and the overall feel of it. I actually prefer the Bessa R2M and the Leica M3. Never used the M7.

Old 02-13-2012   #105
StillKicking

I voted Hexar.. I don't own either but to me the Hexar offer the best bang for the buck. I have owned a Bessa R2A and own a M2 and M3. I never got on with the R2A and so sold it. Since then I have been in the market for a M with build in meter.

M6 or M7 would be lovely but just too expensive so its the Hexar.

Advice and constructive criticism always welcome..

Old 02-15-2012   #106
thirtyfivefifty
Noctilust survivor

Between these two? The M7 without a doubt!

Old 02-15-2012   #107
Doug

The repair issue is a biggie for me. Of my two Hexar RF bodies, one spent almost a year traveling back and forth for repeated repair attempts to the film transport and rangefinder. This sort of takes the confidence out of one... But otherwise I very much like using the camera.

Old 02-19-2012   #108
35mmdelux
Fight On!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmer3.5 View Post
Hi folks,

Which one of these would you choose as your only rf.
Note that everlasting reliability/quality is not an issue to consider (at least in this poll)
Want to know your preference when the only issue is the best tool to get the job done

Thanks!
No question about it: M7.

Simplicity [M7} vs. auto everything [almost]. Simply no comparison.

Old 03-28-2012   #109
kanzlr
Hexaneur

I never owned an M7, just an M8 which is somewhat similar in ergonomics, and honestly, despite the slightly inferior rangefinder visibility on the Hexar, I prefer its ergonomics by a mile. Nice rubber, good grip due to the bumps, nice feeling regarding to switches, easy film handling, perfect focus with my Leica lenses...what more to wish for?

oh, and it was about 1/3 of a used M6

Old 03-28-2012   #110
Lou Iaquinto
Tinshed

I've owned two Hexars for close to ten years. Recently sent one off to Dirk for a CLA. My son's girlfriend used it for her media studies for a few years. It had the crap beaten out of it but lived to tell the tale. Came back from Dirk like a new camera. No experience with the other model. I've thought about trading them in but they're part of the family now.

Lou

Old 04-08-2012   #111
amyukie

I've owned M7 and I loved that camera. Go M7! The quietest camera ever...

Old 04-11-2012   #112
rommelgc
never clever

i have the hexar rf ... which isn't really getting much shooting time. i've only handled the m7 at shows and shops. the hexar is a good change from manual everything to _almost_ auto everything ... free's up my mind when shooting as i don't have to constantly worry if my current settings is correct for a given scene. with the motor it is not as quiet as my m6 but i can live with that. if the rf has limited focusing accuracy ... i stop down a bit, and live with it.

when i do bring the hexar rf out, i have an extra battery with me, and bring along the m6 as the backup.

Old 04-12-2012   #113
kanzlr
Hexaneur

btw, a 1,25x magnifying eyepiece helps with the Hexar and long lenses (just as it does with an M).
ms-mag sells an adapter to use M magnifiers.

Old 09-12-2012   #114
thegf

are these still desirable? i may be getting one as a trade for an X100, but may just turn around and sell it.

Old 09-22-2012   #115
dct

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegf View Post
are these still desirable? i may be getting one as a trade for an X100, but may just turn around and sell it.
It depends on your mindset and shooting stile. I strongly like the fast shooting performance of my Hexar RF at events, using AE(L) and motor wind, concentrating only on framing and focussing.

Old 09-27-2012   #116
Dante_Stella
Rex canum cattorumque

Could you expand on this? The Hexar RF and the M7 have exactly the same exposure modes and the same number of major controls (shutter speed/exposure mode, ISO, exposure compensation).

The only differences are that it is actually simpler to load a Hexar RF and that you get auto-advance without bolting on a bulky and heavy motor drive. The auto-advance on the Hexar doesn't even add any more switches; both cameras use an on-off switch coaxial with the shutter release.

Were you thinking of the Hexar AF?

Dante

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35mmdelux View Post
No question about it: M7.

Simplicity [M7} vs. auto everything [almost]. Simply no comparison.

Old 09-27-2012   #117
Alex Krasotkin

I vote for M7. Always predicted and wonderful results from it. I use it with 50/1.4 and 35/1.4 summilux

Leica M9 silver, Leica M6 Silver 0.85, Noctilux 1.0, Summilux 50/1.4 pre-asph, Summicron C 40/2, Konica Hexar AF, Rolleiflex 2.8 GX Expression, Fuji GA645

Old 09-27-2012   #118
bobby_novatron
Photon Collector

They're both great cameras, IMHO. I've been fortunate to own both.

In the spring of 2012 I deliberately used my M7 a lot. I enjoyed using it. The tactile experience of the M7 is really great. I like how it feels in my hands. The viewfinder is also clear and bright. The biggest drawbacks to the M7 are that #1 it's more expensive than similar cameras, #2 it eats batteries quite quickly, and #3 the 1/1000 top shutter speed can be limiting.

This summer I shot almost exclusively with the Hexar RF. It was a concerted effort to compare the M7 to the Hexar. At first I didn't care for the .60x finder. But as time went by, I began to appreciate the design of the Hexar. Ultra-quick loading! 1/4000 top shutter speed. Ruggedly built. Self-timer. The Hexar boasts lots of utility over the M7 with all those "modern" features.

My biggest complaints about the Hexar? The AE-lock détente is too light. You can't discern how much pressure you need to apply to lock the AE on the shutter release button. And the finder (again, in my opinion) really is optimized for wide lenses. I felt very comfortable using it with a 35 or 28mm lens, but a 50mm felt odd to me. I can't imagine what it would be like shooting a 90 on it!

An aside: I have never had a "registration" issue with my Hexar, and goodness knows I've tried to elicit that so-called "problem". All my lenses seem to focus fine on the Hexar -- a bigger problem is probably my shoddy photography skills.

In summary, they're both great cameras. I think for a person who is on a limited budget, a Hexar (in good shape) can be an excellent choice. Heck, for the price of a Leica M7, you could get a Hexar RF -- and with the spare change get a Leica M3 if you want to have the Leica experience as well.

Old 09-27-2012   #119
kanzlr
Hexaneur

shooting a 90 works nicely on the Hexar RF.
MS-MAG sells an adapter ring to use Leica viewfinder loupes to aid even further. I used the 90 quite a lot.

Old 09-27-2012   #120
bobby_novatron
Photon Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanzlr View Post
shooting a 90 works nicely on the Hexar RF.
MS-MAG sells an adapter ring to use Leica viewfinder loupes to aid even further. I used the 90 quite a lot.
Good information to know. Thanks for that.