Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Coffee With Mentors > Roger Hicks -- Author of The Rangefinder Book

Roger Hicks -- Author of The Rangefinder Book

Roger Hicks is a well known photographic writer, author of The Rangefinder Book, over three dozen other photographic books, and a frequent contributor to Shutterbug and Amateur Photographer. Unusually in today's photographic world, most of his camera reviews are film cameras, especially rangefinders. See www.rogerandfrances.com for further background (Frances is his wife Frances Schultz, acknowledged darkroom addict and fellow Shutterbug contributor) .

Personals ?
Old 12-27-2009   #1
dee

Personals ?

Hi Roger .

A Happy New Year to you and all your readers ! A thought for 2010 -

I have just unwrapped a Contax II , which not so long ago , was in pieces on my kitchen table .[ Thanks RJ from RFF ]

Thanks to Mike Hayley in Ukraine and his genuinely dedicated ex-Arsenal techs - it is now all together with a ' new ' Kiev 2 shutter and several other USSR parts .

It looks georgeous in a more coarse chrome which sparkles in the light .
The paint is renewed , rear leather removed revitalised and Zeiss bumps smoothed out . New leather , not quite matching to the front , and chrome polished like new .

All this for 40 camera , 60 rebuild and parts plus 20 shipping - plus 40 for a clean rigid 50mm f2 Sonnar , though my Brian Sweeney ' Sonnar J3 ' is the perfect match .

My beautifully smooth nicely original CLA KNeB II was 120 .

Frankly , the Kontax has been brought up to a standard to match my near new 1952 KNeB II , which , with CLA would be a similar outlay , but has little or no ' value ' - except to me .

This time - IT'S PERSONAL !

It's perfect for me because it's a close as I can get to a camera which I have rebuilt myself - I know it's recent history and like the combination of two decades - 1930s/1950s , Germany and USSR ... and I IDee with ID compromised items LOL .

It's also amazing that , with non matching body and back , that it did not become a donor for more ' worthy ' Contax cameras .
Few would contemplate such a Kontax FrankenCamera , or consider the bitsa ' worth ' saving , but it's as if it is really MINE due to the very personal dedication to it's new beginning . I love the Arsenal/Kiev connection too , which may not be around for very long now .

Sometimes , it may be the journey which is special , I now have a beautifully working severly compromised , gleaming , bitsa Kontax - but it's my best camera - ever .

Old 12-27-2009   #2
Dave Wilkinson

Looks like we are all awe-struck!....how about a picture or two?
Dave.

Old 12-27-2009   #3
Roger Hicks

Dear Dee,

Yes, personal is important. I get really tired of people who consider EVERYTHING with an eye to the resale price of their current camera, and whether the repairs, etc, cost 'more than it is worth'. Worth to whom?

Oh: and a happy and prosperous New Year to you too, and to everyone else!

Cheers,

R.

Last edited by Roger Hicks : 12-27-2009 at 14:28. Reason: late and well watered

Old 01-06-2010   #4
dee

I hope that my Kontax II and Jonnar will appear here !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KONTAX ONE.jpg (37.6 KB, 37 views)

Old 01-06-2010   #5
Mablo

Lovely Contax, can't wait to see your photos with it. Tell us more of Mike Hauley and how can we contact him?

Old 01-06-2010   #6
oftheherd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee View Post
I hope that my Kontax II and Jonnar will appear here !
That looks nice Dee. Looking forward to seeing photos from it.