Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Non Rangefinder Cameras > TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex

TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex another alternative to the dreaded SLR way of seeing, this forum for all format TLR cameras

Old 10-24-2009   #51
Jason Blake

Hi,

Great thread, I thought I'd add my thoughts. I purchased a Flex 2.8 only two weeks ago and whilst it takes a little getting used to, I really like it. I know I have more to learn and practice will get me there. I am still adjusting to the leveling, the reverse image and the external metering. With my first roll of film i shot some handheld and some on tripod. I enjoyed slowing down, getting the exposure right and checking all bases before shooting.

I shot on transparency and most exposures were fine, some not so, but it amazed me how much detail a scan of an underexposed tranny can reveal. I am thinking of shooting something like Portra for a while and it may allow me to work a little more freely with the camera. But I like knowing whether my exposure is spot on as it helps my confidence in metering. I come from a mostly 35mm background too.

When I saw the quality of the images on Flickr I had to buy myself one. I have a 2.8 Planer and the way it works with the light is very attractive. I looked at lots of different systems and whilst this will take some time to master I know it's worth the effort.

Jason

Some first images
Old 10-24-2009   #52
Jason Blake

Some first images

Like the poster of this thread I am still learning the ins and outs of uploading my images to RFF. I hope it works. The following are some images from my first roll on the Rolleiflex. Film = Provia 100asa
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 005.jpg (44.5 KB, 76 views)

Old 10-24-2009   #53
Jason Blake

Okay that worked! Here are some more. I was testing my camera at various apertures on this roll as there was a funny light fog around the lens rim which could only be seen from looking into the box out through the lens. No problems at all thankfully. The flower was taken with a Rolleinar 3.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (30.4 KB, 56 views)

Old 10-24-2009   #54
Jason Blake

One more image. Seeing these inspires me to my next film. I am shooting some B&W tomorrow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (141.4 KB, 49 views)

Old 10-24-2009   #55
MartinP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron (Netherlands) View Post
I grew up with using a Rollies and my best pictures are still made with them. I must admit that I sold one last year because 120 film is very hard to get.
Difficult to get ? In Nederland ?! Hardly !

I live in a smallish town and there are two photoshops selling a range of colour and black-and-white 120 from Kodak and Ilford though strangely not Fuji.

If you are unlucky locally then you could try, for example, MacoDirect. They will deliver within four days (via UPS, so you can redirect the box to your workplace if necessary) plus they stock dozens of different films from all the manufacturers I have heard of in the last few years. There are also the famous FotoImpex, Fotohuisrovo (the owner posts here) and several other online dealers too.

Last edited by MartinP : 10-24-2009 at 02:16. Reason: Forgot Fotohuisrovo, sorry !

Old 10-24-2009   #56
ChrisPlatt
Thread Killer

I hear ya! I have tried twice to love a TLR, but each time we failed to hit it off and soon separated.
The cameras were gorgeous, but staring down at a dim reversed square image just didn't do it for me.

Chris

Old 10-24-2009   #57
johnny9fingers

I have to say I've had a change of heart. The big change was getting a strap which made handling the Rollei much easier. I am starting to like using this camera and have started another thread saying I am warming to the Rollei......

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/j9fingers/

Old 10-24-2009   #58
Turtle

I can't stand the handling of TLRs. Lovely quiet shutters and great results but handling that is a long way from intuitive and swift for me. Everyone differs but you are certainly not alone.

Old 08-26-2010   #59
ianstamatic

I love seeing the "picture" before I take it in the WLF.
I love the planar lens on my 2.8E, I enjoy using it SO MUCH MORE now I installed a $30 Olsen screen, made a world of difference to me.
I know this sounds like heresy but I think on a purely handling basis I prefer the autocord (something about a focus lever ...). Maybe it's I'm more relaxed doing street photography in the ghetto with a $200 camera versus a $1000 one I also like using my diacord and ikoflex, they are lightweight, simple and cheap.
The thing about the rolleiflex, for me personally, is that my father had one i was NEVER allowed to use. I was always in the darkroom as a young teenager so very active with photography, over the years this 'mystery' camera that I couldn't ever use grew a certain allure.
The fact that he sold it without offering it to me first just pushed me over the edge and I had to buy my own. I plan on one day being able give it to my daughter.

Sanders - thankyou for the link on Vivian. fascinating stuff..

Someone mentioned a walta weltur - by far my favorite vintage folder - and i have one or two

My site

My Blog
My Instagram

Rollei 2.8E, II and Vb, Autocord, Ricoh Diacord +225, Ikoflex
Leica M3 x2 + CL, Contax G1 +28 +45 +90, Rollei 35s, Nikon F3, Lynx 14, Oly OM1, 35RC, 35SP,Konica EE, S2
Fuji gs645 folder +645W, Agfa Isolette's J,I, III, Iskra x2, Welta Waltur x2, Zenobia x3, Super Ikonta 532/16, ZI Nettar
Mamiya RZ Pro x2 bods, 50, 65, 110, 180, 240
Crown Graphic, Toyo 45a : 75 + 90 + 120 +135 +150 + 203 + 210 + 240
PhotoTherm SSK-8R, Aztec Drum Scanner

Old 08-31-2010   #60
Dave Jenkins
Loose Canon

It still surprises me that some people consider the twin-lens reflex difficult to handle and learn. From the very first time I picked one up it has been by far the most comfortable and most intuitive of all cameras for me.

Thanks for the link to Vivian Maier. If you've not familiar with the work of Fritz Henle, pick up a few of his books. They're mostly long out of print, but many are readily available on amazon.com and abe.com and most are not expensive. You will learn a lot from seeing what a master can do with one camera and one focal length. He was my first great inspiration in photography, and continues to be a major influence in my work to this day.

My new book: Georgia: A Backroads Portrait http://blur.by/1gg1SMt
Architecture/Commercial: www.davidbjenkins.com
Weddings: www.davejenkinsphotography.com
My best-selling book (28,000+ copies): Rock City Barns: A Passing Era: http://tinyurl.com/22bcws

John Guttman
Old 08-31-2010   #61
easyrider
Photo addict

John Guttman

Another inspirational Rolleiflex user was John Guttman. Here are some links:

http://www.fraenkelgallery.com/index.php#mi=222&pt=1π=10000&s=0&p=0&a=14&at=1

From his biog . . ."He bought a Rolleiflex, read the instruction manual, shot three rolls, had them store-developed and contact printed, and fobbed himself off as a globetrotting photojournalist at the Berlin agency Presse-Photo, which promptly contracted him . . ."

http://www.masters-of-photography.co...articles1.html

I still have a Rollei I bought in 1955..cannot think of an easier camera to use.

Old 08-31-2010   #62
aperture64
Shoot Film

I have two. I use them for one to two rolls and then they sit for 8 months. I agree with you, but the images that come out of them are perfect. I recently bought an Mamiya 6 and it is just a lot easier than the Rollei.

Old 08-31-2010   #63
johannielscom
985 & 532/16

I'm in trouble here.

I got myself a Mamiya C330f earlier on, to replace the one I foolishly sold. It's still in the mail and I am really looking forward to shooting a Mamiya again. Big and heavy, but I'm tough

But, as I was enthousiastically showing shots of it at my parents place, a friend of my fathers remarked he had an old Rolleiflex that he planned to sell bt did not know how.

Since meeting fellow RFF-er Robbeiflex in Luxemburg city last month (Hi, Rob!) I have this lingering itch for a Rolleiflex, and now I have had that beautiful Rolleiflex 3.5F at home for two weeks already.

Can't afford them both though...

I got some handling and thinking to do, talk to ya later

My photography & gear articles: www.johanniels.com

Old 08-31-2010   #64
Mablo

Johan, either you ruin yourself financially and keep them both or sell another one only to regret it later. Tough situation. Please let us know what your decision will be.

Old 09-01-2010   #65
shyoon

I've only had my Rolleiflex for a couple of days (having only handled a friend's TLR on one other occasion) but the 'feel' of the camera seems very natural to me. Holding it down around my chest and cradling it with both hands, looking down at the ground glass just feels...good.

I still get tripped up with the reversed image though!

Old 09-01-2010   #66
ianstamatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyoon View Post
I've only had my Rolleiflex for a couple of days .....

I still get tripped up with the reversed image though!
Try holding your elbows in tight to you sides and move your body as one unit with the camera. After a little while the orientation will become transparent, but keeping the camera movement 'locked' to you body will help a lot at first.
Also before you press the shutter get in the habit of making a quick check that the camera is totally level and even

My site

My Blog
My Instagram

Rollei 2.8E, II and Vb, Autocord, Ricoh Diacord +225, Ikoflex
Leica M3 x2 + CL, Contax G1 +28 +45 +90, Rollei 35s, Nikon F3, Lynx 14, Oly OM1, 35RC, 35SP,Konica EE, S2
Fuji gs645 folder +645W, Agfa Isolette's J,I, III, Iskra x2, Welta Waltur x2, Zenobia x3, Super Ikonta 532/16, ZI Nettar
Mamiya RZ Pro x2 bods, 50, 65, 110, 180, 240
Crown Graphic, Toyo 45a : 75 + 90 + 120 +135 +150 + 203 + 210 + 240
PhotoTherm SSK-8R, Aztec Drum Scanner

Old 09-01-2010   #67
caila77

easy solution:.....
sell to me your rolleiflex for 20$ and leave happy with another camera.....