Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > SLRs - the unRF

SLRs - the unRF For those of you who must talk about SLRs, if only to confirm they are not RF.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #3681
pagpow

Second looks crisper -- see the letters towards the bottom of the bottle. The bokeh also differs, with the second one having more "continuous" gradation of tones; the first seems to have more discrete jumps -- dee to viewer's right of the bottle, a bit above half-way. I'll leave the hard part -- guessing the "mystery camera" (lens?) to others; it's above my pay grade.

Giorgio

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #3682
Trius
Waiting on Maitani

Which version of the Zuiko 50/1.8?

Happiness is APX100 and Rodinal 1:100

A bunch o cameras. Does it really matter?
And NOW ... Fuji X-Pro1 w/ 18-55 and adapted Zuikos
http://weedram.blogspot.com

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #3683
kymar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trius View Post
Which version of the Zuiko 50/1.8?
Umm. It has MC on the front. Not "made in japan", just "japan". Whatever version that is?

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #3684
Trius
Waiting on Maitani

Quote:
Originally Posted by kymar View Post
Umm. It has MC on the front. Not "made in japan", just "japan". Whatever version that is?
I think version 2 ... I can't remember if there were three versions or four. Hmmm... I think four.

Yes, there is a difference with respect to both sharpness and bokeh. Zuiko-geekery has no bounds.

First version silver nose (F.Zuiko) had harsher bokeh and was not as sharp at wider apertures. All aspects improved with each iteration, but I have a soft spot for the original release - the slight softness was charming. Neither of these shots show that. I vote for #2 as the Zuiko because of the bokeh.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #3685
kymar

Very good everyone. Yes the second shot is the Zuiko.

The reason I did this little test is that my main 2 film rigs at the moment are the OM2n with 50/1.8 and my Nikon FG with 50/2. Every roll I've shot with the Nikon I look at the scan and just think they look sharper and punchier than the shots I take with the Oly. So I just happened to have both cameras loaded with Pan 50 at the same time so thought that wine bottle shot might be a good way to tell differences.

I think the Nikon lens may have a bit more contrast and I think wide open it seems just as sharp as stopped down but by f4 (which is a more realistic shooting aperture anyway!) there's really nothing in it between the two. At least nothing visible in my scans anyway.

Which is just as well as this morning I just bought two black OM2n bodies. Can't wait for their arrival...

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #3686
kymar

Quote:
I think version 2 ... I can't remember if there were three versions or four. Hmmm... I think four.

Yes, there is a difference with respect to both sharpness and bokeh. Zuiko-geekery has no bounds.

First version silver nose (F.Zuiko) had harsher bokeh and was not as sharp at wider apertures. All aspects improved with each iteration, but I have a soft spot for the original release - the slight softness was charming. Neither of these shots show that. I vote for #2 as the Zuiko because of the bokeh.
Would love to hear from some Zuiko Geeks on the different versions. I'm guessing there were four. The original "silvernose", then the "F Zuiko", then the "MC", then the MC "made in japan". I have both the F Zuiko and MC (see pic below). I have pulled them both apart for cleaning and the F zuiko appears much better built; not as plasticky inside.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #3687
Trius
Waiting on Maitani

The original silver nose was also designated F.Zuiko. All were multi-coated. The MC designation on the trim ring was simply branding. I would assume the multi-coating formula might have changed over the several iterations.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #3688
Prest_400

I've got a MiJ 50 1.8, great lens that surpasses many newer optics as an adapted legacy lens on my EPL2. It is deadly sharp, and the sharpest I have around for that camera.

Sadly mine fell once a couple of years ago and hit the mount. Still works perfectly fine except for wide open and close distances, where it's out of whack in my OM-1.

Well, the OM-1 itself has seen better days and it's time for a CLA. Having seen this thread I grabbed it and... It's rather jammed. Shutter releases but the button stays stuck as "down", using the selftimer and shaking it a bit returns. It began to jam by using the selftimer a couple months ago.
Thankfully it held quite well through my semester abroad, and came far with me.

I spent the morning fixing my dad's old road bike, and it's a beauty to see a classic roadworthy again. I'm not shooting 35mm lately, but I do take into account that an overhaul must be made soon.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #3689
Tijmendal
Young photog

I'm looking at a Zuiko 28mm f/2.0, but am wondering what the difference between silvernose and 'normal' (eg. blacknose) is in terms of glass or build. Is it just a cosmetic difference? I would prefer a black nose, but I've found a seller that has a reasonably priced copy of the silvernose.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3690
johank

OMs are small nice and userfriedly. My small heard have lenses between 17 and 200 mm. Much liked are 24/2,8, 85/2 and 50/3,5 or 135/4,5 Macro on a Telescopic Tube or Bellow.

I have got much information from following Books. Olympus, The OM System Lens Handbook, 208 p, 1984. Carl Shipman, How to select & use Olympus SLR Cameras, Isbn 0-89586-015-5, 208 p. Franz Pangler, The world of OM-Systems, 1975, 237 p.

If you search the Net there is a lot to get on Olympus OM.

They are trusty good compainons to my RFF Contaxes and Leicas in their own field.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3691
David Hughes

Hi,

A long, long time ago I used to think that F Zuiko was the name of the designer, then I wondered why his or her brother or sister D Zuiko designed some of the lenses. Then someone told me: that was long before the internet...

Regards, David

PS In pre-internet what they told you was usually true, unlike nowadays.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3692
kymar

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hughes View Post
Hi,

A long, long time ago I used to think that F Zuiko was the name of the designer, then I wondered why his or her brother or sister D Zuiko designed some of the lenses. Then someone told me: that was long before the internet...

Regards, David

PS In pre-internet what they told you was usually true, unlike nowadays.
Please don't forget the often overlooked uncle "G Zuiko" !

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3693
ravilamir

Quote:

The repair manual mentions 5 types. Some are minor differences in bolts and bobs. Others are design or coating differences.
http://olympus.dementix.org/Hardware/PDFs/50mm_f1.8.pdf

There is a list of coatings for many lens and their serial number.
Some early 50/1.8 are referred as SC: http://olympus.dementix.org/Hardware...nsCoatings.txt
Olympus OM-1 MD, OM-1N, OM-2N, OM-4, OM10
A bunch of Nikons

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3694
Trius
Waiting on Maitani

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravilamir View Post
There is a list of coatings for many lens and their serial number.
Some early 50/1.8 are referred as SC: http://olympus.dementix.org/Hardware...nsCoatings.txt
I'm not sure that is authoritative - it appears to be a list of lenses with serial numbers and observations by owners. I'm not disputing it, but when I see SC listed and the coating characteristics having more than one colour (e.g., "purple, yellow") I have doubts.

Maybe John Hermanson can provide some insight.