Epson 4870 compared to Scan elite II
Old 06-16-2005   #1
Nick R.
Milk and Strawberries

Epson 4870 compared to Scan elite II

Thought I might compare some photos while I have both scanners.

Here's the same negative scanned with Minolta scan elite II dedicated film scanner and from an Epson 4870 flat bed type. The epson did better than I thought but as you can see some of the surface texture and contrast is lost. However, I wonder how much of this is due to the crummy epson film holder. (I matched the scans the best I could. They're not exactly the same but represent the original tifs pretty closely).

Old 06-16-2005   #2
Jan Cornelius

ahhhh I forgot the name, but theres a guy/company in the US who sells 4870 filmholders for 120 and 135 format with glass frames (special glass, I forgot that name too) this keeüsthe negatives absolutely flat and produces great images ... I'm sure if you google this you'll come up with the name ... It's about $40 a set and well worth it

Old 06-16-2005   #3
Nick R.
Milk and Strawberries

There's Doug's
MF film holder
which I'm going to order. But it's only for medium format. For now, I have the two scanners, but it's not practical. I'm going to try mounting the neg's in 35mm slide holders as someone suggested on these boards a while back.