Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > RFF Polls

View Poll Results: Film: Color or B & W or Both?
B & W only 96 12.94%
Color only 77 10.38%
Both (both loaded) 224 30.19%
Both (B & W loaded. Color on standby) 94 12.67%
Both (Color loaded. B & W on standby) 57 7.68%
B & W film and color digital 168 22.64%
Color film and B & W digital 3 0.40%
What film? I am all digital 23 3.10%
Voters: 742. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-26-2013   #121
noisycheese
Normal(ish) Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tijmendal View Post
Good to see this thread for my upcoming around the world trip (next year). I'm already thinking about how I want to do it photography wise. The only thing that's sure I want to photograph - a lot. I have never travelled with film before (except when I lived overseas and had to take my film back home) so don't know how cumbersome it is. Of course I love film, but it seems like it could be quite the hassle. And then there's of course the question which film to bring, which is even harder. Also on the fence about what camera setup to bring. Aaaargh. The choices.
Right now I'm thinking B&W on film and digital color.
Traveling with film needn't be cumbersome - my system is to take the film rolls out of the boxes and the plastic canisters and put them in ziploc freezer bags, one type of film per bag. This will reduce the volume of the film significantly - by 35-40%, I would estimate. Boxes and the plastic canisters are not truly needed and take up a lot of room in your camera bag or luggage. As I use the rolls of film, they are numbered and go into an empty ziploc freezer bag. I keep a very basic logbook - just date, location and subject in a few words (the less time I spend writing, the more time I have to make images).

Since I shoot film, there is no need to lug around a laptop and external hard drive for backup. The space that a typical laptop takes up in your luggage is easily equal to 100+ rolls of film without the boxes and plastic canisters - and the film is significantly lighter in weight. With my film cameras, I have no backup batteries and chargers to carry, either. There are no endless hours of working on the computer every night after photographing all day, as digital shooters are burdened with.

These are some of the conveniences and strengths of film based travel photography that digital aficionados seem to discredit or ignore...

Old 09-01-2013   #122
Jani_from_Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisycheese View Post
Traveling with film needn't be cumbersome - my system is to take the film rolls out of the boxes and the plastic canisters and put them in ziploc freezer bags, one type of film per bag. This will reduce the volume of the film significantly - by 35-40%, I would estimate. Boxes and the plastic canisters are not truly needed and take up a lot of room in your camera bag or luggage. As I use the rolls of film, they are numbered and go into an empty ziploc freezer bag. I keep a very basic logbook - just date, location and subject in a few words (the less time I spend writing, the more time I have to make images).

Since I shoot film, there is no need to lug around a laptop and external hard drive for backup. The space that a typical laptop takes up in your luggage is easily equal to 100+ rolls of film without the boxes and plastic canisters - and the film is significantly lighter in weight. With my film cameras, I have no backup batteries and chargers to carry, either. There are no endless hours of working on the computer every night after photographing all day, as digital shooters are burdened with.

These are some of the conveniences and strengths of film based travel photography that digital aficionados seem to discredit or ignore...
In my previous profession when needed to travel quite light and without too much excess gear i got tired of hauling all the digital gear around, so for me one or two film cameras and use of same film, mostly bw 400 speed and a set of batteries is the most versatile set for me and for casual surfing and reading mail or needing banking services i just have my phone or Wifi-tablet. So i prefer bw-film for easyness and lightweight in carrying around. Usually i have a rf or slr/tlr and a 35mm ps (contax T3 or Yashica T5, both with superb lens and great af) and depending on width of the stay/travel i choose a proper amount of film, have never really ran out of film and i always change fresh batteries before a longer trip on all cameras. The zip-plastic bags is a must for film rolls on a trip. I have even one 35mm metaltank and the possibility to develop small amount of film during travel is possible, none of this takes up a lot space.

Old 09-01-2013   #123
Mcary

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisycheese View Post
There are no endless hours of working on the computer every night after photographing all day, as digital shooters are burdened with.

So tell me what kind of trouble will I get in if I decided to just bring a lots of memory cards rather then a laptop and back up drives when traveling and leave the editing until I get home?

Will my images some how fade away off my memory cards if I don't down load them to a laptop and external HD every night?
Not work safe

Old 09-01-2013   #124
raid
Dad Photographer

I took with me ten memory cards and no laptop. It went well. I changed cards every 1-2 days.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 11-24-2013   #125
SayCheese

I just finished developing, editing and scanning 8 rolls of TriX from a family trip to Sicily. So I voted B/W only. Its been a bit tough because black and white is so hard to learn. Despite some technical issues I'm fairly satisfied with at least some of the exposures, but the family complained them being exclusively b/w .

Regards, Klaus

Old 11-24-2013   #126
dmc
Bessa Driver

I have to smile. Here we have a clear question regarding film and we get discussions about memory cards! I can only shake my head . . .

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

“For me, the camera is a sketch book, an instrument of intuition and spontaneity.”
― Henri Cartier-Bresson

Old 11-24-2013   #127
Erik van Straten

Tmax400.

Erik.

Old 11-25-2013   #128
3rdtrick

I have to admit, most of my photography including travel is all digital. I do use Polaroid (Fuji) instant film because I like to give away the prints to family, friends and even strangers. I always take my Polaroids when I travel and usually have one camera for B&W and one for Color. The instant prints are a big hit.
Pete

Old 11-27-2013   #129
Finglas

Colour only, but that includes Slides as well as Colour Negatives.

Old 11-27-2013   #130
Takkun

BW film, X100 for color, though I have JPG+Raw set to give me BW JPGs and preview. Like others said, I just think in BW.

I used to shoot a lot more E6 but I don't want to worry about exposure latitude and haven't gotten scans that even remotely resemble the slides.

I also, int the past, did what others said about having multiple bodies for different film stock, but I'm lazy and like to pack light these days.
find me on Flickr or tumblr.

Old 12-16-2013   #131
Lauffray
Invisible Cities

For me it really depends on where I'm going, I don't have a prepared recipe for what to shoot. If the place lends itself to colour (ie Mexico, California) I bring colour, otherwise it's B&W, but most of the time it ends up being B&W

WebsiteFlickrInsta

Old 12-26-2013   #132
BlackXList

I usually like to shoot both, but I'm about to head off with only colour film, (because I feel the camera I'm taking favours colour in terms of rendering).

I'm also taking a digital, and maybe some of the shots from either may end up in B/W but this time out they'll all be taken in colour.

Old 12-26-2013   #133
Vince Lupo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmc View Post
I have to smile. Here we have a clear question regarding film and we get discussions about memory cards! I can only shake my head . . .
Not if you have a Monochrom

Old 02-05-2014   #134
folville

Used to be that I would head out the door with a bag half-stuffed with travel provisions like clothes and half-stuffed with photo gear and film, all of it b/w. But After living and shooting enough in the Middle East, I've come to appreciate color so much more, and space, composition, tonality, and timing be damned, I just can't deny that color is so much easier on the eyes, even when the subject is something ugly. Now, b/w stays in the bag for emergencies, low light, or if I'm metering by guesswork (M3).

Old 02-25-2014   #135
mllanos1111

I was recently in Rome, Florence, Dublin and Amsterdam. I brought mostly B&W film Efke 25 and Tri-X but I did have some color just in case that I didn't use. I shot all my color with my X-Pro1.

Old 02-26-2014   #136
seascribe

Digital only...Leica M-Monochrom 98% and X100 (color) 2%.

Old 03-06-2014   #137
robert blu
quiet photographer

I'm not able to shoot with success B&W and color in the same time, in the same travel. I tried in the past and always ending to miss some color shots which I had in B&W to complete a story, as emergency from color you can make a B&W.
Therefore I decide prior to leave and depending on where I'll go. It's useful in my case that most of time my wife is with me carrying her DSLR !
For nest trip to NYC I decided only B&W 120 film, but the main purpose of the journey is not taking photo: it's only that we never manage to travel without a camera!
robert

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 03-06-2014   #138
kshapero
Rangefinder Finder

Leaving for a tour of Israel in a couple of weeks. Taking iPhone for digital color and Leica M3 with CV 50/1.5 type II and Tri-X for film.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Old 03-06-2014   #139
Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert blu View Post
I'm not able to shoot with success B&W and color in the same time, in the same travel. I tried in the past and always ending to miss some color shots which I had in B&W to complete a story, as emergency from color you can make a B&W.
robert
Yes, I have the same "problem" as you... I think it's a matter of mindset, it's either gearing up to see color picture opportunities or black&white opportunities. Perhaps others can watch for both at once.

Old 03-07-2014   #140
Ronny

B&W: Leica M2
Col: iPhone5

Old 03-07-2014   #141
djhurley92

Black and white seems for flexible for travelling; I just carry a load of HP5 and push or pull process if conditions change drastically.

Old 04-27-2014   #142
redhawk

I usually have both Ms with me wherever I go whether it's locally or abroad. M3 is always B&W and the M6 usually has color, positive or negative. If I have to travel really light I'll pick one for what I think I'll encounter or as the mood strikes me.
50/1.4 ASPH / 50/1.5 / 50/2 Rigid

Rollei 35 SE Black / Fuji X100S / Sony NEX-5
Nikon F, F FTn, F2 Titan, F4s / Olympus OM
Bronica SQ-Ai AE / Mamiya 7II

Old 03-06-2015   #143
bastian a.

I always decide at home if I take colour or b&w ... it depends on where I travel to.

Old 03-06-2015   #144
Robin P

I'm all digital now but not long ago I would shoot colour digital and B&W film on holiday - it's the B&W pics that I remember and revisit from time to time :-)

Old 09-14-2015   #145
Ronald M

My Leica digital does both in same camera same time. Nikons do the same

Old 09-14-2015   #146
Moto-Uno
Moto-Uno

Any time my wife and I travel to Oaxaca ( Mexico ) it's always transparencies that are
loaded and a couple of B&W rolls in the bag. Way too colourful for just B&W. Peter

Old 09-14-2015   #147
narsuitus

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixbones View Post
What films do you bring when you travel?
I shoot film and digital, color and black & white, stills and video.

I consider myself traveling whenever I leave the house, office, or studio.

When I travel, I carry whatever I need to complete the assignment.

There are times when I shoot a wedding and carry 35mm portrait film as a backup to digital.

There are times when I shoot wedding candids with digital and wedding group portraits with 6x9cm color roll film.

There are times when I shoot landscapes with medium format color roll film and shoot digital test shots.

There are times when I shoot large format black & white sheet film and shoot digital test shots.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8617/...fbdbf1ee_c.jpg
Film Simulation by Narsuitus, on Flickr
Attached Images
File Type: jpg X-Pro1 c sml.jpg (33.9 KB, 7 views)

Old 09-15-2015   #148
grouchos_tash

I stress myself about this decision every time I go on holiday and every time I get back I wish I hadn't bothered with colour. When will I learn my lesson?!

Last trip to Itally I took my M6 with Tmax100, Portra 160 and Ektar.

Old 09-17-2015   #149
danwilly

I bring my two Bessa R's, one with wide angle and the other with 50 mm lense, loaded with black and white. I use a point and shoot digital for color and snapshots. Going to St. Genevieve, MO next month and plenty of antebellum architecture to shoot.

Old 09-28-2015   #150
mike rosenlof
Insufficient information

BW film only, but if I'm traveling with my wife, she'll have color digital that I can borrow if I need to. I do better to keep my head in one direction. That color stuff is hard.

Old 09-28-2015   #151
JChrome
Street Worker

I shoot my 120 cameras when I travel and its always color.

I stocked up on Portra 160 and 400 and that stock is waning down. I recently acquired lots of Provia 100F and am excited to use it.

I shot Thailand with Provia 100F years ago and just loved it :-).

Old 09-28-2015   #152
FrankS

When I first voted in 2009, it was both in film. Now it's digital colour and B+W film.

photography makes me happy

Old 10-05-2015   #153
fixbones
.......sometimes i thinks

Wow, can't believe I started this thread 6 years ago and it is still going!
Many things have changed and I have taken a hiatus from film photography and photography in general.
Making my way back again and I am restructuring my collection of great cameras and lenses.
Will most likely end up doing colour film and digital colour and B/W.
Time will tell

Old 10-05-2015   #154
bsdunek
Old Guy with a Corgi

I generally take two Nikon F/FTN's when I travel. Use one for color and the other for B&W. Just like to be covered.

My Gallery
Bruce
Don't take my Kodachrome away!
OOOPS! Kodak did!!!

Old 10-05-2015   #155
Pioneer

It kind of depends on where I happen to be going.

If I am headed up the side of the mountain to Machu Picchu I am less concerned with color so I am pulling the black and white out.

If I am headed to Pella, Iowa to photography the tulips I am bringing the Provia and Velvia and hoping for gorgeous blue skies with puffy white clouds.

Most of the time I carry both. Color negative or slide film for the Rolleiflex and black and white in the M-A or LX.

"My 2nd 10,000 Are Not A Lot Better"
Dan