Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Canon Leica Screw Mount Film Rangefinders

Canon Leica Screw Mount Film Rangefinders For classic Leica Screw Mount Canon Rangefinders.

Ever seen a 50/1.2 with black aperture ring?
Old 08-07-2009   #1
kermaier

Ever seen a 50/1.2 with black aperture ring?

Mine, and every other I've every seen, has a chrome aperture ring, but here's one up for
auction with a Canon P body.

::Ari

Old 08-07-2009   #2
rogue_designer
Reciprocity Failure

whoa - that's cool looking.

---
My Flickr | StreetLevel Photography

Old 08-07-2009   #3
Rogrund
Antti Sivén

The all black 50/1.2's are mentioned in this thread.

My new RFF Gallery
My flickr

Old 08-07-2009   #4
Sonnar2

Looks better on, and was issued to, all black Canon cameras

Old 08-07-2009   #5
bennyng
Benny Ng

For those who look out for them, black lenses do pop up here and there. Cosmetic difference only, no optical improvement.

Here's another just ended two days ago.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Cheers,

Old 08-07-2009   #6
CanonRFinder

Canon issued three optional lenses in black for black bodied cameras. These were the 35mm f/1.8 (T1), 50mm f/1.2 (T1) and the 50mm f/1.8 (T5 & T6) and all were supplied with the camera if requested, as was the black meter for the VI-T, VI-L and P models. That was a nice VT de Luxe outfit with a black 50mm f/1.2 that Benny pointed out which was sold recently but the financial climate affected the price. I own a 1957-1960 salesperson catalogue with prices but it doesn't seem to distinguish between chrome outfits and black outfits but I am sure there was.

OK plug for book. I have pics of a black T1 50mm f/1.2 (pg80) and a T5 50mm f/1.8 (pg92) which are in my collection. One sees them pop up at the odd time on eBay but the 35mm is the rarest of the three. Peter

Old 08-08-2009   #7
CanonRFinder

Here are some pages from my 1957-60 sales catalogue that I thought may be of interest. Peter

#1 Black VI-L sales book page.jpg

#1 Black VI-T sales book page.jpg

Old 08-08-2009   #8
Sonnar2

Hi Peter, the catalogue pages confirm my suggestion that the black 50/1.2 was most often delivered with black VT's. (Amusing that they even copied Leica style ordering codewords)
With your statement about all black 35/1.8 : are there any other with "more black" than the regular 35/1.8?

Old 08-08-2009   #9
bennyng
Benny Ng

Hmm... the black meter comes with matching black incident light attachment. That's interesting. I seem to be missing that. Crap!

Cheers,

Old 08-11-2009   #10
CanonRFinder

Some more pages from my sales catalogue showing the black VTD and L1. The L1 was the first of the Canon back loaders to be sold as "Black" cameras. I have recorded three bottom loader IVSB cameras, which were specially coated BLACK by Canon, as gifts to VIP. When I was reading the blurp on the back page (pictured here) I noticed that the 50mm f/1.8 lens was not even mentioned which indicates to me that this lens was introduced later on. The first recorded BLACK 50mm f/1.8 is a T5 lens #239432, which is towards the end of the T5 production (4/56-4/59). This would tie in why it is not mentioned in the 1957 sales page. Something I learnt after the book had gone to proof print was that during production of the T5 lens Canon changed it from 13 blades to 11 blades. Early T5 lenses had 13 blades while later lenses have 11 blades. The later T6 lens has eight blades. Normally when I was writing my book I would I would have called the "11" bladed versions a new TYPE but it was too late and could only placed a note in the "aperture row". The earliest 11 bladed lens I have on record is #215665. If anyone has a lens/es between #201132 (13 blades) and #215665 (11 blades) then let me know what the # of blades your lenses have.

The only difference between a normal 35mm f/1.8 lens and a black 35mm f/1.8 lens is the distance scale ring is black. Check out the 35mm f/1.8 lens on the L1. Peter

#3 Black VTD & L1 sales book page copy.jpg #4 Black VTD & L1 sales book page copy.jpg