Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > 35mm Film Range Finders > Fixed Lens RF

Fixed Lens RF This forum is dedicated to the numerous and popular fixed lens rangefinders, including but not limited to the Canon Canonets, Konica III and S series, Minoltas, Ricohs, Vivitars, and so many others. Note fixed lens Olympus , Yashicas, Argus and Retina have separate forums.

Minolta Hi-matic 11
Old 07-01-2009   #1
john341
camera user

Minolta Hi-matic 11

Just picked one of these Super 3 Circuit cameras and it is in remarkable condition..the f1.7 lens hasn't a mark on it, and on replacing the mercury battery with a 1.5v alkaline, everything works! I am looking forward to seeing some negs tomorrow..does anyone have any experience with this little beauty?

Old 07-01-2009   #2
zuikologist

The early Himatics have an excellent reputation for image quality. Let's see some photos from this camera.

Old 07-02-2009   #3
Brian Sweeney

The lens is the same as on my Hi-Matic 9. It is tack-sharp, every bit as good as the Konica S2.

And my camera still works perfectly after 40 years of owning it.

Old 07-02-2009   #4
camera.bear

Like Brian, I have the Hi-Matic 9 and the lens is really nice. These early Hi-Matics (7, 7s, 9 and 11) are great cameras that produce wonderful images. Enjoy.

First negs with Himatic 11
Old 07-02-2009   #5
john341
camera user

First negs with Himatic 11

Processed my first shots taken on Ilford SFX with a red filter. I am quite happy with the results. But flare! was frequently seen as one or two lunar crescents, probably from the silver lens barrel..must use the lens hood that came with it (it was there for a reason). Exposure meter seems right on so I am very happy with it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0032.jpg (47.8 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0033.jpg (41.0 KB, 89 views)

Old 07-03-2009   #6
Windscale

My Himatic 7SII is the only Japanese RF I keep, the rest are all German. The Japanese RFs I got rid of included a Konica S2, a Minolta 7S, an Olympus RD and an Olympus SP.

Old 10-12-2009   #7
burple

Hi, I know this thread's a few months old, but I love my Hi-Matic 11 and thought I would share...

The 11 is my favorite full-size Hi-Matic for people pics outside. The shutter-priority metering system is dead-accurate after 40 years.

The big drawback of this camera of course is the lack of an aperture ring, which complicates bounce flash indoors a bit. What I do is, I put my flash on manual so I know the guide number. Then I lie to the Easyflash system on the camera to compensate for the bounce. For example, if my flash has a GN of 180, I'll set the GN on the camera to 90 in most situations. I've had good results with this method.

Anyway, here's a recent pic that shows off this camera's tack-sharp lens and color rendition...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01_downsized.jpg (95.0 KB, 95 views)