Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Digital Cameras > Micro 4/3 Cameras Olympus Panasonic

Micro 4/3 Cameras Olympus Panasonic This forum is for all Micro 4/3 cameras of any camera make.

Old 05-30-2009   #41
PhotoMat

Quote:
Originally Posted by aizan View Post
what are they going to call it? "olympus pen d" is already taken.
I hope it doesn't have image stabilization. I don't think PenIS would be a smart marketing move.

Old 05-30-2009   #42
Leigh Youdale

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanOnRoute66 View Post
Wow, unless you guys have some inside information about Olympus that isn't evident on the Pen 50th anniversary celebration link, I
The suggestion that there's more to come implies, to me, anyway, that there's going to be more information on PAST Pen cameras.
You could well be right. No, we don't have anything more than a couple of obscure and enigmatic comments (in Japanese). So we could all be having a great time building something in our minds that doesn't exist, and we'll end up having our self-created expectations disappointed.
Anyway, not long to wait, either way. We'll either be excited, dismayed or full of advice for Olympus as to what an opportunity they missed and what they should have done instead.

Fuji X10
Leica M6
Bessa R4A
Rolleiflex (3): E3 Planar 2.8, WA & Tele
Nikkormat FTn (2)

Old 05-30-2009   #43
Al Patterson
Ferroequinologist

It would be nice if they could come up with something as innovative as the PEN. We'll know in a few weeks.

Canon QL17 GIII
Leica CL 40mm Summicron-C 50mm Hexanon
Yashica Electro 35 GSN

Old 05-30-2009   #44
lemalk
Rebel Without a ...Pause

Wow. A lot of bashing. Oly, Apple, FourThirds, Leica...

As many others have stated (and I'm glad there's some defense of the E system), I think the new Digital Pen (or whatever it's called) shows a LOT of promise. I'm holding off on a D-Lux 4 purchase to see whether this new camera fits the bill.

On a completely superficial level, the design intrigues me - anything without a mirror hump is a step forward.
I just hope, as Steve Jobs says, Olympus doesn't snatch defeat from the jaws of victory by neutering the camera's design or functionality from the prototype that's been shown.

"To me, jazz is the closest thing to insanity that there is in music." - David Lynch

Old 05-30-2009   #45
gavinlg

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankS View Post
I wonder if this new Olympus Pen will have Image Stabilization?

Yes, it will, as said by olympus in numerous interviews. I'm not sure why you'd think thats a bad thing either - it'll have it built into the sensor, meaning you get about 2-3 stops of handholding ability from every lens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeV View Post
And the 110 film format is 17mm x 13mm, with one sprocket hole, just to set the record straight. So 4/3 and m4/3 is very close to 110 format in size.

~Joe
Who cares? 4/3rds can hold its own with full sized 35mm sensors, let alone APS-c sensors from Canon and Nikon and Pentax which are only a tiny % bigger than it. Refer to the picture I posted on the last page - ISO 1250 pushed to 2000 and it's clean and sharp. The "small sensor" comments are vague and generally made by people without any experience in the system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzeeman View Post
if you are happy with iphone photo quality - that clearly shows that apple's brainwashing machine still works good. they make high-priced garbage that all other companies have by much smaller prices, they have services thousands of miles away, they take you great money for products and for every repair - and because of that people think that that is some great elite company.
i hope you realize that there are tons of products for asian market which you never see on west - and a lot of them are very much ahead of apples products.
and yes - as someone else stated - samsung is korean...
He never said he thought the camera was good quality, he was talking about the interface, and I agree with him. Apple knows how to make an interface - the iphone is nothing short of brilliant. Not that it's relevant to this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bellayr View Post
Other than the outward appearance/style how would this camera be any different than a number of retro digitals? Rolleiflex did one which did not get rave reviews.
There's a huge difference - the m4/3rds camera will have a 4/3rds style sensor - the same used in Olympus DSLRs, which is considerably bigger (around 10 times bigger) then the sensor in any compact camera bar the sigma DPs, of which the sensor is similarly sized. All other compacts have sensors the size of a dust mite. This means DSLR quality in a tiny camera. Plus, it has interchangeable lenses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickett Wilson View Post
I think the market for all this stuff is really Japan, anything with the slightest hint of retro is a must have.
I don't think the camera is going to be "retro" in the same way that the new Nissan GTR isn't "retro" despite being a name and lineage dating back 50 years. It's going to be designed to sell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoMat View Post
I hope it doesn't have image stabilization. I don't think PenIS would be a smart marketing move.
It will according to Olympus, and I don't really understand why you wouldn't want it?

Quote:
Wow, unless you guys have some inside information about Olympus that isn't evident on the Pen 50th anniversary celebration link, I can't imagine how so many of you think that the very short video suggests there's going to be a digital Pen. The suggestion that there's more to come implies, to me, anyway, that there's going to be more information on PAST Pen cameras. And if they're talking about 50th anniversaries, they could string this campaign out for the next 10 years, as they plug the various full-frame Pens and then the half-frame SLRs on or near their respective 50th anniversary release dates.

My sense of Olympus is that, while the company over all is doing well, the camera division is in a lot of trouble. Whether the camera division even remains viable may depend on whether Olympus is acquired by some bigger company that's ready to invest a lot of money into the photography division.
People have been saying olympus is in trouble for years - they're a smaller camera company that march to the beat of a different drum than nikon and canon. They're much MUCH bigger than leica for instance, and their main specialty is actually in medical/optical, which is a large portion of the company and does very well. Their 4/3rds e-system also does quite well.

Olympus themselves have said "june 15th" will be the date for the new micro 4/3rds.

sources:
http://translate.google.com/translat...istory_state0=

http://www.engadget.com/2009/05/15/o...ch-early-july/

Last edited by gavinlg : 05-30-2009 at 15:10.

Old 05-30-2009   #46
gavinlg

For those that are still doubting that this is coming from Olympus, here you go:

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...fourthirds.asp

Old 05-30-2009   #47
gavinlg

And here is a summary of what's expected so far:

Olympus Micro Four Thirds camera
12 megapixel
video
no built in flash
3.0 LCD screen
900$ -999$ with kit lens
a second more advanced/featured camera released end of the year
14-42 kit lens
17 2.8 lens
no EVF
beige and black
mid-June announcement and second half of July availability

If you want to follow the internet rumors for this camera, have a look at this site - http://43rumors.com/
They rightly predicted the recent e-450 weeks before it was announced, so they have a somewhat proven track record.

Last edited by gavinlg : 05-30-2009 at 15:06.

Old 05-30-2009   #48
rover

Nothing there to excite me. Just another tool to do the same thing. I don't need another camera system, and for that price it is way out of what I would be willing to pay for a P&S. Add the lack of a wide fast lens, I will be better served with an LX3 and maybe pick up a Pentax K7 as an upgrade from my K10d. I won't be buying anything before it is formally announced, but unless it is really tiny, it won't find it's way into my possession.

Millennium M6TTL with Voigtlander 35/1.2 Nokton

rover's world at flickr

Old 05-30-2009   #49
PhotoMat

fdigital:

Reread my post. Carefully.

Old 05-30-2009   #50
Pickett Wilson

These threads are always fun!

We're all kind of hopeless. The "next" new camera will be the one that will complete us, finally reveal our talent, fit in our pocket, make grainless 16x20's at ISO 12,000. Our photos of the kids, and strangers on the street, will set the art world on edge with this miraculous tool. And I don't currently own a single camera that isn't capable of producing photos far beyond my abilities and the abilities of most other photographers.

Sure is fun to buy new toys, though.

Old 05-30-2009   #51
gavinlg

Quote:
fdigital:

Reread my post. Carefully.
whoops, I didn't see the humor on first glance - well done!

Old 05-30-2009   #52
historicist

I agree with you about the current designs, but neither the F3 nor the F4 were good examples of interface design - the F3 with a shutter speed display that can only be seen in sunlight or managing to find and press a tiny tiny button located in an awkward place without moving your eye from the finder. And the F4 pretty much had a physical control for every feature.

The Canon T90 I think is the best example of a totally new interface design which allowed both an increase in camera features and a simple control system, it's quite apple like.

Old 05-30-2009   #53
aizan

do they mean the camera will be beige and black, or that there will be a beige version and a black version?

Old 05-30-2009   #54
ishpop
tall person

More than anything I am excited to have a small-ish camera that can take any type of lense via adapter and (hopefully) have a nicer form factor than the G1 which bores me.

I probably will not be putting my digital zuiko lenses on it though, would be a mismatch, heh.
Minolta CLE, Minolta Auto S3, Rolleiflex 3.5f, Fuji 6x9 Texas Leica, Hasselblad 501c, Rolleiflex Automat, Yashica 635, Oly OM1, Leica Minilux, Contax T2, Polaroid SL680, Holga, Olympus E1, Canon 5DMKII

http://scotteverett.tumblr.com/

Old 05-30-2009   #55
Terao
Kiloran

Quote:
Oh I don't know - for some a camera compensates for inadequacies in that area. BCSD applies to equally to cameras as it does to cars, those big zooms always attract the ladies

Bodies:
Nikon D700
Lenses: Nikon 50mm f/1.2 AIS, Nikon 85mm f/1.4

My Flickr gallery

Old 05-30-2009   #56
back alley
IMAGES

it's not really official, is it?

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Old 05-31-2009   #57
gavinlg

not until they announce it, which is what everyone is waiting for. No one knows what it's going to look like or even final specs. pretty exciting!

Old 05-31-2009   #58
Kent
Finally at home...

Quote:
Muuaahhaahaaahaaa! ROFL! That's a good one!
Main Lenses: Nikkor, Leica, Fuji, Voigtländer, Sigma, Pentax, Tamron, Samyang etc.
Click me...

Old 05-31-2009   #59
reuno
Log out, go shoot.

Quote:

It would make sense !

Old 05-31-2009   #60
Avotius
Some guy

Quote:

if it doesnt I wont even bother, with today's technology the only reason not to have IS is laziness or stubbornness. Cough cough Canon and Nikon.

Old 05-31-2009   #61
morgan

The color rumors over on www.43rumors.com seem to confirm that there will be two models - each has a silver top section, but then either black or beige below. But who knows.

I'm also waiting to buy either an lx3 (or dlux 4) to see what the deal is with this...

RFF gallery
My flickr

Old 05-31-2009   #62
reuno
Log out, go shoot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avotius View Post
if it doesnt I wont even bother, with today's technology the only reason not to have IS is laziness or stubbornness. Cough cough Canon and Nikon.
That's because Canon 5dIS or Nikon D300is doesn't sounds as good as Olympus PENIS

Old 05-31-2009   #63
johnastovall
Light Hunter - RIP 2010

The real question is which PEN? For me any thing with a hump and not having the smooth lines of the PEN F will be DOA. Real analog style controls would be nice, lose the menus.

Old 05-31-2009   #64
scho

Something along these lines with an EVF instead of the RF might be nice.

Old 05-31-2009   #65
Avotius
Some guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuno View Post
That's because Canon 5dIS or Nikon D300is doesn't sounds as good as Olympus PENIS

haaaaaaaahahaha....that is so true. Olympus Penis with big zoom lens, how very manly like a big red sports car.

GH1 on hold...
Old 05-31-2009   #66
john_ela

GH1 on hold...

Quote:
Originally Posted by majid View Post
Except the Pen was a half-frame camera. Four-thirds (and M4/3) is really quarter-frame, i.e. 110 film equivalent, with all the professional quality we've come to expect from 110 film...

It's doubtful it can compete with the Sigma DP2 or the future Samsung APS-C compact on image quality, specially in low-light.
I'm really excited about this camera and have put my GH1 purchase on hold until more details surface. Interesting to see Oly time this just as the GH1 gets released.

Majid - In a post a few weeks ago you seemed quite upbeat about the Oly (pasted below). Wondering why you see things different now?

Quote:
I would suggest you wait another month for the reviews of the DP2 to come out, and also Olympus to annonce its new compact micro four thirds body on June 15.

Old 05-31-2009   #67
mabelsound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avotius View Post
Another reason i like Pentax. They have a lot of respect for users of legacy lenses, whereas I feel as though Nikon and especially canon, though they make superb products, are eager to get you to pay more money for in-lens stabilization, rather than letting you buy the stabilization once and use it for every lens. And lo and behold, Pentax's investment in in-body stabilization is resulting in creative adjustments (like in-camera image leveling) using the moving sensor they designed for IS--stuff that the major manufacturers don't, and in fact can't, have.

It would be a shame not to put IS into this new Oly! But either way, i think my only camera purchase this year will be the K-7.

Old 05-31-2009   #68
jonmanjiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabelsound View Post
Another reason i like Pentax. They have a lot of respect for users of legacy lenses, whereas I feel as though Nikon and especially canon, though they make superb products, are eager to get you to pay more money for in-lens stabilization, rather than letting you buy the stabilization once and use it for every lens.
There are two major advantages of in-lens stabilization over in-camera stabilization. Both Nikon and Canon know this.

Firstly, in-lens stabilization gives you an approximately two stop advantage over in-camera stabilization.

Secondly, you can confirm the effect of the stabilization control through the optical finder.

Old 05-31-2009   #69
mabelsound

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmanjiro View Post
There are two major advantages of in-lens stabilization over in-camera stabilization. Both Nikon and Canon know this.

Firstly, in-lens stabilization gives you an approximately two stop advantage over in-camera stabilization.

Secondly, you can confirm the effect of the stabilization control through the optical finder.
Well, the second is certainly true, but not having that option is really of no concern to me. I understand why some people would be bothered by it, though.

But the first is really dependent upon the specific technology, which is subject to improvement and innovation. Anyway, Pentax's current in body IS is good enough for me.

Old 05-31-2009   #70
gavinlg

Quote:
I thought you were talking about something new. This was announced months ago.
It hadn't come out yet, it was announced a year ago by olympus. But I don't see how something that hasn't come out yet can be old news.

I'm sensing a lot of strange negativity towards this camera on this forum, I really thought it would be the opposite. So far Olympus is the ONLY company that's given notice or hinted at the development of a small, light, interchangeable lens camera with a DSLR sized sensor, which is what I thought everyone wanted?
You can't exactly just immediately disregard it or try to flame it - it isn't even out yet!

This camera has had at least a years worth of anticipation since announced. There will be nothing else like it on the market when it comes.
Even if it doesn't have IS (which it will - olympus has said so), doesn't have an optical VF (highly doubt it will), doesn't have an apple interface, doesn't come in black, doesn't have a little flower pot where you can stick your favorite flowers so everytime you lift it to you face you can smell daisies I'll still be buying it.
Why?
Because at the moment (and when it arrives very soon) there will be nothing like it. The Canon G10 has a sensor that is near microscopic in comparison, the Panasonic LX3 and Ricoh GRD/gx100 are just as bad, the sigma DP1/DP2 has a weird foveon sensor and underdeveloped interface/AF that I don't want to have to rely on for work, not to mention NONE of the above have interchangeable lenses.

Details details, the concept of the camera remains - a big sensor and interchangeable lenses in a compact camera. If the first one doesn't meet everyones exacting requirements chances are down the line there will be one that comes pretty close. Its the concept - the baselines on which the camera is developed that is so exciting.

Last edited by gavinlg : 05-31-2009 at 08:16.

Old 05-31-2009   #71
aizan

if the cover plates are chrome, it must be the body covering that's black or beige. that makes more sense to me.

Old 05-31-2009   #72
Socke

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabelsound View Post
Another reason i like Pentax. They have a lot of respect for users of legacy lenses, whereas I feel as though Nikon and especially canon, though they make superb products, are eager to get you to pay more money for in-lens stabilization, rather than letting you buy the stabilization once and use it for every lens.
Hm, I like in lens stabilisation with an optical viewfinder. IMHO framing is not easy with a 300/2.8 when the viewfinder is bouncing all around, even on a monopod which is very useful with such a heavy lens, IS or not.

For short lenses, say up to 85 or 135mm, I never felt the need for stabilisation.

4/3rd sensor size virtually identical to 110 and 1/2 frame.
Old 05-31-2009   #73
kuzano

4/3rd sensor size virtually identical to 110 and 1/2 frame.

Quote:
Except the Pen was a half-frame camera. Four-thirds (and M4/3) is really quarter-frame, i.e. 110 film equivalent, with all the professional quality we've come to expect from 110 film...

It's doubtful it can compete with the Sigma DP2 or the future Samsung APS-C compact on image quality, specially in low-light.
It will likely kick the Sigma DP2 butt. It will have the same sensor and technical specs as the Panasonic counterpart... The G1. I expect it will also hold it's own against the Sigma APC. The Panasonic G1 is certainly surpassing the DP2 and will do well against the Samsung.

To reiterate, the size of the 4/3 and micro 4/3rd sensors are the same size for both Oly and Panasonic, and within a millimeter one way or the other of half frame and 110 film.

The new Oly will NOT be just another small sensor camera.

Thank You Gavin!!!
Old 05-31-2009   #74
kuzano

Thank You Gavin!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdigital View Post
It hadn't come out yet, it was announced a year ago by olympus. But I don't see how something that hasn't come out yet can be old news.

I'm sensing a lot of strange negativity towards this camera on this forum, I really thought it would be the opposite. So far Olympus is the ONLY company that's given notice or hinted at the development of a small, light, interchangeable lens camera with a DSLR sized sensor, which is what I thought everyone wanted?
You can't exactly just immediately disregard it or try to flame it - it isn't even out yet!

This camera has had at least a years worth of anticipation since announced. There will be nothing else like it on the market when it comes.
Even if it doesn't have IS (which it will - olympus has said so), doesn't have an optical VF (highly doubt it will), doesn't have an apple interface, doesn't come in black, doesn't have a little flower pot where you can stick your favorite flowers so everytime you lift it to you face you can smell daisies I'll still be buying it.
Why?
Because at the moment (and when it arrives very soon) there will be nothing like it. The Canon G10 has a sensor that is near microscopic in comparison, the Panasonic LX3 and Ricoh GRD/gx100 are just as bad, the sigma DP1/DP2 has a weird foveon sensor and underdeveloped interface/AF that I don't want to have to rely on for work, not to mention NONE of the above have interchangeable lenses.

Details details, the concept of the camera remains - a big sensor and interchangeable lenses in a compact camera. If the first one doesn't meet everyones exacting requirements chances are down the line there will be one that comes pretty close. Its the concept - the baselines on which the camera is developed that is so exciting.
Gavins post is well written with factual information. It deserves a re-read. I agree with Gavin about the animosity, IN THIS FORUM, toward this new Micro 4/3rd camera and against 4/3rds in general.

This is the PENultimate bridge camera from Point and Shoot to a decent sensor size AND lens interchangability and is a first in the market in terms of the G1 and now in a compact camera.

Olympus continues to prove it's history for innovation and survival skills.

And William... I would bet that you are actually a "closet" Olympus fan and have the money burning in your pocket for this new Olympus product. Your perpetual gruffness is a sham.

Old 05-31-2009   #75
john_ela

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuzano View Post
I agree with Gavin about the animosity, IN THIS FORUM, toward this new Micro 4/3rd camera and against 4/3rds in general.
Indeed - strange reaction to a company that is bringing something innovative to the market. Looking at comments from users like Majid, who in previous posts had a favorable reaction to the new Oly camera, it seems like many just need to justify ownership of their current equipment (Sigma DP2 in Majid's case) and want to be negative Nellies. Oh well, I've seen this so many times on other forums, just unfortunate in this case.

Old 05-31-2009   #76
back alley
IMAGES

change can be hard for the aged...

i like the m4/3 stuff and have the g1 plus kit lenses, i look forward to the 20/1.7 panasonic lens and i hope that the new oly will be even better.

i always think it's funny how folks can make such rigid comments about something that no one has seen yet.

and remember, be kind to the old folks...

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Old 06-02-2009   #77
morgan

Has there been a price announced for the pana 20/1.7? That would be a great general purpose speed/size lens...

RFF gallery
My flickr

Old 06-02-2009   #78
Thardy

I sense that many people have just moved on being excited about this camera. It has been a year since the promise of the Olympus, and people have already discussed, bought and sold the Panasonic G1 (which is similar in concept).

Stop the ads and just produce a camera already.

Flickr

Tumblr

Last edited by Thardy : 06-02-2009 at 06:17.

Old 06-02-2009   #79
xayraa33
rangefinder user and fancier

Heck, I am still waiting for the digital full frame Nikon SP

Old 06-03-2009   #80
Kevin
Rainbow Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thardy View Post
I sense that many people have just moved on being excited about this camera. It has been a year since the promise of the Olympus, and people have already discussed, bought and sold the Panasonic G1 (which is similar in concept).

Stop the ads and just produce a camera already.
+1

I agree that olympus should simply produce the camera and stop playing with our minds.

The negativity towards oly's m43 is not strange in any way -it is simply based on the poor DR and focusing of previous oly cameras and the horrid barrel distortion of their first pancake lens.

I am waiting for Samsung's offering to come later this year. It will have a much larger sensor.
Canonet QL17+QL19 Casio EX-P700 Contax G2+645AF Epson R-D1 Fuji GSW690+Natura Konica Hexar AF Leica M6+CM+Minilux Minolta CLE Mamiya 6+RZ67 Olympus E-410 Nikon D70 Sigma DP1 Voigtländer Bessa II Yashica Electro GSN

Leica 35mm 1.4 Summilux Aspherical + ASPH, 90mm 2.8 Tele-Elmarit VC 15mm 4.5 Heliar Asph, 28mm 1.9 Ultron Asph, 35mm 1.2 Nokton Asph, 40mm 1.4 Nokton SC, 50mm Nokton 1.5 Asph, 75mm 2.5 Heliar Contax G2 28mm 2.8 Biogon, 45mm 2.0 Planar, 90mm 2.8 Sonnar Minolta 40mm 2.0 Rokkor