Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Non Rangefinder Cameras > CSC : Digital Compact System Cameras - > Micro 4/3 Cameras

Micro 4/3 Cameras This forum is for all Micro 4/3 cameras of any camera make.

Old 05-30-2009   #26
gavinlg

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenInTime View Post
For normal 28mm....90mm lenses : direct OVF with projected lines as per Leica/Zeiss/Bessa (or EVF option) then EVF only for exotic focal lengths.
You think they're going to incorporate fixed focal length projected lines into the VF of a modern compact digital camera aimed at people who want DSLR quality in a smaller/easier to use package for under $1000? I understand why you want it - so do I, but I fear there is no chance of it happening.

Last edited by gavinlg : 05-30-2009 at 04:07.

Old 05-30-2009   #27
mabelsound
actually a dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avotius View Post
I had a look at olympus's e system stuff the other day....I sure hope to hell this new m4/3 whatever it will be called wont be priced like the e system stuff! Awfully expensive over on the e system side...but then again a lot of those interesting expensive lenses are a good stop faster then their nikon/canon equivalents
You know Colin, if you are looking seriously at system DSLR's, and if you like compactness, old glass, and affordable new lenses, you should really look into Pentax.

As for the new m4/3, I'm delighted they've chosen to connect it to the Pen line. An optical VF would be terrific, or an improved EVF, and classic styling.

Old 05-30-2009   #28
gavinlg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avotius View Post
I had a look at olympus's e system stuff the other day....I sure hope to hell this new m4/3 whatever it will be called wont be priced like the e system stuff! Awfully expensive over on the e system side...but then again a lot of those interesting expensive lenses are a good stop faster then their nikon/canon equivalents
The lenses are amazing. 14-35mm f2 + 35-100mm f2 are just phenominal.

Old 05-30-2009   #29
FrozenInTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdigital View Post
You think they're going to incorporate fixed focal length projected lines into the VF of a modern compact digital camera aimed at people who want DSLR quality in a smaller/easier to use package for under $1000? I understand why you want it - so do I, but I fear there is no chance of it happening.
Projected frame lines from a LCD would allow zoom and parallax correction.

With the potential of two models in the pipe line:
one is going to be disappointingly basic - probably only rear LCD (<E-620/G1 price bracket ?) ; the second has the potential to be very exciting ( E-30/GH1 price bracket ?)

Old 05-30-2009   #30
Bassism

For those wondering what the connection between the PEN shorts and the new m4/3rds camera, if you check the URL, it's listed under dslr. I think it's a safe bet that a new dslr would not be inspired by the PEN, which makes it seem to me likely that they're referring to the m4/3rds camera. It also seems to me promising that it is listed under dslr rather than point/shoot.

I'm excited to see what they come out with. In a market where every camera is essentially the same as every other camera and even new ground breaking designs are made to look like every other camera (see G1), a little bit of looking back might be a good breath of fresh air.

As long as Olympus are bold enough, and I feel like they probably are, at least moreso than Panasonic who are really lucky to be making cameras in the first place, I think this camera could start some real innovation in a stagnant market.

Old 05-30-2009   #31
antiquark
Derek Ross

Will the sensor be in portrait orientation (vertical) like the original pens?

Old 05-30-2009   #32
Leigh Youdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiquark View Post
Will the sensor be in portrait orientation (vertical) like the original pens?
I wouldn't think so. The 4/3rds sensor will fit within the dimensions of the half frame size but with conventional orientation. As someone pointed out, it's about 1/4 frame size.
I don't think the market would accept the portrait orientation.

Fuji X10
Leica M6
Bessa R4A
Rolleiflex (3): E3 Planar 2.8, WA & Tele
Nikkormat FTn (2)

Old 05-30-2009   #33
.ken
I like pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlewisiii View Post
I guess I'm not sure why this is a surprise... Oly has foundered over the past several decades and will be gone soon. This attempt to associate thier digital products with with one of their few past successes is only a simple desperate stab at survival. Pen & OM will soon be a simple memory, fading quickly...

Sorry,

William
Haven't you heard? The 4/3rds was dead when it launched. And Olympus doesn't even really exist.

Old 05-30-2009   #34
aizan

what are they going to call it? "olympus pen d" is already taken.

Old 05-30-2009   #35
scho

Quote:
Originally Posted by aizan View Post
I'm betting on Olympus Pen mFT

TheDailySnap

Old 05-30-2009   #36
FrankS

I wonder if this new Olympus Pen will have Image Stabilization?

Old 05-30-2009   #37
JoeV
Thin Air, Bright Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdigital View Post
Sigma DP1/DP2 sensor size: 20.7mm x 13.8mm
Olympus Four Thirds sensor size: 18mm 13.5mm
Pentax/Samsung APS-c sensor size: 23.4mm x 15.6mm
And the 110 film format is 17mm x 13mm, with one sprocket hole, just to set the record straight. So 4/3 and m4/3 is very close to 110 format in size.

~Joe

Inventor of the Light Pipe Array
My Blog
My latest book

Old 05-30-2009   #38
nzeeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalintrigue View Post
High priced garbage? That's one heck of a brainwashing campaign, maybe Leica should try it.
hahaha - you are right about that - but i think they already did they and made success.
i am sorry about making off topic post like this before - but i had to answer to ignorance...

to get back on topic - i think it will be great if olympus really make that digital pen - i always loved their design style - compact and yet look so durable... im not digital kind of guy - but i enjoy to see that some companies have courage to mae something that is not so mainstream.

Old 05-30-2009   #39
Steve Bellayr

Other than the outward appearance/style how would this camera be any different than a number of retro digitals? Rolleiflex did one which did not get rave reviews.

Old 05-30-2009   #40
Pickett Wilson

I think the market for all this stuff is really Japan, anything with the slightest hint of retro is a must have.

Old 05-30-2009   #41
PhotoMat

Quote:
Originally Posted by aizan View Post
I hope it doesn't have image stabilization. I don't think PenIS would be a smart marketing move.

Old 05-30-2009   #42
Leigh Youdale

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanOnRoute66 View Post
Wow, unless you guys have some inside information about Olympus that isn't evident on the Pen 50th anniversary celebration link, I
The suggestion that there's more to come implies, to me, anyway, that there's going to be more information on PAST Pen cameras.
You could well be right. No, we don't have anything more than a couple of obscure and enigmatic comments (in Japanese). So we could all be having a great time building something in our minds that doesn't exist, and we'll end up having our self-created expectations disappointed.
Anyway, not long to wait, either way. We'll either be excited, dismayed or full of advice for Olympus as to what an opportunity they missed and what they should have done instead.

Fuji X10
Leica M6
Bessa R4A
Rolleiflex (3): E3 Planar 2.8, WA & Tele
Nikkormat FTn (2)

Old 05-30-2009   #43
Al Patterson
Ferroequinologist

It would be nice if they could come up with something as innovative as the PEN. We'll know in a few weeks.

Canon QL17 GIII
Leica CL 40mm Summicron-C 50mm Hexanon
Yashica Electro 35 GSN

Old 05-30-2009   #44
lemalk
Rebel Without a ...Pause

Wow. A lot of bashing. Oly, Apple, FourThirds, Leica...

As many others have stated (and I'm glad there's some defense of the E system), I think the new Digital Pen (or whatever it's called) shows a LOT of promise. I'm holding off on a D-Lux 4 purchase to see whether this new camera fits the bill.

On a completely superficial level, the design intrigues me - anything without a mirror hump is a step forward.
I just hope, as Steve Jobs says, Olympus doesn't snatch defeat from the jaws of victory by neutering the camera's design or functionality from the prototype that's been shown.

"To me, jazz is the closest thing to insanity that there is in music." - David Lynch

Old 05-30-2009   #45
gavinlg

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankS View Post
I wonder if this new Olympus Pen will have Image Stabilization?

Yes, it will, as said by olympus in numerous interviews. I'm not sure why you'd think thats a bad thing either - it'll have it built into the sensor, meaning you get about 2-3 stops of handholding ability from every lens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeV View Post
And the 110 film format is 17mm x 13mm, with one sprocket hole, just to set the record straight. So 4/3 and m4/3 is very close to 110 format in size.

~Joe
Who cares? 4/3rds can hold its own with full sized 35mm sensors, let alone APS-c sensors from Canon and Nikon and Pentax which are only a tiny % bigger than it. Refer to the picture I posted on the last page - ISO 1250 pushed to 2000 and it's clean and sharp. The "small sensor" comments are vague and generally made by people without any experience in the system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzeeman View Post
if you are happy with iphone photo quality - that clearly shows that apple's brainwashing machine still works good. they make high-priced garbage that all other companies have by much smaller prices, they have services thousands of miles away, they take you great money for products and for every repair - and because of that people think that that is some great elite company.
i hope you realize that there are tons of products for asian market which you never see on west - and a lot of them are very much ahead of apples products.
and yes - as someone else stated - samsung is korean...
He never said he thought the camera was good quality, he was talking about the interface, and I agree with him. Apple knows how to make an interface - the iphone is nothing short of brilliant. Not that it's relevant to this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bellayr View Post
Other than the outward appearance/style how would this camera be any different than a number of retro digitals? Rolleiflex did one which did not get rave reviews.
There's a huge difference - the m4/3rds camera will have a 4/3rds style sensor - the same used in Olympus DSLRs, which is considerably bigger (around 10 times bigger) then the sensor in any compact camera bar the sigma DPs, of which the sensor is similarly sized. All other compacts have sensors the size of a dust mite. This means DSLR quality in a tiny camera. Plus, it has interchangeable lenses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickett Wilson View Post
I think the market for all this stuff is really Japan, anything with the slightest hint of retro is a must have.
I don't think the camera is going to be "retro" in the same way that the new Nissan GTR isn't "retro" despite being a name and lineage dating back 50 years. It's going to be designed to sell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoMat View Post
I hope it doesn't have image stabilization. I don't think PenIS would be a smart marketing move.
It will according to Olympus, and I don't really understand why you wouldn't want it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanOnRoute66 View Post
Wow, unless you guys have some inside information about Olympus that isn't evident on the Pen 50th anniversary celebration link, I can't imagine how so many of you think that the very short video suggests there's going to be a digital Pen. The suggestion that there's more to come implies, to me, anyway, that there's going to be more information on PAST Pen cameras. And if they're talking about 50th anniversaries, they could string this campaign out for the next 10 years, as they plug the various full-frame Pens and then the half-frame SLRs on or near their respective 50th anniversary release dates.

My sense of Olympus is that, while the company over all is doing well, the camera division is in a lot of trouble. Whether the camera division even remains viable may depend on whether Olympus is acquired by some bigger company that's ready to invest a lot of money into the photography division.
People have been saying olympus is in trouble for years - they're a smaller camera company that march to the beat of a different drum than nikon and canon. They're much MUCH bigger than leica for instance, and their main specialty is actually in medical/optical, which is a large portion of the company and does very well. Their 4/3rds e-system also does quite well.

Olympus themselves have said "june 15th" will be the date for the new micro 4/3rds.

sources:
http://translate.google.com/translat...istory_state0=

http://www.engadget.com/2009/05/15/o...ch-early-july/

Last edited by gavinlg : 05-30-2009 at 15:10.

Old 05-30-2009   #46
gavinlg

For those that are still doubting that this is coming from Olympus, here you go:

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...fourthirds.asp

Old 05-30-2009   #47
gavinlg

And here is a summary of what's expected so far:

Olympus Micro Four Thirds camera
12 megapixel
video
no built in flash
3.0 LCD screen
900$ -999$ with kit lens
a second more advanced/featured camera released end of the year
14-42 kit lens
17 2.8 lens
no EVF
beige and black
mid-June announcement and second half of July availability

If you want to follow the internet rumors for this camera, have a look at this site - http://43rumors.com/
They rightly predicted the recent e-450 weeks before it was announced, so they have a somewhat proven track record.

Last edited by gavinlg : 05-30-2009 at 15:06.

Old 05-30-2009   #48
rover

Nothing there to excite me. Just another tool to do the same thing. I don't need another camera system, and for that price it is way out of what I would be willing to pay for a P&S. Add the lack of a wide fast lens, I will be better served with an LX3 and maybe pick up a Pentax K7 as an upgrade from my K10d. I won't be buying anything before it is formally announced, but unless it is really tiny, it won't find it's way into my possession.

Millennium M6TTL with Voigtlander 35/1.2 Nokton

rover's world at flickr

Old 05-30-2009   #49
PhotoMat

fdigital:

Reread my post. Carefully.

Old 05-30-2009   #50
Pickett Wilson

These threads are always fun!

We're all kind of hopeless. The "next" new camera will be the one that will complete us, finally reveal our talent, fit in our pocket, make grainless 16x20's at ISO 12,000. Our photos of the kids, and strangers on the street, will set the art world on edge with this miraculous tool. And I don't currently own a single camera that isn't capable of producing photos far beyond my abilities and the abilities of most other photographers.

Sure is fun to buy new toys, though.