Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > 120 / 220 film RF's

120 / 220 film RF's 120 / 220 format rangefinders including Fuji, Koni-Omega, Mamiya Press, Linhof 6x7/6x9 cameras, Mamiya 6/7 among others, but excluding the 120 folders and the Voigtlander 667 cameras that have their own forums.

GW690II Frame Spacing
Old 03-04-2016   #1
Keith (M)

GW690II Frame Spacing

Last week I took delivery of a GW690II and since then have put four rolls through it. The results (see some here) have been very pleasing, the lens is superb and items such as the rangefinder and shutter speeds work as they should. The one point of concern is frame spacing. It is inconsistent and some frames are separated only by the width of a scissor blade. Is inconsistent frame spacing a known point on the GW690?

The camera came with a six month guarantee but rather than send it back immediately I will put more rolls through it to see if it settles down.

Old 03-04-2016   #2
Dan Daniel

Are you being consistent in winding? Consistent pressure, speed, etc.? I found it didn't like uneven pressure, etc. I can't remember all the factors, but I know I got uneven spacing when I wasn't paying attention.

Although I don't remember extremely narrow spacing. Maybe 1/8 inch or a bit less as the minimum?

Also look inside the back. See if the rollers and other such parts look clean and aligned. Again I don't remember the details (don't have it any more), but there may be a roller that isn't being pressured correctly or such.

Old 03-04-2016   #3
Kent
Finally at home...

With my GW690 (not II) I have observed a similar thing. The spacing is somewhat inconsistent but two frames never get really close. It's the odd mm more or less.
Main Lenses: Nikkor, Leica, Fuji, Voigtländer, Sigma, Pentax, Tamron, Samyang etc.
Click me...

Old 03-04-2016   #4
Keith (M)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Daniel View Post
Are you being consistent in winding? Consistent pressure, speed, etc.? I found it didn't like uneven pressure, etc. I can't remember all the factors, but I know I got uneven spacing when I wasn't paying attention.

Although I don't remember extremely narrow spacing. Maybe 1/8 inch or a bit less as the minimum?

Also look inside the back. See if the rollers and other such parts look clean and aligned. Again I don't remember the details (don't have it any more), but there may be a roller that isn't being pressured correctly or such.
Thanks. Visually everything looks fine. I did wonder if the speed of operation of the wind-on lever could have an effect, maybe operating too fast causes some slippage. Never seen this effect on either my Leica M7 or MP though. Will monitor things carefully with the next roll.

Old 03-04-2016   #5
Gumby

The film spacing should be relatively even, and speed of winding should not cause significant variation. Generally those symptoms indicate the need for film transport system overhaul: clean/lube and often nothing more. Should be a rather affordable servicing I would think.

Old 03-04-2016   #6
Moto-Uno
Moto-Uno

^I have a Gl690 and it too has somewhat irregular spacing, but I've read that it has a film spacing variation , but they never overlap. Peter

Old 03-14-2016   #7
Keith (M)

Put film #5 through the GW690 last week and was careful to wind-on with steady/even speed/pressure. Pulling the film off the reel to hang-up to dry, I was pleased to see that the spacing was all very even. Will continue to monitor things.

Old 03-15-2016   #8
Alpsman

My older GSW 690 needs carefully, even, gentle winding to produce reglar spacing.
My newer GW 690 III does not care about hefty winding, always produces even spacing.

Old 04-07-2016   #9
EdColorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith (M) View Post
Put film #5 through the GW690 last week and was careful to wind-on with steady/even speed/pressure. Pulling the film off the reel to hang-up to dry, I was pleased to see that the spacing was all very even. Will continue to monitor things.
I have this with my new to me GW690II also. Thinking about how it works though I can see the issue. The first wind cocks the shutter, and the second just finishes the film advance. If you get sloppy on that second wind the shutter will still fire but spacing could be off. Mine too seems to like it when I pay more attention.