Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > 120 / 220 film RF's

120 / 220 film RF's 120 / 220 format rangefinders including Fuji, Koni-Omega, Mamiya Press, Linhof 6x7/6x9 cameras, Mamiya 6/7 among others, but excluding the 120 folders and the Voigtlander 667 cameras that have their own forums.

mamiya press 6x9 camera
Old 01-08-2016   #1
treehggr

mamiya press 6x9 camera

any members shoot with Mamiya press super 23? I'm a new member and unsure if this is the place to ask.

Old 01-08-2016   #2
charjohncarter

I use one; I have a 65mm f6.3, and a 100mm f3.5. I find it a great camera (RF), it is heavy and big. But you get great images. It also has the advantage or complete flash synch. Here are photos from each of my lenses:

Mamiya Super 23 by John Carter, on Flickr

TMY-2 Rodinal 1+50 by John Carter, on Flickr

Old 01-09-2016   #3
treehggr

very nice. I also shoot b&w. adid you use bellows in your interior shot? Question: The back I got from the camera when I purchased it, ruined its first roll of film. The numbers in the window wouldn't index.Just stayed on :S: Think I fed it wrong? Thanks

Old 01-09-2016   #4
charjohncarter

I know, I have everything I have to do taped to the camera: focus, meter, wind, etc and my favorite forget remove the darkslide. But this is a great camera with so many pluses that I can put up with the weight and the size. I don't use the bellow feature much, mostly just messing around.

Arista EDU ultra 100 Arista Liquid Developer by John Carter, on Flickr

I'm surprised that there haven't been more comments (posts) on this camera. After all it is a RF, and has a 2:3 format. (??????)

Old 01-09-2016   #5
oftheherd

There have been a number of threads on the Mamiya Unversal and Super Press 23. But I don't think that many RFF members own them. They are a bit heavy, and never were cheap. But they are great cameras, and system cameras as well. I have found their lenses very good as well.

Try a search on the Universal or the Super Press 23. If that doesn't answer your questions, come back here and ask them. I and others will be happy to try and answer them.

Old 01-10-2016   #6
graywolf

Over the years there has been 3 basic variations of the camera with several sub-variations.

The Press had a simple RF/'Viewfinder & the 90mm/3.5 lens was standard. It came set up for Mamiya Press backs or Graflock (Mamiya RB70 holders) backs.

The Super had a swing/tilt back set up for either the Mamiya or Graflock backs. Standard was the 100/3.5 collapsable lens, needed to use the back movements.

The Universal had interchangable backs. You could use Mamiya, Graflock, or the Polaroid backs. Standard were the 100/3.5, or the 127/4.7 (Polaroid) lens.

Both the Super and the Universal had bright line viewfinder frames for the 65mm, 100mm, and 150mm lenses (ala Leica M3), the Press used interchangable masks.

My preference was always the Universal, on which I used 6x7, 6x9, and Polaroid backs. The first one had the 100/3.5 lens, the second the 100/2.8. Never had any other lenses. Both were sold do to illnesses --funny, how one thinks paying hospital bills is more important than their camera. I would have replaced them again if life had put one in front of me at a reasonable price when I had the money in my pocket, but it did not. I would say the Universal was my favorite (and most money making) cameras, while I think my Crown Graphic, with flashbulbs, has been the most fun camera.

Old 01-10-2016   #7
ColSebastianMoran

I have one. Don't use it; too big and heavy. Some great lenses.
Birds, portraits, events, family. Mindfulness, reflection, creativity, and stance.

Old 01-10-2016   #8
dshfoto

Used one in the 90's for a while. Alas I sold it, but recently got another with Graflex back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 003-02_Met_Sairs.jpg (37.0 KB, 43 views)

Old 01-15-2016   #9
JChrome
Street Worker

I have a universal and use it every day (seriously). I removed the handle for weight savings and have a project where I shoot FP3000b everyday. I really like the camera but it's on the heavier side.

www.stillthrill.com

Old 01-30-2016   #10
treehggr

Yes,Ishho the press super23. Great camera. Where are you located? Shoot anything else?

Old 01-31-2016   #11
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

Have one, and a Mamiya Press Universal 23 as well (that said, I should really part with one of them - there is no point in a two camera rig with cameras that huge and heavy). Excellent camera with some great lenses.

Old 01-31-2016   #12
Spanik

Have a Standard 23 that came with a full set of 65/90/150, 2 6x9 backs (that also do 6x6 and 6x4.5 if you have the masks) and sheet holders with ground glass. It's the camera that made me the most shots of the backside of a darkslide. A bit a chore to use with all the different points that need to be attended before you can take a shot. Probably you can get used to it but if you only use it occasionally then it can be hard to keep to the sequence.

I like the output but there is a light leak in mine somewhere and I cannot find it. So until I get that sorted out little to say about the quality.

Old 01-31-2016   #13
rybolt

I've owned either Universal's or Super 23's for the past 45 years. I'm pretty sure that there has never been a time when I didn't own one or the other of them. To me, they were always used as a tripod camera. I currently have the last version of the Super 23 with the f3.5 lens. The favorite lens was always the 50mm but they're a little tough to find. The 100mm f2.8 lens is also not common and a good lens.
A pair of Barnack Anniversary cameras
Who knows how many others

Old 01-31-2016   #14
JChrome
Street Worker

Is anyone aware of the coating of the lenses? Are any of them multi coated? The 100 2.8 and 75 have that multi coated 'glare' but I haven't been able to come up with any info

www.stillthrill.com

Old 01-31-2016   #15
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChrome View Post
Is anyone aware of the coating of the lenses? Are any of them multi coated? The 100 2.8 and 75 have that multi coated 'glare' but I haven't been able to come up with any info
The last, rigid barrel Mamiya Press 105mm f/3.5, with aluminium/rubber barrel is multi-coated. All other lenses are supposed to be single-coated.

Old 02-01-2016   #16
Hogarth Ferguson

I'm in awe of people who use this huge camera. I could never do it.

Old 02-02-2016   #17
bsdunek
Old Guy with a Corgi

I love my Super 23. Use 50, 100 & 250mm lenses, several backs and other accessories. Yes, it's kind of big and heavy, but it's qualities out weigh that. Besides, I don't have to work out as much if I haul my Super 23 system and a big tripod around for a day.
I also made a pin hole body cap which works well. It's designed for 100mm.
When I was doing weddings, I occasionally forgot to pull the dark slide. Fortunately, I recovered before losing any shots.

My Gallery
Bruce
Don't take my Kodachrome away!
OOOPS! Kodak did!!!

Old 03-14-2016   #18
elmarman
Bail out the Brits too !

I got my Mamiya Press Super 23 in 1968 -- it was a toss-up between that or the Koni=Omega Rapid that a local wedding photographer used but the Mamiya had NO British 'Purchase Tax' @ 60% on it so I bought an outfit with 65, 100 amd 150mm lenses, two 6x7 backs and one 6x9 back, all for about 300-00 .I used it for Weddings for many years and some local Press work when the local newspaper went Web-offset and could use COLOUR but would allow only 'Medium Format' NO 35mm allowed ! I do not use it much now. I will upload a couple of scans of old Press Super 23 to the gallery.

Old 03-14-2016   #19
rybolt

My favorite camera of all time. I used one as a mini view camera for many years and still use a Super 23 that way. I'm just preparing to list a Universal outfit in the Classifieds section that belonged to an old friend who felt the same as I did about the cameras.
A pair of Barnack Anniversary cameras
Who knows how many others

Old 03-14-2016   #20
Kenj8246

I would love to show you some of the gorgeous shots I made without removing the dark slide. Alas, I'll have to show one I remembered to remove the slide for.

Hill County courthouse, Hillsboro TX. by Kenny Johnson, on Flickr

This with the 100mm f3.5 and Tmax 100 film. I love mine but don't shoot it often enough. In addition to the cut sheet back and GG, I also have a 6X7 and 6X9 back for it.

Kenny

And forgetting to cock the shutter.....!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-14-2016   #21
kuzano

And forgetting to cock the shutter.....!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenj8246 View Post
I would love to show you some of the gorgeous shots I made without removing the dark slide. Alas, I'll have to show one I remembered to remove the slide for.

Hill County courthouse, Hillsboro TX. by Kenny Johnson, on Flickr

This with the 100mm f3.5 and Tmax 100 film. I love mine but don't shoot it often enough. In addition to the cut sheet back and GG, I also have a 6X7 and 6X9 back for it.

Kenny
I will back that up with all the shots I made without cocking the shutter, and then the shots of the back of the lens caps.... Hundreds of both.

These camera's teach you to be slow and deliberate on your shots. Thoughtful and creative shots come from that practice.

I finally got rid of my Universal for one reason only.... The constant hunt for more accessories, lenses and backs.

Pick a film back, pick a lens, and just go shooting. Otherwise kiss money and time wasted hunting for pieces good bye.

Excellent system... I loved mine and it was difficult to pull the plug. I went to the Fujica GL690 rangefinder. At least the shutter cocks when transporting the film. The GSW690 fuji's have the 65mm EBC multicoated lenses. The Fuji was the only alternative after years with the Mamiya Universal, and press.

Old 03-14-2016   #22
JChrome
Street Worker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuzano View Post
I will back that up with all the shots I made without cocking the shutter, and then the shots of the back of the lens caps.... Hundreds of both.

These camera's teach you to be slow and deliberate on your shots. Thoughtful and creative shots come from that practice.

I finally got rid of my Universal for one reason only.... The constant hunt for more accessories, lenses and backs.

Pick a film back, pick a lens, and just go shooting. Otherwise kiss money and time wasted hunting for pieces good bye.

Excellent system... I loved mine and it was difficult to pull the plug. I went to the Fujica GL690 rangefinder. At least the shutter cocks when transporting the film. The GSW690 fuji's have the 65mm EBC multicoated lenses. The Fuji was the only alternative after years with the Mamiya Universal, and press.

I have both the Mamiya universal and Fuji GL. Of course the GL wins in terms of ergonomics and weight (and perhaps lens quality). But that 50mm Fuji costs about a grand. The 50mm for the Mamiya is around $300. While the hunt for more accessories continues, all pieces are reasonably priced. I'd say it's a significant bargain for the system.

And there are about 10 lenses for the Press system whereas there are 5 for the Fuji.

For traveling, the Fuji is excellent. While the Mamiya press is not so great in that department... Stay tuned, I'm about to release some accessories for the Mamiya Universal that will allow you to do some interesting things...

www.stillthrill.com

Old 03-15-2016   #23
mich rassena

I used my Mamiya Super 23 last night and shot three rolls with the 65mm lens on a 6x7 back (I'm still looking for a cheap 6x9 back). This was my second outing with the camera, and I found the camera very usable. It's easy to focus, and the accessory finder is not an inconvenience.

The weight isn't as significant an issue as you'd think. I was using it handheld, and it was a very windy day, > 30 mph winds and I was able to hold the camera still, even for vertical shots. Last week I was walking around for an hour with a 4x5 speed graphic and did find it a bit heavy and cumbersome. The handgrip and trigger on the Mamiya has a better feel to it than the body release on the graflex.

The Mamiya offers a lot of flexibility. I can switch out the lenses and they'll be cammed for the rangefinder. I can use the ground glass with the option of the rear bellows. I have a box of 2x3 film that I want to use with the accessory back. I like that the camera gives you the option to work fast or slow, as the situation dictates.

I think for its price point it's a great camera. It seems like a workhorse, whereas my Graflex XL seems a bit too delicate, with its plastic focusing handle.

I am new to Mamiya Universal too
Old 04-11-2016   #24
zillauser

I am new to Mamiya Universal too

Hi All, I am new to Mamiya Universal too. I have done a lot of street shooting with my Leicas, but I got the Mamiya because I want to slow down to shoot more carefully. I expect my Mamiya, aka Godzilla, to spend most of it's time on a tripod. I don't have a darkroom set up yet though I have a Beseler 23 enlarger, lenses and negative carriers in storage with the rest of the darkroom gear. I see your images and have darkroom fever real bad now. Keep shooting and showing! Richard ,zillauser. In NE Michigan

Old 04-12-2016   #25
oftheherd

Quote:
Originally Posted by zillauser View Post
Hi All, I am new to Mamiya Universal too. I have done a lot of street shooting with my Leicas, but I got the Mamiya because I want to slow down to shoot more carefully. I expect my Mamiya, aka Godzilla, to spend most of it's time on a tripod. I don't have a darkroom set up yet though I have a Beseler 23 enlarger, lenses and negative carriers in storage with the rest of the darkroom gear. I see your images and have darkroom fever real bad now. Keep shooting and showing! Richard ,zillauser. In NE Michigan
I think you will enjoy your Mamiya Universal. I have the Super Press 23. I don't very often use it on a tripod, although naturally that will give you sharper photos. But I found it so easily hand holdable, my photos were still quite good and shake free. Try both ways and see what you like.

Do expect that if you find you like those big negatives, you will want more backs, extra lenses, and other accessories like extension tubes, cut film backs, etc.