Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Bigger than 35 RF's > Voigtlander Bessa III / III Wide

Voigtlander Bessa III / III Wide Celebrating the two modern Voigtlander 120 film cameras, the 667 Bessa III and Bessa III Wide.

GF670W Bessa III W
Old 06-11-2011   #1
sem

GF670W Bessa III W

Hi,
someone use this camera?
I am looking for some pics? Post them please! Many thanks!
Kind regards

Blog

Old 07-27-2011   #2
tlitody

Bump

Anyone got a review and / or pics from GF670W yet?

Old 07-27-2011   #3
kmallick

I just came across this camera on a eBay listing by the head butler here. Lots of pictures in the listing. I didn't know that Voigtlander was coming out with a 6x7!

Old 07-28-2011   #4
sem

Thanks very much for the link! It is a beauty, in my eyes.
Someone use the camera? Show us some pictures please.
Kind regards

Blog

Old 07-31-2011   #5
tlitody

It came out just as everyone was gettiing very excited about the X100 release and seems to have been overlooked by everyone. I think RFFers are migrating to digital. Shame on them.

Old 08-09-2011   #6
DrTebi
Slide Lover

There are now a few GF670W pictures on flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=GF670W&m=tags

Check out the "original" size of the images--very large and detailed scans.

Quite an interesting camera, reminds me of the Plaubel Makina 67W.
Ricoh GXR with the A12 50mm module for the instant gratification.

All my favorite analog images are on flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/drtebi/

Last edited by DrTebi : 08-09-2011 at 23:55.

Old 08-10-2011   #7
thegman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlitody View Post
It came out just as everyone was gettiing very excited about the X100 release and seems to have been overlooked by everyone. I think RFFers are migrating to digital. Shame on them.
The even stranger thing is, that on a Range Finder Forum, there is more interest in a digital camera which is not a range finder, than a camera which *is* a range finder. But the X100 *looks* more like a range finder...

Old 08-10-2011   #8
Jamie123

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlitody View Post
I think a lot of people got used to the prices on the second hand market and they're just not ready to pay this kind of money for a medium format rangefinder. The Bessa III was already a stretch but this one is quite a bit more expensive.

FWIW, I used to have a Bessa III and it was quite a nice camera. Viewfinder was excellent, exposure was spot on most of the times and the shutter was almost silent. In the end I sold it because I just didn't fall in love with the lens. Resolution was great but the ''bokeh'' didn't look too nice and there was some distortion at close focus distances which was bad for the kind of head and shoulder portraits I like to do.

Old 08-10-2011   #9
sem

DrTebi, thanks very much for the Link, very interesting.
I think, it would have been nice if the lens was collapsible? And it is like Jamie says, I like to get a feeling for a camera, because most of the shops around don t have them.
Jeamie123, what kind of camera do use for your kind of work?
Thanks a lot
kind regards

Blog

Old 08-10-2011   #10
Jamie123

Quote:
Originally Posted by sem View Post
Jeamie123, what kind of camera do use for your kind of work?
For medium format I used to use a Hasselblad for a long time, then sold my kit when I got a DSLR and bought the Bessa III to keep as a light weight travel camera. Now that I sold the Bessa III I'm back to a Hasselblad kit. I really love the look I get with the lenses on the Hasselblad, the only thing I'm not completely in love with is the square frame. I might still get a Mamiya 7 at some point as a travel camera.

One thing to say, though, is that I didn't dislike the Bessa III at all. I wasn't actively planning on selling it but I got a good offer on it and decided to move on to something else.

Old 08-10-2011   #11
Jamie123

Also, if you want to put your hands on the camera, try one of these dealers: http://www.voigtlaender.de/cms/voigt...dih7sxeuz.html

Old 08-10-2011   #12
sleepyhead

The Wide 667 looks like a nice camera (as does the Bessa III), but they are just too expensive in my opinion. For 3000 USD you could get a complete Mamiya 6 kit with 3 lenses.

But then, I'm not a big fan of 6x7 format - for those that are, I suppose these cameras are heavenly.
My flickr

Old 08-10-2011   #13
sem

Hi Jamie123, thanks for the Link. Might be a good idea to take one in hands.
I am not sure, what I want. Something light with diopter correction I think, my eyes are not so good this days, also thinking of a Mamiya 7 so I can have both wide and a bit tele.
Kind regards
sem

Blog

Old 08-10-2011   #14
DrTebi
Slide Lover

I have recently been in Germany and went to a couple of the "official" Voigtländer dealers. To my surprise, none of them had the Bessa III on display, they told me that it is such an unusual item, that they can only do a special order on it.

I really wanted to get it into my hands as well, since I have been trying to get a Plaubel Makina W67 for a while, but collectors prices are steep. The Bessa III W is very similar with a few "modern" advantages, in about the same price range.

By the way, the Makina's lens is collapsible, as opposed to the Bessa III W. I have the Makina 670 and love it, I find it ideal for travelling, especially when hiking--it's compact and light weight (considering it's a medium format camera), a built-in light meter that works, and a fantastic lens.
Ricoh GXR with the A12 50mm module for the instant gratification.

All my favorite analog images are on flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/drtebi/

Old 08-10-2011   #15
furcafe

I agree that the GF670W is too expensive for many, if not most, potential buyers, though that's understandable given the tiny market.

FYI, both the GF670/Bessa III & the GF670W are switchable between 6x6 & 6x7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyhead View Post
The Wide 667 looks like a nice camera (as does the Bessa III), but they are just too expensive in my opinion. For 3000 USD you could get a complete Mamiya 6 kit with 3 lenses.

But then, I'm not a big fan of 6x7 format - for those that are, I suppose these cameras are heavenly.
Five a Second. Chicago's Bell & Howell Co. (cameras) announced that it would put on sale this fall the world's most expensive still camera. Its "Foton" will take five 35-mm. pictures a second, sell for $700. Bell & Howell, which has found that "families of both low and high incomes now spend over $550" for movie equipment, hopes to sell 20,000 Fotons a year.

--Facts And Figures, Time magazine, Monday, October 4, 1948
My Photoblog

My Flickr stream

My RFF Gallery

Old 08-10-2011   #16
furcafe

Since the camera is all-Japanese, Germany's probably not the place to find it. Adorama & B&H both have the GF670 for "only" $1664. It's a mystery to me, but the Fuji version of the hood is actually cheaper than the Cosina Voigtlander version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTebi View Post
I have recently been in Germany and went to a couple of the "official" Voigtländer dealers. To my surprise, none of them had the Bessa III on display, they told me that it is such an unusual item, that they can only do a special order on it.
Five a Second. Chicago's Bell & Howell Co. (cameras) announced that it would put on sale this fall the world's most expensive still camera. Its "Foton" will take five 35-mm. pictures a second, sell for $700. Bell & Howell, which has found that "families of both low and high incomes now spend over $550" for movie equipment, hopes to sell 20,000 Fotons a year.

--Facts And Figures, Time magazine, Monday, October 4, 1948
My Photoblog

My Flickr stream

My RFF Gallery

Last edited by furcafe : 08-11-2011 at 16:14.

Old 08-10-2011   #17
Jim Bradley

Here is a discussion on LF about the Fuji/Bessa wide started by Sandy King :
http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=78597

Jim

Old 08-10-2011   #18
kuzano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie123 View Post
For medium format I used to use a Hasselblad for a long time, then sold my kit when I got a DSLR and bought the Bessa III to keep as a light weight travel camera. Now that I sold the Bessa III I'm back to a Hasselblad kit. I really love the look I get with the lenses on the Hasselblad, the only thing I'm not completely in love with is the square frame. I might still get a Mamiya 7 at some point as a travel camera.

One thing to say, though, is that I didn't dislike the Bessa III at all. I wasn't actively planning on selling it but I got a good offer on it and decided to move on to something else.
Jamie... two cameras that may replace your Hasselblad with a 6X7 frame and keep the SLR format.

Bronica GS1 is 6X7 AND I think the Zenza lenses have leaf shutter in lens.

Mamiya 67, although I suspect you know about that one.

I've always had great results with Bronica cams and Zenza lenses.

Old 08-10-2011   #19
whitecat
Lone Range(find)er

I have had and used the 667 for months. The optics are superb and I like the build but the bellows looks a little cheap. Fantastic viewfinder which reminds me of my Zeiss 35. I use a Rolleiflex FW which is a 10. I would rate this as a 7.5.

Rolleiflex FX, Yashica Electro 35, Nikon 35 TI, Nikon 28 TI, Widelux F7, Contax TVS III, Zeiss Ikon 35, Minox, Olympus 35 EE3, Konica AA 35, Minox 35 GT, Canonet QL17, and many more....

Old 08-10-2011   #20
Jamie123

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuzano View Post
Jamie... two cameras that may replace your Hasselblad with a 6X7 frame and keep the SLR format.

Bronica GS1 is 6X7 AND I think the Zenza lenses have leaf shutter in lens.

Mamiya 67, although I suspect you know about that one.

I've always had great results with Bronica cams and Zenza lenses.
For me it's really all about the lenses with the Hasselblad. I really love that smoothness in tones.

I'm sure the Bronica is a capable camera but it just never appealed to me. I did consider the Mamiya RZ67 for a while as I really like this system but it's just such a beast.
It's really not a big issue. I don't actually dislike the square format, I'm just not in love with it. I think it's great sometimes and sometimes it doesn't quite work.

Old 08-10-2011   #21
hausen
Hausen

I really like my Fuji GF670. Is so easy to use, packs down really small and fits in my bag with M9 + 3 lenses for travel. I really like the Fuji lens as well and also the freedom that a fixed lens gives me because I am not always second guessing myself on what to carry. Had the Mamiya 6 + 3 and I think I am happier with the Fuji. I use it more because of size and meter is certainly better. The Fuji only cost me $1650 from B&H and I think the wide option is definitely overpriced.

Far too many cameras & lenses!

Old 08-10-2011   #22
Tompas
Snarp-shooter

I would have liked a 667 but decided to get a Pentax 67 instead and managed to find a good one with a 90mm lens for 300€. For my taste just to much of a price difference to the 2500€ or whatever a 667 costs.

Old 08-10-2011   #23
Frank Petronio
Upwind of Rochester

I'd like to see one, I've never quite liked the Mamiya 6-7 or Fuji GW-series build quality but this would have to be pretty awesome for $3K.

Old 08-10-2011   #24
Lflex
Lflex

I play with this camera every time I walk by the Fuji showroom in Tokyo Midtown.
It handles very nicely and I like the wider lens and non-folding design much better than the folding version. However, with all the wonderful inexpensive used japanese MF gear around it is very difficult to justify the price.

Old 08-10-2011   #25
sem

Hi Tompas,
never saw a pentax 67. Is it that heavy? Or is it more like a big DSLR to carry?
What can you tell me about Mamiya 7 and where the difference between a Mamiya 7II, is the viewfinder better and that in difference to a GF670.
A lot of questions. Thanks for your help.
Kind regards

Blog