Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Non Rangefinder Cameras > Lomo / Diana / Holga / Pinhole / Polaroids

Lomo / Diana / Holga / Pinhole / Polaroids Dedicated to Lomo / Diana, Holga, Pinhole, and Polaroid photography. Not recommended for those endlessly obsessing over the sharpest lens.

Polaroid 6x12 conversion
Old 01-02-2009   #1
Q-Zone

Polaroid 6x12 conversion

Hi Folks - Happy New Year to all!

Just getting to the end of this 6x12 conversion - thought I might post some pics of the final. This is my first camera conversion, so went for something simple.

Click this bar to view the small image.

This started out as a Model95 that was given to me by a good friend. And since I always wanted a wider format, I thought this would be ideal for a 6x12 conversion.

The camera was in pretty good shape as an original, but unusable due to lack of film. I just started getting back into film and kept lusting a wider format than the 6x6.

I stripped down the camera of the original covering and proceeded to lighten it as much as possible. I must say that I am impressed at the build quality of the Polaroids - like a Tank! I cant remember how many rivets I had drilled out of that thing.

The original lense was drilled out and replaced with a 127mm and the whole body recovered with Ostrich Skin. The original bellows were stretched out since the original opening was only 10.5cm. The whole project was a bit of "adjust this-n-that as you go along" since I couldn't find any info on this conversion.

I still have to adjust/shim the lense and then set up infinity focus (which is probably going to entail re-notching the focusing stops and recreating another focusing scale)

I've got some in-progress shots at http://www.pbase.com/qzone/polaroid_6x12&page=1

I'll post resulting pics from this camera when I get a chance.

Let me know what you think of the conversion.

Cheers, B.

Old 01-02-2009   #2
Glenn2

Nice to see an oldie saved from the scrap heap! You've done a beautiful job of the conversion, thanks for sharing the before and after images.

Glenn

Old 01-02-2009   #3
dazedgonebye

Beautifully done.

"And I know now that the cure for my childhood was not to be looked after, as I once believed; it was to look after someone else." ~Philip Norman

Photography Blog
Flickr
Twitter

Old 01-02-2009   #4
Todd.Hanz

awesome job, let's see some pics taken with this thing please!

Old 01-02-2009   #5
sweathog

That looks absolutely lovely.

Old 01-02-2009   #6
Q-Zone

Thanks guys, glad you like it. That Ostrich skin does add a unique look. I suspect that orange colour is going to attract some attention when shooting though!

Many thanks to my friend Ed Warner for his help in the machine work. He's a bit of a collector and was generous to give me this donor (He like the wooden stuff!)

I've got a few things to sort out (Lense shim, mounting ring, infinity focus, focus scale and cable release mount). Hope to get through them next week or so. I forsee, making another focusing stop rack with new notches. All part of the fun!

I'll let you know how the shots come out.

Cheers, B.