Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Rangefinder Forum > Image Processing: Darkroom / Lightroom / Film

Image Processing: Darkroom / Lightroom / Film Discuss Image processing -- traditional darkoom or digital lightroom here. Notice there are subcategories to narrow down subject matter. .

View Poll Results: How many good frames do you need from a 36 frame roll to be happy?
1 125 23.58%
2 65 12.26%
3 81 15.28%
4 62 11.70%
5 43 8.11%
6+ 154 29.06%
Voters: 530. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-11-2010   #101
Brian Levy

Though I shoot very little 35, my satisfaction level standard is the same 100% safisfactory shoots. However, if I get 1-2 excellent and good enough to printg and hang and the balance are decent to very good, then I am a happy camper. Of course this does not count when shooting new film, a new camera or testing something else. Then if by the end of the roll if I've dialed it in, I'm satisfied.

Old 11-13-2010   #102
p.giannakis

I shoot a roll per month so i suppose i will be very have if in one year i have 12 good pictures taken....

Monochrome Archives

Old 01-09-2011   #103
tokengirl

I guess it depends on one's definition of "good frames". If "good" means correctly exposed and in focus, then I strive for 100% and maybe one or two frames should be cut from the strip and tossed.

But that's not how I define "good". For me, "good" is a photo that just works visually, irrespective of the technical aspects. If I get one "good" photo from a roll of film, then I consider that success. Anything above that is a bonus.

Old 01-12-2011   #104
sepiareverb
-

I'm more in the rolls per shot category.

Old 01-16-2011   #105
sjw617
Panoramist

I am surprised to see that over 50% of responders have 3 or LESS shots per roll that they think are good.
This makes me think of guys complaining about digital post processing. If you get one good shot per day / week then your digital post production should be minimal since you wouldn't do the non-keepers.
It also gets me thinking of archiving... do they throw out the 'bad' ones or have an archive of over 90% bad shots?
And it gets me thinking of the people who say digital users over shoot. If you have 1 or 2 keepers, aren't you doing the same.
I think this poll tell us that we have to think more of composition and exposure.

What do you think? What does the poll tell you?

Steve

Old 01-16-2011   #106
DNG
Fuji X-E2 / Nikon FE

I don't use all 36, maybe 30x, but I will photograph 2-5 frames of the same thing in a few different angles and or f/stops, and see which one works best. (I generally know ahead of time, But I like options later when I re-visit the photographs later, I might see a different variant as the better photograph).

So I voted 6+, Because that would indicate that a few photographs in a small series where good to go, instead of 1 photo, in that series.

Edit:
Let me be clear, these 6+ are good photographs, I may not have any "outstanding" photographs in that 6+, I may have 1, maybe.
So, as far as keepers, 6+, as far as "outstanding", 1 maybe

iPernity

Flickr (Street Photography)

Tumblr

My Feed Back

Fuji X-E2 / XF 18mm f/2 / XF 35mm f/1.4
Nikon FE / 24mm f/2.8 Ais / 50mm f/1.8 Ais
Lr 5.5 / CC14.1.2
Epson V700

Last edited by DNG : 01-16-2011 at 06:55.

Old 01-16-2011   #107
DNG
Fuji X-E2 / Nikon FE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjw617 View Post
I am surprised to see that over 50% of responders have 3 or LESS shots per roll that they think are good.
This makes me think of guys complaining about digital post processing. If you get one good shot per day / week then your digital post production should be minimal since you wouldn't do the non-keepers.
It also gets me thinking of archiving... do they throw out the 'bad' ones or have an archive of over 90% bad shots?
And it gets me thinking of the people who say digital users over shoot. If you have 1 or 2 keepers, aren't you doing the same.
I think this poll tell us that we have to think more of composition and exposure.

What do you think? What does the poll tell you?

Steve
I don't delete "bad" photographs, unless it just OOF. I may find, down the road that one of those photographs works for different reasons. Or I may find my Post skills can "make" it a better photograph.
So, yes, I do archive the whole roll. You never know what the future brings.

iPernity

Flickr (Street Photography)

Tumblr

My Feed Back

Fuji X-E2 / XF 18mm f/2 / XF 35mm f/1.4
Nikon FE / 24mm f/2.8 Ais / 50mm f/1.8 Ais
Lr 5.5 / CC14.1.2
Epson V700

Old 02-07-2011   #108
ooze

Looking back in my archive, so far it's been about one frame per ten rolls that I've been really happy with.

Old 12-09-2011   #109
menthel
Not very good...

At the time I shoot- lots. By the time I dev and scan, a maximum of 1!

Old 12-09-2011   #110
dct

If good means "winner", those few photos I (would) print and put it on a wall, show it to other... I would be around 0.1 per roll.
Looking at the discussion here I suppose the OP equals "good" to "normal personal keeper". Than an average of 3 out of 36 images is my personal feeling.

Old 12-09-2011   #111
mike rosenlof
Insufficient information

Too many variables. What defines "happy with"? There are lots of different criterea...

Good enough to upload to flickr.
Good enough to E-mail to your mother.
Good enough to print.
Good enough to hang on your wall.
Good enough that a friend will hang it on his wall if you give him/her a framed copy.
Good enough that someone would buy at an art fair.
Good enough that a gallery would represent.
Good enough that a museum would buy.

or maybe...

Good enough that your client will pay your invoice.
Good enough that your client will use it more than once.
Good enough that your client will use it more than once, and pay for the additional use.
Good enough that your client will hire you again. (maybe these last two are the same!)

Old 12-09-2011   #112
bgb

"happy with" to me means good enough to show to my friends and good enough to have an enlargement for the wall done.
I figure one per roll whether 35mm or 6x6 more is nice but one image that exceeds my expectations is a great feeling.
With digital my success rate is higher ... but only when i shoot B&W

Old 12-09-2011   #113
mnmleung

two on a very good day ...
but I like them all, because photos are like a journal for me

Old 12-21-2011   #114
chathaway

...to slap on flickr, a couple per roll...to print and put on a wall...one or two a year, maybe...

Old 12-22-2011   #115
Godfrey
wonderment

Quote:
How many good frames do you need from a 36 frame roll to be happy?
Any is good. ]'-)

Old 12-22-2011   #116
JayM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chathaway View Post
...to slap on flickr, a couple per roll...to print and put on a wall...one or two a year, maybe...
Ditto. Flickr for me is more of an edited contact sheet.

Old 02-07-2012   #117
thirtyfivefifty
Noctilust survivor

One day I would like to shoot a photo set on a slide roll.

Old 02-19-2012   #118
Sylvester
Street Shooter

I never had my "perfect" shot that I would blow up the size of my wall if I could, but normally I have 3 or 4 pictures that I like enough to post on Flickr and print 5x7... maybe 1 for a 8x10 blow up...

Leica M6 Classic, Nikon FM2 Canon EOS 5D3 and 5D1, Canon EOS 1N, Konica Autoreflex T, Polaroid Automatic Land Cameras, Multiple Holgas and a Diana.
http://mistersylvestre.com/

Old 02-21-2012   #119
Rayt

I would be happy with one per roll.

I am beginning to throw away the negs that didn't cut it due to space limitations and ease of cataloging. However people I know prefer to have the entire roll intact in a Printfile even though they are rejects. With mounted slides I just toss the rejects but seems people don't do that with negs.

Old 02-21-2012   #120
Araakii

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonSawSunlight View Post
somewhere in between 20 and zero (on a 36 exp roll). hardly ever more than twenty. but even in the rare event of 20 satisfying shots (happens more in 'reportage' rather than 'street'), I'd still edit them down to a selection 4-8 frames, usually.
I don't think I ever had a roll full of craps but I largely agree with your range. For me it's roughly this:

Happy: 3-20
Proud: 1-6
Lifetime keeper + large print: 1 every 2-3 rolls

Old 02-22-2012   #121
BobYIL

When I estimate as close as possible, I think I have seen around 1.000 photographs of HCB since 1964, including books and online sources. Assuming I was able to see only half of them, let's think that he had some 2.000 to 2.500 pictures all together issued, printed and exhibited. These all in 50 years, roughly 2.500 weeks... meaning more or less a picture a week. Probably Henri was shooting 10 rolls a week, if not more.

So if I get one frame per 10 rolls worth of keeping then I am pleased tremendously.

Batting Average
Old 02-22-2012   #122
Dektol Dan

Batting Average

Photography is the same as shooting skeet. If I don't make at least .500 on a roll I can't live with myself. I live for making the shot, I have learned to see compositions 'come together'. That's the skill and the joy, it's like improvisation in jazz, one plays to what is on his plate at the moment. The rest of it can go hang.

Old 03-06-2012   #123
Peter^

Quote:
Originally Posted by charjohncarter View Post
I need 3 but if I get even 1 that is a triple A winner I would be happy. The problem is the 1 winner I get is usually not the one I thought it would be, which means I get zero intentional winners.
I can relate to that. It's never the one I expect to be good, but the one I just shot without thinking about it.

See my pictures at:
http://peter.andrews.ipernity.com

“Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson

Old 04-26-2012   #124
DSkjaeve

I would be very happy with 1-2 keepers per month. Didn't see that option so I went with 1 per roll.

Old 04-26-2012   #125
traveler_101
American abroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by totifoto View Post
If you shoot a 36 frame roll how many frames do

If I get one that is perfect I´m happy but I wanna get at least 5 good frame from a roll.

When I shoot 6X6 I wanna get at least 3.
Happy = 4.

Don't have that much experience but intuitively I felt 4 good shots is really great.