Darkroom...going Digital...
Old 08-19-2008   #1
nikon_sam
Shooter of Film...

Darkroom...going Digital...

After 25+ years of using a Time-O-Lite Master timer in my darkroom I have finally replaced it with a Gralab 500 "Digital" timer...
Why did I not do this sooner??? To be able to work in 1/10ths of seconds for final adjustments...how great is that???
Even though my Time-O-Lite has indeed served me well and still appears as new I don't know if I'll ever go back to using it...I guess as I'm getting older and wiser I'm looking to perfect my printing just a bit more and indeed this will make things easier...
I love wet printing so I'm not going completely "Digital" in my darkroom...just trying to get it more user friendly...

I was able to test a Gralab 500 and a 505...the slightly older 500 is, in my opinion, a better made and easier to use timer...I like the display and the buttons are bigger and easier to use in the dark...they both have just about the exact same functions too...

And since the darkroom is still set-up, I'll be getting back in there today...
pf

Old 08-19-2008   #2
Chris101
Lazy Lytro Shooter

The problem is, I can't think in tenths of a second! In fact 2-2.5 sec seems to be the limit of my consistency. So the old Time-o-Lite that I use in the school darkroom works for me. Perhaps someday I'll be that precise, but for now, analog works for me.

ps, your title had me scared!