Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Miscellaneous Topics and more > Repair / Camera Care

Repair / Camera Care This is a good place to discuss the care and repair of your photo gear. You can share Do-It-Yourself repair and maintenance, as well as your recommendations for pro repairs. This new forum was created 4/1/07. PLEASE title your thread wisely, so others searching for a certain make of camera or repair person can find your thread easily!

A thread into the Viefinder..
Old 07-12-2008   #1
hiorgos

A thread into the Viefinder..

Hi

My zeiss ikon has some unwanted "visitor". When i look through the viewfinder I can see something like a thin thread, and it's just in the middle of the focusing patch..

When I cover the viefinder with my finger I can see it, so it's not in the viewfinder glass. The same with the white panel in the front, near the viefinder. So i suspect it's somewhere into the camera rangefinder system!

i hope i explained it clearly.. Is there something I can do, or should I send it to repair?

Many thanks!

Old 07-12-2008   #2
payasam
a.k.a. Mukul Dube

Not likely to do any harm or come in the way of use. At worst a minor irritant.
RFF gallery
Flickr gallery

Old 07-12-2008   #3
FallisPhoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiorgos View Post
Hi

My zeiss ikon has some unwanted "visitor". When i look through the viewfinder I can see something like a thin thread, and it's just in the middle of the focusing patch..

When I cover the viefinder with my finger I can see it, so it's not in the viewfinder glass. The same with the white panel in the front, near the viefinder. So i suspect it's somewhere into the camera rangefinder system!

i hope i explained it clearly.. Is there something I can do, or should I send it to repair?

Many thanks!
If it's really bothering you, take the top cap off of the camera and remove it. It's easy. Just don't touch the semitransparent mirror in front of the viewfinder. In many old rangefinders, the semitransparent mirror is made by depositing aluminum vapor on glass. If you touch it, you'll find out the hard way that the deposited aluminum often sticks to fingers better than it does to the glass.

Last edited by FallisPhoto : 07-12-2008 at 13:14.

Old 07-13-2008   #4
hiorgos

Thanks for the advice. But I think I don't dare yet to open the camera.. it's only one month old! I'm going to wait a bit, maybe the tiny thread decides to keep his way and go somewhere else..

Old 07-13-2008   #5
FallisPhoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiorgos View Post
"... it's only one month old!"
Er,... just what kind of a Zeiss Ikon are we talking about here? I take it we're not talking about a vintage camera, as I thought we were?