Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Non Rangefinder Cameras > Smartphone Cameras

Smartphone Cameras Sure your Leica M9 takes better picts, but is is smart enough to make a phone call ?

View Poll Results: How often do you use your camera phone?
All the time. 124 27.13%
Every once in a while. 93 20.35%
Only if absolutely necesarry, or for unimportant pictures 131 28.67%
Only if there is no blunt object to hit myself with, because that would be preferable. 109 23.85%
Voters: 457. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-21-2011   #51
Matus

Camera on ny ZTE Blade is poor enough to use in only as "memo" for stuff to buy or such. But I have seen some photos from cell phone cameras that actually looked nice (1024*1024 on screen, not 8x10" prints)
... per camera: Olympus XA , Jupiter J3 , Rolleiflex T, Mamiya 6, Ricoh GRDIII shots

Old 04-21-2011   #52
rbsinto

Location: Thornhill, Ontario, Canada Thornhill is a suburb of Toronto
None of my cameras has a phone, so why would my phone have a camera?
My cell phone only does two things: it lets me call you. And you call me. And that's all I need.

Old 04-21-2011   #53
SteveM_NJ

I think I use the camera feature, on average 1 or 2 times a year, when I need to take "snap-shot notes" while shopping/browsing as had been expressed by others (everything is better than my penmanship), or if I come upon something interesting and my actual camera ran out of power or film (very rare).

Film vs. Digital? -ha- just use everything.
Leica M3, M7, Epson R-D1s, Bessa R, Fed3, Revere stereo, Nikonos IVa, Canon FTbn, EOS1, EOS10s, EOS10D, EOS300D, P&S A590IS, Hasselblad500cm with PhaseOne back, Kiev 88, Seagull TLR, Burke&James 4x5

Old 04-21-2011   #54
mabelsound
actually a dude

I love my iPhone, Camera+, Hipstamatic, and Instagram. Totally different kind of photography, different purpose, different results. And great fun!

Old 04-21-2011   #55
maddoc
... likes film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabelsound View Post
I love my iPhone, Camera+, Hipstamatic, and Instagram. Totally different kind of photography, different purpose, different results. And great fun!
Same here + Facetime. I can see and talk to my family while on a business trip without the need to hook up a large PC / notebook.

flickr
pBase
blog

Old 04-21-2011   #56
c.poulton

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabelsound View Post
I agree - although I love film, iPhone + Hipstamatic is really fun where you can experiment and not care what the results turn out like - some even work!

Chris

Christian

My Gallery
My Flickr

Old 04-21-2011   #57
stupid leica
i don't shoot rf

i use mine almost daily. HTC Incredible. Has a great camera, and i love the ability to immediately upload pictures to flickr.

Old 04-21-2011   #58
n5jrn

The only reason I have a cell phone with a camera is because it was the least expensive model my carrier offered (i.e. it was not possible to get one without a camera). I tried using it once, only to discover in disgust that the camera firmware had been crippled by design and the only way to download the photo was to pay the cell carrier what amounted to an exorbitant sum for transmitting such a paltry amount of data. I deleted the shot, and that was the last time I activated the camera feature on the phone.

I suppose if I saw something really newsworthy, and I had no other camera with me, and there were no other photographers around, I would use the phone camera and pay their ridiculous fee. Otherwise, forget it.

Old 04-21-2011   #59
n5jrn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSU View Post
My phone has replaced my watch, it is the most accurate timepiece I have ever owned.
There's a good reason for that. As long as you're in-network, your phone synchronizes its clock from signals on the network, which ultimately derives its time from the National Bureau of Standards.

Old 04-21-2011   #60
mrbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamzip View Post
OK, this is purely for fun and to waste time. It is really not meant to start flame wars, rants, arguments, or any of that. Obviously a camera phone is not a serious tool. tha being said, just about everybody has one, so let's hear it!
I use my iPhone 4 camera every day with Instagram. Fun stuff.

The camera is good enough for what I want to do.

(Shameless plug: my Instagram ID is @mr_brown)

My Blog | My Flickr
| 500px

Voigtlander Bessa R3M + CV 12mm f5.6
, M-Rokkor 40mm f2, CV 75mm f2.5 Heliar, Jupiter-8 50mm f2, Jupiter-9 85mm f2
Voigtlander Bessa R4M + CV 28mm f2, CV 35mm f2.5 PII, Canon 50mm f1.8 LTM
Sony Nex-5N dual lens kit + EVF + LA-EA2 adaptor for Alpha lenses + Sony 35mm DT f1.8, 50mm DT f1.8, Sony 24-70mm CZ
Olympus OM-D E-M5 with 12-50mm kit + Olympus 12mm f2, 45mm f1.8 and Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 25mm f1.4

Old 04-21-2011   #61
photogdave
Shops local

Update: I now have a rotary telephone from the 1940s wall mounted in my living room. No more stupid cordless phone running out of battery in the middle of a call!
I still don't have a cell phone but I do have an iPod Touch.

Leica M4, M6, CL
Voigtlander lenses
Pentax Optio 43 WR
Olympus Stylus Epic
Rolleiflex TLR
Nikon F100, D70

My Gallery

Nice old thread
Old 04-21-2011   #62
dct

Nice old thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbsinto View Post
...when I go to restaurant's and see families with members who pay no attention to the rest of the people at the table because they are constantly texting or gamesturbating...
yes, I consider cellphones and their close elecrtonic cousins to be addictive, and the excesses of their users to be idiotic.
100 % agree. It is a collective desease. And such situations are definitly missing any respect to each other as PERSON in real world, not as NICK in a net world...

Don't get me wrong: I am in strong IT project business the whole day and use all today's gadgets and networks too. But for business only!

After closing time, I switch off the cell phone, same for the office mail acount on my notebook and use in private only forums (like here), private email and another phone number for traditional calls. At a restaurant I like to discuss, laugh, drink fine wine, look at nice girls and don't like any disturbing gadgets around me.

Back to topic: every now and then I use my Nokia for flip chart copies, occasional P&S images or a close up of an interesting offer in a shop. Nothing more.

Old 04-22-2011   #63
craygc

Not often but sometimes phone cams amaze me. This was a Nokia E52 about 10am just hangin' out at the pool while waiting for people to finish cleaning the apartment I just moved out of.

Old 04-22-2011   #64
Paolo Bonello
3 from 36 on a good day.

I use mine practically everyday. Short videos, photos, email, MMS text messages, record keeping, notes, tapatalk, ebay and the camera you use when you you dont have a camera. I wouldn't deny it's convenience in my life yet I was brought up with manners so I know when it's should be switched off or ignored. And I don't talk at the top of my voice within earshot of others cause I detest that.

One really useful photo that I always take with my phone is the parking bay number and/or level when I park my car in a multiple level car parking lot. Thought I'd share that incase you've ever lost your car in a parking lot. I know I have.

I really hope the quality gets better and good luck to the first company to make a serious hybrid camera+smartphone. Currently they are still too much of a compromise IMO. Maybe if they made a modular upgradeable system so that people who want the quality lens or larger sensor plus flash can buy it as an optional upgrade. I'd go for that.

Google+: https://plus.google.com/113259640219...43/posts?hl=en

Flickr is here: Paolo Bonello, on Flickr.
(but I'm migrating across to Picasa)

Old 04-22-2011   #65
viv
Viv

I never use it. Neither do I make phone calls on my Nikon. For some reason, this is not a voting option.

Old 04-22-2011   #66
dee

What's a cell phone ? LOL .

Old 04-22-2011   #67
ZeissFan

I use mine (Nokia N900) off and on. I think it has a very good camera, if used within its limits.

Old 04-23-2011   #68
btgc

After using camera phone for a week I start to get idea that camera phones are killing off digicam segment. For visual notes camera phone is OK and if one wants something wider or longer, with shutter speeds and apertures - then there are real cameras. Why carry digital compact?

Old 04-23-2011   #69
Bill Kapinski

Earlier someone mentioned camera phones as not a serious camera. I would disagree, it is just another tool in the toolbox. Not any different than a Diana or Holga. They are not a serious camera, but a cheap plastic one that takes awful photos but there is a magical quality about it. I love my iphone 4. I use Hipstamitic almost exclusively. Square photos and cool effects, and it is with me everywhere I go, what's not to like. I am going to print about a dozen of the photos small and put them in my office at work as a mini gallery and maybe have a show (anything to bring in booze)
Canon EOS-1, 5D, 5Dmk3,
17-35, 24-70, 70-200, 85, 100, 135

Nikon F2-AS, F
50mm

Fujica STX-1
50, 135

Old 04-23-2011   #70
Alpacaman
keen bean

I mainly use my android phone for RSS feeds and ebooks that are out of copyright (project gutenberg is an amazing project - worth a look) - the camera on it is certainly very capable, it doesn't see very much use, however.

Old 04-23-2011   #71
DougFord
and then what happened??

almost never.
their 'image sophistication rating' is lousy.
i haven't yet, but perhaps there will come a time when i choose a cell phone as much for its camera capabilities as for its communications capabilities.

the walk

Old 04-23-2011   #72
loquax ludens

I only use my cellphone camera when I don't have another camera handy and I'm totally bored. Then I review the pictures, observe the very low quality, and delete them. Lots of fun.

Cellphone camera images are horrible, generally, and they lack all of the charming and redeeming qualities of a holga or diana or pinhole camera.

Old 04-24-2011   #73
acheyj

Never it wont take photographs, it is not a camera.
I put it in my pocket, go to town or round the cattle. If I need help I turn it on, make my call, turn it off, back in pocket.
It is a truly wonderfull device. If some body needs to talk to me they wait till I am home on the copper wire or write me a letter.
I have truly entered the modern age.

ron

Old 04-24-2011   #74
ebolton
Number 7614

I now have a Droid X, with an 8mp camera built in. I never used the 1mp camera on my old phone, but this one does pretty good (though not as good a decent 8mp point and shoot). I think I'll be using it more.

Old 04-24-2011   #75
nakedcellist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbsinto View Post
Ahhh. The new ettiquette and manners of the twenty-first century.
Spending endless time gamesturbating, texturbating, appsturbating, and answering every text message instantly regardless of the circumstances (while driving, in Church/Synagogue/theatres, restaurants, work meetings etc) or how trivial the incoming message, is considered normal and acceptable behaviour, while not giving someone a pre-message message is considered rude.
It is to laugh.
And you are correct that I'm in the minority. Young people today have become addicted to this idiocy and seem unable to function without some sort of an electronic device in their hand or stuck in one ear at all times.
Well, I have to admit, I fondle my camera regardless of circumstances, in church, in synagogue, theatres, restaurants, work meetings...

I have become addicted to this idiocy and seem to be unable to function without some sort of photo equipment in my hand..