Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > 35mm Film Range Finders > Leica M -- Konica RF

Leica M -- Konica RF This forum is about the Konica RF, Konica' s idea of what a M camera should be.

Hexar's RF Patch
Old 06-16-2008   #1
ChuckBindy

Hexar's RF Patch

I've had my Hexar RF for a few months now, and just noticed that when I go to focus the second image in the focusing patch seems to be higher than it used to be. It aligns perfectly fine horizonally, but it just doesnt line up on top. This is all while shooting landscape.
Would anyone have an explaination for this?

Thanks

Old 06-16-2008   #2
Matthew Allen

The vertical alignment can be adjusted as with most rangefinders, you should talk to a camera repair guy. If you do a search there are instructions on how to do this yourself but it's not easy (I don't think I'd attempt it on the Hexar) and you run the risk of damaging something.

Matthew

Old 06-16-2008   #3
pvdhaar
Zoom with your feet!

Before you have the vertical alignment adjusted, you first need to check whether it's actually necessary to do that..

The H-RF is extremely sensitive to the position of the eye behind the finder. A tad too high or too low, and the patch looks as if it's not vertically aligned. You should have your eye perfectly centered. And yes, that's hard because the finder is so wide and the shutter speed read-out so far to the left that you need to move the eye to see it.

The other factor that may be causing this is tilt of the camera. If you're not focussing straight on, but instead angle the camera up/down, you'll find that the bottom and top of the patch don't align while the center does. Angling the camera makes vertical lines come out as an 'X'..

Only if you're certain that the above doesn't apply, then it's time to adjust the vertical alignment. You can do it yourself (I did, http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...ead.php?t=1937 though the images seem to have disappeared.. ).. but indeed, it's not easy and care should be taken.

Peter

My Hexländer Gallery

Old 06-17-2008   #4
ChuckBindy

Thanks so much Peter. Yes after noticing my eye focusing onto the patch and just moving it ever so slightly up or down, the difference is seen. Like you said the postion of the eye is very critical. This was all going through my mind when I first saw it, and now I'm happy to hear that i'ts not a critical issue.

Thanks again Peter..

Brian