Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Digital Rangefinder Cameras > Digital Leica M8 / M8.2 / M9 / M-E /Mono / M10 aka "M"

Digital Leica M8 / M8.2 / M9 / M-E /Mono / M10 aka "M" Discussions about the Leica M8 /M 8.2 / M9 / M9-P/ M-E / M Monochrom / M10 aka "M": Leica digital M mount rangefinder cameras. Naming the new digital M the "Leica M" is VERY unfortunate as it will only confuse newbies with other Leica M cameras of the the past. Happily there is room for confusion with only the past 59 years of Leica M production ... since Leica introduced the Leica M system in 1953. All Hail for the Leica Marketing Department learning Leica M history!

Old 05-22-2008   #26
chikne
chikne

Hmmmmm, was it shot with a noctilux too?

Old 05-22-2008   #27
chikne
chikne

Though one might notice that the bokeh isn't very sharp.....

Old 05-22-2008   #28
nightlight
Ailleurs Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by NB23 View Post
I'm starting to get the hang of the M8's files.
Jpegs are crap but the RAW files are outstanding!

It will take some time to shoot the M8 just like I do with M film cameras but I feel I'm getting there.

You can relate to what I said? If yes, then please post your M8 shots

I can't relate to that not having an M8 but I understand you have a Noctilux - have you tried the M8 with that? I would be interested to see some samples please, whether B/W or Colour, if you have some at hand of course.

thank you
clarel

Old 05-22-2008   #29
nightlight
Ailleurs Land

Hi Highway 61,

I can't see the image you've linked your post to.

I just wanted to see some samples from the O.P. or whoever who has them, out of interest, that's all.

Clarel

Old 05-22-2008   #30
jaapv
RFF Sponsoring Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NB23 View Post
Hum, I don't think so. You post your shots and I will post mine. And we'll talk about skill. A'right?
Not quite my style. I leave the fisticuffs to others.

jaapvphotography

Old 05-22-2008   #31
NB23
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaapv View Post
Not quite my style. I leave the fisticuffs to others.
Too bad. So I guess I'll never know how brilliant or how bad you are at post processing digital files. So if you don't want to play, please don't give lectures and lousy advice.

Old 05-22-2008   #32
jaapv
RFF Sponsoring Member.

I fear I cannot grant your wish... Please add me to your ignore list and solve your quandary.

jaapvphotography

Old 05-22-2008   #33
NB23
-

Good. So to end this digital debate on a good note, here is what I came up with. The processing is mine. Also, note the lack of dust and no jaggies. And the composition is not made by a 1 hour lab. I made it myself. No noise. How fantastic.

Old 05-22-2008   #34
jaapv
RFF Sponsoring Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalintrigue View Post
Too much noise. Try a D3 instead.
What's wrong with noise?

jaapvphotography

Old 05-22-2008   #35
jaapv
RFF Sponsoring Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalintrigue View Post
Jaapv, the M8 has too much noise for that kind of photography, don't you think? Plus it would help to have 8 frames per second.
I agree for web use. In print, it is another story. I do not like the SMOOOOOOOOTh look. I fear I cannot think at 8 frames per second. I never use continuous mode. If I needed it I would not use an M8.

jaapvphotography

Old 05-22-2008   #36
NB23
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by CameraQuest View Post
Very funny Ned.

So you are posting your worst M8 shots (if they really are M8), saying how much you like them,

just daring someone to say the truth, ie "The Emperor has no clothes."

OK Ned. The two shots you posted in the thread are remarkable only in being so ordinary. If that is the best you can do with the M8, time to sell the M8 and go back to film.

Stephen
Are you saying film is for creating ordinary images and digital for more then ordinary images?

No Stephen. I enjoy shooting the M8 for its simpleness. I was only trying to stir a conversation.

As we all know, shooting film and shooting digital are entirely different. Different philosophies. I thought it would be interesting to know what people think about it. How they shoot theirs. Are they after exactness such a DSLR or are they persuing a more liberal approach, the rangefinder way?

But if you insist that people only post extraordinary images in your forum, I'm afraid you'd end up with no participants.

Old 05-22-2008   #37
NB23
-

My darkroom is fully operational. I print my own for the past 17 year now (started around 15). Took a 2 year or so break when I first got a D100, some 5 years ago.

Old 05-22-2008   #38
NB23
-

Fred,
I agree if I put my purist hat on. But I've shot many BW films lately and I just scanned the negatives and retouched in photoshop with results that, sometimes, I couldn't dream on achieving in my darkroom. Dodging and burning in places I can't normally reach. Contrast layers, masks...

Also comes to mind Andy Summers' exhibition I visited 6 months ago. All his BW prints we're all scanned negatives from the 70's and 80's and printed on HP scanner. The photos we're great. I guess all depends on the output paper. Cotton rag usually erases digital flaws...

I consider myself a purist but I have achieved enough good results by scanning my negs so I can't really jusge digital Versus film shooting in regards to print alone. For me, the main difference is in the shooting stage.

Old 05-22-2008   #39
NB23
-

Hey John!

Have you left the country? How are your plans going through?

Yes, this thread is weird. Happens... :-)

Old 05-22-2008   #40
NB23
-

Busy busy! Good luck...

Old 05-23-2008   #41
tomasis

ned, this thread is sad. it smells so much of jealousy, hate and satire here. RFF is gone completely crazy!!!

I dont really think that most people here recognize how good your two m8 shoots here. So it is okay to continue to be a misunderstood artist and have fun for while. Shoot for fun sake, it is what one says.

First photo is special. I thought at first that face in the car could be more visible but when I look at your original file, so I think you did good PP. Is it not boring to process that much for every file? It feels like the digital process is quite more time consuming than you believe. I guess one can always use script/action instead. Digital is not only the positive thing, also devilish

Old 05-23-2008   #42
NB23
-

I like my the first shot and this is why I posted it. It's strictly my taste so I can't talk for others. I also like the second shot which is, like I already said, my best M8 missed shot so far.
I'm not sure what happened in this thread, including me, but I have to thank Stephen Gandy for letting us express ourselves. This is a very cool place after all.

Old 05-23-2008   #43
kevin m

Quote:
But I've shot many BW films lately and I just scanned the negatives and retouched in photoshop with results that, sometimes, I couldn't dream on achieving in my darkroom.
I'm going to freak Ned out and agree with him.

There is no "best" method. I sold my Focomat V35 enlarger about 10 minutes after I bought Photoshop CS and I haven't looked back. The degree of control in the digital darkroom simply trumps the look of B&W paper, IMO. Selective burning and dodging, sharpening, filtering, etc., are so much easier and quicker in the computer than in a wet darkroom.

I still think that you get a certain look with scanned film, particularly B&W, that can't quite be duplicated with digital capture. For now, anyway, it's worth the trouble.

Old 05-23-2008   #44
NB23
-

This is freaky!

Old 05-23-2008   #45
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Here you go again Ned ... surfing the crest of the wave created by your own controversial nature ... I love it and it makes this forum really crackle at times!

Also like your two pics by the way!

flickr

Old 05-23-2008   #46
jbf
Rangefinder Convert

I know this may be out of the question, but can we post images from an Epson RD-1? Considering besides the external apperance and overall function they are similar in some ways at least...

If so i've got a few to share if you'd like. They're a few of my "fun takes" (though some are nice i think) from a few outings while studying abroad in France.

5D, M6, Yashica 124G.

Old 05-23-2008   #47
NB23
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Here you go again Ned ... surfing the crest of the wave created by your own controversial nature ... I love it and it makes this forum really crackle at times!

Also like your two pics by the way!
Hey Keith!

Old 05-23-2008   #48
NB23
-

JBF, please do share!

Old 05-25-2008   #49
NB23
-

Another from the same day... same kinda shooting-while-driving stuff.

Old 05-26-2008   #50
tomasis

heh one can always do shoot m8 while driving wonderful colors btw. due to your pp, it looks more like film. good work