Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Non Rangefinder Cameras > TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex

TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex another alternative to the dreaded SLR way of seeing, this forum for all format TLR cameras

Rolleiflex 2.8 GX and prism?
Old 05-14-2008   #1
3js

Rolleiflex 2.8 GX and prism?

Hi everybody,

I just bought a Rolleiflex 2.8 GX, and there is two guestions that I´m quite sure this forum can aswear to. So here I go, the first one: can I use the prism finder safely, I`m little unsure about those led´s, the prism don´t hurt them I hope?

And the second one, if I have moved the shutter speed to 500 and loaded the shutter, is it safe to change to lower speeds? And vice versa?

Thanks!

Old 05-14-2008   #2
John Bragg

No problem changing shutter speeds with a cocked shutter. I owned a 2.8 GX for some time although I sold it to fund a Leica. Never used a prism although I recall there is one available for it.. cant imagine a problem there either if it is for that camera.

Regards, John.

Old 05-14-2008   #3
rolleistef

The 500 issue applies only to older (ancient!) Rolleiflexs, up to Automat 2 or 3 I think. They were supplied with a Compur Rapid that needed an extra spring to reach 1/500, that it could break the shutter to either select that speed after cocking, either go back to slower speed after 1/500 was selected. That particularity disappeared with the MX (automat 3) that was supplied with a Synchro-Compur. The GX's got a modern Seiko shutter, and there isn't such prb with it.

RFF EuroMeet 2010-Florence !!!

Old 05-14-2008   #4
Wayno

Early Synchro Compurs (eg as found on late model Automats and the 2.8C) also had the booster spring for the top speed, so the same caution with selecting top speed before cocking applies to these models. Later Synchro Compurs (2.8D onwards?) were a completely new design and did away with the booster spring.

Old 05-22-2008   #5
3js

Red face

Thanks for your answers. But ,... hey wait a minute, where´s the battery? I have no faintest idea how to change it...