Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > 35mm Film Range Finders > Cosina Voigtlander Bessa

Old 04-14-2008   #76
mr_phillip

The one thing I'd part with real cash for is a genuinely compact 28mm (no bigger than the 40mm) in M-mount, with a 2.8 aperture. If it took 43mm filters (to make for a convenient pairing with the 40mm on a CLE or 35mm Nokton Classic on anything else) then that'd be a bonus.

Fuji X-E1, Leica M6, Leica M2, Canon P

Old 04-14-2008   #77
aizan

instead of another folder, cuz fuji's already doing that one, how about a tlr with ttl metering and AE?

Old 04-14-2008   #78
Avotius
Monster Rancher

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ Bignell View Post
I'd like to see a slightly modified R3A with:
  • Longer real baselength
  • 1:1 viewfinder with the following framelines: 35/75, 40/90, 50

It'd also be nice to see the Heliar 50/2 available in black without having to buy the R2M/R3M kit.

And, of course a full-frame digital Bessa around 10MP with the above features would be nice too.

I thought the 50/2 could be had without the camera?

Also since full frame is such a pain, I would take the same sensor out of my canon 20D and be more then happy.

Old 04-14-2008   #79
julianphotoart
No likey digital-phooey

Any MF SLR lens in EOS mount....or has this happened and I don't know it? Seriously, if I've simply forgotten, please tell me.

Old 04-14-2008   #80
Avotius
Monster Rancher

Quote:
Originally Posted by julianphotoart View Post
Any MF SLR lens in EOS mount....or has this happened and I don't know it? Seriously, if I've simply forgotten, please tell me.

Voigtlander had a 125mm lens in canon ef mount a few years ago, it didnt go over well, but then again it was not exactly a common focal length so was more of a novelty. I would love to have a ef mount Nokton 50 1.5 on my canon or even a 35 or 28? I would spend real money for something like that, as long as there was no plastic involved. Or hey, just give us the zeiss 50 1.4 in ef mount then.

Old 04-14-2008   #81
Paul T.

A compact 28mm, around f/2.8 or f/2.4.

Old 04-14-2008   #82
Sparrow
Stewart McBride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
Trouble is, you can't go a lot faster -- my 90/2 Summicron definitely stretches the Bessa's base-length too far -- and anything less than f/2 (e.g. f/2.5) doesn't really look that much faster from a marketing viewpoint. Actully, even an f/2.5 might be pushing their luck. There's no much sense in selling a Voigtländer lens that won't work well on Voigtländers.

Cheers,

R.
f1:2.5 would be fine, I’d risk an f1:2 in a crisis, as I suspect most people would.

Anyway although I understand how triangulation works and how base-length effects accuracy, I can’t actually see that difference through the VF, you see the same thing regardless of base length

Stewart McBride

You’re only young once, but one can always be immature.

flickr stuff

Slr
Old 04-14-2008   #83
fotobiblios

Slr

I agree with most of the above on RFs.

The question also referred to SLRs:

The recent Bessaflex was great and I believe Cosina probably still make (or at least designed - to be made in China or?) the same basic body (eg Nikon FM10) as the Bessa RF chassis - now selling at least in Japan under the Kenko name in Nikon, Pentax K and Contax/Yashica mounts.

It would seem to be the time to make a "multi-mount" digital body to take all those great lenses in "patent expired" mounts - Canon FD, Konica, Minolta MD, Olympus, Contax, 42mm - - not all mounts in one body but --

One production line for basic body with the standard Cosina shutter/mirror box/externals with a good quality but "no frills" digital sensor - no autofocus or live view or high speed or huge memory or big rear screen. Different mounts available and just the basic exposure automation appropriate to mount -- I believe there would be enough of a demand if you added together all the different groups of users/enthusiasts. It could even be a limited time production - as with some other Cosina ventures - an economical way to manufacture a special. I think there are enough baby boomers and others with lens collections and the money to afford a reasonable price.

Of course it would also tie in with the Cosina and Zeiss SL lens lines - increasing their sales.

Cosina did the equivalent for film cameras for many years.

I'd love full frame but I'm realistic - a Sony or Samsung 10-14MP 1.5x factor would be fine (especialy if they brought out a couple of Cosina wides in all mounts to suit). I believe much of the development cost is in good firmware - but I would hope that the sensor maker would sell a package, even if not their very latest version.

Just to show how nice some of the Kenko (Cosina?) films types can look - have any of you Nikon enthusiasts seen the Mapcamera (Japanese shop) limited edition Ai version with speeds to 1/4000, metal top plate, no name markings, price under 30,000 yen. Much more classy than the FM10.

Ah well - here's hoping - Photokina 2008 (at least under the counter).

I still use film mostly but I'd like the digital option with "manual" flavour.

Danny

Old 04-14-2008   #84
funkaoshi

.... you see the same thing regardless of base length.

If I understand things correctly, the problem is that when the camera tells you things are in focus, based on the alignment of images in the viewfinder, it may actually be off. And that relates to the base length. When the images line up in an M2, it may be off by say X millimeters, but with an R2A it may be off by Y centimeters, where Y > X.

Old 04-14-2008   #85
back alley
ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ moderator

i also like the tri skopar idea...25/35/50 would be sooo nice!

x-e1/23/56/16-50

http://crated.com/backalleyimages

Tri-Skopar...
Old 04-14-2008   #86
johnalex141r

Tri-Skopar...

Quote:
Originally Posted by back alley View Post
Ditto... even a dual Skopar, something that would allow us not to have to change lenses all the time.

JohnS.

Old 04-14-2008   #87
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkaoshi View Post

If I understand things correctly, the problem is that when the camera tells you things are in focus, based on the alignment of images in the viewfinder, it may actually be off. And that relates to the base length. .
That's exactly it. From experience, trying the 90/2 on the R-series, the focus is off as often as not -- at wide apertures, and under about 4-5 m. Personally I can't see the point of an f/2 lens where you have to hope it's in focus, possibly being tempted to risk (and lose) a shot because you're using a lens that is faster than your camera can reliably focus.

Of course it's a philosophical qiestion as well as technical, but Sparrow and I have different views on the former.

Cheers,

R.

Old 04-14-2008   #88
shadowfox
Personal Photography

Wishing for three things:

1. For 35mm RF, a collapsible Ultron 35/1.7 or 35/2

2. For 35mm SLR, a set of modern lens for M42 mount (Zeiss have them, why not Cosina? )

3. For MF, definitely a modern Bessa RF 6x9 with Heliar. This can become a new trendsetter. Just have two models, one with the standard 105mm, the other, wider at 75mm maybe?

Old 04-14-2008   #89
Athos6
Tao Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by brachal View Post
Bring back the A-type double accessory shoe! Please!
Second on the A-type double accessory shoe.

And a +1 for the working mans Noct. a 50mm 1.0 to 1.2, something like that.

Old 04-14-2008   #90
Sparrow
Stewart McBride

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkaoshi View Post

If I understand things correctly, the problem is that when the camera tells you things are in focus, based on the alignment of images in the viewfinder, it may actually be off. And that relates to the base length. When the images line up in an M2, it may be off by say X millimeters, but with an R2A it may be off by Y centimeters, where Y > X.
If the base length is A B and the point of focus is C a triangle ABC is formed, in an M2 the angle at B formed by the lines AB and BC is greater than the same angle on an R2 so mathematically it would need to be calculated to a lesser degree to achieve the same accuracy, but I can’t see that angle through the VF they both look the same to me; it only has an impact on the tolerance the manufacturer has to achieve.

Stewart McBride

You’re only young once, but one can always be immature.

flickr stuff

Ok one more
Old 04-14-2008   #91
Athos6
Tao Master

Ok one more

I also think a think MF folder or MF Rangefinder with a 3 lens kit would be cool. The folder should have a coupled rangefinder, but no meter so it wouln't need batteries. The MF rangefinder could have all the goodies, a meter and AE. I would go for a 6x9 with format masks and a 35mm panorama adapter, all of the format brightlines would be visible in the viewfinder via a selector.

Old 04-14-2008   #92
Palaeoboy
Joel Matherson

1/ A Bessa CLE with metered manual and still maintaining the 28/40/90 frameline format.

2/ An M mount version of the 40mm f2 Ultron ASPH

3/ An M Mount 18mm f4 rather than the LTM mount prototype once considered but still compact taking 39mm filters

4/ New metal 21mm finder. Or a another mini finder with 21/25 framelines.

5/ A LTM or M Mount 50mm f3.5 Macro lens like the first Micro Nikkor in S mount using the optical formula from the legendary Heliar 50mm f3.5 (And yes before someone jumps on me that macro lenses aren't suitable with rangefinders, this may be true but its my Rangefinder I usually have with me and something closer focusing like the Leica Macro Elmar would be handy especially if you could use it as your standard lens as well. Cosina has come out with many ingenious solutions like the 21mm finder in the R4, I think if they put their minds too it they could find a great rangefinder macro or close focus solution as well.)

Old 04-14-2008   #93
vha
Isn't it coffee time ?

Hopefully they don't bring anything I want
My wallet and visacard would be happy so, that said I would like a singlecoated Tessar or a Biotar lens in M mount. That would hopefully stop me from buying a Contax I in the future. A bit more seriously, a 50mm 1,2 would be really nice.

vha

Mostly 4x5, Mamiya 7II or GRD III
A green Rimowa suitcase with leftovers
A vredeborch felica for the fun
A Aero ektar (got to have one)
Think i can spot a RF645 in the pile too . . .

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My Gallery

Old 04-14-2008   #94
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
... it only has an impact on the tolerance the manufacturer has to achieve.
Dear Stewart,

Exactly.

I was doing a little consultancy work for another manufacturer a while back -- medium format, not 35mm -- and as he pointed out, significantly tightening the tolerances can put prices up so far that no-one would buy the camera. Anyone can do it; the question is what it costs.

Much easier to start out with a much longer base length that allows lower tolerances at an affordable price. Even Leica had to use a rangefinder magnifier to make a 135/2.8 tolerable.

Cheers,

R.

Old 04-14-2008   #95
Cale Arthur
---- ------

I think the time has come for a new half-frame RF. I don't care what mount, i'll find something to stick on it..

--c--

The future begins tomorrow!

Old 04-14-2008   #96
Roberto
--))=Gear Addict=((--

Quote:
Originally Posted by CameraQuest View Post

OK, everyone seems to want a digital Bessa, but that is probably not close.

Stephen
What a good news... this means we have hope..
"Probably not close" sounds like a plan!
Stephen pre-order one for me..
Rob.

Old 04-14-2008   #97
Sam N

Why a DSLR for old MF lenses? You can mount almost anything on a Canon 5D (except for Canon FD and Minolta I think). There's no way Cosina will be able to compete with Canon in this field. Cosina's strengths are finding gaps in the market.

Speaking of evil SLRs, I'd love to see some more Voigtlander lenses in EF mount with electronically controlled aperture (but metal barrels and manual focusing). There are a lot of people who don't mind focusing themselves, but who hate dealing with stop-down metering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avotius View Post
... all lenses produced should focus to .7 meter regardless as .9 is often a real barrier and the reason I didnt get the 50 nokton, 35 ultron, 50 sonnar, etc etc etc
Seconding this. I hate bumping into this sort of limitation.

Old 04-14-2008   #98
rogue_designer
Reciprocity Failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam N View Post
Why a DSLR for old MF lenses? You can mount almost anything on a Canon 5D (except for Canon FD and Minolta I think).
Now if they made a digital that could mount and use FL/FD - then I'd be very happy.

I'm still grumpy at Canon for abandoning even the hope of future support for the mount.

---
My RFF Gallery | My Flickr | StreetLevel Photography

Old 04-14-2008   #99
meven

Quote:
Originally Posted by back alley View Post

Same here, 25-35-50 would be perfect.

Flickr l Instagram

Last edited by meven : 04-14-2008 at 23:33.

Old 04-14-2008   #100
kbg32
neo-romanticist

Yes, I would love to see a set of mini finders - 15, 18, 21, 24/25, such as the 28/35.