Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Voigtlander Bessa Leica Mount Cameras

Voigtlander Bessa Leica Mount Cameras Made in Japan by Cosina in partnership with Voigtlander, the many modern Voigtlander Leica Screw Mount and Leica M mount bodies offer inexpensive and often unique options into entering the world of Leica rangefinder photography.

Old 04-15-2008   #121
Terao
Kiloran

A Bessa T2 - long baselength integrated finder/rangefinder and a range of fast lenses to go with it (50mm f/1-ish, 75mm f/1.4, 85mm f/2, 135mm f/2). Make the 85 an update of the classic Nikkor. Would be the ideal complement to the R4*

Bodies:
Nikon D700
Lenses: Nikon 50mm f/1.2 AIS, Nikon 85mm f/1.4

My Flickr gallery

Old 04-16-2008   #122
fotobiblios

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_designer View Post
Now if they made a digital that could mount and use FL/FD - then I'd be very happy.

I'm still grumpy at Canon for abandoning even the hope of future support for the mount.
also quote Sam N <Why a DSLR for old MF lenses? You can mount almost anything on a Canon 5D>

Yes Sam you can mount several types uncoupled aperture on the Canon Eos mount (at least Contax slr, Pentax K, 42 and Nikon) but this is very different from being able to use them as they were intended and as many of us from the SLR boom years of the 60s 70s 80s used them - full aperture with auto stopdown and some form of full aperture coupled metering. I can see using one special lens (eg shift or macro or extreme tele) with one of those adaptors but they're painful for regular use - and many of our generation have a cupboard full of favourite lenses we'd love to stick on a D body and use as we used to or as you'd use one of the current Cosina and Zeiss SL lenses on a Nikon -- we'd also probably buy new lenses from Cosina.

And as stated there are many favourite mounts you can't use at all - Konica AE, Minolta MD, Canon FD being just the most obvious. And yes I do know you can wedge a Konica AE on a 4/3 SLR but ---.

So -- back to using my film Hexar RF and Konica T3 and waiting for the auxiliary digi bodies - meanwhile 'film forever'.

Danny

Old 04-16-2008   #123
Athos6
Tao Master

I thougt of this while posting on a different thread, they should make a run of Nikon and a run of Contax to M-mount adapters that work well

Old 04-16-2008   #124
xayraa33
rangefinder user and fancier

the 50mm f3.5 Heliar in a non collapsable version in M mount and with an affordable price.

Old 04-16-2008   #125
David Murphy

I wish they would fill the #1 gap in rangefinder lenses now as so many have pointed out: A fast 50-58mm lens (f1.2 or faster if possible) at say $800 or less (if possible). These would fly off the shelves of dealers (I'd be the first customer). If you need evidence, just try to selling a 50/1.2 Canon lens in any shape -- buyers will nearly knock your door down to get one.

If they want to really give this a collectible edge they could make it a quasi re-creation of the Zunow or Nikkor from the 1950's and go for F1.1 with some chrome fit-and-finish, or whatever to make it pretty. I'd buy one in any rangefinder mount offered (LTM, M, Contax, or Nikon).
Canon L1, Leotax S, Bessa R2C, Konica Autoreflex T, Canon FX, Pentax Spotmatic, Minolta SRT-101, Nikon F, Exakta VX, Miranda Automex II, Leotax K3, Yashica Mat LM, Leotax S, Pen FT, Rollei 35S, Ricoh Singlex TLS

http://legacycamera.wordpress.com

Last edited by David Murphy : 04-16-2008 at 10:47.

Old 04-16-2008   #126
micromontenegro

A BabyBessa, modern and reliable succesor to the Minox 35

Old 04-16-2008   #127
David Murphy

As long as we're wishing, I think another neat production item would be a four-element collapsible 50mm LTM lens (say F2.8 or F3.5) at a low price -- say $150. Perhaps there could be a rigid version too for bodies that have problems with collapsible interferences. This could be a popular entry level lens of good modern quality. I'm sure this would sell because I know that every single similar Russian lens I've put up for sale in the last two years or so has been snapped up by beginners (my first LTM normal lens was an Industar too). There were some Russian Collapsible's sold here recently for $40-50 and they went almost immediately. Such a product could also be a gateway to bring newcomers into the hobby and perhaps lead to future Voigtlander purchases (brand loyalty thinking).
Canon L1, Leotax S, Bessa R2C, Konica Autoreflex T, Canon FX, Pentax Spotmatic, Minolta SRT-101, Nikon F, Exakta VX, Miranda Automex II, Leotax K3, Yashica Mat LM, Leotax S, Pen FT, Rollei 35S, Ricoh Singlex TLS

http://legacycamera.wordpress.com

Last edited by David Murphy : 04-16-2008 at 11:00.

Old 04-16-2008   #128
Seele
Anachronistic modernist

1. Bring back the Vito IIa... modernised with CRF.

2. Bessaflex based on the same chassis but with electronic shutter, and stopped-down metering and aperture priority automatic exposure like the Cosina Hi-Lite EC.

3. Re-manufacture the Cook & Perkins Type III adapter for using Contax lenses on Leica bodies, screw or M mount.

Old 04-16-2008   #129
Carlos Cruz

Quote:
Originally Posted by micromontenegro View Post
better copy petri color 35 preferably in black

Old 04-16-2008   #130
Palaeoboy
Joel Matherson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athos6 View Post
I thougt of this while posting on a different thread, they should make a run of Nikon and a run of Contax to M-mount adapters that work well
Ah yes I forgot to add that to my list. I would like to see a Voigtlander S to M Adapter as well!

Old 04-16-2008   #131
Aziz

I'd like to see a compact fast 28mm (under 1.5 in.). I could deal with f/2.8.

CV currently offers everything I want
Old 04-16-2008   #132
Bob Michaels
nobody special

CV currently offers everything I want

Quote:
Originally Posted by CameraQuest View Post
what NEW Voigtlander rangefinder or SLR lens would you like to see?
Stephen: I may be an oddity but Cosina currently offers everything I want.

My view is a pragmatic one, realizing that everything in optics has trade-offs. Sure I'd like a 1.4 lens the size of a 3.5 one but that is just not going to happen. I tend to view the CV and ZI offerings in tandem. All the bases are covered there from my perspective.

I went through the moaning and wailing about no new products for the ContaxG or Mamiya 7 series for years. Yet I could never find anything that was possible to build and that I actually would buy that was not there.

Old 04-16-2008   #133
mdspace

Hi Stephen,

It is very interesting for me to see many dreams of many people of this forum.

I would like a new redesigned Bessa body with no ragenfinder alignment problems in three options silver, brass black paint and olive with frames from 28-135 and strap lugs problem corrected. Another wish is an external zoom finder 35-200.

I also wish to know what new product would you like to see from Cosina-Voigtlander?

Old 04-17-2008   #134
Avotius
Some guy

Contax/nikon to M mount adapters......thats brilliant! Cosina, if you are looking....make that!

Old 04-17-2008   #135
Roberto
--))=Gear Addict=((--

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avotius View Post
Contax/nikon to M mount adapters......thats brilliant! Cosina, if you are looking....make that!
Better: LTM to Contax, so that I'll use all my CV lenses on my Kievs!

Old 04-17-2008   #136
Avotius
Some guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberto View Post
Better: LTM to Contax, so that I'll use all my CV lenses on my Kievs!
better yet, lets have both!

Old 04-17-2008   #137
Spyderman
Ondrej P.

A series of cheap external brightline viewfinders, especially for the wides. Now that the new lenses are sold without the finder, it would be nice to offer a cheaper alternative to those $200 luxury finders. All I need is to see the field of view...

Then a new batch of Bessa L's (L2 ?) with magnesium body similar to R2-4, and M mount. They could do 2 versions: L2a and L2m with electronic / mechanical shutter.

How about a "no framelines" position of the selector on R2a/m and R3a/m ? On R2 it would give an approximation of 28mm, on R3 35mm without distracting framelines in the viewfinder...

Last edited by Spyderman : 04-17-2008 at 02:48.

Old 04-17-2008   #138
rxmd
May contain traces of nut

Here's my list:

- User-serviceable rangefinder alignment on the next iteration of the Bessa R series!!

- Adapters: Contax-LTM and/or Nikon-LTM. Cosina has already proven that they can build S and C lens mounts. M mount would be fine, too, if LTM is impossible.

- Bring back more lenses in LTM mount. In recent years Cosina has produced too much M mount stuff for my taste. For me the point of Cosina lenses was to get new, good lenses for classic cameras, and for that LTM makes much more sense.

- I'm not particularly interested in having more RF lenses. If anything, give everybody the fast 50 they are clamoring for, and give Leica a run for their money.

- Last not least: More manual-focus SLR lenses!! Something like the classic Nikkor 35/1.4, for manual focus, and for Nikon, PK and Canon EF mounts. (There was a 125 Macro lens in EF mount with automatic diaphragm, so Cosina apparently either has a license for the digital protocol or has reverse engineered it.)

Old 04-17-2008   #139
L. M. Tu

Yes, how about fast (f2 or faster) 24mm, 28mm and 35mm lenses in F-mount. I'm also one of those who would like to see rugged, simple, less expensive optical finders in all the wide angle focal lengths - 15, 17, 21, 24mm, etc.

Old 04-17-2008   #140
feenej

I support the new compact rangefinder camera idea. My ideal would be the Olympus 35RC, only made with modern materials. The 35RC is the camera that I always bring since it has full manual controls, and is so small. It fits in my pocket with that tiny f2.8 lens.

Old 04-17-2008   #141
Spyderman
Ondrej P.

Quote:
- Bring back more lenses in LTM mount. In recent years Cosina has produced too much M mount stuff for my taste. For me the point of Cosina lenses was to get new, good lenses for classic cameras, and for that LTM makes much more sense.
Now that there are no LTM cameras in Voigtlander line-up, IMHO they don't want to continue producing LTM lenses and unfortunately sooner or later all Cosina-Voigtlander lenses will be M mount only...

Notice how they have replaced the small wides (which came with finder) with pancake M-mount wides (and the finder is extra!)...

Old 04-17-2008   #142
Avotius
Some guy

ps. there should be no plastic anywhere on the lenses except caps.

Old 04-17-2008   #143
xayraa33

I had been suggesting a quality Contax and Nikon rf lens mount to Leica M mount adapter for a long time.
maybe a good copy of the Orion adapter.

Old 04-17-2008   #144
xayraa33

A CV version of the Leitz Thambar soft focus portait lens would be ideal.
make it in M mount and in several SLR mounts especially the OM mount.

Last edited by xayraa33 : 04-17-2008 at 07:17.

Old 04-17-2008   #145
photophorous

I'd like to see a new manual focus SLR body...either multiple bodies for different mounts, or some kind of universal body that comes with adapters...whatever the engineers can figure out. There are tons of old manual focus SLR lenses available for Minolta, Olympus, Pentax, etc. Sure there are bodies available too, but too many of them need work and are unreliable. A compact, modern, reliable body for all these fantastic old lenses would be very nice,....kinda like the Bessa R was for old LTM lenses. I'd buy one, maybe two.

Old 04-17-2008   #146
Captain

Quote:
the 50mm f3.5 Heliar in a non collapsable version in M mount and with an affordable price.
One of these lenses just sold on Ebay for 760 USD! It wasn't even in mint condition. Paying more than the lens was new there certainly must be a market for it if they were to bring it out in another form or other.

Like that Name!
Old 04-17-2008   #147
Spider67

Like that Name!

Quote:
Originally Posted by micromontenegro View Post
It should be a compact fixed lens RF! Possibilitis for manual override.

a MF RF Folder sounds great! Does not need to have exchangable lenses

a Triskopar sound intriguing my choice 28-35-50

Old 04-17-2008   #148
Pesi

Hello that's my first post here, but I am reading for quite a while.

- I second the idea of a Tessar-typ 50mm lens (2.8/3.5). I would by this for my R3A
- Also a multi-mount digital SLR would be nice and maybe can be some kind of long-living
digital SLR. I think the target audience would accept very simple UI like raw-only, etc.
- Looking for digital. Why not provide just lenses for four/thirds. I think this is quite
interesting since cameras are small (like RF) and you have less lens-mount to film-plane
distance compared to crop-sensors in other D-SLRs.
I would appreciate Cosina providing some fast and affordable prime-lenses for this
cameras. Since currently mostly zooms are available.
Due to smaller image-circle this lenses can be even faster than their full-frame counterparts.
Why not start with some standard focal lengths like 24/35/50/85 (35mm equivalents).
-> This would make me buy some Olympus camera and the Voiglender lenses...

Thanks to Stepen for providing this opportunity,

Peter

Old 04-19-2008   #149
goforbokeh

please consider

lenses:

75mm f2 in M mount with built-in sliding felt-lined shade, in black
90mm f2.8 thin in M mount, in black

bodies:

improve and refine the film advance gears to make it silky smooth because it is rough

relocate camera strap lugs to sides for better balance.

add a knurled edge at the bottom of the take-up spool so you can advance film as you load without having to use the advance lever. this makes it faster and more reliable to load film on deadline.

Last edited by goforbokeh : 04-19-2008 at 04:32.

Old 04-19-2008   #150
itf
itchy trigger finger

Any or all of these would be fantastic:

A small m mount body a la Leitz-Minolta CL. The option of AE would be nice too. I'm not bothered about EBL. User servicable rangefinder alignment would be nice. Meter readout on the outside on the top plate.

Bessa L or T with AE. Small.

Fast 28 or 25 (f2 or faster, update of Ultron would be fine).

Please make it so!

Last edited by itf : 04-19-2008 at 05:42.

Old 04-19-2008   #151
corazon

I would like to see Cosina Voigtlander come out with Waist Level Finders, like the AUFSU (50mm frameline), the AHOOT (50mm w/ swinging 28mm frameline) and my personally most desired, the AYOOC (50mm w/ 35mm frameline) with accessory hot/cold shoe.

Other variations would be welcome too as combinations of more than one frameline together or multiple single frameline WLF’s, for example for the more stand common wide angles like 21mm, 25mm. Personally I think a 90mm WLF would be neat.

So my vote is for the above with specific focus on:

+50mm w/ 35mm Waist Level Finder
+90mm Waist Level Finder
+50/1.0-1.2
+Close focus distance of 0.7
+Someone posted earlier a modern fixed RF, f1.7, sbc ttl metering + manual override

I concur with some ideas on CV coming out with a moderm folder, tri-skopar or some sort and that CV works best as the manufacturer of the things left undone by the rest. They fill in the gap of partially neglected and potentially deep markets.

Last edited by corazon : 04-19-2008 at 08:18.

Old 04-19-2008   #152
davidpg

No one seems to have mentioned meters. I would really like a modern version of the Leica M meter, with coupling to the shutter speed dial of an M2, M3 or M4. I have one of the CV meters and like it, but I miss the shutter speed coupling, which I always thought was the perfect level of automation for me.

David

Old 04-19-2008   #153
PICHA

Hello,
I would like a SLR like the OLY OM-2000, with Leica R mount.
I'll buy two immediatly !

Old 04-19-2008   #154
Erik L

Quote:
Originally Posted by PICHA View Post
Hello,
I would like a SLR like the OLY OM-2000, with Leica R mount.
I'll buy two immediatly !
is this even technically possible due to the spacing of the lens mount?

Old 04-19-2008   #155
PICHA

Everything is possible with cosina !

Old 04-19-2008   #156
rxmd
May contain traces of nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik L View Post
is this even technically possible due to the spacing of the lens mount?
There's plenty of SLRs with Leica R mount. In fact I don't know if there's any camera with Leica R mount that's not an SLR!

Philipp

Old 04-20-2008   #157
stesm

I'd like to see improvements to the current offerings rather than totally new products. Most have been mentioned. Relocate and better secure the strap lugs, longer EBL rangefinder, frameline options and better black paint on lenses.

Old 04-20-2008   #158
sebastel
coarse art umbrascriptor

what about a "heavy duty wriststrap"?
may be an extension to the sidegrip, fixed at the tripod mount, offering rather broad and comfortable straps that wrap around hand and wrist, opening with velcro for easy "slip in/out" and still a firm secure attaching. you can let your arm/hand swing and the camera is still safe in your hand.

nikon used to have something like it ...
this one should fit bessas as well as the epson.

Old 04-23-2008   #159
Sam N

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastel View Post
what about a "heavy duty wriststrap"?
may be an extension to the sidegrip, fixed at the tripod mount, offering rather broad and comfortable straps that wrap around hand and wrist, opening with velcro for easy "slip in/out" and still a firm secure attaching. you can let your arm/hand swing and the camera is still safe in your hand.

nikon used to have something like it ...
this one should fit bessas as well as the epson.
Hakuba makes this, although I don't think they look very good on RFs. I have the KGP-01 and it works great on my SLR.
http://www.hakubausa.com/csite/c_pro...sp?cc=50&cs=50

Old 04-23-2008   #160
Krosya
Konicaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by stesm View Post
I'd like to see improvements to the current offerings rather than totally new products. Most have been mentioned. Relocate and better secure the strap lugs, longer EBL rangefinder, frameline options and better black paint on lenses.
I second these ideas - some things do need to be improved. Pain being one of them.
As far as new things - I'd like to see a fast 50mm lens, of course, same price as Nokton 35/1.2 would be fine. But it has to perform at least as well as 35/1.2 - sharpness, bokeh, character. If it's more like cv 40mm 1.4 - I wouldn't buy one.
All manual version of Zeiss Ikon/Bessa combo - i.e. Zeiss' VF and EBL in a Bessa-like body. Well made grip for it as well- would be nice.
Fast 25mm lens would be interesting.
Tri-Skopar - dont care about that one - compromise in quality and speed. Large and probably heavy. I don't mine large and heavy in a fast lens, but in a low one? Not for me. I prefer prime lenses for the best quality.
While far-fetched - I like the idea of MF camera with a killer faster lens, prefferably in a folder. Good and bright coupled VF/RF is a must. Meter is not, but would be nice.

Realistically, if Cosina could just copy Konica's - Hexar RF (2 versions - with AE and all manual), and all their lenses (Dual Hexanon is optional) at better prices, but as good optically - I'd be happy! Add 25mm 2.8 copy of Zeiss and thats really all needed for me.

Folders
:
Welta Weltur 6x6/645, Welta Weltur 6x9/645

flickr