Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > 35mm Film Range Finders > Cosina Voigtlander Bessa

Old 04-14-2008   #51
lZr
L&M

I want MF 6x6 RF camera with fixed normal lens f/2 or f/2.8
Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler. (Albert Einstein)

Old 04-14-2008   #52
rover

No more R2/R3 compromise.

I would buy the next Bessa with frameline for 35/50/75/90 with a longer EBL so that faster longer lenses can be used with ease and confidence. If you can widen the finder to add FL for 28mm I would buy two (not really, but I would be even happier).

Cosina has done wonders with the 35mm focal length, time to update and shine with new m mount 28mm and 50mm lenses.

Millennium M6TTL with Voigtlander 35/1.2 Nokton

rover's world at flickr

Old 04-14-2008   #53
KoNickon
Nick Merritt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pherdinand View Post
How about going back to the roots a bit.
A well made Bessa medium format rangefinder.
Folding or not-folding, i don't really mind (folding would make it more compact though).
Ideally with interchangeable lenses, but would be nice enough to have a 6x6 (or even 6x9) with a normal lens f/2.8-ish and one with a wide lens, say a 6x6 2ith 80mm f/2.8 (nice old Heliar or Lanthar design would do, or Planar type?) and a 6x6 with 50mm. Or a 6x9 with 100/2.8 and 55/somthing
A tele folder would also be cool, though.
Yes, a folder, with the Heliar! 6x9 with a 6x6 mask. Big, bright viewfinder/rangefinder; a meter would be great too, though it couldn't be through the lens, of course.

Old 04-14-2008   #54
KoNickon
Nick Merritt

Sorry for the duplicative post above -- I thought the first one had gotten lost.

Old 04-14-2008   #55
SteveM(PA)
Poser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmogi10 View Post
50/1

Accept no substitute
That's what I want too...a noctilux for the working slob like me.
Olympus XA, Fed 3B, Zorki 4K, Leica IIIf rdst, Nikon S, Sony RX100, OM1, Rebel T3 (with OM glass)
"The cup of tea on arrival at a country house is a thing which, as a rule, I particularly enjoy. I like the crackling logs, the shaded lights, the scent of buttered toast, the general atmosphere of leisured cosiness."
-P. G. Wodehouse

Old 04-14-2008   #56
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvdhaar View Post
I'd consider these 'want' prices as cross-over points, where affordable and sensible start to lose from prestige and perfection..
Dear Peter,

I take your point, but equally, I'd trust Kobayashi-san to sell at the best price possible that is consistent with a good product, and I don't have much faith in my (or others') ability to pluck meaningful prices out of the air.

Cheers,

R.

Old 04-14-2008   #57
kevin m

I have lots of faith in our ability to set a "no thanks, I'll pass" pricepoint, though, and at current new Leica prices that includes nearly their entire product line.

But should one feel there's $3,000 worth of performance difference between, say, a 50 Aspherical Summilux and a 50/1.5 Nokton, then it's nice to have the option.

Old 04-14-2008   #58
Nando

Bring back the collapsible Heliar 50f3.5 in M-mount please.

I would like to see a 6x9 medium format Bessa RF system with interchangeable lenses. However a MF folder would be nice too.

Fernando Gomes Semedo - flickr

Old 04-14-2008   #59
oscroft

I'd quite like an 18mm lens. When I'm out shooting wide I do often wish I had something a bit wider than my 21, but my 15 is taking it too far. In fact, I'd probably even sell my 15 to help fund an 18 (and I can't afford a Zeiss 18)

My Site..............(Colour Travel photos)
My RFF Gallery....(Selected shots)
My Flickr.............(Events, Test shoots)

Old 04-14-2008   #60
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pherdinand View Post
How about going back to the roots a bit.
A well made Bessa medium format rangefinder.
Folding or not-folding, i don't really mind (folding would make it more compact though).
Ideally with interchangeable lenses, but would be nice enough to have a 6x6 (or even 6x9) with a normal lens f/2.8-ish and one with a wide lens, say a 6x6 2ith 80mm f/2.8 (nice old Heliar or Lanthar design would do, or Planar type?) and a 6x6 with 50mm. Or a 6x9 with 100/2.8 and 55/somthing
A tele folder would also be cool, though.
Wonderful idea! Ideally doppel-klapp (like a Plaubel Makina). I'd like Linhof-format 56x72mm (10-on-120, enlarges 3x to whole plate) and I'd cheerfully live with single format in return for auto (not red window) wind-on. Preferred lens: 80/4,5 or 80/3.5 Apo-Lanthar, which should just cover the format. Alternatively an 80/2.8 would be good -- Rodenstock's 80/2.8 Heligon springs to mind.

I'd rather have two fixed-lens cameras than one interchangeable: smaller, lighter, easier to build. For the wide: sure, 50-60mm.

Cheers,

R.

Old 04-14-2008   #61
oscroft

Of the other suggestions people have made, I think I like the idea of a Tri-Skopar best (though I think my choice of focal lengths would be 25, 28, 35, if that were possible).

Old 04-14-2008   #62
Sparrow
Stewart McBride

I’d like to see them announce a compact nokton 50mm f1:1.4 in VM mount, like a stretched 40, don’t need one but I enjoy the bokeh hysteria when the faithful feel threatened.

A 50 f1:2.5 VM pancake would be nice, but that could well be in the pipline anyway, and a faster 90

Stewart McBride

You’re only young once, but one can always be immature.

flickr stuff

Old 04-14-2008   #63
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscroft View Post
I'd quite like an 18mm lens. When I'm out shooting wide I do often wish I had something a bit wider than my 21, but my 15 is taking it too far. In fact, I'd probably even sell my 15 to help fund an 18 (and I can't afford a Zeiss 18)
There was in fact an 18mm Voigtländer prototype last photokina, or the one before: tiny, like a 21. But I doubt there is room for two 18/4 lenses. My wife Frances Schultz has the 4/18 Zeiss and doesn't want to give it back: the review should be on the site later this month (it's with the webmaster), along with a review of the 4/16-18-21 Tri-Elmar.

Try the Zeiss, and you may reckon it's worth trying to find the money.

Cheers,

R.

Old 04-14-2008   #64
breathstealer

A compact 35/2 would be nice to replace the rather chunky 35/1.7, which is twice the size of the 35/1.4. I know there's the 35/2.5s, but the extra fraction of a stop is so appealing (:

More unrealistically, how about a DSLR? A full frame DSLR doesn't suffer the problems that a full frame DRF would, right? Put it in a Bessaflex body, and change the mount to be wider and (deeper/shallower) as necessary to have the maximum number of lenses adaptable to it. Then all it needs is TTL metering and maybe AE to finish off.

Old 04-14-2008   #65
Ronald_H
Don't call me Ron

What about a small fixed lens RF? Sure, our Canonets, Yashicas etc. are great, but they are getting old and have their limitations one way or another.

A fast, sharp 40mm lens. The lens in my decades old Canonet would do just fine.

More compact form factor

A good bright finder

AE + modern silicon cell meter + METERED manual override

Extended ISO range

Basically something small, to shoot film, with full manual control that will give outstanding results.

My Flickr

My regular website: www.lookupinwonder.nl

Old 04-14-2008   #66
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
A 50 f1:2.5 VM pancake would be nice, but that could well be in the pipline anyway, and a faster 90
Trouble is, you can't go a lot faster -- my 90/2 Summicron definitely stretches the Bessa's base-length too far -- and anything less than f/2 (e.g. f/2.5) doesn't really look that much faster from a marketing viewpoint. Actully, even an f/2.5 might be pushing their luck. There's no much sense in selling a Voigtländer lens that won't work well on Voigtländers.

Cheers,

R.

Old 04-14-2008   #67
mackigator

The things in this list that catch my eye are a fast 50 and a faster short telephoto along the lines of the 75mm Heliar. Of course, if Cosina puts out lenses like this they are competing head to head with Leica so...

My wish is bigger. I'd like to see Cosina own Leica. The only company of the three (Cosina, Leica, Zeiss) I see innovating and growing their market share is Cosina, and I don't think this market is big enough for three companies. With Leica unable to agree on their own corporate direction and laden with the development costs of the M8, they could easily flounder. Especially considering what inflation and a depreciating US dollar are about to do to exported German goods. So I say move the Leica boss to Japan and innovate away with well-aimed and well-priced products, additional niche markets, digital rangefinders, and the like.

The irony here is that Cosina's practical, turn a profit on each lens, listen to the market approach is exactly what will put a company like Leica out of business in the long run anyway. So again, a fast 50!

Old 04-14-2008   #68
oscroft

Quote:
There was in fact an 18mm Voigtländer prototype last photokina, or the one before: tiny, like a 21. But I doubt there is room for two 18/4 lenses. My wife Frances Schultz has the 4/18 Zeiss and doesn't want to give it back: the review should be on the site later this month (it's with the webmaster), along with a review of the 4/16-18-21 Tri-Elmar.
Ooh, a tiny 18 just like the 21 would have been wonderful - I use my super-wides when traveling, so size makes all the difference. (And I look forward to the review of the Zeiss, thanks).

Quote:
Try the Zeiss, and you may reckon it's worth trying to find the money
Hmm, not sure I could persuade anyone to lend me one

Old 04-14-2008   #69
sanmich

I would love to see some kind of LTM chrome on brass barrel small lenses (even if slow)
some new mates for our III's...
35 f/2, 50 f/3.5 90 f/4 etc.

In M-mount, a 90mm f/2

Gloire a qui n'ayant pas d'ideal sacro-saint se borne a ne pas trop emmerder ses voisins (Brassens)

My site

Old 04-14-2008   #70
oscroft

Quote:
Especially considering what inflation and a depreciating US dollar are about to do to exported German goods.
Does anyone have any idea what proportion of Leica's (and Zeiss's and Cosina's) production goes to the US, to Europe, to Asia? I'd expect quite a large proportion to go to the US - it would be interesting to know approximately how much.

Old 04-14-2008   #71
brachal
Refrigerated User

I'd like to see longer baselenght in the rangefinder.

Bring back the A-type double accessory shoe! Please!

On the pure fantasy side, how about a serious metal camera? A heavy one. Something that feels like my IIIf, or my father's old Nikkormat. A camera you'll leave to your kids and grandkids. A simple meter and mechanical shutter -- no circuit boards. Can be used to fight off bears or pound in tent stakes if necessary. A camera for war correspondants, or people who want to feel like one. That's what I'd really like!

My Gallery

Me on flickr

"Living in fear is just another way of dying before your time." DBT

Old 04-14-2008   #72
Avotius
Monster Rancher

How about some more canon ef mount lenses too?

Old 04-14-2008   #73
gavinlg

I have 2 things:

1. A compact M mount camera like the leica CL of old.
2. Ultra-Fast 50 - the working mans noctilux. Either f1 or f1.2. Even f1.1!

Old 04-14-2008   #74
rpsawin
RF Enthusiast

Stephen,

I, too, would be interested in a mf folder. Here's a thought...update the Konica Hexar RF with ttl flash.

Bob

Bob
CEO-CFO-EIEIO, Ret.

Last edited by rpsawin : 04-14-2008 at 07:18.

Old 04-14-2008   #75
BJ Bignell
Je n'aurai plus peur

I'd like to see a slightly modified R3A with:
  • Longer real baselength
  • 1:1 viewfinder with the following framelines: 35/75, 40/90, 50

It'd also be nice to see the Heliar 50/2 available in black without having to buy the R2M/R3M kit.

And, of course a full-frame digital Bessa around 10MP with the above features would be nice too.

RFF Gallery