Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Voigtlander Bessa Leica Mount Cameras

Voigtlander Bessa Leica Mount Cameras Made in Japan by Cosina in partnership with Voigtlander, the many modern Voigtlander Leica Screw Mount and Leica M mount bodies offer inexpensive and often unique options into entering the world of Leica rangefinder photography.

Old 06-18-2014   #761
Clark.EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Valdenebro View Post
A question for those who know about design, production and costs...
If someone wanted to make that camera, a 35mm lens rangefinder, would it be a good option to make it a fixed lens rf? I've always wondered why there are so few classic fixed lens rf's with 35mm lenses... Close to nothing! People are in constant need of that focal length... No matter if we already own 35's... And beyond us, lots of new, young users would pick it... And apart from sales, repairs would be needed too forever: there'd be money there...
It would be really exciting to see a Bessa with "Bessa 35" on it, or "Bessa St."...
Who else could do it? Nobody else! A small 35 2.8 or 3.5 with low distortion and with beautiful vignetting is all we need for street... It would be so lovely!
Cheers,
Juan
Yashica CC 35 1.8 Lens?
An updated Yashica CC would be nice.
Smaller Lighter maybe................

Old 06-25-2014   #762
Juan Valdenebro
Truth is beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark.EE View Post
Yashica CC 35 1.8 Lens?
An updated Yashica CC would be nice.
Smaller Lighter maybe................
Hi,
Not that it can't be used in any way, but the CC has a top ASA of 500 instead of Bessas' 3200, and a top shutter speed of 1/250th instead of Bessas' 1/2000th... As you say, an updated fixed 35mm lens rangefinder would be great, right now and for decades to come too... I guess the question is how could CV make it to be profitable and different from existent Bessas with a 35 on...
I believe a small light camera with a specialized clean, big 35 internal finder can be made...
If the finder is good and the lens is good, I guess we'd pay for it...
Cheers,
Juan

Voigtländer 90/3.5 SLII APO-Lanthar or Voigtländer SL 125/2.5 APO-Lanthar
Old 08-27-2014   #763
veraikon
xpanner

Voigtländer 90/3.5 SLII APO-Lanthar or Voigtländer SL 125/2.5 APO-Lanthar

Is there any chance for a "re-edition" of the Voigtländer 90/3.5 SLII APO-Lanthar or Voigtländer SL 125/2.5 APO-Lanthar ?

Old 08-27-2014   #764
kuuan
plays with lenses

even though here it's all about film, let me dare say what I think would make a lot of sense:
rangefinder wide angle lenses that can be well handled by digital cameras, right now above all by Sony A7 FF models.
As it is even APS-C cameras have problems, I suppose that changed lens designs could help, also for future mirrorless cams to come

Old 08-27-2014   #765
Scrambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuuan View Post
even though here it's all about film, let me dare say what I think would make a lot of sense: rangefinder wide angle lenses that can be well handled by digital cameras, right now above all by Sony A7 FF models. As it is even APS-C cameras have problems, I suppose that changed lens designs could help, also for future mirrorless cams to come
Yeah, well, maybe. It's only RF coupling which makes a rangefinder lens different to say an SLR lens. But being able to keep the lens elements close to the image plane is what makes RF wides as well-corrected as they are. If you are using wides on the a7, go for SLR lenses. Same for the APS-C cams if you are picky. You don't need the RF cam compatibility. A small, well corrected wide angle lens that doesn't vignette or colour cast on a standard FF digital... good luck. Leica took the other option: make the camera work with the lenses.

Old 08-27-2014   #766
Mojo

Reissue the double shoe adapter.

Old 12-17-2014   #767
froyd

Some lower contrast versions for their Skopar line. If Leica can make money selling the M A, then CV should get on the bandwagon with new issue "old character lenses".

Old 01-28-2015   #768
ernesto

I was really surprised to see the close focus adapter VM to E mount. It was really a good idea.
E mount seems to be ideal because of its short distance to the film/sensor plane.
I would love someting similar with shifting capability for architecture.

Ernesto

Old 01-28-2015   #769
WJJ3

90mm APO Lanthar re-issued in M mount with 0.9m close focus (like the new 90mm Summarit). Keep the 39mm filter thread.

Please!

Old 01-28-2015   #770
thegman

Maybe a nice weather sealed camera, fixed lens RF, SLR, even scale focus, not too fussy what. Maybe something like a Rollei 35, but weather sealed, even actually *waterproof* would be great.

Old 02-01-2015   #771
Skiff

The Voigtländer Macro Apo-Lanthar 2,5/125 SL was probably the best lens ever offered under the Voigtländer (produced by Cosina) brand.
An outstanding lens, in optical and mechnical terms.

But re-introducing it would not make so much sense economically, because it then would directly compete to the Zeiss Makro-Planar 2/100 and Zeiss Apo-Sonnar 2/135 (which are also both absolutely outstanding, and also both produced by Cosina).

But there is a market gap: 180 / 200mm focal length.
A Voigtländer APO-Lanthar 2,8/200 SL II, but on the same quality level as the former 2,5/125 Apo-Lanthar would be great!!
This lens could fill a market gap.
It would have no direct competitor from the Zeiss line.

Such a lens I would buy immediately!!!

Old 02-02-2015   #772
JChrome
Street Worker

I already replied but wanted to add another item to my list of dreams:

A Large Format rangefinder shooting 4x5 with interchangeable lenses (no bellows).

I love my GW690 but I want the 4x5!

Old 02-02-2015   #773
rogazilla
Level 2 Newb

Is it possible for a digital body like Ricoh GR (size and simple control) but with M mount? Focus peaking or dual pixle sensor like what Fuji did in X100s(t) EVF split image focus assist?
I can settle for APSC in this case. I know the argument of just go buy a fuji X system. I think if taking out the focusing and other AF part that's in the EVF might make it cheaper or be able to make the camera smaller... obviously I am no expert but the idea works good in my head :-D

Old 02-02-2015   #774
rogazilla
Level 2 Newb

follow my thought above... maybe VC's own system and lenses to match such body but you don't need the rangefinder mechanism maybe be able to make even more compact lenses?

Old 02-11-2015   #775
dacaccia
A7S+X100T_TCL+GM5+R3a

I loved my RD-1 which unforntuately I had then sold for an M8 ... M8 was not better, it only was Leica. ... and acutally, Leica M's getting more and more expensive, it would be the right time for Voigtlaender/Cosina - or for Zeiss! - to produce a rangefinder cam like RD1. Preferably in FF ... but also APS-C would do, but in this case with own lenses. I am sure they would sell quite well!

Old 02-11-2015   #776
michaelwj
----------------

I'd like to see some constency in design and production (not quality but longevity).

-We have different focus ring shapes, scalloped, ribbed, aperture tabs, no aperture tabs. I understand that some lenses respect a tradition, but it makes it harder than it should be to make a set of lenses with a similar feel. The Leica and especially ZM lines win hands down here, and there's no reason Voigtlander can't be the same.

-It frustrates me no end that products just fall out of production and are never replaced. Take the 2.5/50 for instance. It would complement the 2.5/35 (which I have and love) very nicely, but it is out of production with no follow up. Why? This seemingly random production doesn't give me the faith I want when building a set of lenses. How about a 90? Nothing anymore.

I like to have a set of lenses that have the same ergonomics. I can't afford to get them all at once. Put those two together, and although the price of the Voigtlander lenses is excellent, they just seem to make it hard to achieve my goal. Zeiss don't, they all feel the same, share a few filter sizes, and generally feel like they were designed to use as a set (we'll see if the 18 is replaced). Leica to a lesser extent are there too (at least within generations)

Thats just my 2c. I think they need some constancy.

So for what products I'd like to see;
The 3.5/90 back, the 2.5/50 back, the 2.5/28 back, and some design consistency in their new products.

Old 03-05-2015   #777
HHPhoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiff View Post
The Voigtländer Macro Apo-Lanthar 2,5/125 SL was probably the best lens ever offered under the Voigtländer (produced by Cosina) brand.
An outstanding lens, in optical and mechnical terms.

But re-introducing it would not make so much sense economically, because it then would directly compete to the Zeiss Makro-Planar 2/100 and Zeiss Apo-Sonnar 2/135 (which are also both absolutely outstanding, and also both produced by Cosina).

But there is a market gap: 180 / 200mm focal length.
A Voigtländer APO-Lanthar 2,8/200 SL II, but on the same quality level as the former 2,5/125 Apo-Lanthar would be great!!
This lens could fill a market gap.
It would have no direct competitor from the Zeiss line.

Such a lens I would buy immediately!!!
+1.
Excellent idea!
That would really be a wonderful lens filling a market gap.
Such a lens I would buy, too.

Cheers, Jan

Old 03-18-2015   #778
Chrisrw
photomonkey

I'd love to have the nice people at CV meet the nice people at Sigma for a long weekend to make little Bessa babies with Foveon sensors. And begin production again of all the great lenses that CV stopped producing.

Old 03-18-2015   #779
Jerevan
Recycled User

The Color-Skopar 50/2.5 - ltm or M, with the same size, just a reissue. Lately the Voigtländers have been getting fat and clumsy ... trim the waistline!

Old 03-18-2015   #780
kossi008
Photon Counter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerevan View Post
The Color-Skopar 50/2.5 - ltm or M, with the same size, just a reissue. Lately the Voigtländers have been getting fat and clumsy ... trim the waistline!
Yes! Same for the 28/3.5! That and the above-mentioned 50/2.5 would be my absolute light-and-tiny dream combo!

And please issue everything in black and chrome, while you're at it... (now positively dreaming)...

Old 03-19-2015   #781
Bille

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisrw View Post
And begin production again of all the great lenses that CV stopped producing.
Which ones exactly?

Old 03-19-2015   #782
Matus

EDIT: post removed by myself (wrong topic). Sorry.
... per camera: Olympus XA , Jupiter J3 , Rolleiflex T, Mamiya 6, Ricoh GRDIII shots

Old 03-19-2015   #783
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

Quote:
I'd love to have the nice people at CV meet the nice people at Sigma for a long weekend to make little Bessa babies with Foveon sensors. And begin production again of all the great lenses that CV stopped producing.
Having this digital RF with their modern lenses is much more desirable for me comparing to digital Leica.

Old 03-19-2015   #784
Livesteamer

I carry a IIIc everyday with its little 50mm Elmar. I have often wished for a lens the size of the little Elmar but faster. The Summitar and Summicron are not much smaller than my Nikkor 50mm f2.0. Small and fast, that's not too much to ask is it? Joe

Old 03-19-2015   #785
Chrisrw
photomonkey

Billy...
Quote:
And begin production again of all the great lenses that CV stopped producing.
Which ones exactly?

I have limited experience, but the often requested Skopar 50/2.5 is one. The heliar 50/2 and 50/3.5 collapsable I believe were limited runs, all of which I've heard great things about. Oh, and the screw mount 75/2.5.
I am lucky enough to have just received a LN 50/2.5 yesterday. But they're hard to find.

If wishes were horses...
Old 05-16-2015   #786
lensjunkie

If wishes were horses...

All right Voigtlander. Let's talk turkey. There are two products I'd love to see pop up.

First, I'd love CV (or someone!) to produce a reasonably compact hot shoe mount spot meter. I purchased another member's monochrom and I am relearning exposure. A spot meter that I wouldn't have to release my camera to use would be very useful and very helpful.

Second, I'd love to see CV take their superb 35mm f1.2 designs, and adapt them into a super fast 28mm lens. They did it with the 21mm focal length. If they could achieve similar image quality, I'd snatch one up and never let it go.

Ok, Santa. That's the end of my letter. Enjoy the cookies and milk.

Edit: I'd also love to see CV adopt codeable lens mounts on their lenses. Digital leicas are becoming more prevalent with every model.

Old 05-16-2015   #787
nickthetasmaniac

VM 90mm f2.5 or thereabouts. Nice, compact and <$1000AUD - a modern companion for my 'fat' Tele-Elmarit
We abandon them daily in the wasteland of the past. Because even though I have told you that I am walking to remember, this isn’t completely true - we must embark also on journeys of forgetting. - Paul Salopek

Olympus EM5 | Ricoh GR | Pentax MX | Leica M2
walking | photography | travel
Instagram @other_strange_creatures

Old 07-12-2015   #788
mint

I like the nico's idea (posted on 11-13-2008 #277) of an affordable panoramic camera using 135 film such as xpan, but have mechanical shutter.

Old 07-15-2015   #789
chathaway

Ummm...35 1.7 M mount Ultron. You know, the one promised from Sept of last year.

Tri-skopar
Old 09-21-2015   #790
anerjee

Tri-skopar

I wish: Tr-Skopar 25-35-50mm f/4

With the ability to shoot at high ISOs, an f/4 lens in not a problem. Also note the gradual acceptance of bigger lens as "normal", including some of Cosina's latest offerings (35mm f/1.7)

I think a tri-skopar priced at about $1000 would be awesome!

Old 09-21-2015   #791
nektar

Reissue the CV 28/3.5. Simple enough, no?

Old 09-21-2015   #792
Rayt

I would like to see a range of tiny lenses maybe f3.5 that are single coated medium in contrast with good handling like the current Summarits, in a heavy brass mount and tabbed ala 50/2.5 Color Skopar.

Digital Bessa Arch
Old 5 Days Ago   #793
ernesto

Digital Bessa Arch

Well the Digital Bessa is an old dream, and Cosina is probably working on something like that. But Sony with the A7 and even all the Nex line had advanced so much that it is difficult to think what could be done with Cosina Technology that could surpass any of those models...

Cosina / Voightlander have never produced such a huge quantities as Sony or other brands, so their difference is that: A smaller market.

That could be a disadvantage for many, but it could be turned into an advantage: Sony have to satisfy a massive target, so their designs are focused to that mass market, and they cannot focus on specific professional needs, but on popular needs only.

For instance considering this, and the great ability of Cosina Voightlander in fine mechanics craftsmanship (which is being dissapearing in the plastic era of other brands) they could focus on products for specific markets that would surpass the available designs, and position the brand on top of the best.

I had come with one idea, which I am sure it is not the greatest idea, but it will give a view of how to produce a product that could compite with the main camera monsters and win them in certain field!

Here the proposal for a Digital Bessa Arch:

This is a professional camera for architecture. It will surpass all the existing camera models because of its unique characteristic: A Shifting sensor, to manipulate perspective, taking the best from the unique Wide Angle Professional Collection of Voightlander Lens in VM mount: The equipment will be completed with the 10mm the 12mm the 15mm and a 21mm lens.

It should be a sturdy metalic Bessa body with a digital viewfinder (no back LCD screen) and simple functions. No apps that make special effects nor photo style modes, nor stitching panoramas and so) Manual and programed modes. It would use an APS (24x16mm) sensor and VM mount. The characteristic that will make the diference would be the precision Shifting sensor in vertical axis and or horizontal axis. The mechanism should be mechanical as in a view camera. Since the sensor covers only a part of the full frame, there will be plenty of space for perspective correction.
A 24 MP sensor would be enough since all the resolution will be used in the final image after perspective correction.

This will be a camera that will not need to be produced in the quantities of Sony NEX and that could never be produced by Sony, but it could be produced by Voightlander to position the brand at the top of the available technology for professionals focused in Architectural Photography which is a smaller market.

Ernesto