Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Miscellaneous Topics and more > Repair / Camera Care

Repair / Camera Care This is a good place to discuss the care and repair of your photo gear. You can share Do-It-Yourself repair and maintenance, as well as your recommendations for pro repairs. This new forum was created 4/1/07. PLEASE title your thread wisely, so others searching for a certain make of camera or repair person can find your thread easily!

de-smelling old camera's
Old 02-26-2008   #1
Disaster_Area
Gadget Monger

de-smelling old camera's

anyone have any tips on getting the smell of smoke/musk/oldcamerasmell out of older camera's. I picked up a Rolliecord in great shape but its got old camera smell.. and maybe a hint of smoke. Any of you have tried and true methods for de-funkifying a camera.. its not really that bad of a smell.. but its enough that I notice it when I'm bending over the focusing screen.

Old 02-26-2008   #2
dazedgonebye

I don't guess I'd care for smoke, but just today, having received a "new" old camera, I just sat for a moment and enjoyed the familiar smell.
It's sort of an olfactory version of "comfort food."

"And I know now that the cure for my childhood was not to be looked after, as I once believed; it was to look after someone else." ~Philip Norman

Photography Blog
Flickr
Twitter

Old 02-26-2008   #3
OldNick

You might seal it in a bag with a vented box of baking soda. Soda is good at absorbing smells.

Jim N.

Old 02-26-2008   #4
foggie
the foggiest

vinegar is great at removing smells. Maybe you want to give your camera vinegar sponge bath if you don't think it's too harsh on the finish. You could even leave the camera next to a small bowl of it overnight. I do it to remove smells from closets and cupboards.

Old 02-26-2008   #5
cole

You will need two wings of a bat, 75 grams of finely grated herring, one boiled newt, and a jar of Cheez Wiz. Combine the ingredients, soak the camera in the mixture, and perform a two-hour chant over the whole mess of it while playing Pink Floyd's 'Dark Side of the Moon' backwards. Works like a charm.

In all seriousness, though, I'd love to know if anyone has any tricks for this as well. I've never been a fan of 'old camera smell.'

Old 02-26-2008   #6
sakebalboa

i know with my leica the smell was the vulcanite, was a smoky, rubber cement kind of funk. anyway the vulcanite cracked and i replaced it with some leatherette and the smell is gone now, not even a trace. i kind of miss it.

Old 02-26-2008   #7
bmattock
Lord of Broken Toys

Bring on the funk. We want the funk. Oh, we need the funk. Gotta have the funk.

Old 02-26-2008   #8
literiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disaster_Area
anyone have any tips on getting the smell of smoke/musk/oldcamerasmell out of older camera's. I picked up a Rolliecord in great shape but its got old camera smell.. and maybe a hint of smoke. Any of you have tried and true methods for de-funkifying a camera.. its not really that bad of a smell.. but its enough that I notice it when I'm bending over the focusing screen.
This will work:

For the leather- dampen with hydrogen peroxide, this kills mold. When it is dry rub a bit of black, or clear shoe polish on the leather. I've used a product called "Tana" which is a "shoe cream"

For the metal-wipe exterior with a cloth dampened with isopropyl alcohol, this will remove any nicotine residue.

This will sound odd but try this as well after the above. Wrap the camera carefully in a clean cotton cloth. Place wrapped camera in a plastic bag filled with about two tablespoons of fresh ground coffee. Leave it for a day or so.

Old 02-26-2008   #9
lewis44

www.cameraleather.com

Old 02-26-2008   #10
cole

Literiter - nice idea on the coffee ground. Isn't that burned at crime scenes to take away the smell? Or have I just been watching too many movies?

Old 02-26-2008   #11
Disaster_Area
Gadget Monger

I'll try the coffee grounds tonight (as its the only one of the above ingredients I have on me) And I think I'll definatly be getting it recovered a la cameraleather.com.. now what colour... my head says Levant or Black Beauty leather.. but my heart wants to scream RED SNAKE SKIN!!!!... or maybe black lizard.

Old 02-26-2008   #12
Bryce

Someone I know used to work for Servicemaster, a company that specializes in recovery of buildings and property after disasters like fire or flooding.
They had what was called the "ozone room" and would put stinky things in there. Worked very effectively to remove odors generally and specifically smokey smells.
Maybe getting ahold of a similar company and leaving the offending camera in their care for a day or three?

Old 02-26-2008   #13
dazedgonebye

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmattock
I never figured you for a George Clinton fan.

"And I know now that the cure for my childhood was not to be looked after, as I once believed; it was to look after someone else." ~Philip Norman

Photography Blog
Flickr
Twitter

Old 02-26-2008   #14
TheHub

Good suggestions, I'll try the baking powder (I hate coffee.) I've got an M3 that smells like smoke and an XA that smells like old medicine for some reason

For the most part though, I like old camera smell. It gives it character and helps me concentrate.

Old 02-27-2008   #15
Ken Ford
Refuses to suffer fools

Think outside the box!

M6 - Leicavit M - RapidWinder - Motor M
28 Ultron - 35 Summicron ASPH - 40 Summicron - 75 Summarit-M - 75 Color-Heliar - 90 Elmar-C
X100s, NEX-7, N1V1, oodles of filthy Nikon SLRs and DSLRs, some OM gear, an XA, Retinas, a 4x5 and a lonely 500C/M

Old 02-27-2008   #16
Spider67

I second the idea using vinegar.....on the other side mold might produce hallucinogenic effects.....

Old 02-27-2008   #17
OldNick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHub
Good suggestions, I'll try the baking powder (I hate coffee.) I've got an M3 that smells like smoke and an XA that smells like old medicine for some reason

For the most part though, I like old camera smell. It gives it character and helps me concentrate.
The suggestion was to use BAKING SODA, not baking powder.

Jim N.

Old 02-27-2008   #18
D.O'K.
Darren O'Keeffe.

I'll second the sunlight and ventilation method: a few days of (breezy) fresh air worked wonders with a couple of pungent old cameras and cases I acquired.

(Just remember to protect them from the rain...)

D.O'K.

Old 02-27-2008   #19
sienarot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmattock
Haha, jeez, I almost spit up my drink when I read this

flickr :: Website

Old 02-27-2008   #20
btgc

I can second baking soda, and mention papers - which I read here on RFF. After receiving my first SLR it appeared to be owned by smoker, very hard smoker. I wrapped camera in papers and changed them each 12 hours. Can't say for sure how many cycles I went through, but now it's OK. Air baths shooting outdoors after wrapping seem to help too.
As for "old camera smell", my Lynx 5000 has that and makes me emotional about this camera, alongside with how it operates.

Old 02-27-2008   #21
FallisPhoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider67
I second the idea using vinegar.....on the other side mold might produce hallucinogenic effects.....
Not unless it is ergot.

Old 02-27-2008   #22
FallisPhoto

Quote:
Dabbing it with hydrogen peroxide will kill the mold and cut the smell a lot. I know, since I just bought a monorail view camera that came with a fabric-lined case that had really severe mold and mildew problems. It could stink up a whole room in mere seconds, and that's no exaggeration. It reeked. However, it won't get rid of the smell entirely (because there will still be some now-thoroughly-dead mold trapped in the leather), and it won't do anything about the smoky smell. I used a whole quart of HP in that case, and I can still smell it, but now I have to stick my head in there to do so. A good wipe down with denatured alcohol will get rid of most of the smoke smell, assuming you are talking about cigarette smoke. The tobacco smoke smell is due to tar deposited on the camera and alcohol is a good solvent for that.

Old 02-27-2008   #23
FallisPhoto

Quote:
I'll try the coffee grounds tonight (as its the only one of the above ingredients I have on me) And I think I'll definatly be getting it recovered a la cameraleather.com.. now what colour... my head says Levant or Black Beauty leather.. but my heart wants to scream RED SNAKE SKIN!!!!... or maybe black lizard.
I wouldn't go with the snake skin, in any color. It is delicate and will start looking ragged in a year or two (yeah, I tried it) and, although it makes great photos, it doesn't look that good to start off with when you're looking at it in person. The lizard is much better if you are going to go exotic. I can vouch for the Black Beauty and Levant being good for cameras, athough I get mine from a different source and cut and glue it myself.

Old 02-28-2008   #24
Disaster_Area
Gadget Monger

Thanks for the tip about the snake skin.. I was kinda worried about what the durability would be like.

Old 03-01-2008   #25
FallisPhoto

Quote:
Thanks for the tip about the snake skin.. I was kinda worried about what the durability would be like.
Paradise snakeskin (the red stuff) is only about as thick as a sheet of writing paper and it is pretty fragile. The stuff they sell is glued to a slightly thicker backing made of other leather.