Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > 35mm Film Range Finders > Leica M -- Konica RF

Leica M -- Konica RF This forum is about the Konica RF, Konica' s idea of what a M camera should be.

Future Birthday Present
Old 01-11-2008   #1
amateriat
We're all light!

Future Birthday Present

Today's my birthday (cut to obigatory Beatles track), and while I haven't nade up my mind about a gift for galfriend to give (dinner's pretty much settled: a full rack of baby back ribs at NoNo Kitchen, a great N'awlins place around the corner from us), it'll be something relatively modest (well, maybe...a brick of favorite film would be nice). Meanwhile, I'm thinking of putting together a little fund for something I've thought about for a while, namely a Konica M-Hex "dualie" (17-35). The problem, of course, is that when there's no money, these things pop up like chipmunks in late spring; on the (rare) occasion that money is in place, there's nothing in sight. There's only about 900 or so of them, but I'm hoping that, by this time next year (who knows, maybe sooner if cashflow allows), a lens might just stroll along.

Anyhow, just for fun, anyone here have examples of what they've done with one of these, at both focal lengths?

- Barrett

"Print 'em both, kid." -
Frank "Cancie" Cancellare, to a UPI courier, after tossing a 20-exposure roll of film to him.

Here, a Gallery.

Old 01-11-2008   #2
Pherdinand
5000 & call it a day!

I can't - but i can wish you a happy birthday

Old 01-11-2008   #3
ferider

Happy Birthday !

Somwhere in the past, I believe Dante tested it and published on RFF. Send him a PM. Best,

Roland.

Old 01-11-2008   #4
amateriat
We're all light!

I think Raid has this lens, as well as a few others here (didn't know Dante did a test on it here), so I'm looking to seemore in-the-field stuff. I've been cautious about adding a fourth lens to my setup, wishing to avoid System Creep (this is why I did away with my SLR system, after all), but this lens seems a special case, and I would love to go well beyond 28mm once in a while (and have a 35mm focal length handy as well, since I don't have a 35 at presentt.

And...thanks for the b'day greetings!

- Barrett

"Print 'em both, kid." -
Frank "Cancie" Cancellare, to a UPI courier, after tossing a 20-exposure roll of film to him.

Here, a Gallery.

Old 01-11-2008   #5
ferider

Found Dante's thread, Barrett:

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...ad.php?t=48843

Cheers,

Roland.

Old 01-11-2008   #6
amateriat
We're all light!

Good on ya, Roland...thanks!

- Barrett

"Print 'em both, kid." -

Here, a Gallery.

Old 01-11-2008   #7
RayPA
Ignore It (It'll go away)

I'm pretty much a M-Hex completist, but I just can't seem to get up the GAS for the dualie. A few members here have had one (Ausdlk comes to mind). I recently succumbed to Hexanon GAS, the 35 UC. Maybe you'll want to chase one of those instead, or the limited edition 50/1.2 lenses, or ....

Happy Birthday, Barrett!
I'm ~quinine~ on Flickr
blogged

Old 01-11-2008   #8
amateriat
We're all light!

Thanks, Ray.

I thought about getting a 35, and considered everything from Konica's own M-Hex f/2 (hard to find, pricey when you do), to CV's f/2.5 pancake, to their f/1.2 Dreadnought-class number. The thing is, I use my 28 a bit too much to add a 35 that doesn't have much else up its sleeve, so to speak. (And, yes, I've considered a CV ultrawide as well.) The M-Hex dualie hits an awfully nice sweet spot in terms of usability, at a price that's certainly higher than almost any of the above, but within reason. (Until, of course, the M8 crowd starts licking their chops...)

- Barrett

"Print 'em both, kid." -

Here, a Gallery.

Old 01-11-2008   #9
RayPA
Ignore It (It'll go away)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amateriat
The M-Hex dualie hits an awfully nice sweet spot in terms of usability, at a price that's certainly higher than almost any of the above, but within reason. (Until, of course, the M8 crowd starts licking their chops...)

- Barrett
When you're smitten, you're smitten! Actually, when you consider that you get two lenses in one package, you're right about the usability, and about the M8 crowd (looking to keep dust off the sensor). Good luck on your search. I'll keep my eyes peeled.

I'm ~quinine~ on Flickr
blogged

Old 01-12-2008   #10
Hacker
黑客

Happy Birthday. Go get yourself a new one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Konica-21mm-...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 01-12-2008   #11
Krosya
Konicaze

Happy B-Day!. As far as this dual lens goes - while a cool idea - way too slow for my taste. I think I have the same set up as you - 28-50-90 Hexanons and really don't think I need much else. Maybe one of those exotic 50-60/1.2 lenses. But thats all.
Have fun !

Folders
:
Welta Weltur 6x6/645, Welta Weltur 6x9/645

flickr

Old 01-12-2008   #12
SolaresLarrave
My M5s need red dots!

Happy Birthday, Barret! This is all I can do for you now... as the only Konica I have is the one you're not quite interested on (understandably): the Hexanon 35/f2.

If I were in your shoes, I'd assemble my funds for the dualie and wait to have a postponed birthday gift. About availability, I saw two creep out in the auction site during the last few days, but their pricing was a tad high (not as high as the Tri-Elmar). At least, I intend to feast on a fast 50 or really fast 35 for my birthday in September... but it may take a while.

Again, happy birthday and enjoy your dinner!
My Nikon D700 Neophyte's Guide
No longer selling any Nikon SLR glass...

Old 01-12-2008   #13
amateriat
We're all light!

Yep, checked out that new dualie on the 'Bay...yowsa! I expected prices around two grand, but pushing 3k...?

(Of course, my 28 M-Hex is going for silly-money these days, too.)

With the premiums on good, wide M glass, we'd all better hope for a FF M9, and soon.

- Barrett

"Print 'em both, kid." -

Here, a Gallery.