Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > 35mm Film Range Finders > Zeiss Ikon ZM

Zeiss Ikon ZM This is for the current production Leica M mount Zeiss Ikon camera and lenses.

Zeiss Ikon Data
Old 05-16-2013   #1
Gardner Hamilton

Zeiss Ikon Data

hey all, Im new here so i hope this is in the appropriate section. I am shopping possibly for a Zeiss Ikon, the newest model and wondered if anyone has pros cons or can link me to a good solid review somewhere. many thanks.

Old 05-16-2013   #2
bojanfurst

Google is you friend. Here is something to get you started: http://theonlinephotographer.typepad...er/zeiss-.html

For what it's worth, I love mine. It's solidly built, it has a superb lens lineup, and it has the best viewfinder ever put on a camera. It's a tool. It won't make you into a better photographer, but it's sure as heck fun to work with. The rangefinder patch might take a little bit of time to get used to and the shutter speed indicator may be a bit hard to read in bright sunshine. Then again, I live in Newfoundland so bright sunshine is not exactly my problem
twitter
Web

Old 05-16-2013   #3
Pioneer

A great little camera. Has a great viewfinder which does not flare, the rangefinder is extremely accurate, has easy film loading with a film window to see what film you have loaded, uses all the great Zeiss and Leica lenses, has aperture priority exposure with easy exposure compensation, the shutter curtains are vertically running metal blades which do not get holes burned in them. I mean, what is not too like?

In my opinion I can't think of much in the way of downsides. The rewind is on the bottom of the camera instead of the top. Not that big of a deal, you get used to it pretty quick. The shutter is not quite as quiet as the one on the Leica. This is true but the only one who can really tell is the guy holding the camera. If you are more then 2 feet away it is very, very hard to hear the shutter anyway. It is not quite as heavy as the Leica so for some it does not feel like it is built as solid. Personally I appreciate the fact that the camera is a bit lighter. The shutter is electronic and depends on batteries. This is true so if this bothers you then you probably don't want this camera. On the positive side, the electronic shutter is very accurate, more so than a mechanical one.

Buy one and enjoy it.

"My 2nd 10,000 Are Not A Lot Better"
Dan

Old 05-16-2013   #4
Pioneer

Oh yeah...the shutter readout in the viewfinder is hard to read in bright sunlight. I almost always carry a handheld meter anyway so this is not a huge problem for me, and you can always turn to aperture priority for those few situations when it might be a problem.

"My 2nd 10,000 Are Not A Lot Better"
Dan