Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Bigger than 35 RF's > 120 RF Folders

120 RF Folders 120/220 Format Folding Rangefinders, including the various classic Zeiss Ikontas, Voigtlander Bessas, and their Ruskie copies.

what are the best MF folders with coupled rangefinders and "auto"film advance
Old 11-08-2007   #1
elaydad

what are the best MF folders with coupled rangefinders and "auto"film advance

what are the best MF folders with coupled rangefinders and "auto"film advance . thanks

Old 11-08-2007   #2
furcafe

I believe the general consensus is that the Zeiss Ikon Super Ikontas & Agfa Super Isolettes (a.k.a. Ansco Super Speedexes) are the "best" overall in terms of lens performance, etc. Not sure what you mean by "auto" film advance, but AFAIK the Super Isolettes are the only ones w/true Rolleiflex Automat-style loading, i.e., no need to use a red window or even line up the double-arrow on the film, just get the film started on the take-up spool, close the back, & wind on until the advance stops (camera makes little holes in the film & "counts" them to bring the 1st frame up).

Quote:
Originally Posted by elaydad
what are the best MF folders with coupled rangefinders and "auto"film advance . thanks
Five a Second. Chicago's Bell & Howell Co. (cameras) announced that it would put on sale this fall the world's most expensive still camera. Its "Foton" will take five 35-mm. pictures a second, sell for $700. Bell & Howell, which has found that "families of both low and high incomes now spend over $550" for movie equipment, hopes to sell 20,000 Fotons a year.

--Facts And Figures, Time magazine, Monday, October 4, 1948
My Photoblog

My Flickr stream

My RFF Gallery

Last edited by furcafe : 11-08-2007 at 10:46.

Old 11-08-2007   #3
FrankS

Once the original bellows is replaced on the Fuji GS645, I believe it is the best. I had a Zeiss super ikonta, but it is just too heavy to have the folding to a compact size ability to be of benefit.

Old 11-08-2007   #4
shadowfox
Personal Photography

What furcafe said. Those are not cheap and quite rare, and, as I found out later, those features are not key to enjoying MF folders.

Old 11-08-2007   #5
furcafe

My mistake in forgetting about the GS645. It's definitely the most modern folder (Fuji later made an autofocus version) w/a great lens & certainly a wonderful option if you like the vertical 645 format. Can't think of many other modern MF folders @ all except the rare & expensive Plaubel Makinas (which are really collapsible, not folders, like the Mamiya 6, etc.). As far as the Super Ikontas being heavy, the later models (III & IV) were considerably lighter, but they were only in 6x6 format.

For a good overview of the many classic folders, you might want to visit Jurgen Kreckel's web site:

http://www.certo6.com/cameras.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankS
Once the original bellows is replaced on the Fuji GS645, I believe it is the best. I had a Zeiss super ikonta, but it is just too heavy to have the folding to a compact size ability to be of benefit.
Five a Second. Chicago's Bell & Howell Co. (cameras) announced that it would put on sale this fall the world's most expensive still camera. Its "Foton" will take five 35-mm. pictures a second, sell for $700. Bell & Howell, which has found that "families of both low and high incomes now spend over $550" for movie equipment, hopes to sell 20,000 Fotons a year.

My Photoblog

My Flickr stream

My RFF Gallery

Last edited by furcafe : 11-08-2007 at 12:26.

Old 11-08-2007   #6
KoNickon
Nick Merritt

Yes, in terms of "auto" film advance, I'm thinking the only ones that would fit the bill are the late autofocus, auto advance Fujis.

Old 11-08-2007   #7
FrankS

I think that by "auto" film advance the org. poster meant that the shutter cocking and film advance are coupled.

Old 11-08-2007   #8
Finder
-

The best is the Mamiya 6 and Mamiya 6MF.

Old 11-08-2007   #9
cmedin

If we're going to count the Mamiya 6 I'd like to toss the GA645 in there too. Neither is really a folder, but the lenses collapse.

Old 11-08-2007   #10
elaydad

sorry ment

Old 11-08-2007   #11
elaydad

sorry by auto film advance , I meant no need to use the red window,I have an old ZI super A with coated lens great pictures but sooo slow and I have a hard time seeing the numbers in the red window, again thants all

Old 11-08-2007   #12
Abbazz
6x9 and be there!

Quote:
sorry by auto film advance , I meant no need to use the red window,I have an old ZI super A with coated lens great pictures but sooo slow and I have a hard time seeing the numbers in the red window, again thants all
I think the Mamiya Six Automat is the most advanced of all classic folders (excluding the Fuji GS645). It has coupled film advance and shutter cocking, so there is no need to cock the shutter on the lens after winding the film. One just loads the film and align it with a mark, then the film advance mechanism automatically stops for each exposure when the right amount of film has been wound. There is also an auto resetting exposure counter. There is a red window as well, but it would only be needed in case of the film advance mechanism not working properly.

The lens on my sample is a very good Mamiya-Sekor 75/3.5, which is coated. There is also a coupled rangefinder. Rather uniquely, focusing is achieved by moving the film plane and not the lens. Truly a superb camera!

Here's a picture of this little known camera:

The film advance knob with exposure counter:

The film guides/film pressure plate assembly moves back and forth when focusing:

Cheers!

Abbazz

The 6x9 Photography Online Resource

Last edited by Abbazz : 11-08-2007 at 23:00.

Old 11-08-2007   #13
elaydad

the mamiya six looks very impressive is the mamiya lens better than the older olympus zuiko , how accurate is the "odd" focusing system and any problem loading film? thank you Abbazz

LUX ET VERITAS

Old 11-08-2007   #14
Abbazz
6x9 and be there!

Quote:
the mamiya six looks very impressive is the mamiya lens better than the older olympus zuiko , how accurate is the "odd" focusing system and any problem loading film? thank you Abbazz
You're welcome.

This film plane focusing system is very accurate and much sturdier than other systems relying on delicate folding cams to transmit lens movement to the rangefinder (like the Bessa II or Super Isolette). Image quality is also sensibly better than folders equipped with a front element focusing lens (like the Super Ikonta).

According to some reports on the web, the weak point on these Mamiya Six folders seems to be the film advance system. I have two of these cameras, one plain Mamiya Six-IV (which features the automatic film advance mechanism, but not the coupled shutter cocking) and one more recent Mamiya Six Automat 2. Neither camera has ever developed a film advance problem but 2 is hardly a significant statistical sample. The film advance mechanism would be a difficult repair (read: costly), and not to be done by any self-taught folder repair wizard, like there are so many on the web. There are indeed many people offering their services on the web to repair old folders, as long as it's only changing the bellows, cleaning the shutter and adjusting the rangefinder, but it takes a qualified camera repair person to replace the small gears in a Mamiya Six film advance gear train.

Loading film is very straightforward. The film pressure plate slides out of the camera to clear the film path for loading. Once the film is properly loaded, the film pressure plate is put back in place to hold the film against the film guides. At first, I was always forgetting to put the pressure plate back after loading film. Before buying a Mamiya Six used, always make sure that the film pressure plate is in the camera, because it is almost impossible to find a separate pressure plate for sale and I guess it would cost as much as a whole camera.

The Mamiya lens doesn't seem better optically than the much more common Zuiko 75/3.5, but it has better flare resistance due to its more advanced coating.

Cheers!

Abbazz

Old 11-08-2007   #15
oftheherd

Abbazz - I have a (luckily cheapy purchased) copy of the Zuiko lens variety, that is appently incomplete. The film plane is capable of moving in and out, but actually only moves out with the cams that are moved by the focus wheel. It was not attached to anything that would move it back. Were there springs to allow it to come back or what?

Old 11-08-2007   #16
Abbazz
6x9 and be there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oftheherd
Abbazz - I have a (luckily cheapy purchased) copy of the Zuiko lens variety, that is appently incomplete. The film plane is capable of moving in and out, but actually only moves out with the cams that are moved by the focus wheel. It was not attached to anything that would move it back. Were there springs to allow it to come back or what?
On my Mamiya Six, the film plane is moved by the focus wheel in both directions through a rack and pinion mechanism without the help of any spring. Maybe the gears are damaged on your camera?

Cheers!

Abbazz

Old 11-09-2007   #17
P C Headland

Other folders with automatic film advance (no red windows) are the Iskra, which automatically senses the start of the film, and the Certo Six which has a lever wind.

I prefer both of these over the Super Ikontas.

Flickr -- Minus

Old 11-09-2007   #18
Solinar
Analog Preferred

The Agfa Super Isolette that was also branded as the Ansco Super Speedex have been mentioned.

The Automat-style film loading of these two are the best that I've seen. Both are fitted with a unit focus, Tessar-formula, Agfa Solinar lens. The two feature together makes for an expensive acquistion.

On the budget end, the alternative would be the scale-focus, Voigtlander Perkeo II. It is a bit more fiddly to load - but after the first frame is manually selected - the film winder stops automatically each successive frame after that.

The Perkeo II is the smallest 6x6 camera in this group. It is very petite.

35mm Gear Bessa R, Leica II, - IIIf RD/ST, - IIIg, - M3
Medium Format Fuji GW 690III / Minolta Autocord
MF Folders Agfa Record III and Super Isolette / Voigtlander Perkeo II and Bessa II
Digital a D300 with a some primes

"Who spilled the Dektol on the bathroom carpet?"

Last edited by Solinar : 11-09-2007 at 02:54.

Old 11-09-2007   #19
noci

hmmm, makes me wonder whether the Mamiya and late Super Ikonta III share parts... looking at the M. pics and the Ikonta 531/16 sitting on my desk, there is more than a passing resemblance. Did Zeiss and Mamiya have some sort of shared development deal?

Old 11-09-2007   #20
shadowfox
Personal Photography

Abazz, any pictures from the Mamiya six? I've never seen one with the Mamiya Sekor lens, always with the Zuiko.

Speaking of Zuikos, Olympus has a series of folder cameras as well, but they are super rare.

Old 11-09-2007   #21
furcafe

Very cool, & educational. I didn't know anything about these Mamiya folders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbazz
I think the Mamiya Six Automat is the most advanced of all classic folders (excluding the Fuji GS645).

. . .

Cheers!

Abbazz

My Photoblog

My Flickr stream

My RFF Gallery

Old 11-09-2007   #22
jlw
Rangefinder camera pedant

Quote:
Originally Posted by oftheherd
I haven't seen the Mamiya 6 Automat mentioned in the later post (although I'd love to get a look at one, or even buy one at a reasonable price) but I can tell you that the older Mamiya 6 has a somewhat different focusing mechanism than that described.

The film plane is moved outward by cams just as you describe. The film plane is supposed to be held tightly against these cams by pressure of a simple spring (maybe two springs, I can't remember for sure) which is what draws the film plane back inward as you focus toward infinity. It sounds as if the springs have escaped from your camera, probably during some past amateur repair. Unfortunately, I have no idea what you could do about it aside from finding another earlier 6 to use as a parts source.

Meanwhile, I'll confirm from experience that the pre-Automat 6 is a terrific camera that gives excellent results. You do have to use the red window to line up the first frame, but after that it has auto film stop while advancing. The shutter must be cocked manually, but this does eliminate the potentially fragile mechanism that has to run from the body to the front of the lens on the Automat type.

Speaking of fragile mechanisms, the big advantage of the 6's film plane focusing is that it eliminates the complex and delicate mechanism needed to couple the lens to the rangefinder on most folding RFs. That mechanism not only needs to reach a long distance and move very precisely, it also has to hinge out of the way when the camera is folded. (The alternative is an optically coupled system like that on the Zeiss Super Ikonta B, but that limits the camera to front-element focusing, which isn't as good optically as unit focusing in which the entire lens moves.) Mamiya neatly sidestepped the whole problem by moving the focusing system back into the camera body, where the rangefinder already resides, thus allowing them to be joined by a direct, simple coupling system that doesn't need to fold. Good thinking!

PS -- The Zuiko lenses on most of the older 6es are quite good, and the manually cocked Seikosha shutter is super-reliable. The 6 I used to own had a strange, funky external flash sync mechanism built into a little housing above the lens, but I suppose later ones had internal sync.

Last edited by jlw : 11-09-2007 at 15:01.

Old 11-09-2007   #23
raid
Dad Photographer

I would add the Franka Solida IIIC [I think it is C] to the list of excellent RF MF cameras. Juergen Kreckel places it in the same league as the Agfa Super Isolette. The Schneider lens is not bad at all. The Solida has a RF but it is not coupled.

It is best to separate vintage cameras from modern cameras in this discussion. The Fuji 645 are modern cameras and they are hard to beat.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

Old 11-09-2007   #24
Solinar
Analog Preferred

Raid - does the Franka Solida IIIC have an Automat or similar film advance which stops the winder automatically at the next frame?

Read the original poster's question.

35mm Gear Bessa R, Leica II, - IIIf RD/ST, - IIIg, - M3
Medium Format Fuji GW 690III / Minolta Autocord
MF Folders Agfa Record III and Super Isolette / Voigtlander Perkeo II and Bessa II
Digital a D300 with a some primes

"Who spilled the Dektol on the bathroom carpet?"

Old 11-09-2007   #25
Abbazz
6x9 and be there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfox
Abazz, any pictures from the Mamiya six? I've never seen one with the Mamiya Sekor lens, always with the Zuiko.
I'll try to scan some negs taken with this camera an post them here.

Cheers!

Abbazz