Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > 35mm Film Range Finders > Leica M Film Cameras

I've had totally enough of this mess of incompatibility
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #1
slight

I've had totally enough of this mess of incompatibility

Cameras:

Contax iiia, Hexar RF, Leica M5, Nikon S2.

Lenses: 21mm Biogon, 50mm Sonnar, 50mm Nikkor, 135mm Sonnar, w-nikkor 35 1.8

Now, here's the thumbs ups and cons:

Rangefinder comparison:

Leica M5 for best 35mm VF. but the only 35mm nikkor here won't focus on M5; in fact it's already a big pain to mount it on M5

Nikon S2 for best 50mm VF. But sonnar 50 1.5 won't focus correctly because of flange distance difference.

Hexar RF for best 21mm VF, plus full auto features. the 21mm biogon goes straight to Hexar no question.

Contax iiia is good for sonnar 50 1.5 but the VF is really a pain.

Now I've been trying to simplify my set up but it seems get more and more complicated.

If I mount w-nikkor 35 1.8 on either contax iiia or nikon S2, I get to focus with their RF. But I have to add a 35mm VF.

If I mount sonnar 50 1.5 on leica M5 then the contax IIIA will be useless. It looks gorgeous with biogon, but it doesn't have such nice VF as Hexar does.

If I mount 135mm sonnar on either Leica M5 or Hexar, I get TTL metering which is totally necessary for 135mm.

The Nikon S2 has totally best 1:1 VF for 50mm, but if I mount 50mm sonnar, I get fuzzy focus.

Now here's the question:

If I want to bring only two cameras with me, with TTL in mind, how should I set up my gears????

I'm driven mad by all these incompatibilities....

Hence, I don't like Leica lenses. The summilux 50 is way too big for my taste. and the price of Summicron 35 F2 is crazy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender.jpg (177.7 KB, 41 views)

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2
Brian Legge

Perhaps start by trying to reduce to a single system?

Between Voigtlander, Zeiss, Canon and FSU lenses, there are all sorts of options mountable on an M mount body. Lots of ergonomic/size and price options.

Perhaps focus on two bodies and lens options which cover your needs there?

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #3
slight

hello Brian:

It is not an option to sell lenses, in fact these lenses are the best ones I've found regarding their specifics.

The 21 biogon goes stright to my dearest classic lens; w-nikkor is my favorite; sonnar 50mm and 135mm has gotten my heart.

I collect lenses only in the 50-60s range. No modern lens is allowed in my collection.

The best set up I can think of is M5 with 50 sonnar, w-nikkor, and 135mm sonnar, and Hexar RF with 21mm. BUT then I can't focus the nikkor with RF.

Ok maybe it's my problem...

I wish I could use all lenses on all bodies....but then they require major operations...

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #4
michaelwj

Quote:
Originally Posted by slight View Post
hello Brian:

It is not an option to sell lenses, in fact these lenses are the best ones I've found regarding their specifics.

Ok maybe it's my problem...

I wish I could use all lenses on all bodies....but then they require major operations...
I snipped your message, but I think it is your problem. Sorry.
If you want the best lenses across systems, then compromise and take more bodies. If you want to simplify then you'll need to compromise lenses.
Unfortunately there isn't a perfect system for you, life sucks hey!
If I were you I'd pick my absolute favourites and conpromise the others.
Tough choice and good luck!

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #5
Corran

Actually it sounds like a Nikon SP would be perfect?

Replace the 135mm Sonnar in Contax mount with a Nikon lens. Then you'll have to shell out some cash to replace the 50mm f/1.5 with the rare S-mount version.

No metering though.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #6
mfogiel

Simple.
1- Leica M6 or M7, x.72, any good 35mm lens will do, the new Ultron 35-1.7 should be better than your W Nikkor
2- Nikon F2, Nikkor 135Q, or Nikon F3, Nikkor 105/2.5 AIS

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #7
Mark Schretlen
mostly harmless

Quote:
The best set up I can think of is M5 with 50 sonnar, w-nikkor, and 135mm sonnar, and Hexar RF with 21mm. BUT then I can't focus the nikkor with RF.
Perhaps a w-nikkor in LTM would help.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #8
slight

Thanks for all the advices!

Well ubfortunately I really can't afford a 35 w-nikkor in LTM mount the price is crazy.

Hence, the cameras that I prefer are M5 and other TTL Bodies; the 35 nikkor, 50 sonnar and 135 sonnar and 21 biogon are definitely going to stay.

I just want an advice on how to simplfied the systems to mere two bodies and hopefully will support all lenses with TTL and good finder.

That reminds me a Bessa R2s might help in sorting out the 35mm nikkor

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #9
slight

the point is not to change into "better" lens or body, but to use each lens with the body that will fully exploit it's potentials.

as said the 50 and 135 sonnar, as well as 35mm nikkor, 21mm biogon are definitely going to stay.

I think I've come to a dead end of compromising either TTL, or focus, for the benefit of best VF for each lens.

Now I've decided I will live with lack of RF focus of the nikkor + m5 combination because this is totally my favorite combination of lens and body and the RF is just great with 35mm for me. Plus I can use 135mm with M5 that's good with me too since I get TTL on 135mm.

And then Hexar RF with 21mm biogon is just as great.

The final step is wether I choose wrong focus at close range with the nikon s2+sonnar 50 combination, or the two 50mm are going to stay with their original body.

Now here's the annoyance: sonnar 50 + S2 leaves that it's inevitable nikkor 50 have to stay with contax IIIA. Now this seems to be soooo weird and intolerable from a fundamentalist view.

Ok so if I'm going to have a 1:1 VF for my 50mm sonnar, then I have to get a M3; and then to have focus and 35mm framline, I need a Nikon S3.

But then where will my M5 and contax iiia go?? M5 is such a great camera, and my contax iiia has been serviced by Henry Schere I can't let it go!

Well honestly I've totally abandoned photography but focused on how to make these things work for a while now...

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #10
leicapixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfogiel View Post
Simple.
1- Leica M6 or M7, x.72, any good 35mm lens will do, the new Ultron 35-1.7 should be better than your W Nikkor
2- Nikon F2, Nikkor 135Q, or Nikon F3, Nikkor 105/2.5
AIS
I think this is a solution.
I have always tried and succeeded to use Leica lenses on Leica!
Contax and Nikon are known to have incompatibility..
The Hexar also..slight variance in distance of pressure plate,film.
I read how so many "love" their Zeiss lenses but NOT for me.
Focus issues.
I have never liked those Contax cameras.
The Nikon RF is a major improvement, esp the shutter.
Why force so many variables into a working solution?

Simplify! Sell some stuff and get 1.Newer and better.2.As a Pro, now retired, no way would I have such variances..
A Nikon-F,F2 are really great. YSWYG! 135mm require SLR.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #11
maitani

how about a Bessa R2S?

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #12
jarski

two words: analysis paralysis.

Quote:
That reminds me a Bessa R2s might help in sorting out the 35mm nikkor
adding yet more gear would probably solve nothing.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #13
Ned Bojic

Wow! You're all over the place. I'd totally hate to own that setup. I simply could not photograph. What a mess...

You like the M5? Add a 35 cron and a few other M lenses and be done.
Or go all Nikon.

That's imo.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #14
ottluuk
the indecisive eternity

Just a friendly reminder. You could easily assemble a coherent, functional combo with native lenses in either Leica M/LTM or Nikon rangefinder system with little to no financial loss IF you gave up the others. 99% of your viewers won't be able to tell whether you took the photo with a 21mm Biogon or Super-Angulon, 50/1.5 Sonnar or Canon 50/1.5, 135mm Sonnar or 135mm Nikkor...

I can fully understand the pull of some legendary lenses and I have made some obviously impractical gear choices myself. But I also accept that these, along with the cost and inconvenience, have more to do with the collector's urge than with taking photographs.

------------------------------
GRD III | 40D | M4 | 3,5C

Tumblr.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #15
slight

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottluuk View Post
Just a friendly reminder. You could easily assemble a coherent, functional combo with native lenses in either Leica M/LTM or Nikon rangefinder system with little to no financial loss IF you gave up the others. 99% of your viewers won't be able to tell whether you took the photo with a 21mm Biogon or Super-Angulon, 50/1.5 Sonnar or Canon 50/1.5, 135mm Sonnar or 135mm Nikkor...

I can fully understand the pull of some legendary lenses and I have made some obviously impractical gear choices myself. But I also accept that these, along with the cost and inconvenience, have more to do with the collector's urge than with taking photographs.
You are totally right. I just can't give up on the sonnar or biogon or m5 or the 35mm nikkor, that's the problem.

I totally know a cron is better than w-nikkor, but I can't give it up, it's such a nice lens; same goes with biogon or sonnar.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #16
tunalegs
Pretended Artist

I would worry less about saving a special lens because the lens is special and more about building a kit that will allow you to get the pictures.

There's no point in owning different systems for the sake of having "perfect" lenses if it will keep you from changing or carrying lenses/cameras, causing you to miss "perfect" shots. In this situation you're letting theory take precedence over practicality and it's not really going to result in better pictures in my mind. If you want to make good photos you need a kit that is coherent and facilitates easy use.

I would decide which system uses the one lens you use most, and focus on that one. Dump the others.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #17
oftheherd

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunalegs View Post
I would worry less about saving a special lens because the lens is special and more about building a kit that will allow you to get the pictures.

There's no point in owning different systems for the sake of having "perfect" lenses if it will keep you from changing or carrying lenses/cameras, causing you to miss "perfect" shots. In this situation you're letting theory take precedence over practicality and it's not really going to result in better pictures in my mind. If you want to make good photos you need a kit that is coherent and facilitates easy use.

I would decide which system uses the one lens you use most, and focus on that one. Dump the others.
Sounds right, and advice I should take myself.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #18
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

Sell them all and use SLRs. Much more gear to buy and complain.
RFs are for picture takers.
And Bessas have TTL...

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #19
hipsterdufus
Photographer?

You seem to have a slight preference for Zeiss-style rendering. Maybe it's time to standardize to Zeiss ZM lenses and cut out the Contax/Nikon?

By selling your Contax/Nikon gear, you could get enough money to buy a ZM Sonnar and (probably) a ZM 21mm Biogon. Problem solved.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #20
fuji645

Quote:
Originally Posted by leicapixie View Post
I think this is a solution.
I have always tried and succeeded to use Leica lenses on Leica!
Contax and Nikon are known to have incompatibility..
The Hexar also..slight variance in distance of pressure plate,film.
I read how so many "love" their Zeiss lenses but NOT for me.
Focus issues.
I have never liked those Contax cameras.
The Nikon RF is a major improvement, esp the shutter.
Why force so many variables into a working solution?

Simplify! Sell some stuff and get 1.Newer and better.2.As a Pro, now retired, no way would I have such variances..
A Nikon-F,F2 are really great. YSWYG! 135mm require SLR.

Surely a surfeit of riches! One has to rationalize one's equipment storehouse so that the end result is to maximize your ability to take photographs with as little stress as possible.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #21
jonmanjiro

Woah that's quite a hodgepodge collection of gear. If you like fondling (and there's nothing wrong with that), keep it all.

If you'd like a somewhat practical kit for taking photos, sell the Nikon S2, Nikkor 50, and W-Nikkor, and bite the bullet and buy a W-Nikkor 35/1.8 LTM (it only hurts once to make the outlay, which is soon forgotten anyway) and a Contax to Leica M Amedeo adapter for the Sonnar 50 and Sonnar 135. The Contax IIIa is redundant too, but you said you can't sell it, so keep it as a shelf queen

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #22
slight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
Sell them all and use SLRs. Much more gear to buy and complain.
RFs are for picture takers.
And Bessas have TTL...
I think I've made a big mistake of selling my Nikon F3. My best shots were always with a F3. Every since I started fondling with these rangefinders I couldn't take a good picture any more...But they are so beautiful and easy to use.

Well maybe I just like keep things difficult...

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #23
slight

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipsterdufus View Post
You seem to have a slight preference for Zeiss-style rendering. Maybe it's time to standardize to Zeiss ZM lenses and cut out the Contax/Nikon?

By selling your Contax/Nikon gear, you could get enough money to buy a ZM Sonnar and (probably) a ZM 21mm Biogon. Problem solved.
Old time (50s 60s) lenses have a very long range of contrast, while ZMs contrast range are typically too short and steep. I sold my ZM 21 biogon and bought the classic one, it never once let me down.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #24
slight

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmanjiro View Post
Woah that's quite a hodgepodge collection of gear. If you like fondling (and there's nothing wrong with that), keep it all.

If you'd like a somewhat practical kit for taking photos, sell the Nikon S2, Nikkor 50, and W-Nikkor, and bite the bullet and buy a W-Nikkor 35/1.8 LTM (it only hurts once to make the outlay, which is soon forgotten anyway) and a Contax to Leica M Amedeo adapter for the Sonnar 50 and Sonnar 135. The Contax IIIa is redundant too, but you said you can't sell it, so keep it as a shelf queen
I hear that S version 35 1.8 is different from LTM version ones, the rear element was a lot larger on the S version. That's why I have to keep the S version.

Today I tried to shimm the focusing roller on Hexar RF, and also I shimmed a little the rear part of the 35 w-nikkor so as to make the focusing work. Damn they were so close yet they won't give way for focusing, the rear part and focusing roller jammed together. I can mount the lens but the roller is squeezed in a dead end. I gave up (again) for fear of breaking the focusing roller. Well that's not going to work although there's only about 0.7 mm to successfully use the w-nikkor on Hexar RF.

Maybe I should CNC a customized focusing roller for M5 that suits the big butt of the w-nikkor.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #25
Godfrey
wonderment

Pick the best body and lens combinations.
Superglue them together.
Then choose which two cameras you want to carry.

Or

Sell them all.
Buy a Leica X Vario.
Take pictures.

Life is too short...