Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > 35mm Film Range Finders > Leica M Film Cameras

Please Return my M5.....
Old 06-03-2014   #1
janrzm

Please Return my M5.....

Hey guys,

Just really interested to see if anyone has any idea what I should do with this situation!!

At the begining of September 2012 I exchanged a few emails with Don at DAG and discussed some repairs to my M5, I subsequently sent it and it was received on the 2nd October 2012.

I eventually got a quote for the work on the 24th Jan 2013 and agreed it immiediately.

Many unanswered emails......

Several phone calls.......

Still no camera.......

It's been there nearly 20 months and I'm actually getting pretty concerned about it.

Any ideas????

Cheers, Jason.

Old 06-03-2014   #2
Takkun

Similar story here. I sent in an ELCAN lens for collimation on a recommendation from a local tech who doesn't work on that particular lens last September. I just got word from him that he fixed it and sent it back last week. No answer from any number of emails and calls since then.
He's one of the big 3 (with Sherry and Youxin, and one of two working on the M5) independent techs and is in high demand, from what I understand. I knew that it'd be taking a month or two for the repair, but I hadn't expected this. I'd have been more concerned had i sent a body instead of a lesser-used lens.

From what I'd read when I started panicking last winter, he always gets back to you, even if it takes a while. Perhaps yours was next in line after mine and will be arriving shortly?
find me on Flickr or tumblr.

Old 06-03-2014   #3
kshapero
Photo guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by janrzm View Post
Hey guys,

Just really interested to see if anyone has any idea what I should do with this situation!!

At the begining of September 2012 I exchanged a few emails with Don at DAG and discussed some repairs to my M5, I subsequently sent it and it was received on the 2nd October 2012.

I eventually got a quote for the work on the 24th Jan 2013 and agreed it immiediately.

Many unanswered emails......

Several phone calls.......

Still no camera.......

It's been there nearly 20 months and I'm actually getting pretty concerned about it.

Any ideas????

Cheers, Jason.
You have waited 20 months and you are just now getting concerned? I know I would be doing after about 3 months. (Unprintable).......

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Old 06-03-2014   #4
janrzm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshapero View Post
You have waited 20 months and you are just now getting concerned? I know I would be doing after about 3 months. (Unprintable).......
Well I've been concerned for a while.....but have been reassured on the phone. Last time about 4 weeks ago when he assured me he'd do it the following week!!

I knew it would take some time at DAG but I was thinking I'd be around 6 months.

Old 06-03-2014   #5
janrzm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takkun View Post
Similar story here. I sent in an ELCAN lens for collimation on a recommendation from a local tech who doesn't work on that particular lens last September. I just got word from him that he fixed it and sent it back last week. No answer from any number of emails and calls since then.
He's one of the big 3 (with Sherry and Youxin, and one of two working on the M5) independent techs and is in high demand, from what I understand. I knew that it'd be taking a month or two for the repair, but I hadn't expected this. I'd have been more concerned had i sent a body instead of a lesser-used lens.

From what I'd read when I started panicking last winter, he always gets back to you, even if it takes a while. Perhaps yours was next in line after mine and will be arriving shortly?
Fingers crossed!! I have used Youxin recently for an M3, painless, great communication be sending my other M's there. Obviously couldn't do that with the M5.

Old 06-03-2014   #6
kshapero
Photo guy

Quote:
Fingers crossed!! I have used Youxin recently for an M3, painless, great communication be sending my other M's there. Obviously couldn't do that with the M5.
Does he not do M5's, shame. Yes Youxin Ye is competent and fast.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Old 06-03-2014   #7
SolaresLarrave
My M5s need red dots!

Sorry to hear about your case. I've been fairly fortunate with Don... It takes him about 4 or 6 months to get my stuff done.

Now, I've learned that if I want something quick, Sherry is the best person to go to. Not that Don isn't... it's simply that he works at a different pace.

Maybe you can simply call Don and ask him for your camera back, nothing done to it, and you offer to pay for the shipping. Something must have happened for him to drop the ball on you this way.
My Nikon D700 Neophyte's Guide
No longer selling any Nikon SLR glass...

Old 06-03-2014   #8
wafflecakee

Yikes, my friend is using DAG as a third party in a big transaction. Don't like to hear that.

Old 06-03-2014   #9
yossarian123
Sam I Am

I haven't had any problems with DAG. If I need something back in a hurry I just write it down in the enclosed note. Then I'll call him later that week to verbally confirm. No problems with replying to email either - he's gotten back to me within at least two days, sometimes sooner.

I'm not sure if my experience is tied to the fact that I've spent a massive amount of money with him and sent him a ton of gear.

Old 06-03-2014   #10
alphonse2501

I send my M5 with Summicron 50/2 (II) about this March, so I would like to know, too.

Old 06-03-2014   #11
Rayt

He has had a lens of mine for a year now. One day I will get a pleasant surprise in the mail.

Old 06-03-2014   #12
janrzm

Quote:
Originally Posted by yossarian123 View Post
I'm not sure if my experience is tied to the fact that I've spent a massive amount of money with him and sent him a ton of gear.
I think that has got to be in your favour, I'd just be happy to get it back full stop.... I tried to call today, no answer, will try once again tomorrow.

Old 06-03-2014   #13
Bill Clark

Youxin recently CLA'd and rebuilt rangefinder, new shutter curtains on my III F.

Took about 2 weeks.

I recommend Youxin.

Old 06-03-2014   #14
janrzm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Clark View Post
Youxin recently CLA'd and rebuilt rangefinder, new shutter curtains on my III F.

Took about 2 weeks.

I recommend Youxin.
I've just used Youxin for one of my M3's, exact same experience as you, awesome. He does not work on M5's though, unfortunately.

Old 06-03-2014   #15
janrzm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayt View Post
He has had a lens of mine for a year now. One day I will get a pleasant surprise in the mail.
You made me smile then!! I guess if I try to put a positive spin on it then it'll be like getting a new camera....albeit in 2016 or something like that.

Old 06-03-2014   #16
janrzm

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphonse2501 View Post
I send my M5 with Summicron 50/2 (II) about this March, so I would like to know, too.
My advice, get a friend to bash you on the head so you forget you own it.... and if it's your only camera, buy a new one to tide you over....

Old 06-03-2014   #17
janrzm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wafflecakee View Post
Yikes, my friend is using DAG as a third party in a big transaction. Don't like to hear that.
I'm sure if it's a big transaction he'll be fine.

Old 06-03-2014   #18
fireblade

he gets it October 2012 and you are wanting it back June 2014.............?????????????????

Old 06-03-2014   #19
janrzm

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireblade View Post
he gets it October 2012 and you are wanting it back June 2014.............?????????????????
Yes, I can be quite impatient???

Old 06-03-2014   #20
icebear

Quote:
Well I've been concerned for a while.....but have been reassured on the phone. Last time about 4 weeks ago when he assured me he'd do it the following week!!

I knew it would take some time at DAG but I was thinking I'd be around 6 months.
So you have spoken to him personally just recently (in "DAG terms") and you know he'll take care of your camera. Everybody knows he's working at his own pace but in my book he's the best. I don't really understand why you are posting this now?

my gallery:http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...d=6650&showall

Old 06-03-2014   #21
janrzm

Quote:
Originally Posted by icebear View Post
So you have spoken to him personally just recently (in "DAG terms") and you know he'll take care of your camera. Everybody knows he's working at his own pace but in my book he's the best. I don't really understand why you are posting this now?
4 weeks ago I spoke to him which was the third time I'd spoken to him over the last few months. He apologised for having it so long and assured me he'd do it the week after.

I'm posting now for a few reasons I guess, partly out of frustration, partly to get some reassurances from others who'd experienced similar and to share my experience which is what we do on these forums.

When do you think I should have posted it, or are you saying I'm jumping the gun? Not patient enough?

Old 06-03-2014   #22
porktaco

i'm glad never to have had any of these issues with don. i do small, infrequent repairs with him, and he's always been really good with me.

M digital, M film, X digital.

More photos at my flickr, some of which is friends & family only. Please feel free to message me to become a flickr friend.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49274520@N04/sets/

Old 06-03-2014   #23
jtullar

I believe Youxin cannot repair M5 or Cl cameras.

Flickr

Old 06-03-2014   #24
JMQ

You have spoken to him 4+ weeks ago, and he reassured you that he will work on it. That is a very good sign. Like others said, he works at his own pace, and may underestimate the time. I have been sending him gear for about 20 years now, and he has not disappointed me.

Old 06-03-2014   #25
YYV_146

Wow, you must be a lot nicer a person than I am! I would have kicked down his door within six months...

My experience with Sherry was impeccable work, but very slow. Still, this is slow on another magnitude - not to mention there are great guys like Youxin who return equipment within the week.

Amateur reporter, fashion shooter, estranged adapterholic
"If it can be focused, it can be manual focused!"

500px
LFI gallery