Originally Posted by pstevenin
I am a happy M8 (1.107) owner since two weeks that deliver stunning images but the image counter behavior is quite weird.
On the continuous mode, it increments quite normally and when I switch the SD card, it starts again from a previous number (the first time I noticed that, it starded from 0001 again, and yesterday it started from something like 0058) .
The counter sounds working well when I use only the same card. Does somebody notice that?
This happened to me once when I put in a brandnew, not previously formatted, card. Always format your card when you put it in, new or old card, before taking pictures!
Here is the cure: copied from the Leica user Forum:
Here is a procedure that will allow you change to anything you want:
1. Set the Picture Number in the menu to "Standard".
2. Format the SD card in camera.
the File Number in the menu. It actually says “Reset fold. No”, that is the one you want.
4. Set Picture Number back to "Continuous"
5. Take one image
6. Shut off camera, remove SD card and place in card reader attached to a computer.
7. Access the image in your Finder or Explorer (Mac or PC); rename the image number to whatever file number/image number you want. I would suggest Lyyyxxxx, with "y" being your preferred folder number (See Note Below)
and "x" being the frame number you want to start with. (You are making these changes to the file name on the card in the card reader.)
If you want to change the first or second digit of the L100 (Lyyy above) in the file name, like to L200 or 120 or 220, then you have to change the folder name also.
The directory/folder structure on the card when in a card reader is [Drive Letter]:\DCIM\100LEICA\. You need to change the 100LEICA to whatever you want the file number to start with. Like if you want it to be L200xxxx then you need to rename that folder to 200LEICA. If you want L120 then you need to change that folder name to 120LEICA. It would look like this [Drive Letter]:\DCIM\120 or 200LEICA.
8. Properly remove card from card reader and return to camera.
9. Turn the camera on and press "Play". The file will now display with newly renamed folder and file number. (Use "Info" to see this data.)
10. Expose another image to confirm and check file numbers.
11. Format SD card, and you are good to go from that point on.