Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > 35mm Film Range Finders > Canon RF

Canon RF For classic Leica Screw Mount Canon Rangefinders.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

Old 04-06-2005   #26
captainslack
Five Goats Hunter
 
captainslack's Avatar
 
captainslack is offline
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: NC
Age: 43
Posts: 1,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcanonman
.........................
I've read that the lifecycle of the "air cell" batteries has much to do with the humidity of the air it's used in. I've had one last 6 months and sometimes only a month.
I'd better give up on the Wein's then! NC Summers are so humid you can drink the air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcanonman
The merc cells I still have last 5 years + .
It's kind of silly that they banned the PX625's, but most thermometers have 50 times more mercury in them. Next time you go to your Doctor, look at the blood pressure meter on the wall - Yep that silver fluid ....... is mercury!
I think the difference is the mercury in the therometers, unless they're broken, tends to stay in them. Whereas, used batteries get thrown away and rust in the landfills, whereupon the mercury leeches out and into the ground. Not good.
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2005   #27
pabaker34
Registered User
 
pabaker34 is offline
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 15
Hi everybody. I have one of these zinc-air batteries in my Pentax spotmeter. The battery takes about a half hour for the voltage to stabilize once you've removed the cover. It also needs some air, so if the battery compartment on the ql17 is sealed then the voltage will drop back to zero and the battery will be dormant.

Paul
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2005   #28
dmr
Registered Abuser
 
dmr's Avatar
 
dmr is offline
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Somewhere in Middle America
Posts: 3,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcanonman
but most thermometers have 50 times more mercury in them. Next time you go to your Doctor, look at the blood pressure meter on the wall - Yep that silver fluid ....... is mercury!
When I was young we would actually play with mercury. My brothers used to collect it by breaking up old thermometers and old light switches. I remember coating coins with it to make them shiny.
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2005   #29
nwcanonman
Registered User
 
nwcanonman's Avatar
 
nwcanonman is offline
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Pacific NW - Washington
Posts: 1,481
"
I think the difference is the mercury in the therometers, unless they're broken, tends to stay in them. Whereas, used batteries get thrown away and rust in the landfills, whereupon the mercury leeches out and into the ground. Not good.[/quote]
....................
But the thermometers (being glass), break all the time and where do they go? We just need to remember to properly dispose of ALL hazardous materials - batteries, paint, used oil, etc
__________________
HaroldB*
- at one with many rangefinders, a Nikon F2A and now an old D1X
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2005   #30
jlw
Rangefinder camera pedant
 
jlw is offline
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 3,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhoundman
Anybody check what mercury is selling for lately?
I need to weigh the jar I've been collecting.
I hope you're joking --- and if you're not, I hope nobody from the Ohio environmental department is reading this board!

There was a case a couple of months ago here in which carpenters remodeling an old gun shop found an old jar containing a small amount of silvery fluid, and accidentally spilled a bit of it. Of course this fluid turned out to be mercury. When the building inspectors found out about it, they called in the whole hazmat team, and the building's owners were required to do remediation, the cost of which ran into five figures.

Currently the present owners are suing the shop's previous owner, and the previous owner in turn is suing the remodeling contractors, saying the jar wasn't his and the carpenters must have brought it in from somewhere else.

Why all the fuss about a substance that many of us played with as kids? Because, like asbestos, people just didn't realize back then how dangerous the stuff is.
__________________
"Never trust a graph without error bars."
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2005   #31
pabaker34
Registered User
 
pabaker34 is offline
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 15
Actually, I think people just overreact to things. Freon, asbestos, lead, mercury, and a bunch of other things that people used to regularly come into contact with are now considered so dangerous that you got to call in hazmat? That's just crazy. Freon is still the best refrigerant ever discovered, asbestos is still the best insulator, lead paint lasts longer than any other paint, and mercury is still the only liquid metal at room temp (I think). Mercury batteries also had the flattest discharge curve of any batteries yet. Also, freon is inert, asbestos formed into tiles (like roofing tiles) were harmless until broken, lead paint was fine until kids ate it, and mercury is just a heavy metal like cadmium, tungsten, lead, and a bunch of other things that everybody has in their house right now, all of which are bad to have in your body.
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2005   #32
nwcanonman
Registered User
 
nwcanonman's Avatar
 
nwcanonman is offline
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Pacific NW - Washington
Posts: 1,481
Jlw,
I think every state/provence/township has it's own rules and responce to hazmat. In a widely divergent manner.
10 years ago I worked in a lab, that among other things, received mercury be to "cleaned" from industrial users. It arrived at our location in metal containers, glass jars - all kind of stuff. We would repackage it in unbreakable nalgene containers, tightly sealed and taped up, then send it to a well-known petroleum companies lab to be sanitized and we would get it back and send it to the originator.
Being human we often spilled some. We'd sweep it up with a broom and dust pan (Yes, really) and pour it best we could into a safe container.
Who knows how much I've breathed or gotten on me. But other than the 3 heads and one huge eye, I've suffered no ill effects. ~ ; - )
__________________
HaroldB*
- at one with many rangefinders, a Nikon F2A and now an old D1X
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Neat Battery Trick for the Canonet! Stu :) Other RF 4 04-13-2006 19:52
Just got a Canon Glll QL17 KameraKev Canon RF 6 04-05-2005 05:47
Canonet GIII QL17 problem Natron Canon RF 1 10-13-2004 00:21
Battery drain on the QL17 GIII on A mode sfaust Canon RF 4 09-17-2004 03:02



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:55.


vBulletin skin developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All content on this site is Copyright Protected and owned by its respective owner. You may link to content on this site but you may not reproduce any of it in whole or part without written consent from its owner.