Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > 35mm Film Range Finders > Olympus RF

Olympus RF This forum is for the Olympus rangefinders.

Olympus 35RC Meter
Old 08-30-2007   #1
tkgross

Olympus 35RC Meter

Received an apparently great shape 35RC from ebay seller. In manual mode, everything seemed to be operating properly.

BUT when I put battery in, and put camera in "A" mode, as I depressed the shutter, the aperture needle always went into the RED zone, preventing picture taking. This happened regardless of shutter speed (whose needle indicated the correct speed) or ASA setting.

I did all this without film in the camera. Do I have to have film for the meter to work?

Seller is willing to refund, but I would like to keep if I can get it to work.

Old 08-30-2007   #2
kully
Happy Snapper

You don't need film in the camera to test the meter. Are you sure the ISO speed is set correctly and the shutter speed is "sensible" (i.e. not on 1/15 in sunshine with ISO at 800 or 1/500 indoors)?

The other thing is the speed at which the shutter button is pressed matters - it must be a slow depress, too quick and you will get the red lockout or the wrong reading.

Is the battery in the right way?

Old 08-30-2007   #3
tkgross

Unhappy

Well, I tried ASA400 with 1/30th sec inside with window providing light. As I SLOWLY depress shutter, the needle gradually moves to the left. The more I depress, the more it moves until with shutter all the way depressed, it is in red box.

Went outside, changed to ASA100 and 1/250. Same thing. I guess meter is not working.

Old 08-30-2007   #4
greyhoundman

Dollar to a doughnut the battery wire is corroded off at the battery compartment.

Old 08-30-2007   #5
tkgross

After reading much info about battery substitutes, I decided to try inserting an aluminum foil shim, AND IT APPEARS TO BE WORKING.

Will load film and see.

Thanks for the help.

Old 03-04-2008   #6
malkmata

tkGross,
I just got an Oly 35RC a couple of weeks ago with the same meter problem. How did you innsert the aluminum foil? I would like to try it. Is it still working for your camera?
Thanks.