Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Coffee With Mentors > Canon Rangefinders - Peter Dechert and Peter Kitchingman

Canon Rangefinders - Peter Dechert and Peter Kitchingman Peter Dechert is best known for his Canon Rangefinder, Canon SLR, and Olympus Pen books, the latter two long out-of-print. He was a monthly columnist for many years for SHUTTERBUG magazine, and has contributed to many others. Most recently he has written about the pre-WW2 Zeiss 35mm cameras, but his interests in camera equipment and optics are many and varied. As a pro protographer and honorary life member of ASMP, Peter is also expert in using the gear! Peter Kitchingman - author of Canon Rangefinder Lens book Peter Kitchingman's 'Canon M39 Rangefinder Lenses 1939-71' book is the definitive source on these very interesting optics. His interests also go to the entire Canon Rangefinder system and beyond.

Canon 19mm 3.5 LTM
Old 03-12-2014   #1
job

Canon 19mm 3.5 LTM

Get this lens from Yahoo Japan
Beautiful LTM with good performance.
However, the serial 12001 is peculiar and it has the FL on the front plate.
I have a FL version which has a 58mm filter thread. This LTM is normal 55mm. It does not look like a hybrid at all and the lens looks original LTM thread.
Any idea and suggestion ?
From Peter's book type 1 serial 10001-11284
type 2 serial 12003-12296
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 19mm 3.5.jpg (61.1 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2014-02-15-19-40-13.jpg (31.6 KB, 60 views)

Old 03-13-2014   #2
shimokita
白黒

Does the following help?

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...ad.php?t=16166

Canon LTM
Old 03-13-2014   #3
job

Canon LTM

to use a FL or FD lens on Leica, I know I can use a Type B adapter.
I have a FL lens with the type B adapter.
This one is a true LTM lens with coupling helicoid ( not a FL lens for SLR ). The only thing not right is the serial no and FL on the plate, which is not found on Peter Kitchingman Canon bible.

Old 03-13-2014   #4
View Range

Job, could you post better photos of your lens? Remove the filter and get closer on the name ring. Show the back of the lens with the mount and RF coupling. Could your lens have been repaired with parts from a 19mm FL lens, the one that required mirror lock up?

Old 03-14-2014   #5
job

Here are my 19mm collection
The LTM one does not look or feel like a hybrid
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 19mm.1.jpg (50.3 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg 19mm.2.jpg (49.2 KB, 45 views)

Old 03-16-2014   #6
View Range

Job, although the filter rings differ by 3 mm, it looks like the name rings are the same diameter. The glass elements themselves are almost certainly the same. Thus the name rings may be interchangeable. In my posting on Canon big glass I question whether the S, R and FL lenses that were co-produced and that have the same glass might be made in the same serial number sequence. Rotoloni confirms in his book that this was true of at least one Nikon lens of the period. As of yet neither Peter has weighed in on this possibility for Canon. So for your 19mm either the wrong name ring was used during assembly or the name ring was changed during a repair. Just a suggestion as I don't have either lens to actually measure.

Old 03-16-2014   #7
raid
Dad Photographer

The ltm version costs more than the FL version. The viewfinder is collectible. Else, it is the same lens. One is used with Adapter B with zone focusing while the other uses RF focus.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 03-16-2014   #8
View Range

Raid, you missed the issue. Job has an LTM lens, but it has an FL name ring. The question is how did it happen?

19mm LTM
Old 03-16-2014   #9
job

19mm LTM

Thank you all for your input.
Without the FL and peculiar serial no, the lens looks a perfectly normal 19mm LTM lens.
Unlike the Nikon inventory, we do not have a clear serial tracking system for Canon.
Post repair hybrid is always a possibility as we see a lot of hybrid on nowaday Canon Rangefinder due to sharing of parts from dead cameras.
Co-production of the FL and Screw lines was also possible as the two are optically identical.

BTW, Raid you did share pictures form your 19mm. Did you sell yours ?
Optically and sizewise the 19mm cannot compare with my ZM 21mm 4.5. However the joy of using a Canon vintage 19 on a L1 to take pictures is not measurable.
I bought a A7 to utilize my range of old manual lenses, however, I still like the old Canon Rangefinder and film pictures better

Old 03-18-2014   #10
Nokton48

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Range View Post
Job has an LTM lens, but it has an FL name ring. The question is how did it happen?
I used to have the FL lens with rare viewfinder and case. I'll wager somehow the front ring was damaged and replaced.

Great lens. Loved it but I was movin' on at the time.

Some of my older pix: http://www.flickr.com/photos/1813448...n/photostream/
Some of my even older pix: http://hassydan.tripod.com/

"There is nothing worse than a sharp photo of a fuzzy concept" -- W. Eugene Smith

Old 03-18-2014   #11
t.s.k.
Hooked on philm

I don't think you can just swap out the LTM for an FL ring because the filter size is different.

On the other hand, perhaps the filter size has nothing to do with mounting the ring onto the lens?
Canon LTM lenses aren't too difficult to disassemble.
Maybe the OP can find out for himself?

You can observe a lot by just watching.
-- Yogi Berra

Old 03-18-2014   #12
raid
Dad Photographer

I still have the Canon 19/3.5. Such vintage lenses are not replaced by modern lenses. They complement each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by job View Post
Thank you all for your input.
Without the FL and peculiar serial no, the lens looks a perfectly normal 19mm LTM lens.
Unlike the Nikon inventory, we do not have a clear serial tracking system for Canon.
Post repair hybrid is always a possibility as we see a lot of hybrid on nowaday Canon Rangefinder due to sharing of parts from dead cameras.
Co-production of the FL and Screw lines was also possible as the two are optically identical.

BTW, Raid you did share pictures form your 19mm. Did you sell yours ?
Optically and sizewise the 19mm cannot compare with my ZM 21mm 4.5. However the joy of using a Canon vintage 19 on a L1 to take pictures is not measurable.
I bought a A7 to utilize my range of old manual lenses, however, I still like the old Canon Rangefinder and film pictures better

Old 03-18-2014   #13
raid
Dad Photographer

I agree with your assessment. The lens has been doctored.
It often happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokton48 View Post
I used to have the FL lens with rare viewfinder and case. I'll wager somehow the front ring was damaged and replaced.

Great lens. Loved it but I was movin' on at the time.

Old 03-19-2014   #14
View Range

T.S.K., examine Job's pictures closely. The name ring and the filter ring are totally separate entities on 58mm filter thread lenses. It looks like the name rings have the same diameter on the two lenses even though the filter rings do not have the same diameter.

Old 06-12-2014   #15
job

found some interesting information from Dechert's book

He found some of the early original rangefinder coupled LTM 19mm lens marked with FL like the SLR FL lens.
The 19mm LTM in his book actually has the FL on it and it looks like it has the same serial as mine. I do not know if the picture is a catalog picture or not.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0003.jpg (63.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0004.jpg (47.9 KB, 10 views)