Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Rangefinder Photography Discussion

Rangefinder Photography Discussion General discussions about Rangefinder Photography. This is a great place for questions and answers that are not addressed in a specific category. Take note there is also a General Photography forum.

Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 50mm f/1.5
Old 03-12-2004   #1
jdos2

Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 50mm f/1.5

Does anyone have any experience with this lens? I've got one on the way to me. Does it compare well with the Nikon 50mm f/1.4? How 'bout the Jupiter-3? Does it have have the same veil flare as the latter optic?

I can't seem to find any reviews, or comments from others anywhere on the Internet about it.

It's a Contax/Kiev mount lens.

Old 03-12-2004   #2
Brian Sweeney

I have the Zeiss-Opton 50mm F1.5 lens. I believe that the Jena lens is from the Zeiss factory that was in East Germany. The Opton factory was set up in West Germany by Zeiss employees that left with the Americans upon relinquishing control to the Soviets.

The Lens that I have is a fine performer. If you are going to use it on the Nikon remember that it focusses a little behind what is indicated by the RF. When the Nikon indicates 36". the Zeiss lens is focussed to almost 37". It is equal in performance to the Nikkor 5cm F1.4. Look for a ref "T" to indicate that it is coated.

Old 03-12-2004   #3
jdos2

Nah, the Nikkor will stay on the Nikon, the Kiev will get the CJZ. I'm happy about it, I was exhibiting a bit of "pre-receive" contemplation.

Old 03-13-2004   #4
ZeissFan

It depends on whether you mean the prewar or postwar lens. The postwar East German lens will have a red T (indicating a coated lens) on it and will be in an aluminum mount.

The prewar lens is in a heavy chrome mount and usually not coated.

I own the prewar lens and find it to have a lot of character. A nice sharp lens though it can flare easily.

Old 03-13-2004   #5
jdos2

Post War, East German. I can't wait! If it's got a character I can use like my Nikon, I might consider getting rid of the S2 and lens

(for a Leica M-3 double-stroke and a 50mm Summicron from the 50's)

Old 03-24-2004   #6
jdos2

It's here!

It's nice. Red "T" and much heavier than my Jupiter 3, and heavier (175 grams vs. 155) than my Nikkor f/1.4 on my S2.
It's coating is also magenta, instead of the Jupiter yellow.

It needs a bit of cleaning, but it's nice. I can't wait to see the pictures from it!

Old 03-25-2004   #7
taffer
void

Good luck JD ! It would be really nice to see a digi pic of that Sonnar mounted on your Kiev... must look great !