Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > 35mm Film Range Finders > Leica Screw Mount Copies

Leica Screw Mount Copies Classic Leica Copy forum as listed in the book 300 Leica Copies, including but not limited to Nicca, Leotax, Honor, Canon etc. At one time there was a major part of the camera industry just trying to make a lower cost copy/dirivitive of the original Leica.

Fitting Canon Serenar on Zorki 1
Old 07-14-2007   #1
vicmortelmans

Fitting Canon Serenar on Zorki 1

Hi,

I bought a Canon Serenar 85mm f/2 for my Zorki 1, which is my only M39 camera, but the Serenar won't fit because the Zorki 1's rangefinder arm has a triangular shape, which gets stuck agains the lenses focusing cam extension. I assume that the Canon RF camera for which it's intended has a circular extension?

I'm at the lookout for a 'real' M39 (or M) rangefinder, but didn't quite made a decision yet, so I'd love to get the lens working on the Zorki in the meanwhile.

Any suggestions on (non-destructive) modifications or tools that can be used to get the lens on??

Groeten,
Vic

Old 07-14-2007   #2
Xmas

Vic
Well iffy but with some telephotos the optic module unscrews from the focus mount, if yours does and it is not too tight you can unscrew it and thread the mount pushing the follower in as needed, and you will have to do the same for removal.

The canon(s) have (have) a roller

The FSU cameras are not compatible with lots of LTM lenses

Some of the canons dont like J12 or collapsibles, the M5 and CL ditto

Noel

Old 07-17-2007   #3
ZorkiKat
ЗоркийКат:Sharpeyed Kitty

The Serenars which you can use on a Zorki are the 28, 35, and 50. Forget about using the longer 85, 100 and 135mm lenses. As Noel said, the tongue shaped cams won't engage properly and likely catch on the RF snesor tips of Zorki and FED. Same could be said of 135mm from Leitz and other long LTM lenses from other makers which use tongue-shaped coupling cams.

On some cameras, the lens RF cam and the RF sensor tip would not even coincide, owing to the non-standard thread entry and stopping points of the threads of the mounts found on Zorki or FED. That's why all FSU LTM RF lenses use a full-barrel cam instead of the tongue-shaped ones found on some long Canon/Serenar or Leitz lenses.

Some have suggested adjusting the slope of the RF sensor tip of the Zorki or FED to accomodate the tongue shaped cams. Not a wise move since the slope position is determined by the near-distance calibration of the camera's RF. Moving this would adversely affect the accuracy of rangefinding at close distances.

If you want a long lens for the Zorki, you might have to stick with the Jupiter-9 and 11 (85mm and 135mm resp.). The 9cm Elmar should mount and couple nicely with the FED or Zorki.

FED & ZORKII SURVIVAL SITE

ZorkiKat.com