Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > 35mm Film Range Finders > Leica Screw Mount Copies

Leica Screw Mount Copies Classic Leica Copy forum as listed in the book 300 Leica Copies, including but not limited to Nicca, Leotax, Honor, Canon etc. At one time there was a major part of the camera industry just trying to make a lower cost copy/dirivitive of the original Leica.

Old 06-25-2007   #26
bunkawen14
A Glimpse of the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISO
Interesting question KoNickon. Does anybody have an answer here, before going back to the topic. Please do not forget, I still need a body...
I am batting .500.
I've had a Chinese adapter that didn't bring up the proper lines and never seemed to lock the lens securely in place, and a second adapter that works perfectly, and is indistinguishable in performance from the CV and Leica alternatives.

The difference is the first one was bought online, and no trial was possible. The second time around I was wiser and tested its fit before handing over the dough.

Many people won't have the stomach for this kind of uncertainty, but the Chinese gewgags are very cheap in price, and the branded ones, in my mind, unfairly priced.

Hexar RF, Leica M8 (Hexanon-M 50, Canon 50 1.5, Canon 35 2.8, CV 75 2.5 Color Heliar, CV Ultron 28 1.9, CV Color Skopar 25 4, CV Heliar 15 4.5) , Yashica GSN, Rolleiflex 2.8, Olympus XA, Canon 5D MkII (used with SMC Pentax 67 105 2.4, Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 50 1.4, OM System Zuiko 50 1.4, Canon 35 2.0. Zuiko 24 2.8, Tamron 28-75 2.8.) OM-4T, OM2, OM1, Yashica Mat-G (2), Rollei 35T.

http://www.flickriver.com/photos/agl...r-interesting/

howardwfrench.net/

Old 06-25-2007   #27
Edward Felcher

I bought ten Chinese adapters from "kawamall" on eBay and put one on all the L-mount lenses I use.

They are perfect. Perfect focus. I paid about $7 each.

It's not rocket science to make an accurate thickness with modern machining equipment, and they are probably MORE consistent then the older Leica adapters.

It's a piece of metal, for god's sake. I checked them with a digital micrometer against a Leitz adapter, and everything was OK.

If you prefer to be a superstious nut and pay $70 for the same piece of metal with "Leica" stamped on it, be my guest.

PS: ALL adapters occassionally don't seat right or "click" into place, even the Leica ones. A few seconds bending the prongs with a needle nose pliers solves all your angst.

Old 06-25-2007   #28
gregg

Amen brother Edward. My freshly minted $12 Japanese 35/135 adapter seems perfect on a 135mm Jupiter 11.

I especially like the box description of the "Automatic Blight Frame Selection." Not only is the blight line selected correctly, but it focuses fine.

Old 06-25-2007   #29
Edward Felcher

Taken today with a crummy, miserable, cheap, inaccurate Chinese adapter. L-mount Nikkor 35mm f1.8, Epson R-D1 camera:

Shot with R-D1 at 2007-06-25

Last edited by Edward Felcher : 06-25-2007 at 18:30.

Old 06-25-2007   #30
Edward Felcher

Same crummy adapter used on a Leica M2 film camera with Nikkor 35mm f1.8, but because it had a Nikkor lens on it, the karmic mismatched lens mojo ruined all the photos. The Leica knew that it did not have a German lens on it and something went wrong on a molecular level.

Shot at 2007-06-25

Shot at 2007-06-25

Old 06-25-2007   #31
back alley
just joe

that woman seems to have unusually broad shoulders.

heart soul & a camera

Old 06-25-2007   #32
Edward Felcher

Well, if you think she was a candidate for the Gay/Transvestite Parade, you probably would be wrong:

Shot at 2007-06-25

Shot at 2007-06-25

Shot at 2007-06-25

Last edited by Edward Felcher : 06-25-2007 at 19:07.

Old 06-25-2007   #33
back alley
just joe

must be the sweater

heart soul & a camera

Old 06-25-2007   #34
Edward Felcher

She doesn't have a schmeckle either, although nowadays I hear they cut them off and take hormone injections. One never knows, does one?

Old 06-25-2007   #35
ISO

Edward Fletcher, when I see your pictures from the streets of NY, it really makes me want to go out there and take pictures myself. Nice stuff !!! I also like your Nikkor 35mm f1.8, Epson R-D1 combination a lot. May I ask you, if you shoot your street stuff in automatic mode or do you use sunny 16 or a handheld meter in combination with the RD-1. Do you also shoot from the hip from time to time. I am just interested in the way you shoot there.

Old 06-25-2007   #36
back alley
just joe

a schmeckle or a shmata (sp?) no matter really.

heart soul & a camera

Old 06-25-2007   #37
Edward Felcher

With the RD-1, I set the aperture for the lighting conditions or depth of field I want, then I let the camera pick the shutter speed on automatic.

I can focus pretty fast, but if I want to do a grab shot of a girl or something on the street, I set the ISO at 800, lens at f8 or f11 and prefocus around 7 feet away, then just shoot and let the depth of field keep everything in focus.

Old 06-25-2007   #38
ISO

Thanks Edward. Yes I was interested if you use AE mode. For myself, I think the UC-Hexanon and a Bessa R2a could make a great combination. Maybe I find a way to test one....

Last edited by ISO : 06-25-2007 at 19:41.

Old 06-25-2007   #39
ferider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Felcher
Same crummy adapter used on a Leica M2 film camera with Nikkor 35mm f1.8, but because it had a Nikkor lens on it, the karmic mismatched lens mojo ruined all the photos. The Leica knew that it did not have a German lens on it and something went wrong on a molecular level.

Shot at 2007-06-25
Pretty amazing for a 35mm lens and close focus of 3.5 feet.

Roland.

Old 06-25-2007   #40
Edward Felcher

I keep the camera in a plastic bag inside a "messenger" type shoulder bag. I take it out and hold it when I want to take pictures, then put it back.

I could take pictures which are just as good or better with a cheap digital camera, don't really need the R-D1 but I'm an equipment geek and I just like using the old lenses with it.

Honestly, no matter which camera/lens I used I would get good results and especially online, in jpg's, nobody could see the difference between the 1950's Nikkor or a Canon point and shoot $150 digicam. It would be faster to focus too, with AF.

Old 06-25-2007   #41
Edward Felcher

There is such a thing as "scanning and cropping".

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferider
Pretty amazing for a 35mm lens and close focus of 3.5 feet.

Roland.

Old 06-25-2007   #42
ISO

Edward, I am pretty sure your pictures would be all good, or to be fair lets say most of them. The reason is you have the eye, the feel and the experience to make a nice picture. All three can not be paid by Mastercard, right? No, it is really nice stuff you present here, I think. Got a website, flickr or something?

Old 06-25-2007   #43
Edward Felcher

No, I don't.

I've had a lot of pictures published in the past but now I just take pictures for fun and no longer do magazine photography. I never bothered with a website.

I prefer to spend my free time making inane remarks on computer forums.

Old 06-25-2007   #44
ISO

Oh yes. I know what your are talking about. Payments from the magazines are low anyway, these days.... Would like to make a book one day, or what is the reason you have all this photos?

Old 06-25-2007   #45
Edward Felcher

I have no reason for them except I like taking them.

Old 06-25-2007   #46
ISO

LOL, same on my side. Just the fun. But from time to time I really like when the light was captured by a nice piece of glass and you can see it on the final print. That is maybe the best part in photography, for me. That is also the reason I bought this lens...(without even having a body )

Old 06-25-2007   #47
Edward Felcher

Get yourself an early Wetzlar M6.

I have an M3, and M7 and an M6, and the M6 is the one I pick up when I want to shoot film. (not often anymore).

The feel of the Wetzlar M6 is excellent, not expensive to maintain. There's nothing wrong with the Konica Hexar either.

Old 06-25-2007   #48
ISO

Thanks. I will think about it and test some cameras if I can.

Last edited by ISO : 06-25-2007 at 20:34.

Old 06-25-2007   #49
back alley
just joe

I prefer to spend my free time making inane remarks on computer forums.

you seem well practiced at it...

heart soul & a camera

Old 06-25-2007   #50
Edward Felcher

In the case of THIS forum, it's a turkey shoot.