Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > 35mm Film Range Finders > Leica Screw Mount Copies

Leica Screw Mount Copies Classic Leica Copy forum as listed in the book 300 Leica Copies, including but not limited to Nicca, Leotax, Honor, Canon etc. At one time there was a major part of the camera industry just trying to make a lower cost copy/dirivitive of the original Leica.

Got glass, need body. Konica 35/2 UC-Hexanon
Old 06-25-2007   #1
ISO

Got glass, need body. Konica 35/2 UC-Hexanon

This was by far the most expensive photo equipment I bought in recent years. But 35mm is one of my favourite focal length and some of you said this is a dream lens (thanks for the GAS). Limited to 1000, I am quiet happy to finally got one of this jewels in my hands (No. 680/1000). Problem, I do not have a body yet, neither LTM or M-mount :-( . Which one would you get? Everthing from Bessa L to Leica MP counts? What makes a nice package here?

Old 06-25-2007   #2
venchka

You could try to talk me out of one of my Canon VI-T bodies so I can partially repay myself for buying UC-Hexanon #636 a couple weeks ago. That lens has been quite popular in recent weeks. Yours is #3 this month at RFF.
"Leave me alone, I know what I'm doing" Kimi Raikkonen
My Gallery
My Blog-Reborn
FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Old 06-25-2007   #3
ISO

Well, Noriaki seems to be a nice guy, so it is good to give him some business . I was just wondering, where he got all this lenses from. This must be a quiet rare item. The price seemed fair for that. I although do not believe these are copies, due to the built quality this lens have. I want to mount this lens to full sensor digital RF one day, but maybe this will not happen. So what body to get? The RD-1 is not interesting for me, neither the M8. That brings it down to film bodies...

Last edited by ISO : 06-25-2007 at 13:30.

Old 06-25-2007   #4
ISO

venchka, the Canon VI-T is interesting, I did not even think of this one yet. Do you use the UC-Hexanon mainly on this body? Maybe I will come back to you, thanks. Any more recommendation ?

Old 06-25-2007   #5
ferider

If it was me I would put it on an M2 ...

But since it's LTM there are at least 10+ possible good bodies out there that you can use.
Whether you use a Bessa R or an MP, the photos will be the same, so depends on your
budget ... The Canon offered to you above is a great body.

Roland.

Old 06-25-2007   #6
ISO

Thanks, ferider. Can you give me some more details about the 10+ possibilities, please. Sure I was thinking about this myself, but I would be interested what you would do... M2 sounds nice. I am sure I would like it when I find a good example. Or even a M4P or M5 could be nice. But I am afraid with this "old" bodies that I will spend a lot off $$$ into CLAs and care. The Bessas and the Hexar RF although have a higher top shutter speed, which may be usefull when you shoot wide open.....

Last edited by ISO : 06-25-2007 at 13:47.

Old 06-25-2007   #7
ISO

What body would YOU think, makes a nice package with this lens ?

Old 06-25-2007   #8
ferider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISO
Thanks, ferider. Can you give me some more details about the 10+ possibilities, please. Sure I was thinking about this myself, but I would be interested what you would do... M2 sounds nice. I am sure I would like it when I find a good example. Or even a M4P or M5 could be nice. But I am afraid with this "old" bodies that I will spend a lot off $$$ into CLAs and care. The Bessas and the Hexar RF although have a higher top shutter speed, which may be usefull when you shoot wide open.....
You can get a decent M2 with a CLA from Youxin Ye for less than US 600. And be sure that
the camera will work for a long time ...

I have never held the UC Hexanon, but from what I read it's very similar in size to the 35/2
Summicron or Canon 35/2. The Summicron is very well balanced on all M bodies.

Even though I own only few Leitz lenses I am biased towards their bodies (anything with 35mm frameline will
work for you). Other than the possible 6+ Leica bodies (M2, M4, M5,
M6, M7, MP), if you have no budget constraints, I would pick from

ZI, Hexar RF, Bessa R2* [3 possibilities], Canon (several ones), etc.

This lens will work even well on a Leica IIIf with finder ...

Cheers,

Roland.

Old 06-25-2007   #9
laptoprob
back to basics

Or a Canon VT like mine. Still not sure if I really want to sell it. Maybe the black Bessa T should go. Too many cameras is a waste in my opinion. But the Bessa T is not ideal because of the separate VF.
Otherwise I can reccommend an M2 or later M. I am quite happy with my M4-2.

You live and learn. At any rate, you live. Douglas Adams

IR and concert pics

Old 06-25-2007   #10
ISO

Thanks. A Bessa R would be ideal, because of the LTM but I may not like the built quality. Big on my list is also a Bessa R2, R2m or even better the R2a, because I like AE. But never handled theBessas as well. So I may be disapointed. ( In fact I hoped that you tell me to get one of the Bessas and go shooting.) As said before the pictures will look the same, but maybe a Leica or a nice Canon will give me much more fun and pleasure...

For the thread mount adapter. Will a $10 Chinese adapter do the same as the (expensive) CV or Leitz adapter? Any risks to ruin the mount on the body or the thread on the lens? Or problems with focus? Well, I just have this feeling that the CV adapter is nothing else, than the no name one from China. Any experience somebody? For a filter. Since this is an expensive lens, I think I should use a UV filter for protection. I never use filter on my fixed RF. What to watch out for when I want to get a "good filter" ? It may not make sense to put a cheap filter on a expensive lens, right?

Last edited by ISO : 06-25-2007 at 14:36.

No!
Old 06-25-2007   #11
venchka

Cool No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISO
...For the thread mount adapter. Will a $10 Chinese adapter do the same as the (expensive) CV or Leitz adapter?
A thousand times NO! Leitz or CV only.

Filters: 43mm B+W MRC only.
My Gallery
My Blog-Reborn

Old 06-25-2007   #12
laptoprob
back to basics

An adapter should be a precise piece of machinery. Not just the mount and the threads, but also the exact thickness. A little off and you have no rf accuracy left.

You live and learn. At any rate, you live. Douglas Adams

IR and concert pics

Old 06-25-2007   #13
ISO

Thanks guys... great advise !!

Little experience
Old 06-25-2007   #14
venchka

Cool Little experience

As I said, I've only had my lens for a little over two weeks. It works fine on the LTM Canon body and equally well (with adapter) on an M5. I also have the original, all chrome, 34mm filter size Canon 35/2.8. That lens is very small. One of the smallest lenses I've ever seen in LTM. It is 24mm long. The Konica lens is about 4mm longer and 8-10mm larger diameter than the Canon lens.
My Gallery
My Blog-Reborn

Old 06-25-2007   #15
KoNickon
Nick Merritt

Does anyone actually have experience with the Chinese-made LTM adaptors not being up to the standard of the Leitz or CV? (I've never seen one of these, but I find it hard to believe it's not made to the same tolerances.)

Old 06-25-2007   #16
ISO

Interesting question KoNickon. Does anybody have an answer here, before going back to the topic. Please do not forget, I still need a body...

Yes!
Old 06-25-2007   #17
venchka

Cool Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNickon
Does anyone actually have experience with the Chinese-made LTM adaptors not being up to the standard of the Leitz or CV? (I've never seen one of these, but I find it hard to believe it's not made to the same tolerances.)
Search here at RFF. There are people who have had problems with the lower quality adapters.

EDIT: Maybe I was lucky. I bought two Leitz adapters on ebay for a total of $80. I got a 3rd adapter with my UC-Hexanon lens. I don't think I payed all that much for piece of mind.
My Gallery
My Blog-Reborn

Old 06-25-2007   #18
ISO

Yes venchka, you are right. You should not buy a Porsche and put no name tires on it - to say it in other words. I think I will get myself a CV adapter and a B+W filter for this baby. For the body... Well, if I look for a Lieca what would be the better VF? 0.58 or 0.72? I do not have glasses yet, so thats not an issue. I heard that the M2 is maybe the best Leica for 35mm. Also, I got offered a (rare) 0.58 black MP lately, which is in fact my dream camera. But it may be hard to pay for this one....

Old 06-25-2007   #19
venchka

You missed a recent bargain user M5 in the classifieds here. There is another M5 currently for sale. There are two Canon bodies on the offering table. The one in the Netherlands might be easier to ship, customs, etc. You could patiently watch the classifieds here. There have been numerous, nice LTM & M mount bodies lately. Good luck! Welcome to the Fraternal Order of UC-Hexanon owners!
My Gallery
My Blog-Reborn

Old 06-25-2007   #20
ferider

There is a good M6 currently.

Roland.

Old 06-25-2007   #21
ISO

Thanks for the welcome venchka. I will pay my tribute soon and post some photos, hopefully. I will check the classifieds. A Canon could be sweet and fit into my little collection of classic fixed RF cameras. Or a Hexar RF, or a Bessa, or a Leica.... I am sure there is a camera waiting for me. Thanks for all your replies again and the good advise on thread mount adapters and filters for this lens.

Old 06-25-2007   #22
venchka

You are very welcome. I think there is a Hexar RF in the classifieds too. If it hasn't sold.
My Gallery
My Blog-Reborn

Old 06-25-2007   #23
ISO

Yes the Hexar RF from Israel. I saw better offers. But I like the Canon 7 - CLA'd by Sherry Krauter, but I am turned off by the wrinkled shutter curtain, even if this is a common problem with the Canon RF. I think the UC-Hexanon does not really fit to a Leica. For a Leica camera I would prefer a 35mm Leitz lens. CVs are Ok if you can not afford the Leitz, but the Konica Hexanon belongs to another camera. Than there is still the Bessas, which are kind of cheap and come with 3 year warranty if you buy them new here. I do not want to spent so much money on a film body anymore and also kind of like idea to have a "cheap" body, but very good lens. Well, I am not in a hurry. Got some nice fixed RF cameras at the moment, which are fun to shoot with. There was not even a need to buy this lens, but since I have not spent a lot of money on equipment, I thought this would be a nice purchase since it was available. Maybe I will never buy another 35mm lens, and hopefully do some nice pictures with this one...

Last edited by ISO : 06-25-2007 at 16:38.

Old 06-25-2007   #24
dreamsandart

If price isn't a consideration I would definitely say a black paint Leica MP. One of the nicest physical things about the Hexanon-UC is its beautiful finish and its a good match to a Leica black paint camera. One of the M6 special edition BP would be a second choice. Any Leica with a 35mm frame would be fine M2/M4/M5, but a nice small M6/MP with built-in meter would be a great combination.

Old 06-25-2007   #25
ferider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISO
Yes the Hexar RF from Israel. I saw better offers. But I like the Canon 7 - CLA'd by Sherry Krauter, but I am turned off by the wrinkled shutter curtain, even if this is a common problem with the Canon RF. I think the UC-Hexanon does not really fit to a Leica. For a Leica camera I would prefer a 35mm Leitz lens. CVs are Ok if you can not afford the Leitz, but the Konica Hexanon belongs to another camera. Than there is still the Bessas, which are kind of cheap and come with 3 year warranty if you buy them new here. I do not want to spent so much money on a film body anymore and also kind of like idea to have a "cheap" body, but very good lens. Well, I am not in a hurry. Got some nice fixed RF cameras at the moment, which are fun to shoot with. There was not even a need to buy this lens, but since I have not spent a lot of money on equipment, I thought this would be a nice purchase since it was available. Maybe I will never buy another 35mm lens, and hopefully do some nice pictures with this one...
While many of us will not agree with you on your statement about CV lenses (and
if only for the fact that several CV lenses are unique in their specs, see my avatar), your statement perfectly
demonstrates how subjective choice of the body is. Lens performance can be measured
or looked at via photos, the body has to be comfortable for you only. There is really no bad
M mount camera and most LTM cameras are good as well. Once you get closer to
purchase, I recommend playing with some of the cameras and then decide ....

"Buy one of the Bessas and go out shooting"

Roland.