Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Rangefinder Forum > Rangefinder Photography Discussion

Rangefinder Photography Discussion General discussions about Rangefinder Photography. This is a great place for questions and answers that are not addressed in a specific category. Take note there is also a General Photography forum.

Question about putting in INfrared film
Old 03-01-2005   #1
Alan

Question about putting in INfrared film

from what i have read, I have to load the film and unload the film in complete darkness. I know a changing back can be used but I don't think i can load the film blindfolded. I'm concern about damaging the shutter by accidentally touching it.
any pointers here? Thanks

Old 03-01-2005   #2
Honu-Hugger

Alan,
I understand your concern but believe you will do just fine. To build confidence sacrifice a roll of inexpensive film for practice. Go through the entire process in advance without looking as much as possible, in the daylight where you can see when you need to. Keep practicing until you can do it correctly without looking at all. Then you will be ready for the dark or the changing bag.

I have become so comfortable with the changing bag that I no longer rewind my film unless I have to in the field to replace a roll. At home I load film directly from the takeup spool in the camera to the developing reel, all in the changing bag. This lessens the chance of scratching the film during rewinding.

Good luck with your infrared; it's fun film to shoot and well worth the effort.

Old 03-01-2005   #3
SolaresLarrave
My M5s need red dots!

I have some rolls of EIR in the fridge and did exactly what Honu-hugger recommends: I grabbed a roll of film to practice how to load the camera in the dark, only I did it without looking at it, under light, in my studio, eyes pointing upwards or anywhere else except to the camera, so as to build confidence and learn to feel the process. I can load my camera in the dark (let me practice first) now!

I wonder what my wife would have thought of me if she had seen me loading the camera that way... Probably she would have been delicate enough not to say anything.
My Nikon D700 Neophyte's Guide
No longer selling any Nikon SLR glass...

Old 03-01-2005   #4
Alan

Is there anyway I can protect the shutter while practicing?
my main concern is touching the shutter accidentally.