Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

View Poll Results: Do you actually use your oldest camera?
Yes 459 80.53%
No 111 19.47%
Voters: 570. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-27-2007   #51
mcgrattan
-

The two oldest cameras I actually use are my Zorki 2c and the Kodak Retina IIc I bought recently. The Zorki is from '56 and I'm pretty sure the Retina is also. Both have had a lot of use in the past few weeks. In fact, they are the cameras I've used most in the past few months. I also have a Moskva-2 which is possibly a little older -- from the early 50s. I use that occasionally.

I have one older camera, a Zeiss Box Tengor 54 which, I believe, is a very early version. From around 1929. I've used it a couple of times. The pictures were surprisingly OK. In fact one of the few photos I've taken that my wife chose to frame was taken on this.

I haven't used it in a long time, though. So it'll probably get sold as I don't really keep cameras I don't use.

Old 05-27-2007   #52
Avotius
Monster Rancher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terao
Avotius, is that the standard aspect ratio for that camera or are those shots cropped? Fabulous shots...

Thanks a lot, I altered this camera to shoot 120 film so now the thing spits out a negative that is 6cmx15cm. So all the shots are not cropped besides the one shot of the guy which I cropped, then printed to 30 inches and looks great for a 100 year old camera if you ask me!

Old 05-27-2007   #53
Avotius
Monster Rancher

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILLC
Avotius,
The 4x5 back is for the #4 Cartridge Kodak not the 3A Kodak. I do have a sheet film back for the 3A that Kodak made. It uses 3 1/4 by 5 1/4 sheet film in special holders. You insert a frame with a ground glass to focus and then replace it with a holder. The focus scale on some 3A's flips up to give the focus for the sheet film back. I don't use sheet film much but have cut down 4x5 to 3 1/4 x 5, it is so much easier to use 120 roll film. Did you build a new film gate for your camera? Once again nice work.
Bill

very interesting, I need to look more into this it looks like. I always wondered what the flip up thing was for on the focus thing, seemed kind of weird to have it on their twice, but now I know. Now if I could fix the latch so it would stay closed without a rubber band.

I did the stupid lazy thing and just cut the tops off two ilford film cans to hold the 120 film in place. Not quite flat, not quite perfect but gets the job done as it would seem. Plus I have been working on taking the lens off another junker 3a and am going to meld it to my canon 20D. Test shots so far have shown the lens to be extremely sharp for something so old.

Old 05-27-2007   #54
John Robertson

While not the oldest in my posession, thats an ancient Kodak Hawkeye.
This camera was bought new as a present from my father in 1954, it was my only regular camera for 10years, then only used occasionally after I got my Fed2 in 1964. It still takes great pictures, but they are on 127 film, so I can't scan them in my film scanner. four speed metal focal plane shutter, and a Beck Anastigmat lens. So I've had this camera for 53 years
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Purma#1.jpg (112.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Purma#2.jpg (134.5 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Purma#3.jpg (159.5 KB, 39 views)
Purma Plus; Bessa R2; Bessa T;Fed2; Foca Standard x 2!!; Focasport 11 ;Fed Zarya ; AKW Arette 1c; Werramatic; Leica CL; ; Horizont 202; Olympus Trip35; Leica Mini3; Ilford Advocate: The Fed 2; Purma Plus and Ilford Advocate have been with me since they were new. (that makes me old )

Also other assorted junk (Digital camera )

Flikr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/15377338@N04/

Old 05-28-2007   #55
Kent
Finally at home...

Hi, John!

I guess I would buy a cam from you any time. You seem to treat your gear well. This Hawkeye looks mint, even after 53 years!
Main Lenses: Fuji, Voigtländer, Leica, Nikkor, Pentax, Sigma etc.
Click me...

Old 05-28-2007   #56
vha
Isn't it coffee time ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedwhite
How old is this one?
Would like to have one of those . . seems to be a perfect music festival camera
Have you worn it down like that yourself of was it a "user" when you bought it ?

vha

Mostly 4x5, Mamiya 7II or GRD III
A green Rimowa suitcase with leftovers
A vredeborch felica for the fun
A Aero ektar (got to have one)
Think i can spot a RF645 in the pile too . . .

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My Gallery

Old 05-28-2007   #57
tedwhite

It belongs to a close friend, photographer Matt Cook, who apparently bought it new and just used it, pretty much on a daily basis. He's had it CLA'd a few times but obviously never cared about the camera's appearance. He loans it to me whenever I want to shoot with that great Super Angulon lens.

rangefinder forum gallery

Old 05-28-2007   #58
lynn
lynn

This Balda Baldax is the most venerable camera in my collection: early 1930's, as far as I can deduce. I have fed it one roll of film, but, candidly, I need considerably more practise - or a tape measure - using zone focus.

Runners-up, age-wise, are a lovely Agfa Sychro Box generously given to me by G'man and Yankee Doll (I posted the results on RFF once-upon-a-time) and a Coronet 4-4, also a gift, from a favourite friend. I intend to use the latter for some sprocket hole images, and have longed to do so since I read this article:

http://filmwasters.com/blog/archives/date/2006/08

Oh...and the many-faceted filmwasters site is definitely one to bookmark!

Two-Muses

My Little RFF Gallery

My Flickr

Old 05-28-2007   #59
John Robertson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent
Hi, John!

I guess I would buy a cam from you any time. You seem to treat your gear well. This Hawkeye looks mint, even after 53 years!
Sorry my bad grammar, The Haweye is another camera this is the 1954 Purma Plus a British ( well made in Wales actually) camera. I found out later it cost my father three weeks wages, a hell of a lot of money at the time. Also my father died four years later so it has been very well looked after as it has great sentimental value. I would never sell it!!! I also have the original box, instructions, Focal guide, and advertising flyer, and receipt. When not being used it sits in a cabinet in my den. I also have the original lens hood and filter set in a little leather case. It started me on the long downward spiral into photography. At school I bacame the official class photographer, and made enough money from this to keep me in films chemicals and paper. Happy uncomplicated days.
Purma Plus; Bessa R2; Bessa T;Fed2; Foca Standard x 2!!; Focasport 11 ;Fed Zarya ; AKW Arette 1c; Werramatic; Leica CL; ; Horizont 202; Olympus Trip35; Leica Mini3; Ilford Advocate: The Fed 2; Purma Plus and Ilford Advocate have been with me since they were new. (that makes me old )

Also other assorted junk (Digital camera )

Flikr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/15377338@N04/

Old 05-28-2007   #60
Steve Bellayr

Waiting on an Agfa Karat IV circa 1954-7 rangefinder with Solagon F2.0 lens. That should be my oldest.

Old 05-29-2007   #61
Kent
Finally at home...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bellayr
Waiting on an Agfa Karat IV circa 1954-7 rangefinder with Solagon F2.0 lens. That should be my oldest.
Very nice lens, the Solagon 2/50! My Super Silette is equipped with it, too.
Click me...

Old 05-29-2007   #62
Kent
Finally at home...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Robertson
Sorry my bad grammar, The Haweye is another camera this is the 1954 Purma Plus a British ( well made in Wales actually) camera. I found out later it cost my father three weeks wages, a hell of a lot of money at the time. Also my father died four years later so it has been very well looked after as it has great sentimental value. I would never sell it!!! I also have the original box, instructions, Focal guide, and advertising flyer, and receipt. When not being used it sits in a cabinet in my den. I also have the original lens hood and filter set in a little leather case. It started me on the long downward spiral into photography. At school I bacame the official class photographer, and made enough money from this to keep me in films chemicals and paper. Happy uncomplicated days.
Anyway, it looks mint! I like your story about your father's cam.
My father gave me an old Franka scale focus cam which was his first "real" cam. I would never sell this one, either!
Click me...

Old 11-13-2007   #63
David Goldfarb

Here I am using my 11x14" American Optical from some time around 1890--

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/product...survival_x.htm

My oldest lens is a Voigtlander Petzval that's probably from the 1860s or so. I posted some photos of the lens and with the lens in this thread over on APUG--

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum44/2...tml#post245412

Old 11-13-2007   #64
Roger Hicks

Gandolfi Universal 12x15 inch. Not clear how old it is. Pre-Great War almost certainly; Eddie at Gandolfi reckons possibly 1890s. The three matched book-form plate-holders have reducing frames for 10x12, 8x10 and whole plate, and there's a panorama adapter for halving these frames. 6x15 inch, anyone?

A bugger to hand hold, though. The camera and holders, in the case, weigh 65lb/just short of 30 kg.

Cheers,

R.

Old 11-13-2007   #65
manfromh
I'm not there

I'm guessing that my oldest is an Agfa Billy Compur, though im not sure when it was made. And yes I use it

Old 11-13-2007   #66
tedwhite

David G. When I go to the APUG site I'm blocked because I'm not a member. Is there any way you can show us the lens?

rangefinder forum gallery

Old 11-13-2007   #67
David Goldfarb

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedwhite
David G. When I go to the APUG site I'm blocked because I'm not a member. Is there any way you can show us the lens?
Sure, here's an 8x10" Polaroid made with the Petzval.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg petzval.jpg (62.7 KB, 29 views)

Old 11-13-2007   #68
David Goldfarb

And here's a photo of the lens itself mounted on an 8x10" Sinar P with flange and waterhouse stops made by SK Grimes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Petzval.JPG (74.4 KB, 17 views)

Old 11-13-2007   #69
foto_fool

My IIIf is from 1952 but the Summar is from 1937. Also have what may be a real Zeiss Jena Sonanr form 1944. Cool.

- John

Old 11-13-2007   #70
David Murphy

Like a lot of you my oldest, and probably favorite camera is my Leica III. The Leica III doesn't know it's old -- takes pictures as good or better than any modern film camera with the right lens.

http://legacycamera.wordpress.com

Old 11-14-2007   #71
pvdhaar
Zoom with your feet!

I recently got my paws on an early 60's Voigtlander Vito CLR. That's the oldest one right now, but I've got it completely disassembled as the shutter's so lazy it needs a thorough cleaning.

Perhaps I'll use it when it's put back together, but it'll never be as satisfying to use as my second oldest camera, a 1970 M4..

Peter

My Hexländer Gallery

Welta Weltini
Old 12-09-2007   #72
Captain Bedworthy
silverimagelimited

Welta Weltini

That's the oldest I regularly use, though my Certo Certotrop folding bed camera sees service when I need a 2X3 view camera with interchangeable lenses. The Weltini was a wartime make, and the Certo is pre-war. When it was new the Weltini cost 150 reichsmarks, which I did some acrobatic digging into and it comes to over 500 modern dollars. I shot with the weltini this afternoon. It has a nice design, is as small as a retina, and has the same lens (xenar 2.0).

Old 12-11-2007   #73
FallisPhoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by doitashimash1te
What's the oldest camera you've got?
Anthony and Scovill (which later became Ansco) #4 Vest Pocket Camera, made in 1894. The bellows fell apart on it and needs replacing. I'm still looking for a replacement, but I think I'm going to have to build my own. Frankly, the camera is a train wreck, and I am going to have to practically rebuild it before I can do much of anything with it.

It used some weird kind of film that shot about a 4x5 frame, but in rollfilm format. I think I'm going to have to make a set of film sleeves for 4x5 film in order to use it. I don't want to spend $40 per roll geting aerial photography film cut up and custom spooled. Alternatively, I could cut a bit out of the back (it is made of wood) and install a simple spring clamp for 4x5 film holders (kind of like what is on the earlier Speed Graphics).

The most interesting thing about the camera is the aperture control; it goes from f/8 to f/256. I'm very interested in seeing what that f/256 is like, once I have it all put back together. I expect it is probably going to be a bit blurry. If a camera doesn't focus as well at f/22, I can only guess that f/256 would be worse. I'm curious though, and want to see for myself.

Last edited by FallisPhoto : 12-11-2007 at 06:46.

Old 12-11-2007   #74
hitmanh
dum de dum de doo

My current oldest is a Contax II from 36/37 that's rather a nice user... I do have an older Kodak roll film folder from 1922 that I keep meaning to try...

I don't care if you are afraid of shadows, diminishing MY rights because of your irrational fears is still wrong, will always be wrong, and always has been WRONG

Old 12-24-2007   #75
Al Patterson
Ferroequinologist

My oldest rangefinder is an Argus C4 I recently acquired from the auction site. It needs work before I can use it.

My oldest camera came from my grandfather, and is a 1920's vintage folding Kodak camera that uses 3 by 5 inch negative film. The last time Kodak made the film was in 1970 or so, and I did use that film until sometime in the early 1980.

The oldest usable camera I have is probably the Canon QL17.

Canon QL17 GIII
Leica CL 40mm Summicron-C 50mm Hexanon
Yashica Electro 35 GSN