Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > 35mm Film Range Finders > Leica Screw Mount Copies

Leica Screw Mount Copies Classic Leica Copy forum as listed in the book 300 Leica Copies, including but not limited to Nicca, Leotax, Honor, Canon etc. At one time there was a major part of the camera industry just trying to make a lower cost copy/dirivitive of the original Leica.

Light lube, but not CLA?
Old 05-23-2007   #1
mike goldberg
The Peaceful Pacific

Light lube, but not CLA?

If I remember correctly, several of our members have expertise in lubricants...
but I don't remember which members

THE ISSUE:
When I get a camera from an FSU seller which is a bit stiff, I've been spraying an industrial "light oily contact spray," made in Israel... especially near to the advance knob mechanism. Then, I'm careful to wipe up any residue with a cloth lightly dampened with alcohol and water. There is very little oil in this stuff; I can feel that
on my fingers, and it works wonders.

QUESTION:
Is this an OK practice, and if not, what's an alternative?
Thanks, mike

Mikes Faves:

http://www.flickriver.com/photos/mik...7622599834937/

Old 05-23-2007   #2
varjag
Eugene Zaikonnikov

Usually stuff like that is essentially a solvent, that can revitalise old grease for a while, but also relocates dirt inside, and inevitably dries out.

A proper solution would be to disassemble camera/lens, clean residue of old lubricant with a solvent, and apply a modern synthetic grease (for large/high torque moving parts) and, if necessary, synthetic watch oil (for axis of small gears, etc.).

My Flickr

Old 05-23-2007   #3
mike goldberg
The Peaceful Pacific

Thanks, Eugene...
It appears then, if I have an FSU shooter that I like such as the Fed-2,
there is no substitute for a proper CLA. mike

Mikes Faves:

Old 05-23-2007   #4
Xmas

Mike

If you can remove the baseplate or top plate from camera or the shutter module from a Kiev, then you dont have to do a Ruben and strip more, you can try camel hair brush and zippo fluid (petrol lighter fluid) brush on fluid to each bush and operate bush (if you can without parts flying about), apply more zippo, etc. you are trying to flow grease from bush.
Then you can try a light oil mini droplet on the end of a dentist tooth pick, I use PTFE liquid, for temperature stability, and lack of out gassing, the liquid will mix with grease residue (and any sand).

Taking small modules apart is the thing you should do - but life is too short for reassembly.

Noel

Old 05-23-2007   #5
mike goldberg
The Peaceful Pacific

Thanks Noel [Xmas]...
I've got a Fed-2c coming; we'll see what it needs.
mike

Mikes Faves: