Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Miscellaneous Topics and more > Repair / Camera Care

Repair / Camera Care This is a good place to discuss the care and repair of your photo gear. You can share Do-It-Yourself repair and maintenance, as well as your recommendations for pro repairs. This new forum was created 4/1/07. PLEASE title your thread wisely, so others searching for a certain make of camera or repair person can find your thread easily!

Canonet G-III QL17 film advance doesn't lock when shutter is cocked
Old 04-27-2007   #1
dhartse
I own a camera

Canonet G-III QL17 film advance doesn't lock when shutter is cocked

Just got a CLA on a Canonet with a stuck shutter and when I got it back, the film advance lever doesn't lock after the film is advanced to the next frame and the shutter is cocked--I could wind to the end of my film and never take a picture. (It worked fine before the CLA.)

My question is, should I care? The Canonet has a film indicator window that shows whether or not the film has been advanced and the shutter is cocked (it turns red and then turns white when the shutter is released), so I'd likely only skip a frame if I advanced the film without thinking about it. If I can't remember whether or not the shutter is still cocked, I can just look at the indicator.

I can send the camera back and have it fixed under a repair warranty, but I'm not sure it's worth the trouble. In fact, it could be handy in that it makes advancing to a certain frame of an already partially shot roll of film easy to do. What do you think? Should I just leave the camera as it is, or should I send it back for repair?

Thanks,
Duane

Old 04-27-2007   #2
Spyderman
Ondrej P.

This is an easy fix. Probably one of the linkages is bent and it doesn't engage the lock.

Here's an article by Rick Oleson: http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-30.html
The fix is described in the second drawing and you can see the parts in the picture right below...

Don't be afraid - it's not difficult. The hardest part is peeling off the leatherette

Old 04-29-2007   #3
dhartse
I own a camera

Thanks for the reply. I'll take that as a vote for fixing it. The procedure you linked to actually seems pretty straightforward. Had I not just paid for a repair/CLA I think I would have a go at it, but for the price of postage (about $10) I can send it back and know it's going to be done right--no surprises. Also, I won't have to worry about voiding my repair warranty should anything else go wrong in the next few months.

Duane

Old 04-29-2007   #4
Spyderman
Ondrej P.

Quote:
I can send it back and know it's going to be done right
Really? I think it was supposed to be done right the first time...

Old 04-29-2007   #5
dhartse
I own a camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman
Really? I think it was supposed to be done right the first time...
You're right, it should have been done right the first time. But, as the saying goes, "even Homer nods." The repair was done by a highly recommended repair person that offers a 6 month warranty on his work, and I'll pay for shipping to give him the opportunity to stand behind it rather than voiding my warranty. If my shutter decides to stick again in a few months or something else goes wrong I'd like to know I'm covered.

Duane

Old 04-29-2007   #6
dhartse
I own a camera

Of course, those who are quite comfortable fixing their own gear would have had no need to send it out in the first place. As for me, I'm probably as likely to make it worse as fix it, but that's just me and as people also say, your mileage may vary.

Duane