Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > 35mm Film Range Finders > Fixed Lens RF

Fixed Lens RF This forum is dedicated to the numerous and popular fixed lens rangefinders, including but not limited to the Canon Canonets, Konica III and S series, Minoltas, Ricohs, Vivitars, and so many others. Note fixed lens Olympus , Yashicas, Argus and Retina have separate forums.

Petri 7s Loose Barrel / Shutter leaf sticking
Old 04-11-2007   #1
john_van_v

Petri 7s Loose Barrel / Shutter leaf sticking

Boo Hoo !!

I opened the box yesterday, and I thought what a great camera.

The meter is dead on, it even seems to be more sensitive than my nearly new plastic Nikon.

It is a match needle system, with both the aperture and the speed right on the lens barrel, so you can guess the depth of field you want while shooting: not quite an OM-1, but the only range finder camera that I know that has this feature.

The Petri Color 35 is even nicer, as it has a purely genius control system with dials under the index finger and thumb, but, alas, the lens is only f2.8

I guess Petri died in the SLR battle when Leica forced the other RF companies into the SLR fray by improving the killer M series.

The only obvious down side to the camera, is the noise-- but it is a pleasant noise. There also seem to be lots of ways for dirt to get in.

After a while I realized that the shutter was clicking in only part of the time, and then I figured out that one of the shutter leaves was sticking.

This is how I found the leaf was sticking:

I did it by:

* opening the aperture wide open,
* opening the back,
* putting the exposure speed on B,
* cocking it, and
* pressing the shutter release
* while looking the the front of the lens out the back of the camera.

You can see if the leaves are opening all the way.

(This as a reference for anyone buying a Petri 7)

I am definately thinking about rolling the dice again.