Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Miscellaneous Topics and more > Micl Photo Acc / Bags/ Meters / Tripods etc

Micl Photo Acc / Bags/ Meters / Tripods etc A place to discuss the delights of photo accessories, including bags, meters, tripods, filters, straps, camera cases, lens hoods, anything non digital that can make your gearhead life a little bit more enjoyable.

Looking for a changing bag
Old 04-02-2007   #1
Michiel

Yesterday I was able to very cheaply buy a 35mm bulk loader and 25 never used film cartridges, so today I've been thinking about getting a changing bag.

I've done a search here and around the internet, but it seems it isn't a very hot item. Could you please let me know what bag you are using, and where you got it from? It'll help me on my way.

I'll probably make one myself (found several howto's) if I can't buy one easily.

Old 04-02-2007   #2
Ash
Selflessly Self-involved

Check *bay.

Mine came from my mother, and had been unused for years until I started constant use. No name on it.

The local vintage camera shop has a few. None have names. All the similar style. Black.

Old 04-02-2007   #3
rogue_designer
Reciprocity Failure

I use a collapsible hoop based one (think mini-dome tent) sold by Calumet called "Changing Room" - it provides pretty good clearance, and is big enough for me to load my 4x5 holders, as well as loading reels for processing without much difficulty.

Collapses down to an 18x1 inch circular bag - like a folding reflector, so it travels well.

---
My RFF Gallery | My Flickr | StreetLevel Photography

Old 04-02-2007   #4
drewbarb
picnic like it's 1999

I got a couple from the big NYC photo retailers for somewhere in the neighborhood of twenty USD each. See if you can't find something similar there- these things are so cheap, it hardly seems worth it to try to make one.

Old 04-02-2007   #5
kaiyen
local man of mystery

a changing bag is usually cheap. get the biggest you can if you go that route. But, as you might have inferred, they have no structure or shape to them. They are just a big bag.

If I had the money and could go back in time, I would get something like the changing "room" mentioned above. Lots of room with which to work. As mentioned, Calumet has one, but I think it's just a rebranded Photoflex one. They are more like $70 though.

allan

Old 04-02-2007   #6
Wayne R. Scott
Half fast Leica User

I also use a Photoflex changing room. Bought it from B&H.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...13&Submit.y=11

You'll be glad you did!! I have used 3 different size changing bags and they all were a pain to use. Then I bought the Photoflex model and my colorful language has been reduced tremendously.

Wayne
One's skill is never complete, one's knowledge is forever lacking, one's taste is invariably altered, one's opinion ever subject to controversy. There is a complete and constant urge toward improvement...
-Andrew Loomis.

"Good Judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement."

Old 04-02-2007   #7
fishtek
Don

Freestylephoto.biz offers their "Arista" changing bag for $19.95 plus S/H. Plenty large, elastic arm-holes, double-layered light-proof material. Double zippers, too!

Regards!
Don

T'ai Chi Ch'uan...Relaxation, with an attitude!
http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeryi0m/d...anassociation/

www.dmadson.photoreflect.com

Gallery

Old 04-02-2007   #8
SolaresLarrave
My M5s need red dots!

I will have to agree with Alan based on my own experience.

My first changing bag was a 15X22 inch thing. It worked fine, although with the tank and scissors and two rolls of film it felt like to crowded. So I went and bought a 22X27... and then I faced the enormous problem of the bag sticking to my hands, getting a bit too clingy inside and causing general problem. I was about to look for a customer to sell it when it ocurred to me that if I ever come across a bulk-loader and film, I will use it to put the film in the loader. After all, it seems to be the right size.

Good luck shopping!
My Nikon D700 Neophyte's Guide
No longer selling any Nikon SLR glass...

Last edited by SolaresLarrave : 04-02-2007 at 18:53.

Old 04-02-2007   #9
Michiel

Thanks for all the input!

It looks like I'll be shopping for a changing tent, instead of a bag.

I imagine the tent will be more usefull when developing as well.

Today I'm going to peruse some of the photographic supply stores in the larger cities of Holland. Hopefully they sell them, so I won't have to pay for shipping from the US and will be able to try them out a bit.

I'll keep this thread updated, and of course feel free to continue a changing bag discussion

Old 04-03-2007   #10
Pepe

There's an Englishman on Evilbay that makes and sells different sizes for about 25 EUR. I haven't seen them in local stores at all.

To me they all look far too cramped, and those tents far too expensive (I don't do large format). I'l use my downstairs bathroom. Lots bigger and just as dark.

Old 04-08-2007   #11
Michiel

For a short update:

Turns out all camera stores in the Netherlands have stopped selling these things months ago (seemingly all at the same time).

So now I've turned my attention to one of the largest Dutch online classifieds sites. Hopefully I'll be able to find a reasonably prices second hand changing bag.

Progress has also been made in making my bathroom light tight, so I might not need a bag anyway

Old 04-08-2007   #12
bob cole

[quote=Michiel]Yesterday I was able to very cheaply buy a 35mm bulk loader and 25 never used film cartridges, so today I've been thinking about getting a changing bag.

Michiel, if you get a changing bag, make sure it's new stock...I had one years ago and threw it away after 10 or l5 years of use because I was afraid it might have cracks or light leaks that I couldn't see... I believe mine was black cloth lined with rubber...What I did after that was to take my film to a local one-hour photo and ask them to change it inside their light-tight box...Most one-hour places probably can't deal with that but this was an independent Korean entrepreneur in Northern New Jersey who serviced his customers needs...

Old 04-08-2007   #13
traveller
Learning how to print

Fotoimpex in Berlin should have them, at least they are in their catalogue

Daddy, why does this man use a camera without a display? Be quiet, maybe he can't afford a real camera.

My Gallery
My Photoblog
My Flickr

Old 04-08-2007   #14
RML
Just live it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michiel
For a short update:

Turns out all camera stores in the Netherlands have stopped selling these things months ago (seemingly all at the same time).

So now I've turned my attention to one of the largest Dutch online classifieds sites. Hopefully I'll be able to find a reasonably prices second hand changing bag.

Progress has also been made in making my bathroom light tight, so I might not need a bag anyway
Michiel, have you checked Foto Nivo in Amsterdam? Just two weeks ago I got a universal Paterson dev tank there. No other place had any and eBay was pretty dear.

Join the Rangefinder Blog/Site Ring.

Old 04-08-2007   #15
Jamie123

Why don't you try Fotoimpex in Germany (http://www.fotoimpex.de/index.html)?

Old 04-08-2007   #16
dadsm3

No, get a changing bag, then just PRETEND you have to do it in the basement in the dark. Then your wife and kids think they can't come downstairs, and you can watch the game in peace.
Hey, just noticed I'm at 1,000 posts!!!!!

Last edited by dadsm3 : 04-08-2007 at 13:12.

Old 04-08-2007   #17
Michiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RML
Michiel, have you checked Foto Nivo in Amsterdam? Just two weeks ago I got a universal Paterson dev tank there. No other place had any and eBay was pretty dear.
Hi RML,

I checked a lot of websites of foto retailers before going out to Amsterdam, Den Haag and Utrecht, but Foto Nivo's website was too vague (as I remember), so I guessed they would be like most other camera stores out there and skipped them.

Do you know Foto Prisma in Utrecht? That one still has loads of chemicals and other odds and ends for the dark room on the shelves!

I will give Foto Nivo a call after Easter and ask them. Thanks for the tip!

Old 04-08-2007   #18
Michiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie123
Why don't you try Fotoimpex in Germany (http://www.fotoimpex.de/index.html)?
Hmm, I've downloaded their catalog. They seem to have a lot of other things I'm looking for as well. I enjoy looking through brochures like these

Old 04-08-2007   #19
Michiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadsm3
No, get a changing bag, then just PRETEND you have to do it in the basement in the dark. Then your wife and kids think they can't come downstairs, and you can watch the game in peace.
Hey, just noticed I'm at 1,000 posts!!!!!
Haha, it won't apply now, but I'll keep it in mind

As it is, I don't think I'll enjoy locking myself in the bathroom with my tv

Old 04-09-2007   #20
RML
Just live it.

If I'm after something I make a point of calling the store first. You're right about most of these websites being extremely vague and nondescript. But Foto Nivo caters to many pro photogs here and they're knowledgeable. IIRC the owner or his son frequents APUG and the Leica forum regularly.

Join the Rangefinder Blog/Site Ring.

Old 04-15-2007   #21
dostacos
Dan

I used to sit in a chair and pull a sleeping bag over my head and down my body then load the film into my bulk loader. just a thought